ADVERTISEMENT

Signing Day

1. Odom has zero blame for a H.S. signing class. He's only been here for two weeks.

2. He and Petrino should do well with transfers.

When it's all done, I would love to see a solid two deep ( at least) line on both sides of the ball, decent skill players on offense including a Very Good Q.B., ( by that I mean one of the top three Q.B.'s in the MWC - a nice Q.B. will get you a long way in this league), a serviceable defensive backfield and we need a kicker.

I expect his first year to be @ 4 wins. This is just based on a Rebel football fan's historical perspective.

Reactions: jmcnamaraiii
Arroyo inherited a terrible defense with no depth that lost the majority of its starters. True many of his best offensive guys were Sanchez recruits. But there were still many starters were Arroyo's guys

Last year we had more depth than ever before as well more size speed and athleticism overall.
The fact that he did sh!t the bed is why he is gone. No excuse for losing to Hawaii and nearly losing to Reno. The other losses are understandable, but being smoked by AFA and SJSU when you should at least compete or even win is not good. Even if not unexpected loss.

The basketball connection really has no bearing here. Sure guys will disappoint, but football players typically need maturity to truly develop. Arroyo has really 2 true classes. And most if his transfers were impact guys. It can take some time to truly know what you have.

Our new coaching staff has done more with leas in the past. I think we have a shot at taking that next step next season simply because of that. Schedule with be very comparable to this season.
Agree to disagree on the empty cupboard. Name the difference makers that are Arroyo recruits who aren’t transferring (Brennan Scott) maybe. The top players on both sides of the ball next year are gonna be Odom recruits or leftover Sanchez guys.

The few productive guys that Arroyo recruiting are almost all leaving. Our best defensive and offensive players in year 3 of Arroyo were Sanchez guys. Brumfield and ajiike. Seriously Sanchez left more talent than Arroyo

Agree to disagree on the empty cupboard. Name the difference makers that are Arroyo recruits who aren’t transferring (Brennan Scott) maybe. The top players on both sides of the ball next year are gonna be Odom recruits or leftover Sanchez guys.

The few productive guys that Arroyo recruiting are almost all leaving. Our best defensive and offensive players in year 3 of Arroyo were Sanchez guys. Brumfield and ajiike. Seriously Sanchez left more talent than Arroyo
Besides Ajiike which Sanchez recruit was good on defense?

Pretty much every other impact defensive player, besides Beaudry who was solid, but not exactly a game changer was an Arroyo recruit. And how can you blame the Arroyo for his recruits that transfer when he is fired. That doesn't make sense.

As for Sanchez recruits on defense next year? Name one? I don't think there is any left.

And you have to admit the defense the last two years were miles better than anything Sanchez had.

Not that many people are leaving. I think only 3 that I can count has actually committed to new teams. We will see what happens with portal guys and the draft guys. Some of these guys are arleady 5 year college players so trying to move on from college football is an understandable move. Last years team, especially starters were probably 80% Arroyo. Also 2 of the 7 early signees were Arroyo's commits.

Also worth noting that the reason why there were still Sanchez starters on this team was because they have stayed the course and were upperclassmen. Typically your Seniors are your best players because maturity matters in college football.

Last edited:
If Arroyo's coaching limitations are the reason that you (in general not you specifically) feel the Rebels failed to reach bowl eligibility then there should be enough left on roster to reach that goal.
^^^ This ^^^
Arroyo, for a variety of reasons stated multiple times on this board, did not maximize the potential of the talent on this roster, sometimes referred to as "putting them in a position to be successful." I have much, much greater faith in the current staff, even though it's not complete yet, to do that. Along those lines, any whispers on who the new S & C coach may be?

^^^ This ^^^
Arroyo, for a variety of reasons stated multiple times on this board, did not maximize the potential of the talent on this roster, sometimes referred to as "putting them in a position to be successful." I have much, much greater faith in the current staff, even though it's not complete yet, to do that. Along those lines, any whispers on who the new S & C coach may be?
Do we have a DC announced? Can't remember seeing it yet.

It's this guy.

Is it official now? I know it's been mentioned as likely, but I hadn't seen an official announcement of it yet.

Edit to add that they have a bowl game on Wednesday next week, so I'd guess he will still be coaching that game (as AA Insider mentioned) and then announce after that.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Is it official now? I know it's been mentioned as likely, but I hadn't seen an official announcement of it yet.

Edit to add that they have a bowl game on Wednesday next week, so I'd guess he will still be coaching that game (as AA Insider mentioned) and then announce after that.
I have no inside knowledge. However, given that they filled the coaching positions other than linebacker and DC, I believe Scherer is highly likely for that last spot. Don't know about S and C.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Besides Ajiike which Sanchez recruit was good on defense?

Pretty much every other impact defensive player, besides Beaudry who was solid, but not exactly a game changer was an Arroyo recruit. And how can you blame the Arroyo for his recruits that transfer when he is fired. That doesn't make sense.

As for Sanchez recruits on defense next year? Name one? I don't think there is any left.

And you have to admit the defense the last two years were miles better than anything Sanchez had.

Not that many people are leaving. I think only 3 that I can count has actually committed to new teams. We will see what happens with portal guys and the draft guys. Some of these guys are arleady 5 year college players so trying to move on from college football is an understandable move. Last years team, especially starters were probably 80% Arroyo. Also 2 of the 7 early signees were Arroyo's commits.

Also worth noting that the reason why there were still Sanchez starters on this team was because they have stayed the course and were upperclassmen. Typically your Seniors are your best players because maturity matters in college football.
Jacoby Windmon lol probably the best defender for unlv in the last decade.

I agree with you defense overall did look better under Arroyo. Tony always did struggle on brining in defensive depth.

But also Tony didn’t have a NFL stadium and new practice facility, so who knows. It’s not apples to apples.

All I do know is Tony had averaged 4 wins a year and could consistently run the ball and built depth on the offensive line. Arroyo decided to blow up the roster and he had 2 wins in 2 years. Never liked this strategy, he had roster that all it needed was an upgrade, not a rebuild.

Like that Odom gets this and is humble. Doesn’t care who you were recruited by. He has made his best effort to re-recruit the roster and local high schools. NV had 5 kids go to MW rivals in 2023 smh.

I agree with you defense overall did look better under Arroyo. Tony always did struggle on brining in defensive depth.

But also Tony didn’t have a NFL stadium and new practice facility, so who knows. It’s not apples to apples.

All I do know is Tony had averaged 4 wins a year and could consistently run the ball and built depth on the offensive line. Arroyo decided to blow up the roster and he had 2 wins in 2 years. Never liked this strategy, he had roster that all it needed was an upgrade, not a rebuild.

Like that Odom gets this and is humble. Doesn’t care who you were recruited by. He has made his best effort to re-recruit the roster and local high schools. NV had 5 kids go to MW rivals in 2023 smh.

Shows where we are that we are debating who was the better of two coaches who were sub .500.

Then again a strong argument could be made Sanford's year four 5-7 team was the best Rebel squad in almost 20 years. So I guess its fitting.

Shows where we are that we are debating who was the better of two coaches who were sub .500.

Then again a strong argument could be made Sanford's year four 5-7 team was the best Rebel squad in almost 20 years. So I guess its fitting.
I mean if you're debating any UNLV football coaches, only Tony Knapp finished above .500 so you'd always have to be debating between two sub .500 coaches. I guess Harvey Hyde pre-infraction adjustment, but you you get stripped for 18 wins you're not going to stay above .500.

Sanford's teams were generally okay, his problem is he started to whine about things that were true only after he was starting to look bad so it seemed like excuse-making. Our facilities during the Sanford years were hot, stinky garbage. FCS teams would come into Sam Boyd and make fun of our stadium and locker rooms.

But as the head coach you have to do the things you need to change that when you're winning if you wait until you're having a bad run it's terrible optics. Nobody likes a whiner, even if they're whining the truth.

I mean if you're debating any UNLV football coaches, only Tony Knapp finished above .500 so you'd always have to be debating between two sub .500 coaches. I guess Harvey Hyde pre-infraction adjustment, but you you get stripped for 18 wins you're not going to stay above .500.

Sanford's teams were generally okay, his problem is he started to whine about things that were true only after he was starting to look bad so it seemed like excuse-making. Our facilities during the Sanford years were hot, stinky garbage. FCS teams would come into Sam Boyd and make fun of our stadium and locker rooms.

But as the head coach you have to do the things you need to change that when you're winning if you wait until you're having a bad run it's terrible optics. Nobody likes a whiner, even if they're whining the truth.

This is true.

Sanford wasn't exactly Mr personality or charismatic. He wasn't a guy that was going to get boosters excited and lining up to donate.

His gripes were 100% correct. His mode of communicating that was poor.

I was referring mostly to last year, but yes Windmon was a stud for us. Unfortunately 1 player does not make a defense make.

As for offense, Arroyo did want to do something that was quite a bit different than Sanchez/Cotton, who wanted us to be Nebraska 2.0. For some reason the Sanchesz leftover linemen kind underperformed or just transferred out. We had good size and athelticism on the line, just never jelled and had mistakes. But you could say that with nearly every offensive position.

Sanchez was woeful at recruiting on defense and left it in terrible shape, even for UNLV. Sanchez's own recruiting blew up with defense, not Arroyo. And I don't think Arroyo really blew up the roster, did change scehme to make it kind of useless. Which sometimes is necessary, tbh.

But I agree with everything about Odom. I am happy for the change and the direction this team is going.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT