ADVERTISEMENT

Signing Day

1Tripoda

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Aug 13, 2009
Please post who sign during this early signing period. We dont expect much. San Jose already have 27 committees.Other MWC top teams are signing huge numbers.....

Not much to get excited about yet IMO. Will sign between 5-10 most likely and several that do aren’t highly recruited players. Hopefully they are just in scramble mode to get bodies and this isn’t a sign of things to come, otherwise we will be getting very low grades on most of our classes.

Not stressing out at all, it is be expected given the circumstances, just something to monitor moving forward. Should get a glimpse of their recruiting prowess between now and February and will know exactly how well they are able to recruit a year from now.

They did land OL Mathew Greene from CO. So that puts us up to 4 known commitments for tomorrow assuming they all sign. Guessing there are at least a couple more that we don’t know yet, but who knows.

Weirdly I am hoping for a Bobby Hauck style list of surprise names on signing day. Also most tranfers tend to be a little less publicised until they sign.

Fingers crossed

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Interesting start. I’m pro Odom and Petrino, but not sure how I feel about going for so many FCS prospects. Has a very Hauck feel to it.
Unfortunately, they got a very late start, and Arroyo hardly had any HS guys committed. I'm hoping we can pull more from the portal, at least in this 1st year, but we'll see what happens.

Ya get it. I’m hoping it’s just because they need to fill schollies, due to arroyo not being able to bring HS kids the last 2 years. Expect better talent in year 2 and 3 recruiting classes or will start being concerned.

Extremely early but let's be honest, this has been putrid so far. This has rebuild written all over it. Which is the exact opposite thing the AD sold us with the hire.
In upcoming years, I'll definitely have higher expectations for HS players, but this year, I think the portal will be more important. That, and our current players. Most HS players aren't ready to make an impact immediately.

Extremely early but let's be honest, this has been putrid so far. This has rebuild written all over it. Which is the exact opposite thing the AD sold us with the hire.
Why do people keep using that word, rebuild? I think we have enough on the current roster to compete in the MWC, I really do. Transfer Portal for 2023 thanks to Arroyo's shortcomings, and then 2024 going forward will be more "normal." How are we crapping on a new coach less than 2 weeks after taking a job for his recruiting of all things? It doesn't make any sense. Recruiting is an art that requires relationships. Odom is not going to get the players he's been recruiting to Arkansas to just flip to UNLV. That's not how it works. He was put in a bad position. He knew that coming in. He's going to have to hit the portal hard. We'll know more about our team leading up to and after spring practice.

Why do people keep using that word, rebuild? I think we have enough on the current roster to compete in the MWC, I really do. Transfer Portal for 2023 thanks to Arroyo's shortcomings, and then 2024 going forward will be more "normal." How are we crapping on a new coach less than 2 weeks after taking a job for his recruiting of all things? It doesn't make any sense. Recruiting is an art that requires relationships. Odom is not going to get the players he's been recruiting to Arkansas to just flip to UNLV. That's not how it works. He was put in a bad position. He knew that coming in. He's going to have to hit the portal hard. We'll know more about our team leading up to and after spring practice.
100%. Unfortunately, a lot of the portal guys have already committed too, but I'm sure there are still a ton of helpful guys out there. Like you said, it's not like we're starting from scratch. We have some talented guys on the roster still, so just supplement in the spots that need it the most and we should be fine.

I'm confused. That's not really unusual. But, I thought that Arroyo was let go because he didn't win six games and go to a bowl game. Winning now was the important thing. In my opinion, Arroyo used the portal effectively and got some good results going 5 - 7. Now there are posts are blaming Arroyo for using the portal instead of building from high school athletes. Arroyo is gone, now Odom is "building" the program again. Wait until a couple of years and we'll be in good shape. Like I said in a previous post, one step forward and two steps back.

Reactions: RunninReb1989
I'm confused. That's not really unusual. But, I thought that Arroyo was let go because he didn't win six games and go to a bowl game. Winning now was the important thing. In my opinion, Arroyo used the portal effectively and got some good results going 5 - 7. Now there are posts are blaming Arroyo for using the portal instead of building from high school athletes. Arroyo is gone, now Odom is "building" the program again. Wait until a couple of years and we'll be in good shape. Like I said in a previous post, one step forward and two steps back.
Terms like "rebuild" and "Odom is building the program AGAIN" implies that we have things built. We are a graded piece of dirt at this point. There's no "re" anything.

Arroyo was fired for not winning. He also happened to leave the 2023 barren.

I don't care how Odom builds the roster, be it by portal or HS. Just get players that can help us win. When I say recruiting will be back to "normal" I mean recruiting will be based on Odom and his staff having more than 2 weeks to throw a class together. Not making excuses for year one. Odom and staff should show an improvement in their year one. We have a lot of capable players to help us win and be competitive. Anything short of that will be a disappointing season.

Lastly, Arroyo didn't take us 1 step forward. From the time he took the job until the end of year 3 he was a lateral step at best. He showed some progression but he also won 2 combined games in his first 2 seasons.

It’s early. Arroyo didn’t even bring in any recruits for the early signing period for his first year.

The early signing is super tough to judge after a coach leaves--especially when you haven't got your entire staff settled. There's still a lot of moving parts.

I think this staff is going to have to hit the transfer portal HARD--but good news is that there's still a TON of MWC+ talent still in the portal.

I like that we're signing OL/DL/TE/LB, thought some of these kids are probably not going to be big contributors until later in their careers.

This signing day in winter needs to get moved. Doesn't work at all with any schools with coaching changes (have time for maybe 2 official visit weekends from end of season to signing day). It also doesn't line up with the 1000+ transfers in the portal the week after the season is over.

They need to move early signing day back up to before the season begins (July), and then keep the official signing day in February.

Terms like "rebuild" and "Odom is building the program AGAIN" implies that we have things built. We are a graded piece of dirt at this point. There's no "re" anything.

Arroyo was fired for not winning. He also happened to leave the 2023 barren.

I don't care how Odom builds the roster, be it by portal or HS. Just get players that can help us win. When I say recruiting will be back to "normal" I mean recruiting will be based on Odom and his staff having more than 2 weeks to throw a class together. Not making excuses for year one. Odom and staff should show an improvement in their year one. We have a lot of capable players to help us win and be competitive. Anything short of that will be a disappointing season.

Lastly, Arroyo didn't take us 1 step forward. From the time he took the job until the end of year 3 he was a lateral step at best. He showed some progression but he also won 2 combined games in his first 2 seasons.
Arroyo's record is a bit deceiving.

Whether it was a smart by move by him or not, in retrospect it was NOT. Arroyo wasn't really trying to win that first year. He treated it like a free pass, and maybe that was stated to him by DRF.

He tried to build culture by playing the best guys in practice instead of building for the future. Playing Max at QB was an example of that.

He was fired becuase he didn't win enough games in year 3 against a weak schedule .

He also underperformed with enough talent to get the job done.

He still brought in some really good recruiting classes, some of the best ever at UNLV. were the over rated? Maybe, but I doubt they were worthy of bottom of the league.

I don't think this is a rebuild because I do feel Arroyo built a pretty good foundation, and the program is in a better position now than what he inherited. He deserves credit for that.

Don't get it twisted, I'm happy after the coaching change was made. This is the best I have felt about the program since J Rob when I went to school there.

Odom still needs to fill some holes. That is for sure. But transfers often trickle in well after signing day. Some players decide to leave if they feel they have been over recruited. It may be be summer before we really know next year's roster.

I feel good about next year because both Odom and Petrino build their gameplans based off personel, and are successful doing so. Especially Petrino who has created really good offense nearly everywhere he has been including Western Kentucky and Missouri State with talent likely much worse than we have now.

Last edited:

If Arroyo's coaching limitations are the reason that you (in general not you specifically) feel the Rebels failed to reach bowl eligibility then there should be enough left on roster to reach that goal.

According to Joe Arrigo, this is a flip from U. of Arizona to UNLV
I know nothing about his reason but I wonder if his offer was pulled? UofA got an OL that decomitted from Alabama (Alabama got a 5 star OL that decomitted Fri Iowa)a couple of days ago. So maybe became the odd OL out?

With the portal go play a year or two at a lower level school vs sitting on the bench then parlay it into a bigger school. About an hour ago a OL who played 2 years at URI just chose Oregon over 25 other offers including his finalist Ohio St, Nebraska and Tennessee. CFB now has a minor league system.

Last edited:
Arroyo's record is a bit deceiving.

Whether it was a smart by move by him or not, in retrospect it was NOT. Arroyo wasn't really trying to win that first year. He treated it like a free pass, and maybe that was stated to him by DRF.

He tried to build culture by playing the best guys in practice instead of building for the future. Playing Max at QB was an example of that.

He was fired becuase he didn't win enough games in year 3 against a weak schedule .

He also underperformed with enough talent to get the job done.

He still brought in some really good recruiting classes, some of the best ever at UNLV. were the over rated? Maybe, but I doubt they were worthy of bottom of the league.

I don't think this is a rebuild because I do feel Arroyo built a pretty good foundation, and the program is in a better position now than what he inherited. He deserves credit for that.

Don't get it twisted, I'm happy after the coaching change was made. This is the best I have felt about the program since J Rob when I went to school there.

Odom still needs to fill some holes. That is for sure. But transfers often trickle in well after signing day. Some players decide to leave if they feel they have been over recruited. It may be be summer before we really know next year's roster.

I feel good about next year because both Odom and Petrino build their gameplans based off personel, and are successful doing so. Especially Petrino who has created really good offense nearly everywhere he has been including Western Kentucky and Missouri State with talent likely much worse than we have now.
Agree with most of what you said except that he left it in better shape than he left it. Almost all of the difference makers for Arroyo were left by Sanchez and almost all of the decent players he recruited have already jumped ship. He left it in exactly the same shape as he inherited it even down to the record last season. I don’t think it’s a bad thing because we need some new players to hopefully change the losing culture. Also glad he got let go because he seemed like Sanchez in that every time a game was very important for the season the team would completely shit the bed and get destroyed or lose to a terrible team (see SJSU and Hawaii). Not too concerned about the recruiting because just like in basketball the last ten years, we seemed to get highly rated guys who would just melt under pressure and lose to lower rated classes in conference consistently.

Agree with most of what you said except that he left it in better shape than he left it. Almost all of the difference makers for Arroyo were left by Sanchez and almost all of the decent players he recruited have already jumped ship. He left it in exactly the same shape as he inherited it even down to the record last season. I don’t think it’s a bad thing because we need some new players to hopefully change the losing culture. Also glad he got let go because he seemed like Sanchez in that every time a game was very important for the season the team would completely shit the bed and get destroyed or lose to a terrible team (see SJSU and Hawaii). Not too concerned about the recruiting because just like in basketball the last ten years, we seemed to get highly rated guys who would just melt under pressure and lose to lower rated classes in conference consistently.
Arroyo inherited a terrible defense with no depth that lost the majority of its starters. True many of his best offensive guys were Sanchez recruits. But there were still many starters were Arroyo's guys

Last year we had more depth than ever before as well more size speed and athleticism overall.
The fact that he did sh!t the bed is why he is gone. No excuse for losing to Hawaii and nearly losing to Reno. The other losses are understandable, but being smoked by AFA and SJSU when you should at least compete or even win is not good. Even if not unexpected loss.

The basketball connection really has no bearing here. Sure guys will disappoint, but football players typically need maturity to truly develop. Arroyo has really 2 true classes. And most if his transfers were impact guys. It can take some time to truly know what you have.

Our new coaching staff has done more with less in the past. I think we have a shot at taking that next step next season simply because of that. Schedule with be very comparable to this season.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT