ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice Day 6

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
Armani Rogers finished Monday's 11 v 11 drills with a number impressive throws. There is no questioning this young man's arm talent. He show's good accuracy, is able to throw the ball with touch and the ball comes out of his hand quickly. Johnny Stanton has had a solid camp as well. I would go so far as to say, had Stanton been this sharp last season the quarterback battle would have been decided in the Spring and not carried over into the Fall. This is good news on two fronts for Rebel faithful. First it means that Rogers is being pushed and is not going to win the job by 'default'. Secondly the Rebels will have quality depth at the position and two players capable of starting.

Defensive end Roger Mann took more snaps with the first team defense today. Mann, Finau, Jones and Zepeda have been getting the bulk of the reps with the first and second team defense.

Gabe McCoy recorded a 'sack' today (QBs were not live) and seems to be adjusting well to his new/growing role at outside linebacker. McCoy has been an intriguing prospect since he came to UNLV as part of Coach Sanchez' first class. McCoy played defensive end at Pittsburgh High School in California where he registered 18 sacks his senior year. The knock on McCoy coming out of high school was, despite having a great first step and strength that belied his stature, at 6'2 200 lbs he was probably to small to play defensive end at the next level. After red shirting his first year, McCoy began transitioning from defensive end to outside linebacker. He saw some action as a situational pass rusher last season, recording 9 tackles, 1 sack, 1 TFL and a fumble recovery. McCoy has added probably 15-20 lbs since being recruited and is absolutely chiseled. He has been a fixture with the first team at outside linebacker since day one of Spring camp. The Rebels have struggled to get pressure on the QB for some time now. If UNLV hopes to reach a bowl this year their pass rush has to improve. McCoy could prove to be a key piece to improving the Rebels ability to get consistent pressure on the QB.

Armani Rogers finished Monday's 11 v 11 drills with a number impressive throws. There is no questioning this young man's arm talent. He show's good accuracy, is able to throw the ball with touch and the ball comes out of his hand quickly. Johnny Stanton has had a solid camp as well. I would go so far as to say, had Stanton been this sharp last season the quarterback battle would have been decided in the Spring and not carried over into the Fall. This is good news on two fronts for Rebel faithful. First it means that Rogers is being pushed and is not going to win the job by 'default'. Secondly the Rebels will have quality depth at the position and two players capable of starting.

Defensive end Roger Mann took more snaps with the first team defense today. Mann, Finau, Jones and Zepeda have been getting the bulk of the reps with the first and second team defense.

Gabe McCoy recorded a 'sack' today (QBs were not live) and seems to be adjusting well to his new/growing role at outside linebacker. McCoy has been an intriguing prospect since he came to UNLV as part of Coach Sanchez' first class. McCoy played defensive end at Pittsburgh High School in California where he registered 18 sacks his senior year. The knock on McCoy coming out of high school was, despite having a great first step and strength that belied his stature, at 6'2 200 lbs he was probably to small to play defensive end at the next level. After red shirting his first year, McCoy began transitioning from defensive end to outside linebacker. He saw some action as a situational pass rusher last season, recording 9 tackles, 1 sack, 1 TFL and a fumble recovery. McCoy has added probably 15-20 lbs since being recruited and is absolutely chiseled. He has been a fixture with the first team at outside linebacker since day one of Spring camp. The Rebels have struggled to get pressure on the QB for some time now. If UNLV hopes to reach a bowl this year their pass rush has to improve. McCoy could prove to be a key piece to improving the Rebels ability to get consistent pressure on the QB.
Thanks!

So Pantels will be doing everything? No rotation like last year? Is our 2 really the 5'4 kid from the Congo?

Bull
Thanks for the update. Your post sounds like it is right through the up rights. I really get a "kick" out of your practice reports. I'll punt the thread to someone else.

All right, I will kick in my 2 cents worth. Been on strike for a while due to the censorship but have been going to the practices. Our receiving corps could be a nightmare for opposing teams. Devote Boyd always does something spectacular, Keyes is a big strong fast receiver that a small DB won't be able to cover and maybe the surprise to me so far has been Brandon Presley. And the scary thing is that he will be our #4 receiver. The other guys are showing a lot of promise as well.

It might be that whoever turns out to be our best blocking & pass catching RB will get the lion's share of 2nd & 3'rd down reps this year.

I may have said too much already so I am gonna kick it back to you guys!

PS agree with Joe re: Armani. he had some great throws today and the thing that is so different about him is his height. He is able to put good zip on the ball and not have to put arc on shorter passes to get it over the linemen because his release point is so high.

Hey, I try to avoid verbs and veritables. Hate V-words, my middle intials a V. Good thing with a name like Michael Smith. Six at UNLV in '69 where I matriculated. Didn't get a piece of parchment though, to busy with high kicking dancers.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT