ADVERTISEMENT

So you are saying there is a chance.

Would u take a chance on him if Brumfield and maybe a couple others leave?? New coaching staff and they are bringing their own players in from previous spots might think he is expendable !
Brumfield’s half season versus maybe this guy lasts the entire season. Is that a question you’d like for me to really respond to?

Maybe the entire QB room has an easier time of grasping the playbook now that Arroyo isn’t making them solve the Pythagorean Theorem to fully understand the offense.

If the coaching staff thinks it’s worth bringing in a player that the HC spent an entire year with: Yes, I’d take him in a heartbeat.

Would u take a chance on him if Brumfield and maybe a couple others leave?? New coaching staff and they are bringing their own players in from previous spots might think he is expendable !
Absolutely bring him in. Potential next level athlete. I like brumfield, but hasn’t stayed healthy. Doesn’t mean these QBs may leave either way. Better to stay proactive and build competition. Everyone will be on equal playing field with Petrino learning new system.

Brumfield’s half season versus maybe this guy lasts the entire season. Is that a question you’d like for me to really respond to?

Maybe the entire QB room has an easier time of grasping the playbook now that Arroyo isn’t making them solve the Pythagorean Theorem to fully understand the offense.

If the coaching staff thinks it’s worth bringing in a player that the HC spent an entire year with: Yes, I’d take him in a heartbeat.
his stats are not good or even mediocre. Yea he might excel or be able to run the system better against lesser talent in the MWC ,but i think if Brumfield can stay healthy and i the right system he might take that next step. https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/4429133/malik-hornsby

Reactions: reagan21
but i think if Brumfield can stay healthy
THIS is why you need to bring in other QB’s. Brumfield may stay healthy for 5,6 games but history has shown multiple times that he’s NOT staying healthy an entire season.

I’m not optimistic about his prognosis to remain healthy as you are. I absolutely hope I’m wrong but 3 seasons worth of data show that he won’t.

That feeling when you and the village idiot agree..

It's hard to describe exactly but it's awful.

He's thrown a total of like 40 passes in his career.

Kinda hard to make a reall assessment on a guy.

Take a look at Caleb Herrings numbers prior to his senior year..Not pretty.

It was bad enough he was moved to WR at one point.

But he figured it out and had one of, if not the most efficient seasons a Rebel QB has had in the last 20+ years.

I'll gamble on athleticism everytime.

Get him in the building. Let him compete for the job. Wins it great, if not if he has the skill set move him to WR.

I noticed the tweet regarding Malik Hornsby, but I couldn't find any other tweets or news that backed up the idea that UNLV is one of three teams he is looking at transferring to from Arkansas. While Brumfield will hopefully have a great season next year, the coaches must also make plans to cover injuries, transfers, or graduation. I am not sure how many years Brumfield has left considering he redshirt 2020, had limited play time during 2021 due to injuries, etc.

Does Brumfield have 3 more seasons left? It appears Malik still has 4 season left!

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I noticed the tweet regarding Malik Hornsby, but I couldn't find any other tweets or news that backed up the idea that UNLV is one of three teams he is looking at transferring to from Arkansas. While Brumfield will hopefully have a great season next year, the coaches must also make plans to cover injuries, transfers, or graduation. I am not sure how many years Brumfield has left considering he redshirt 2020, had limited play time during 2021 due to injuries, etc.

Does Brumfield have 3 more seasons left? It appears Malik still has 4 season left!

People seem to be dismissing the idea that Bailey could win the job.

I think he will definitely be in the mix.

I'm actually surprised we haven't seen Friel enter the portal to be honest.

People seem to be dismissing the idea that Bailey could win the job.

I think he will definitely be in the mix.

I'm actually surprised we haven't seen Friel enter the portal to be honest.
Bailey got the skills, I dont think he got the mental capability to lead a team. He looks like an airhead to me.

Reactions: rebel5280
Bailey got the skills, I dont think he got the mental capability to lead a team. He looks like an airhead to me.

Go watch his film from Tennessee. Looks like a completely different guy.

You are making an assessment on a guy we saw very limited reps from.

He wasn't great this year, no doubt, but there's as much good tape from Tennessee as there is bad tape from here.

I would not count him out from potentially winning the job outright.

Last edited:
Go watch his film from Tennessee. Looks like a completely different guy.

You are making an assessment on a guy we saw very limited reps from.

He wasn't great this year, no doubt, but there's as much good tape from Tennessee as their is bad tape from here.

I would not count him out from potentially winning the job outright.
Now I know exactly how it feels to agree with the Village idiot.

Here's the thing. Even if he doesn't win the job, you can put packages together for him.

You get inside the Red zone/short yardage situations, bring him in at QB to run zone read stuff. It takes hits off of your starter.

Last edited:
Here's the thing. Doug's going to keep the locker room together long enough for new staff to convince enough guys to stay, but I'd rather see SEC 4 star QB transfers competing in the backfield than a guy who throws just an ok ball and is statistically only effective when he's running, which means healthy and not tentative. There's a definite talent difference between next level QBs and Doug, and we're probably poor judges of actual QB play since its been terrible for years outside a few here and there.

Here's the thing. Doug's going to keep the locker room together long enough for new staff to convince enough guys to stay, but I'd rather see SEC 4 star QB transfers competing in the backfield than a guy who throws just an ok ball and is statistically only effective when he's running, which means healthy and not tentative. There's a definite talent difference between next level QBs and Doug, and we're probably poor judges of actual QB play since its been terrible for years outside a few here and there.

While I agree with the sentiment as a whole, and still think Bailey could win the job, he was a 4* SEC QB and lost the QB battle against Doug.

You definitely make a play for the guy but his 4* rating and SEC ties hardly make him a sure thing.

Last edited:
He's not a good QB. Brumfield is better. Hornsby is fast but he goes down very easily. So that means he's a quarterback that can't throw very well nor makeup for it with his feet. I'm not sure where he could play because he doesn't like contact.

Reactions: RebelScrub
I would let coach Petrino decide who can best run his system. Malik hasn't started any football games in the SEC but he wants to play QB. I think he deserves a opportunity to compete against Doug for the job.

He is one of the top 5 QB's in the portal. He is similar to other QB's Petrino has coached. Doug has not shown us that he can run the football and stay healthy. Remember Petrino is QB Coach and OC so Malik and Doug will go through the same off season program. I would think that Footwork and Passing mechanics will be very different from what Arroyo had them doing.

I don’t need to see anymore video on this kid. Anyone who thinks UNLV couldn’t use an athlete of his caliber just doesn’t know football. I hate making comparisons, but I think Petrino could definitely work this kid up much like he did with Lamar Jackson.

I don’t need to see anymore video on this kid. Anyone who thinks UNLV couldn’t use an athlete of his caliber just doesn’t know football. I hate making comparisons, but I think Petrino could definitely work this kid up much like he did with Lamar Jackson.

He isn't Lamar, but he doesn't have to be. Similiar skill set so I understand the comparison especially with the Petrino connection.

I think this is more of a fair comparison.

Floor- Armani Rogers
Ceiling- ??? Who knows. Dude is a top tier athlete.

You definitely take a chance on him.

If there's a chance this guy comes, you take it. There's a new staff so nobody's starting spot should be assured. Everything is about earning it. DougieB wasn't the same quarterback after the concussion--whether that was from the bell ringing itself, or lack of reps, or something else I'm not sure how anyone can see how the QB position played out the last 2 years and not be stumbling over yourself to add Hornsby to the QB room.

In the history of the program I think we've had like 9 rivals 4 star recruits most via transfer. How do you for a second not take another one.

I swear, the number of bad hot takes on this board makes Colin Cowherd look like Howard Cosell.

I’d love to see both lines improved with this staff, they must have connections to help our weakest links with this team. We need some road graders in the interior and some big bodied, long armed and light on their feet OT types and then the same interior type DL guys bookended with two edge rushers who have effort on every snap! If they do that, everything else will fall into place. Having said that, you bring in Hornsby if nothing else, for competition!

Reactions: ricovegas
So if he signs we are going to have 2 i say 2 former 4* star QB recruits that will be on the roster that left their respective schools for reasons that they could not crack the lineup. If he is willing to MAYBE change positions then YEA sign him. Brumfield almost left us the last time we signed the last 4* and i do agree the Brumfield regressed over the year after the injuries. We may of lost even more games had he never came back. We do also i believe that we still have that 3* star from Hawaii still on the roster. RS???

Reactions: CRhodes1983
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT