ADVERTISEMENT

Talking on ESPN now

Imagine watching ESPN nowadays. Their coverage is a joke.
Or reading barstoolsports..

Reactions: RebelinWA
How do you take a deal and not sign a contract before enrolling? Business 101
What an idiot. And he got a degree?
This whole NIL thing is confusing. It's not really well defined, and is different from state to state it seems. Some saying you can't have an agreement in place until your on campus, others saying that's not true. IDK. I'm not even sure if the universities know exactly how it all works. Leaves a lot to be desired which will definitely result in confusion and misunderstandings between the schools/NIL/players.

Reactions: bcvegaspt2
I miss the old days when we had powerful boosters that paid money to our old basketball teams.

Now we do things “correctly” and we still get shafted…

All we have to do is keep winning and rally behind Hajj and Friel.

Can make an interesting season for people to tune in to us..

Our coaches have to word things “correctly” though..

I think he's talking about ESPN national
Yes ESPN National. Pretty damning comments - no recruit should trust the word of UNLV. Even if there was a verbal commitment of $$ it will blowback badly on UNLV and Odom. Allegedly a verbal commitment was made by Marion. Unless the convo was recorded we’ll never know for sure. Blame on both sides to not document the understand of the relationship. This isn’t the 1980s anymore, the era of playing for the love of the game is long gone. It’s all about $$ and both universities and recruits need to protect themselves. In this regard UNLV should have known better. Highly regarded QBs don’t transfer for nothing. On the other side Sluka picked a rather convenient (high leverage) time to make his demand. Very poor handling by him and his representatives.

I think in the short term possibly, but long term Odom is on record for how UNLV handles its NIL arrangement and that each player is awarded the same NIL deal. Ricky White is an exception and he negotiated that with the collective. At least that's my understanding. If someone in his chain of coaches went off book and made verbal assurances that were not communicated to either party that seems like an issue with that coach...

Yes ESPN National. Pretty damning comments - no recruit should trust the word of UNLV. Even if there was a verbal commitment of $$ it will blowback badly on UNLV and Odom. Allegedly a verbal commitment was made by Marion. Unless the convo was recorded we’ll never know for sure. Blame on both sides to not document the understand of the relationship. This isn’t the 1980s anymore, the era of playing for the love of the game is long gone. It’s all about $$ and both universities and recruits need to protect themselves. In this regard UNLV should have known better. Highly regarded QBs don’t transfer for nothing. On the other side Sluka picked a rather convenient (high leverage) time to make his demand. Very poor handling by him and his representatives.
What if it was agent to coach - you need us, we are doing well —- give us more. Coach: FU. Agent runs to press.

Optics are everything unfortunately, truth is tertiary.

There are sooooo many holes in Sluka's side of the story.

1) I don't believe anyone made a verbal offer of $100,000....BS.

2) If there was a verbal contract for $100k why did you wait for 4 months of $3k payments to bring this to the coach's attention.

3) You admit you received $12k in 4 separate payments of $3k each. If you were being paid that $12k, wouldn't that mean you had a contract? They're not going to pay you out of the goodness of their hearts. If you were paid that $12k and there was a contract.....was that contract for $100k? I'm guessing no and you wanted an increase after the 3-0 start, or you've been offered that much to play somewhere else.

4) Why did you bring it to the coach's attention and not the admin of the NIL fund?

5) If Marion made this guarantee, why not talk to him?

6) If Marion made an offer of $100k why wasn't this memorialized in August when you got on campus?

7) The best piece of evidence WHY ARE WE LISTENING TO ANYONE WITH THE CROMARTIE NAME?!!?!?!?!?!?!?

The Sluka story makes no sense and sounds like an hostage attempt by Sluka to get cash and he failed. He hired an NIL agent after the Kansas win? Shady.

I’m not sure where he goes that will offer him any money, considering he just bailed on his teammates in the middle of a potentially historic campaign. Not a strong character guy, imo and I do understand chasing money but business should have been handled before Houston.

We’ll miss his running ability but now we can see how much better the passing game is with Haj and he isn’t a terrible runner either.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Reading about Marion I remember when he arrived a Pitt fan stopped by here to tell us how greasy he is.

If he did in fact go rouge and promised things Odom wasn’t aware of Is this just the beginning with Marion and more things will be uncovered?
What evidence is there to support these claims?

Riiiiiiight.

“We left there understanding that we were going to get a certain dollar amount for Matt to come there on the NIL deal, not a blowout number, but a reasonable, fair number,” Bob Sluka said, adding that Matthew later received more than 25 NIL offers from other schools, including Big Ten and SEC teams, that were “four, five times the amount money we were willing to take from UNLV.”

So he got big time offers from major programs and turned them down to come compete for a job at MWC powerhouse UNLV without a contracted NIL agreement in place?
sounds legit....
Yeah if he was supposed to get $100k that means he had offers for $400-500K. Makes sense. He and Carson Beck same thing.

• Haha
Reading about Marion I remember when he arrived a Pitt fan stopped by here to tell us how greasy he is.

If he did in fact go rouge and promised things Odom wasn’t aware of Is this just the beginning with Marion and more things will be uncovered?
I’ve evidence and only from articles I’ve read of Marion but his track record of moving from program to program doesn’t suggest someone who values long-term relationships so it’s not difficult to reach a conclusion that he might have made such a comment. Context matters so even if he made a $100k comment he may not have meant what Sluka or his agent thought they heard. Still, it wouldn’t surprise me if this is Marion’s last season at UNLV. Odom doesn’t need these kind of headaches. He’s paid his due in college football and is building a program the right way and with integrity and gaining the appropriate positive recognition. This kind of stuff can really make recruiting much harder. Odom doesn’t need nor deserve that.

I’ve evidence and only from articles I’ve read of Marion but his track record of moving from program to program doesn’t suggest someone who values long-term relationships so it’s not difficult to reach a conclusion that he might have made such a comment. Context matters so even if he made a $100k comment he may not have meant what Sluka or his agent thought they heard. Still, it wouldn’t surprise me if this is Marion’s last season at UNLV. Odom doesn’t need these kind of headaches. He’s paid his due in college football and is building a program the right way and with integrity and gaining the appropriate positive recognition. This kind of stuff can really make recruiting much harder. Odom doesn’t need nor deserve that.
That’s quite the logical jump. He likes to move around a lot so he’s the type of guy who might make a verbal offer of $100k to a olayer

I do agree this is probably his last season at UNLV

Chances are we will never know. But, (and there are a lot of ifs) if the QB didn't get his promised $100,000; and if his agent went to Coach Odom and demanded $300,000 that just doesn't make sense. Also, when did the agent first represent the QB? Was it when he first came to UNLV or was it after they decided they wanted more money?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT