ADVERTISEMENT

Sneed. What to expect.

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
Maybe @Pistol Pete 1 or @RebelinWA or @rebelbuck can chime in here as well.

These were my observations of Sneed during the Spring and Fall..

I don't see everything the coaches see and don't have their insight or knowledge so take this with a grain of salt.

Strengths-

Mobility- He isn't as fast as Palandech or as physical as Stanton as a runner. However he avoids the rush pretty well and if the play breaks down he can get you 10-15 yards. He can run zone read stuff, but doesn't sell it like Stanton. I think he is better or more dangerous when plays breakdown vs designed runs. I will say this though, despite not being the biggest guy he does not shy away from contact and will lower his shoulder and finish runs.

Touch- Throws a nice catchable ball. Threw a number of pretty fade/back shoulder passes during 11 v 11 scrimmages especially in the redzone.

Intangibles- I think he has that 'it' factor. Guys really seem to respond to him in the huddle. After a big run or completion he is the first one to congratulate his receivers or backs. Teammates seem to feed off his energy.

Unknown-

Arm strength- Didn't see him uncork a lot of deep passes or throw 10-15 yard outs.

Weaknesses-

Release-Maybe this is me, but he seemed to have a slightly long release. Ball doesn't get out of his hands quickly. Not a huge issue and something that may have been corrected. Just something I thought on a few of his passes.

Playing within offense- Not sure this is a weakness per say but he seemed to have more success when plays broke down vs getting rid of the ball quickly or on time. Not suggesting he can't play within an offense just that he was better when things were chaotic.

More Unknowns-

Why was he #3 for most of camp?- He typically only ran with the 2s and 3s vs the 2s and 3s. This makes evaluating him a bit more difficult. Stanton was essentially the starter the day he signed his letter of intent. However Sneed was unable to take over the #2 spot until Palandech hurt his shoulder prior to the start of the season. I think its fair to assume the staff was more comfortable with Palandech over Sneed. That begs the question, what changed the last few weeks? Is Palandech still banged up? Did things start to click for Sneed now that he was seeing the #2 reps and preparing as though he might play?

In all honesty I don't know what to expect this Saturday.

Hoping he can complete some early passes to get confidence and the run game keeps their defense honest.

I m worried about Sneed's longevity. His run has a fair amount of acceleration, he's faster than Fire engine number nine Matt Stafford. However, he doesn't have the top end break away speed Palandech does, nor the muscle mass linebacker breaker run that Stanton does. Nor is he the most elusive guy. On the couple of keepers we saw him run, he has enough of a feel for whats going on to exploit the natural breaks in the defense. Sneed looked patient enough to wait for the play to develop before running. He isn't shy of contact, but he doesn't look for it like Stanton does ( not a bad thing). He also isn't afraid to run it up the middle like Palandech, who we mostly saw as an edge runner.

His IS the most accurate qb we have (not counting Rogers since I haven't seen what he can do when he's comfortable with the offense). Can't say much about Sneed's arm strength, but as long as he can manage, and get the ball where it needs to go in the short game al a Russell Wilson, we'll be more than fine. He definitely CAN do that. Luckely we have a line that should be able to protect him long enough to give him some confidence and just enough offensive weapons that we won't have to have him do too much too soon.

I would probably rate him as the teams best all around qb/ the most complete qb. Not the fastest, not the strongest, but he does well enough at everything to warrent a start. (Again this isn't counting Rogers)

Last edited:
As Bull will testify I was banging the table last year for Sneed to come in. I didn't think Palandech was the answer then and don't now. Our starter just kept getting hurt and in hindsight I bet the staff wishes they had made the move. Sneed does things that QB's do. He appears to bond with the guys. He looks like he has that attitude that says I CAN DO THIS, PUT ME IN...as opposed to I want to be a QB.

The game has evolved so much over the last 10 yrs that if you can't pass the ball effectively you really can't be effective at the college level (with few exceptions). A QB that can run the ball is a desirable quality but ultimately not totally necessary. As I said (tongue in cheek) in the thread entitled "Sneed" pass the damn ball, that's what QB's do. I wouldn't have a QB on my team that can't pass the ball. That's what QB's do.

At the last scrimmage this fall Sneed showed me that he was fighting his ass off for this opportunity. He led the 2 nicest drives of the day mixed with nice passes and gutty runs. The last drive was capped with a 20 yd run for a TD that was nothing short of spectacular. He showed he has heart and passion. The other 2 QB's not so much. He doesn't want to play QB, he knows he's a QB.

I love what Sanchez said which is what we on this board have been saying in so many words "He has a live arm" and that this may be a "spark that we need". Hopefully he is seeing that the guys are responding to him in practice and he is getting their respect because he does those QB things.

He reminds me a little bit of Jon Denton. A little cocky, gunslinger attitude and a good arm. However if he can't get it done then it's time to find somebody that can. As a coach I don't think you can fall in love with a player. If you want respect you have to treat them all the same at this level.

I like what I'm hearing fellas, QB is played between the ears we could use an "it" factor guy. I have already put the loss to Idaho behind me and ready for Fresno. I thought this article was great.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/opinio...v-football-never-gets-old-2-longstanding-fans

Honestly I really don't know what to think, when evaluating Sneed. A lot of--- This is good, BUT scenarios.

In all honesty he probably ran more succesfull drives than any other QB in the Spring and from what I saw in the Fall.

BUT...

He did it against the 2nd and 3rd defenses.

Going by the eye test, I thought he was easily the 2nd best QB in Spring and Fall.

BUT

The guys paid to make that decision and who know and see a lot more than I do felt differently.

I could see him being a sparkplug for the team and getting us a win on Saturday.

OR

It goes really bad.

Usually I don't like to sit on the fence when making predictions or evaluating players. Right or wrong I will give an honest opinion of what I expect.

BUT

In this scenario, I have no idea...

Last edited:
Yes he did it against 2'nd & 3'rd string defenses but then again he was running with the 2'nd & 3'rd string offenses. He really had a chemistry with Cui so I hope they get to hook up a couple times this week.

It seems as though we have been misled by JC stats on Blake Decker and Stanton. I am thinking that maybe the disparity between JC's with good programs and the rest is huge. The good programs get all the guys that are like Stanton or guys that were good enough for D1 but failed to qualify. And the rest of the JC's get the guys that got no offers out of high school but just wanted to play a little more football before they hung the cleats up.

And I agree Bull, I am making no bold predictions about Saturday night but I am hoping that they allow him to open it up a little bit and stretch the field. Maybe the OC went to bat for Sneed because he can bring something to the table the other 2 can't. The cool thing is that Fresno doesn't have any film on him so they might not prepare correctly. Hope the coaches take advantage of that.

Sec 108 Row 3 (Which is row 1) Seats 1&2

Fresno Gives up 260 ypg rushing. We are averaging 250 ypg. Best thing we can do is pound the ball, use the screen game or quick easy throws to grow Sneeds confidence early. If we can get the rush game going not limit turnovers we will be in this game.

Sanchez essentially called out the DB's after last game so I expect that group to play better. If we can replicate what we have been doing against the run (150 ypg) and generate 3-sacks and some pressure like last game ( I know we can always do better) , then I think this will be a game we have a shot at winning.

It seems as though we have been misled by JC stats on Blake Decker and Stanton.
Call me crazy, but the only thing wrong with Decker in my book is that he was injury prone. If Decker was healthy last year, we were AT LEAST a 5-win team. Frankly, from what I have seen so far, I'll take a healthy Decker over a healthy Stanton (not that JS can't grow/develop...)

Reactions: willlevi
Call me crazy, but the only thing wrong with Decker in my book is that he was injury prone. If Decker was healthy last year, we were AT LEAST a 5-win team. Frankly, from what I have seen so far, I'll take a healthy Decker over a healthy Stanton (not that JS can't grow/develop...)
You are right about Decker, he wasn't bad. Maybe a better person to throw in would have been that receiver that Sanford brought in that was a former 4 star outta high school. Supposed to be the best receiver of all time and he hardly got on the field. Forget his name but I do remember he had a grill that lit up the night!

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
You are right about Decker, he wasn't bad. Maybe a better person to throw in would have been that receiver that Sanford brought in that was a former 4 star outta high school. Supposed to be the best receiver of all time and he hardly got on the field. Forget his name but I do remember he had a grill that lit up the night!

Aaron Streiten (Have to check spelling)

When the highlight of your career is coming down with a potential game winning catch out of bounds you know its not good. This lead to Sanfords epic meltdown and refusal to leave the field at Iowa State...

I vividly remember listening to that game on the radio (no tv available) and pacing around my living room as the radio guys (Sandler/Pritch?) described the team staying on the field, Sanford yelling at anyone and everyone he could find, and generally not knowing what was going on. But I feel like a few days later some grainy footage emerged -- from a news station or something -- that showed that he firmly had a foot along the back line of the endzone. I'd love to see a picture/video of that, tho.

No , the radio call was by the terrible Dave McCann, who consistently hit us with Gems like this "Takes the hand off , beats a man turns up field , loss of 1". Or my favorite " Steichen over the middle to Flair , caught, dropped".
Good call. Just looked up the 2006 media guide and sure enough it was McCann and Pritch on the call back then.

Oh how I hated when McCann was on UNLV games ... especially if the opponent was BYU.

Fresno Gives up 260 ypg rushing. We are averaging 250 ypg. Best thing we can do is pound the ball, use the screen game or quick easy throws to grow Sneeds confidence early. If we can get the rush game going not limit turnovers we will be in this game.

Sanchez essentially called out the DB's after last game so I expect that group to play better. If we can replicate what we have been doing against the run (150 ypg) and generate 3-sacks and some pressure like last game ( I know we can always do better) , then I think this will be a game we have a shot at winning.
That's what I was thinking: pound the rock with a good RB rotation (let's see more X!) and mix in a ball-control short passing game to keep the chains moving. Gotta take the lid off, occasionally, to keep them Dawgs honest, tho!

Reactions: mvvsmith
That's what I was thinking: pound the rock with a good RB rotation (let's see more X!) and mix in a ball-control short passing game to keep the chains moving. Gotta take the lid off, occasionally, to keep them Dawgs honest, tho!

Hear, hear - I second that, motion to vote!

Coach has said the running game is a main part of our identity. Let's shove our identity down their throat, ... let them stack the box,.. I think we could still run the way our line seems to be showing up. 3 1/2 yds per carry = touchdown every drive... and a very tired Fresno D in the end. The short passes keeping them honest... TEs have a huge game. This game is too easy, give me a clipboard and headset!! [roll]

You gotta love this comment from Sanchez about Sneed "He's got the fire and the guys are excited about him". Kid owns about every passing record in Arizona 5a. Old high school coach says that "When the pressure builds, he feeds off the pressure, he doesn't succumb to it. The bigger the game, the bigger the moment, the better he plays".

You just can't say too much about chemistry. It sounds as though this is what the team has been wanting.

Go Rebels!

He kind of reminds me of Tate Martell. Except Sneed did a lot more with a lot less. Our offense is a sleeping giant. When we figure out the qb slot, we will put up strong numbers. For the first time in a long time, there are very few posts about us not being talented enough.

I think he's a steal. From what I've read, he would be at Arizona or Arizona State if he was a little bigger.

Local papers/writers that covered him were shocked by how little attention he received.

I mentioned before, I thought he was at least the 2nd best QB during spring practice.

I would have said the clear #1, but he didn't get enough reps with and against the 1s to make a fair evaluation.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Local papers/writers that covered him were shocked by how little attention he received.

I mentioned before, I thought he was at least the 2nd best QB during spring practice.

I would have said the clear #1, but he didn't get enough reps with and against the 1s to make a fair evaluation.
It sounds to me like he got the shaft because he was a Hauck recruit. We could have another Caleb Herring situation where the team turns it around because the head coach goes with a quarterback that they didn't recruit.

It sounds to me like he got the shaft because he was a Hauck recruit. We could have another Caleb Herring situation where the team turns it around because the head coach goes with a quarterback that they didn't recruit.
When you're a winner and have a serious competitive fire (as Sanchez does) you'll play a player's mom if she gives you the best chance at a victory.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT