ADVERTISEMENT

AAC - ACC

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Many on the board see the AAC as a way to keep ourselves relevant. I agree it could work - but it's nowhere near automatic.

IMO, the ACC and their ongoing Lawsuit(s) / discussions with Florida State and Clemson are a player in the calculations that need to be considered.
See article below dated yesterday.

If the FSU/Clemson lawsuit continues there is a strong possibility Memphis and/or Tulane will not jump to the PAC any time soon. They would be foolish to pay exit fees when FSU/Clemson could bolt from the ACC and open space for them in that conference. The ACC currently receives a payout of over $ 40 million. It would degrade significantly without FSU/Clemson but not so much Memphis and Tulane wouldn't love to be a part of the conference. I see it in their best interest to wait and see.

If they don't jump, then the AAC will be at 14 schools. Their near term options would be stay at 14 or expand. If they choose to expand (and that isn't a given) AF would likely be their first choice for expansion. But all the discussions about AF is conjecture and there's been no statements from the AAC. It could just as easily be the AAC stays at 14 and decides not to take on the additional travel for AF and UNLV. Or it could be they take AF and decide on an additional Texas school or Eastern school instead of us.

This entire fiasco is conjecture, but I don't think an AAC birth is as obvious as many of us hope.

Many on the board see the AAC as a way to keep ourselves relevant. I agree it could work - but it's nowhere near automatic.

IMO, the ACC and their ongoing Lawsuit(s) / discussions with Florida State and Clemson are a player in the calculations that need to be considered.
See article below dated yesterday.

If the FSU/Clemson lawsuit continues there is a strong possibility Memphis and/or Tulane will not jump to the PAC any time soon. They would be foolish to pay exit fees when FSU/Clemson could bolt from the ACC and open space for them in that conference. The ACC currently receives a payout of over $ 40 million. It would degrade significantly without FSU/Clemson but not so much Memphis and Tulane wouldn't love to be a part of the conference. I see it in their best interest to wait and see.

If they don't jump, then the AAC will be at 14 schools. Their near term options would be stay at 14 or expand. If they choose to expand (and that isn't a given) AF would likely be their first choice for expansion. But all the discussions about AF is conjecture and there's been no statements from the AAC. It could just as easily be the AAC stays at 14 and decides not to take on the additional travel for AF and UNLV. Or it could be they take AF and decide on an additional Texas school or Eastern school instead of us.

This entire fiasco is conjecture, but I don't think an AAC birth is as obvious as many of us hope.
Good thing is we may know soon. PAC seems anxious to get to eight sooner rather than later.

This is what I have been told. Tulane and Memphis are holding out for ACC defectors, and that Pac2 wanted to them to apply with the MWC4. Didn't happen, but still could.

The AAC is being used as leverage, IMO.

Maybe if the MWC wants to keep us, they give us a higher payout (The Boise special). Maybe the PAC gets worried the AAC starts making moves to counter their poaching plans. It’s obvious the AAC has an extremely competent commish that is very proactive and doesn’t need a “threat caster” (what the hell was that?) .

Regardless, there’s options and you have to use them to get what you want. It’s like buying a car, you have one you really like but you can’t let them know that. You pit different sellers against each other to get the best deal.

It’s leverage. I like where we’re at.

As they should be. The longer it goes, the less leverage the PAC has in getting new schools to join.
Starting to think they screwed up or the rumored 15 million per school media payout was bullshit. If Memphis and Tulane hold out, that really puts the screws to the PAC because they’ll have zero leverage and momentum. Tv deal isn’t going to be 10-15 million.

The AAC isnt an option. Its a conversation piece to make us feel better that we arent being left out, but really none of these conferences are better than each other. I said it on another thread...
The AAC wont be getting 7 million dollar payouts. If Memphis and Tulane leave for the Pac 2, the AAC's contract is likely to become null and need to be renegotiated, ESPN included a conference composition clause which I can see them activating if those 2 programs leave(meaning the 6 big name programs in conference during those negotiations would be gone). There just isnt the name brand recognition that was there when it was originally created.
So maybe the Pac isnt getting the 10-15 million people assume, theyre offering a smaller more competitive conference to split payouts with along with a refined media package that is higher than what they are likely going to get in the near future when ESPN decides to terminate the agreement and offer significantly less. Reality- the Pac 2 did this because they didnt want to lose their power by joining the MWC and wanted a few less teams in the MWC, they dont have a media deal in place that we know of but we all assume its higher than the MWC/AAC, but that's also irrelevant in the AAC gets forced back into negotiations which I now see as coming.

Starting to think they screwed up or the rumored 15 million per school media payout was bullshit. If Memphis and Tulane hold out, that really puts the screws to the PAC because they’ll have zero leverage and momentum. Tv deal isn’t going to be 10-15 million.
Honestly, I could see it being in that range. Especially the lower end of it, 10-12. But, it really depends on how it's filled out for the remaining spots. If the PAC doesn't get the spots filled in the next couple weeks/month though, I could see the whole group of 6 starting to sweat a little bit .

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I don't believe ACC would take either, if I am ACC take UCON, or stand pat.
Big 12 is my choice for UNLV, just win in football and maybe KK and get hoops in NCAA or move on from him.

• Love
Reactions: RebelScrub
I've gone back and forth on this multiple times.

Sure UNLV was Pac bound, not sure, sure again, not sure etc.

Right now..

I think there is a realistic possibility UNLV is not in the plans and is a back up option for the new PAC.

I know we should take 'sources' with a grain of salt but.

There are more and more beat writers saying once Memphis and Tulane join PAC2 that PAC will then focus on the Texas market.

PAC only needs 8 by next year. They'll have that with Memphis and Tulane.

Texas Schools being linked to PAC2 now are UTSA, RICE, TEXAS STATE and North Texas.

Now the question is, do they want all of them if possible? Or just a footprint in the state.

If its all of them, that leaves no room for UNLV.

I hate to say it but UNLVs only options may come down to CUSA or AAC.

Another option would be if MWC tries to stay alive and do their own poaching.

Which is fine but considering what we lost you'd be hard put to replace it.

Either way if a PAC invite doesn't come UNLV may end up in a worse conference than they are now.

Which....

Sucks.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I don't believe ACC would take either, if I am ACC take UCON, or stand pat.
Big 12 is my choice for UNLV, just win in football and maybe KK and get hoops in NCAA or move on from him.

Goes back to does BIG12 want UNLV though.

I would love it if that is where UNLV ended up.

But it feels pretty unlikely.

And yes I will gladly eat crow if it happens.

Honestly, if the Pac 2 take the AAC 2, plus the 4 mentioned Texas schools, the only move currently open to Big 12 would be to add a UNLV, they arent stealing ACC schools with the buyout costs and we might be real cheap... offer 2/3 payout for 5 years or something and then they don't need to worry about if they make a splash with a Boise or a SDSU, get Vegas road trips and add a program with NFL level facilities...

Honestly, if the Pac 2 take the AAC 2, plus the 4 mentioned Texas schools, the only move currently open to Big 12 would be to add a UNLV, they arent stealing ACC schools with the buyout costs and we might be real cheap... offer 2/3 payout for 5 years or something and then they don't need to worry about if they make a splash with a Boise or a SDSU, get Vegas road trips and add a program with NFL level facilities...

Look I don't disagree.

I just wonder how hard they are looking at further expansion.

Like if it was FSU/CLEMSON or a couple other ACC schools they might have figured no brainer.

But they could just stand pat as well.

I think we are more attractive than any of the remaining schools in the AAC (I guess maybe South Florida?)

But do they feel they 'need' us.

I think in order the biggest dominoes are Memphis, Tulane, followed by AFA..

If it gets quiet for a while after Memphis and Tulane that might be a good sign for UNLV and eventual PAC invite.

If suddenly UTSA/RICE ETC start getting rumored and no smoke about UNLV maybe not so good.

I don't know. This stuff sucks.

HC of UTSA asked about PAC and possible invite.

I'm being serious when I say this, I think this stuff is much further along than we think, and there is a very distinct chance UNLV may not be in the mix.

Fair point. But that interview is more than we are hearing about or from anyone at UNLV...
Not conplaining, UNLVs relative silence could be by design. I don't know.
I'm sharing a shortened version of a similar post I put on my home site. You guys can find it you know, just click on colleges. IMHO, this could be pretty big......

Friend to UNLV, the Loyal One said:
And edit - so to leave the AAC, it is a 27-month requirement and a $10M fee. If a school wants out earlier, the fee is "negotiated". Ended up being $18M for Cincinnati, Houston and UCF. AAC originally wanted $45M per the linked article.

Ok so - the Pac offers two of these schools. They need to be here by 7/1/26, well before the 27-month limit. The AAC sez hmmm, we can really hardball these traitors, and the Pac will have to come to their rescue. Think of that. It will be at least $18M based on last time. And they ain't that great. The Big-12 snagged 3 AAC teams a year ago, and it wasn't the teams we are now supposedly "looking at".

I've cooled on Air Force. UNLV and either Wyoming or SJSU. Done.
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/41...h-settlement-with-aac-to-join-big-12-in-2023/

I'm sharing a shortened version of a similar post I put on my home site. You guys can find it you know, just click on colleges. IMHO, this could be pretty big......

Friend to UNLV, the Loyal One said:
And edit - so to leave the AAC, it is a 27-month requirement and a $10M fee. If a school wants out earlier, the fee is "negotiated". Ended up being $18M for Cincinnati, Houston and UCF. AAC originally wanted $45M per the linked article.

Ok so - the Pac offers two of these schools. They need to be here by 7/1/26, well before the 27-month limit. The AAC sez hmmm, we can really hardball these traitors, and the Pac will have to come to their rescue. Think of that. It will be at least $18M based on last time. And they ain't that great. The Big-12 snagged 3 AAC teams a year ago, and it wasn't the teams we are now supposedly "looking at".

I've cooled on Air Force. UNLV and either Wyoming or SJSU. Done.
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/41...h-settlement-with-aac-to-join-big-12-in-2023/

Wyoming I don't get.

This is absolutely no knock on Wyoming. Down this year but they are typically middle of the pack and really tough at home in football.

Basketball...Not so much...

They draw pretty well for football. Have a pretty dedicated fan base. Considering the small population size, they have solid booster support. They also have pretty damn good football facilities.

But in terms of being a prized media market..Not so much.

It's a really tough job there. Low population, meaning in state recruiting is tough (less overall talent) coupled with bigger schools probably swooping in on top end talent that does exist. Even in this world of the portal and NIL I think they have a ceiling.

SJSU is interesting. Really hard to pass up on a massive market like that. And I know media execs look at market potential as much as market penetration, but SJSU really doesn't draw well attendance wise or on TV.

I could see them as a final add type if PAC looks to get to 12 maybe but initial 8 or 10? Not so much.

Let me ask this, what's the consensus on your boards as to who is going to be added next?

Wyoming I don't get.

This is absolutely no knock on Wyoming. Down this year but they are typically middle of the pack and really tough at home in football.

Basketball...Not so much...

They draw pretty well for football. Have a pretty dedicated fan base. Considering the small population size, they have solid booster support. They also have pretty damn good football facilities.

But in terms of being a prized media market..Not so much.

It's a really tough job there. Low population, meaning in state recruiting is tough (less overall talent) coupled with bigger schools probably swooping in on top end talent that does exist. Even in this world of the portal and NIL I think they have a ceiling.

SJSU is interesting. Really hard to pass up on a massive market like that. And I know media execs look at market potential as much as market penetration, but SJSU really doesn't draw well attendance wise or on TV.

I could see them as a final add type if PAC looks to get to 12 maybe but initial 8 or 10? Not so much.

Let me ask this, what's the consensus on your boards as to who is going to be added next?
My board has no consensus. Some think we should try to get the AAC schools. Some think UNLV will be invited soon (if it hasn't already). Most are just stupid and have no informed opinions. Drunken Cougs. Oh wait, I am sort of getting tipsy at 11PM my time. No worries, I retired early! And I'm a Coug so it is to be expected. :)

It's a free board......

• Haha
My board has no consensus. Some think we should try to get the AAC schools. Some think UNLV will be invited soon (if it hasn't already). Most are just stupid and have no informed opinions. Drunken Cougs. Oh wait, I am sort of getting tipsy at 11PM my time. No worries, I retired early! And I'm a Coug so it is to be expected. :)

It's a free board......

A quote from one regent was that UNLV AD and President have been in contact with PAC. Outside of that crickets.

To be fair AD Harper runs an extremely tight ship. The hiring of Odom was a complete surprise. There wasn't so much as a peep or mentiin of Odom as a candidate until the day he was announced.

I'm really starting to despise this PAC resurrection.

We really need to get that 1st G5 playoff spot and a BIG12 invite.

I'm done with the BSU's and SDSU's fans. BYU fans seem more bearable at this point. The regular season Arizona and ASU games would have more ticket sales than what we saw against BSU in the MW championship. BYU would probably put more asses in Allegiant than half the games in the big12. The Utes love Vegas! Cincinnati basketball games would feel nostalgic.

This needs to happen. Geographically, it makes too much sense. UNLV FB isn't some fluke success story. UNLV, as a whole, is FINALLY being ran properly.

I'm done with the BSU's and SDSU's fans. BYU fans seem more bearable at this point. The regular season Arizona and ASU games would have more ticket sales than what we saw against BSU in the MW championship. BYU would probably put more asses in Allegiant than half the games in the big12. The Utes love Vegas! Cincinnati basketball games would feel nostalgic.

This needs to happen. Geographically, it makes too much sense. UNLV FB isn't some fluke success story. UNLV, as a whole, is FINALLY being ran properly.
Idk about that last sentence lol

Look at how well the Iowa St game was attended by ISU fans... that's an opportunity that's likely every home conference game. Big 12 fans travel and Vegas is a destination

Texas school do nothing, you talking small input, granted Pac is glorified MWC. How happy is ACC with SMU, PAC should look at them.
If UNLV gets left out, drop football, go all in hoops and baseball and join WCC with gonzaga. F RENO

• Haha
Texas school do nothing, you talking small input, granted Pac is glorified MWC. How happy is ACC with SMU, PAC should look at them.
If UNLV gets left out, drop football, go all in hoops and baseball and join WCC with gonzaga. F RENO

You must be out of your Vulcan mind. Drop football when we just got things going.

Vulcans-vulcans-17868164-1440-1080.jpg

Last edited:

It was the 'drop football' 'who cares about football' 'we're a basketball school' mind set for years that contributed to the mess we are in now.

Football was always the path to relevance and UNLV never cared enough and to some degree didn't have the resources to address it properly.

There are blueprints all over the country of schools committing to football and changing their fortunes.

It was the 'drop football' 'who cares about football' 'we're a basketball school' mind set for years that contributed to the mess we are in now.

Football was always the path to relevance and UNLV never cared enough and to some degree didn't have the resources to address it properly.

There are blueprints all over the country of schools committing to football and changing their fortunes.
The more I think about it we need to support football a lot more. We need to make a push with donations. Because **** those other guys. I sure as hell don't want to let go of what we just got.

I think they bridge the geographic gap somewhat effectively, making it more palatable for non FB/MBB sports of Memphis and Tulane, if that's who they are going after. SMU would be fine in the ACC, it's stupid, but they'd be fine. Cal/Stanford is ridiculous and they probably won't last.

Prospective TV partners will, I'm assuming, inform whether they go after any Texas schools

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT