Dec 31, 2006
Players average last year.

Bedford - 14.6
Thomas - 13.6
Cherry - 11.0
Hill - 10.7
Henley - 8.6
Whaley - 7.3

Add to that a hopefully improved Hicks with N'Diaye, Evans, and Whiting.

We have a really good chance for a balanced scoring team that will be a nightmare to defend.

Agree. We have lots of players who can score. We just need to open things up a little. Our pace of play has held us back. For example: We would make a steal and then turn around and give the ball to Dedan, instead of looking up court for a quicker and easier basket. I hope Coach Kruger recognizes our missed opportunities and picks it up next year.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I wouldn't count on Hills numbers... he might not even be ready to go by the start of the season. ACL/knee injuries on big men are tough to over come quickly. I get he's a stretch type guy, but I wouldn't count heavily on him or his average for a while.

Bedford - 14.6
Thomas - 13.6
Cherry - 11.0
Hill - 10.7
Henley - 8.6
Whaley - 7.3

We have a really good chance for a balanced scoring team that will be a nightmare to defend.
I’m not falling for the trap of everything going our way and us maximizing the season. Some will dip, some will be better then we expect, but invariably, season to season, when you have a question mark or reasonable expectations, there is more that fall on the wrong side.

You can still succeed with that, but that means you need a lot of toughness and focus.

There’s also the every year assumption that players will be on the same page and it always fails as well. Some fractionation, cliques - it happened last year too.

I’m not predicting disaster or greatness, no good feel other than what we see on paper … and then there’s our recent track record. But no, I’m not biting … it’s not like we killed it with incoming guys being better than the departing guys, we didn’t nail game changer types.

So I’ll wait and see.

I concur. I'm not pushing the chips on the table putting guarantees and that we will be better than last year. Somehow I think we "over performed" last year and were closer to the early part of the season than the last over all, we just hid it better by winning close games. We still blew a ton of leads late in games and had a couple no show blowouts. Maybe the improvement comes as a more balanced team rather than 1 for 1 production replacement where 1-5 give you starter quality and you 6-9 give you that 10-15ppg you need to close games out or come back when down that our bench last year didnt...

I concur. I'm not pushing the chips on the table putting guarantees and that we will be better than last year. Somehow I think we "over performed" last year and were closer to the early part of the season than the last over all, we just hid it better by winning close games. We still blew a ton of leads late in games and had a couple no show blowouts. Maybe the improvement comes as a more balanced team rather than 1 for 1 production replacement where 1-5 give you starter quality and you 6-9 give you that 10-15ppg you need to close games out or come back when down that our bench last year didnt...
And even that good winning streak the last 5-6 weeks of the season …. While it was good and got us back into the conference race, context matters. I guess it was 9-2 down the stretch. Really good wins vs UNM and CSU AND SDSU. Can’t take anything away from them for that, those are good wins. But then the other wins, Wyoming x 2, Fresno x 2, a really bad AF team, sweeping SJSU … and then we were swept by UNR.

So finally, they smothered the bottom of the conference, the really pitiful teams … that’s taking care of business with ease, no reason to splatter your chest in the morning with those.

But that’s the slate in front of you, you don’t choose your opponents, gotta take care of what’s up next. And they did for the most part. But I do think wins against really, really weak teams - and remember, some were tight, I think one went to OT … had as much to do with the “improvement” as much as actual improving as a team, if that makes sense. Had the conference schedule been flip flopped, I think we would have started strong and been in the race and then faded late.

I’m not falling for the trap of everything going our way and us maximizing the season. Some will dip, some will be better then we expect, but invariably, season to season, when you have a question mark or reasonable expectations, there is more that fall on the wrong side.

You can still succeed with that, but that means you need a lot of toughness and focus.

There’s also the every year assumption that players will be on the same page and it always fails as well. Some fractionation, cliques - it happened last year too.

I’m not predicting disaster or greatness, no good feel other than what we see on paper … and then there’s our recent track record. But no, I’m not biting … it’s not like we killed it with incoming guys being better than the departing guys, we didn’t nail game changer types.

So I’ll wait and see.
I think basketball is wait and see every year it seems, though I do think we have our best shot at the NCAA in a while. Depth at a minimum looks a lot better. A lot depends on that ORU guy if he can shoot and rebound like he did there that opens up a lot for us. If not then probably another NIT season unless some big surprise like a huge Hicks leap.

Reactions: dcut03
I think basketball is wait and see every year it seems, though I do think we have our best shot at the NCAA in a while. Depth at a minimum looks a lot better. A lot depends on that ORU guy if he can shoot and rebound like he did there that opens up a lot for us. If not then probably another NIT season unless some big surprise like a huge Hicks leap.
We said this last year too!
I’m not trying to jump on you but this team is not better than last year’s team on paper, not yet anyway. They may punch above their weight class next year but it doesn’t look like they will!

Slow the boat...NCAA team? on paper this is a fringe 7th or 8th place MW team...We have 1 amazing player, one we expect to come in and be that great support player, a solid returner, and a bunch of question marks that we hope can contribute or step way up quicker than we've seen happen in a decade.. there's a better chance we finish by playing a Wednesday conference tournament game than an NCAA game this year. Sorry if that's harsh, but man, so much has to go right between the big returning 3 and the incoming class to even be competitive. There's just way to many question marks and dependence on young guys getting meaningful minutes and turning that into positive contributions.

Glenn Taylor Jr. Fellow former Cheyenne HS player.
He'd be a key missing piece to get excited about watched a lot of him at St. Johns this past season. Really like his game would love to hear we could bring him home though thought I saw he'd indicated to return to Oregon State.

Last edited:
I will take a contrary view. UNLV will be better because the guard play will be much better. First, DJ is coming back and will be a sophomore. As the late Al McGuire would say, the “best thing to happen to a freshmen is to become sophomore”. DJ will be one of the top 3 pg’s on the west coast. Next, Webster and JJ are replaced by Bedford and Whiting. Not to say anything negative about Webster who gave it his all, but he was very limited from an athletic standpoint, a defensive liability and his stat line jumps off the page in this regard. 33% from 3, 39% overall and only 1.6 rpg while playing 24 minutes. I actually think Whiting has much better athleticism and he finished 49% from the field and 50% from 3, similar rebounding numbers and as a sophomore playing 14 mpg in the same MWC. Athletically, Bedford is a big step up from Webster and better in every phase of the game. Also, Hicks will be better. I like JJ. But he is better off at Fordam.

The baseline will be a lot more physical and will have MUCH better rebounding as a group. Overall, this team will be better.

Last edited:
I will take a contrary view. UNLV will be better because the guard play will be much better. First, DJ is coming back and will be a sophomore. As the late Al McGuire would say, the “best thing to happen to a freshmen is to become sophomore”. DJ will be one of the top 3 pg’s on the west coast. Next, Webster and JJ are replaced by Bedford and Whiting. Not to say anything negative about Webster who gave it his all, but he was very limited from an athletic standpoint, a defensive liability and his stat line jumps off the page in this regard. 33% from 3, 39% overall and only 1.6 rpg while playing 24 minutes. I actually think Whiting has much better athleticism and he finished 49% from the field and 50% from 3, similar rebounding numbers and as a sophomore playing 14 mpg in the same MWC. Athletically, Bedford is a big step up from Webster and better in every phase of the game. Also, Hicks will be better. I like JJ. But he is better off at Fordam.

The baseline will be a lot more physical and will have MUCH better rebounding as a group. Overall, this team will be better.
And if … when they’re not? When they’re the same team, essentially?

So I do think the staff filled most of the holes on the squad in the two recruiting periods, but how functionally the replacements work--and also how well the returning players develop--will determine the future of this staff. It's so hard for me to count too much on freshmen and JuCos to be impact players in their first year--though there are examples on last year's team where you did get instant impact, I would caution that historically that's not the rule but the exception to it.

I don't think we have more talent than last year on paper, but I think we also have fewer holes and our depth pieces are better. We have a lot more people comfortable handling the ball, we have a couple of (hopefully) improved catch and shoot outside threats, and we have several guys who can now create shots and get to the rim either in iso or off a screen game. I'm also hoping that this will be a better locker room, but that's another thing you can't predict before hand until there are some hardships.

I think for this team to be a legit tournament team, you're going to have to see 2-3 returning players really improve their game and you're going to need at least one of the transfers to really over-perform.

Honestly, this is a roster where I would be very comfortable going 9 deep and pushing tempo. Your bigs are all athletic and can run, multiple ball handlers and barring injuries a decent amount of depth and size off the bench. I don't think that will happen because of :gestures at last 3 years:, but you could.

I respect the opinion of "we can run with this team." However, we won't run for more than a couple of weaker opponent games at the most. I think that the entire Kruger family has a pact to not become a running team.

To the rest of you,
I would love to become the optimist that you are all becoming but I just don't see it. I am optimistic about Dedan and Bedford, just not so much about the rest of the players. Maybe Whaley. HOPEFULLY Hicks.

Boise State will be our backup PG. Does he look like he will develop into a running PG? You typically recruit to your style. Maybe there's some hidden athleticism there that I don't see, that Boise didn't see, that any of his former coaches didn't see...

Coach Cal didn't win with Freshman McD's against the grown men of college. I'm not so optimistic about our young players having huge impacts. Maybe Evans. Maybe. Pape sounds like (maybe) Diong and the other guy who preceded him (really nice guy who tried hard).

Bear's highlights were against Dantley Walkers so I'm not so optimistic there, either.

Sorry that I'm now 'that guy' but I can't fool myself anymore.

We said this last year too!
I’m not trying to jump on you but this team is not better than last year’s team on paper, not yet anyway. They may punch above their weight class next year but it doesn’t look like they will!
I definitely didn't I thought they were more like an NIT team. High end talent was better but depth was weak. This team has much more depth. Plus a returning Dedan where we know what he is. I don't think they will make the dance I am wait and see but like their chances better than last year.

Reactions: rebel5280
I respect the opinion of "we can run with this team." However, we won't run for more than a couple of weaker opponent games at the most. I think that the entire Kruger family has a pact to not become a running team.

To the rest of you,
I would love to become the optimist that you are all becoming but I just don't see it. I am optimistic about Dedan and Bedford, just not so much about the rest of the players. Maybe Whaley. HOPEFULLY Hicks.

Boise State will be our backup PG. Does he look like he will develop into a running PG? You typically recruit to your style. Maybe there's some hidden athleticism there that I don't see, that Boise didn't see, that any of his former coaches didn't see...

Coach Cal didn't win with Freshman McD's against the grown men of college. I'm not so optimistic about our young players having huge impacts. Maybe Evans. Maybe. Pape sounds like (maybe) Diong and the other guy who preceded him (really nice guy who tried hard).

Bear's highlights were against Dantley Walkers so I'm not so optimistic there, either.

Sorry that I'm now 'that guy' but I can't fool myself anymore.
This is my take, but maybe a tiny bit more negative. Way too many question marks to be talking about anything post-season with any confidence at all in May.

This is my take, but maybe a tiny bit more negative. Way too many question marks to be talking about anything post-season with any confidence at all in May.
Yup, relies on way to many things to go as planned or better and that just doesn't happen. It's not like last year where we knew we had DTJ and the Boones and Hill coming. This year we've got best PG in league and then a whole lot of Questions... that's not saying we can't compete, but even the most rose colored take requires critical analysis of the roster and the risks associated with needing young talent to step in or step up immediately

On paper, this is not a 7th or 8th best team in the league. Especially after nearly every top team in the conference lost practically all of their best players.
Even just DJ alone, with some of our additions puts us at least the top half of the conference.

I agree on paper that last season's team is better in terms of raw, proven talent. Throw in the injury and eligibility factors? It gets a little closer. But I would still give the nod to last season especially with all of the experience.

I do think that this is a more complete team. With better depth at all positions, with the biggest upgrade at the 2 spot for sure.

But, and the big but, for us to take the next step we need to play better team basketball. If we continue to stand around a look at our lead guard ( Hamilton, Harkless, Thomas) then we will likely look a lot of the same. We need to play inside out more effectively and share the ball better more in general. This goes with the chemistry element.

I'm hopeful for this year. Not so much as we go forward.

IMO, this is the year we will start to see separation between the haves and have-nots. Many of the best players in G5 left for better futures in better leagues. Many of the Power conferences got a chance to shed their dead wood and those players will end up in the lower conferences, including ours. It will start to show up as the season progresses and each year it will expand till there is a larger gap between the lower and upper conferences.

The average National viewer doesn't care or is even happy about this because the product at the top end will be better. The teams at the very top will be very competitive with each other. It will make good T.V.

The only ones who will care will be the fans of lower teams like ours as their team gets left behind. And gradually we become like Ohio Valley and Southland conference fans. Interested - but barely.

Better start looking at a smaller venue.

Reactions: jmcnamaraiii
I am not optimistic about Hicks at all. A good amount of people are mentioning that he will make a big jump. What did you see from last season that warranted that opinion or is that assumption just based on him being a year older? I'm really wondering. I think he will be a role player off the bench during his time here; not someone that can start and contribute 25+ minutes.

I hope I'm wrong and he improves a lot and contributes.

I am not optimistic about Hicks at all. A good amount of people are mentioning that he will make a big jump. What did you see from last season that warranted that opinion or is that assumption just based on him being a year older? I'm really wondering. I think he will be a role player off the bench during his time here; not someone that can start and contribute 25+ minutes.

I didnt see anything other than you hope that with volume of minutes he gets back into the flow of becoming the shooter/scorer he was in HS. He often looked lost to me. Im not even sure hes a starter and some are penciling him in as if he's going to score 10-12ppg. Id love to see that Bryce type improvement, but so much happened with Bryce that created the growth. and with more guys that can push for minutes, if he doesnt provide the jump people are looking at him to make, hes going to be buried into that 5-10 minutes per game role.

Bedford - 14.6
Thomas - 13.6
Cherry - 11.0
Hill - 10.7
Henley - 8.6
Whaley - 7.3

I love your optimism, but let s win against the Sothern s and Loyol Marymount s first and beat SDSU again and not lose to AFA and then determine what nightmare transpired! I get tired of being disappointed every year! 😁

Hard to argue this POV!

Many if not all that think Hicks is going to contribute meaningful minutes consistently, are based on nothing! He looked out of control most of the time. Our freshman here at UNLV are mostly like Hicks and less like DJ, meaning that don’t contribute until their senior year!

He’s quick off the dribble, can shoot etc.

The PROBLEM is that he’s too easy to defend, because all your defending is either a shot or that same move he always pulls in a game.

He’s got the tools to be a stud, he can do a lot of things. The question with Hicks is whether he can expand his offense with new moves other than that pump fake thing he does every time.

He’s quick off the dribble, can shoot etc.

The PROBLEM is that he’s too easy to defend, because all your defending is either a shot or that same move he always pulls in a game.

He’s got the tools to be a stud, he can do a lot of things. The question with Hicks is whether he can expand his offense with new moves other than that pump fake thing he does every time.
I like his motor, he has good athleticism and is pretty fast with the ball.
I think he definitely has potential. I didn't like him as our de facto starter, but I like him as a back up with Jailen joining the team.
He seems like the type that could likely stick around. Probably won't raise his profile enough to be poached, but still improve to a solid rotation player (possible starter) if he sticks around.

Hard to argue this POV!

Many if not all that think Hicks is going to contribute meaningful minutes consistently, are based on nothing! He looked out of control most of the time. Our freshman here at UNLV are mostly like Hicks and less like DJ, meaning that don’t contribute until their senior year!
Hicks out of control? Not at all, drove to the middle many times and was too scared to shoot it knowing if he missed he would get pulled out. He just needs some confidence and a longer leash.

Hicks out of control? Not at all, drove to the middle many times and was too scared to shoot it knowing if he missed he would get pulled out. He just needs some confidence and a longer leash.
If all he needed was more time, he would have got it. Webster was awful and when Hicks came in he was at best inconsistent! There was a reason why his leash was short behind a terrible 2 guard, Hicks wasn’t any better or he would have easily been on the floor more!

If all he needed was more time, he would have got it. Webster was awful and when Hicks came in he was at best inconsistent! There was a reason why his leash was short behind a terrible 2 guard, Hicks wasn’t any better or he would have easily been on the floor more!
He was a freshman and looked like one out there. That’s not a knock on him, he did show flashes of his potential. He is a quick, smooth shooter and will go to the hoop.

Again, the problem is developing an offensive repertoire. That’s only going to be acquired through experience and with experience comes confidence. I think he’s a dark horse candidate to start with the caveat is that he trains hard this summer. (Work on your FTs)

He’s also one of those guys that can be plugged in at multiple spots, so either way he could have a big role next season whether that’s starting or being the 6th man. IMO.

I definitely don't see starter next year. I think he is one of those players who will start only his senior year but still be a contributor as a junior. But who knows can't always predict development, but he strikes me as that type of player.

I also thought that Hicks seemed out of control in the sense that he played way too fast all the time. He needs to reel it in and place with pace. That is one thing about DJ that makes him great; his pace and ability to not play rushed.

I do agree that Hicks can only improve his overall game by getting real time reps. All of that half speed stuff in practice will help, but marginally. Not sure how much he plays with Bedford in the fold now. Seems to me like Bedford will be the main offensive weapon, Whiting will be the backup 1, and Hicks will slot in as the backup 2? (even though i dont view him as a SG). Theres a lot of questions and moving parts for me personally when it comes to Hicks.

Last year’s team was better on paper than what we have now IMHO. But for some really poor coaching to prep the team for the season the team should have made the NCAA. I enjoy reading everyone’s takes about the players we have coming and expectations. Even with the most rosy projections I am still left with doubt from the ability of the coaching staff to put the pieces together and coach them up in a system that takes advantage of their strengths. It took the staff half the season to figure out what they had last year so I’m reluctant to believe that they have it all figured out for this season. I sure hope CKK learned from the mistakes made last season, especially with preparations, and has a better approach this year. If there’s one person on the team to make a major jump from last year I hope it’s CKK. He could have the largest impact on next season than any one player.

Last year’s team was better on paper than what we have now IMHO. But for some really poor coaching to prep the team for the season the team should have made the NCAA. I enjoy reading everyone’s takes about the players we have coming and expectations. Even with the most rosy projections I am still left with doubt from the ability of the coaching staff to put the pieces together and coach them up in a system that takes advantage of their strengths. It took the staff half the season to figure out what they had last year so I’m reluctant to believe that they have it all figured out for this season. I sure hope CKK learned from the mistakes made last season, especially with preparations, and has a better approach this year. If there’s one person on the team to make a major jump from last year I hope it’s CKK. He could have the largest impact on next season than any one player.
This!

Being reasonable and balanced is forbidden on this board. Take it elsewhere.

Difference maker could be DJ. He was incredible as a freshman. With a year under his belt he could be down right scary and carry the team. If the shooters can actually shoot and the interior guys have good hands and rebound, we have a shot.

Looks like right now backcourt will be better then front court, were asking alot from new comers to come in and provide depth. I really like 6'7 SF to come in.

I want to see if KK has fixed the offense, will we run and get some easy baskets, or back to who hits 65 and wins.

I want to see the schedule, i know Memphis is at home, since were going to there place in 25-26. No reason for not getting Utah/BYU on home and home, time to step it up and play people at the Mack, i want to see a crowd at least 10k this year. Lets bring the excitement back.

Bedford - 14.6
Thomas - 13.6
Cherry - 11.0
Hill - 10.7
Henley - 8.6
Whaley - 7.3

Everyone is penciling in Cherry for a big role, including Kevin. But if he doesn’t pan out we are flat out screwed at the 5.

For what it’s worth, Karl Jones averaged 10pts a game coming out of JC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT