ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice Day 5

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
Today was the first day of full pads and the Rebels responded with a spirited practice. One of the highlights of camp is always the 'Rebel' drill. The drill is confined to a 'corridor' about 5 yards wide and pits two offensive lineman, a wide receiver, and a running back against one defensive tackle, a linebacker and a defensive back. At the snap of the ball, the defensive tackle tries to split or hold up the two offensive lineman to make the tackle on the runningback or free up the linebacker to make the tackle. The receiver engages the defensive back 10 yards down field. This is a physical drill that forces guys to win one on one battles. Mike Hughes and Jason Fao both proved to be difficult to handle, especially Fao who registered what would have been a tackle for loss and a forced fumble with a great individual effort. The biggest hit of the day came from 5'8 220 lb linebacker Daniel Godfrey a walk on red shirt freshman from Sierra Vista HS here in Las Vegas. Godfrey's hit had the entire defense and coaching staff fired up. It might be difficult for a guy like Godfrey to break the two deep, but the coaches have to like this kids effort and aggressive play. He seems to make a big hit nearly every play.

There was some shuffling in the secondary and some new guys getting looks with the first team. It was the first time Javin White and Demetrius Gibbs were paired opposite one another at safety. During 11 on 11 White made a nice leaping grab for an interception. At 6'2 and close to 200 lbs he has the build and athleticism you like to see in a safety.

Kendall Keyes continued his strong camp making a couple of tough catches in traffic. I mentioned this in a previous recap, but it's worth saying again, Keyes' return will not only help relieve the pressure off of Devonte Boyd in the passing game and give his QBs a big target, but he is a very good blocker in the run game. Not something you always attribute to wide receivers. With the return of Keyes, Presley and Woods, teams will not be able to shade coverage towards Boyd. Boyd who is poised to break a number of UNLV's receiving records this year made his presence felt early in practice, with a big gain on an Armani Rogers pass.

JUCO transfer defensive end Roger Mann received some reps with the first team defense. Until today he had been primarily running with the second team.

The defense lost seven starters from last year to graduation. That has created a number of interesting position battles I expect to heat up as younger players and transfers become more comfortable with the defense. There are a couple of recruits coming in the fall that could push for time as well.

One obvious difference in year three for Coach Sanchez vs year one, is the increase in quality depth, especially along the offensive line and at the wide receiver position.

Damn it... Out...Get Out...

You never know, it might come down to one of those plays where we need the field goal to win. One of those things where if we know who our kicker is, its either a great thing because they just won us a game, or a bad thing because they missed a chance to win the game.

At the 1:00 mark you guys can see Godfrey's hit on Williams. Whites interception also shown at :45 second mark. Video doesn't do the Godfrey hit justice. It was loud....Real loud..

Check out @unlvfootball's Tweet:

As long as the cannon comes home. And stays home.

YEEEESSSS!!!

I'm not picking a side in the fun banter - I'm actually getting a 'kick out of it, but at the 8:50 mark is a great example of the talent we need to win the close games and get the tough W's! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

PS - from 3:00 to 3:15 could not be better timed on comments and gameplay - showing exactly where this program is going.

YEEEESSSS!!!

I'm not picking a side in the fun banter - I'm actually getting a 'kick out of it, but at the 8:50 mark is a great example of the talent we need to win the close games and get the tough W's! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

PS - from 3:00 to 3:15 could not be better timed on comments and gameplay - showing exactly where this program is going.

I'll allow this...

Reactions: RedCannon
Looked like a very athletic interception!

Also, your LB has the build of Frank Summers. I'd love for him to be part of the goal line package for us defensively.
Oh - my!!! Frank the Tank!... with the line we have now... Dear God that would be fun...
I agree on the goal line defensive package, but I say also give the young man the ball on the 2 yard line on offense... :bomb::boom:

Oh - my!!! Frank the Tank!... with the line we have now... Dear God that would be fun...
I agree on the goal line defensive package, but I say also give the young man the ball on the 2 yard line on offense... :bomb::boom:

I don't know if Godfrey will ever break the 2 deep but pretty sure the rest of the linebackers are sick of hearing 'if you played half as hard as Godfrey!'..

YEEEESSSS!!!

I can not believe some of our awesome P#un$s were not in the vid. Ah... I mean special teams play...I hope no one is offended.

I once was in a bike race. Had a group of guys, we were one of the the Modelo Especial teams. Had our own jerseys and everything. You know what the kicker was? Free beer afterward, not bad. Know Modelo isn't my first choice of beers, but I'm not going to turn down a free punt, I mean pint, of anything. Let alone several!

I once was in a bike race. Had a group of guys, we were one of the the Modelo Especial teams. Had our own jerseys and everything. You know what the kicker was? Free beer afterward, not bad. Know Modelo isn't my first choice of beers, but I'm not going to turn down a free punt, I mean pint, of anything. Let alone several!

I see what you did there...

Out...Get Out....

Reactions: RebelinWA
Dude,
Send me a punt...ah...I mean pint.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT