ADVERTISEMENT

Success breeds changed outlook

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Last year I was happy Odom was successful enough to at least fill the roster. Now, after some success, I find myself looking much harder at each recruit for quality. Interesting the difference a successful year can make.

Last year I was happy Odom was successful enough to at least fill the roster. Now, after some success, I find myself looking much harder at each recruit for quality. Interesting the difference a successful year can make.
I think it’s more than just “success”. You can fluke into it for a year because things just sort of lined up and clicked. That may be the case with Odom but I don’t think so.

Because more than success … I saw little things besides the wins that add up … his style/personality as a coach, very balanced and grounded, I think that was reflected by the players. The open offense showed that we could spread the field and dilute weaknesses, so I’d call that making the most of your personnel. The attitude of the players, they seemed, as a team, never too high, never too low and pretty focused throughout … call that accountability or expectations …. That we could overachieve without it being by a ton of flukes … we actually LOOKED the part of a real college football team instead of a confused bunch …. I thought discipline was better too …

None of it was perfection or close to it. But I feel like overall, it was more strong in each of those areas than we’ve seen before.

I think it’s more than just “success”. You can fluke into it for a year because things just sort of lined up and clicked. That may be the case with Odom but I don’t think so.

Because more than success … I saw little things besides the wins that add up … his style/personality as a coach, very balanced and grounded, I think that was reflected by the players. The open offense showed that we could spread the field and dilute weaknesses, so I’d call that making the most of your personnel. The attitude of the players, they seemed, as a team, never too high, never too low and pretty focused throughout … call that accountability or expectations …. That we could overachieve without it being by a ton of flukes … we actually LOOKED the part of a real college football team instead of a confused bunch …. I thought discipline was better too …

None of it was perfection or close to it. But I feel like overall, it was more strong in each of those areas than we’ve seen before.
What the coaching staff showed me was they could make the halftime coach adjustments to keep UNLV in every game outside of Michigan. Kansas fans got really nervous in the second half. If the QB didn't get sloppy and the secondary lost, UNLV could have come all the way back. Get a little more speed in the secondary and find a QB with moderate talent who doesn't panic and UNLV will do fine!

That one sack after the turnover on first down was really the killer. Score on that drive and it becomes a much different game. We had all of the momentum, and then it really swung the game.

Hoping that last season will open recruiting doors and many of us think it will. Continued success will be the key and I like the chance this staff gives this team.

A lot of areas were much improved for sure. Special teams were pretty good, the ability to run a 2-minute offense at the end of halves or games was different, in a good way, for around here. We didn't have a ton of idiotic plays like blowing up the punt returner before he could catch it or late hits out of bounds. What we did have an insanely high amount of was false starts by the O-line. I know in one game the opponent got flagged for simulating the snap but holy crap these guys had so many, even mid to late in the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT