ADVERTISEMENT

SDSU got its coach

Why. Again, the Pac12 or Pac2 or whatever we want to call it was killed by everyone else leaving. Adding a bunch of terrible teams from other smaller conferences and mudding up the $$ that will be negotiated in a few years doesn't seem like a benefit to any of the remaining MWC teams. I honestly think that were 2 years away from the Big 12 inviting us to join if we can have another year like this one. Its a good market for them, it makes a slam dunk location for Championship game rotations between Dallas and West Coast... When the buyout for teams to leave gets dissolved or becomes negligible thats when the moves will be made. So we play along with the Pac2 and then say see you later in a few seasons.
Very possible!

Why. Again, the Pac12 or Pac2 or whatever we want to call it was killed by everyone else leaving. Adding a bunch of terrible teams from other smaller conferences and mudding up the $$ that will be negotiated in a few years doesn't seem like a benefit to any of the remaining MWC teams. I honestly think that were 2 years away from the Big 12 inviting us to join if we can have another year like this one. Its a good market for them, it makes a slam dunk location for Championship game rotations between Dallas and West Coast... When the buyout for teams to leave gets dissolved or becomes negligible thats when the moves will be made. So we play along with the Pac2 and then say see you later in a few seasons.
Super conferences are only worth it if the extra teams add to the bottom line.

PAC would maximize payouts by trying to trim fat from the MW and adding teams like UTSA and Tulane vs having 16-18 mouths to feed.

But my argument is do UTSA and Tulane really add any more value to either conference- MWC or Pacwhatever in the end or do they simply become another mouth to feed. I think thats the issue with why you dont see 2 of these mid-major or G5 conferences combine into a super conference.. there just isnt enough there either in media markets or alumni bases to financially draw the media rights necessary to make it any more competitive than it already is without the added baggage. Its unfortunate for OSU and WSU, but unless their situations change, they will quickly slip into the same G5 boat as everyone else with slightly better facilities due to past $$ investments, but unable to compete with P5 $$ for players, coaches, etc...

Reactions: LVRebel2000
But my argument is do UTSA and Tulane really add any more value to either conference- MWC or Pacwhatever in the end or do they simply become another mouth to feed. I think thats the issue with why you dont see 2 of these mid-major or G5 conferences combine into a super conference.. there just isnt enough there either in media markets or alumni bases to financially draw the media rights necessary to make it any more competitive than it already is without the added baggage. Its unfortunate for OSU and WSU, but unless their situations change, they will quickly slip into the same G5 boat as everyone else with slightly better facilities due to past $$ investments, but unable to compete with P5 $$ for players, coaches, etc...
I just don't see the Big 12 for UNLV happening.
They have passed on us many times, and we were pushed low on their list as a possible addition. Once they added the PAC schools the need for our market went down and would not add to their bottom line.

Our season is also both hurting and helping our case. Helping by showing we can at least field a competitive football team, hurting by showing that we still won't show up for a winning football team. 25k is not bad by G5 standards, but it isn't great. Obviously bball is not helping us either and the Big12 is the one conference that actually cares about basketball.

Also if the ACC starts getting poached. They will have much better options from that direction too.

The pac will never be what it was. But it can be a better version of the MW by taking the best teams/markets and adding the best available from others like UTSA and Tulane.

It would be a shell of what they were but at least more profitable than just straight up joinimg the MW.

My wife was in meetings this week in Chicago one of her colleagues is a CU alum, donor and huge Buff fan. She got home last night and told me this guy said SDSU made a great hire.

Then I wake up this morning to this article in the SDUT from a Denver writer. It sheds a little light on what happened mid season at CU and like my wife’s colleague thinks SDSU made a great hire.

I think people were/are speaking hypothetically if the new conference were looking to go to 14 or 16 teams. Not saying they would or should.

Honestly we have dead weight in our conference as well. What does Hawaii bring? They don't travel well other than to Vegas.

Travel costs to get there are high.

They are football only.

Personally I'd add UTSA dump Hawaii.

Or dump Hawaii add NMSU. Again not a great option but it opens an OOC game for both UNM and NMSU.

I think people were/are speaking hypothetically if the new conference were looking to go to 14 or 16 teams. Not saying they would or should.

Honestly we have dead weight in our conference as well. What does Hawaii bring? They don't travel well other than to Vegas.

Travel costs to get there are high.

They are football only.

Personally I'd add UTSA dump Hawaii.

Or dump Hawaii add NMSU. Again not a great option but it opens an OOC game for both UNM and NMSU.
with regards to Hawaii, do you think they travel well? Or do they just already have a ton of Hawaiian people living in LV that attend those games. I have no idea which it is.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
with regards to Hawaii, do you think they travel well? Or do they just already have a ton of Hawaiian people living in LV that attend those games. I have no idea which it is.

Good question.

No idea on how many actually travel vs already in Vegas.

But if there is a game they do travel for, it would be the UNLV game.

Isn't it a Nevada law now that UNR-UNLV play each other every year?

Not sure how much weight it carries.

I think as much as I hate Reno, they are our Rival I want to keep the game. I'd prefer they be in conference vs wasting an OOC game every year on them.

Isn't it a Nevada law now that UNR-UNLV play each other every year?
The two teams have met 44 times since 1969 and every year since 1989 when the Nevada Legislature passed a law requiring the two teams to play every season, so the rivalry will continue far into the future.

The two teams have met 44 times since 1969 and every year since 1989 when the Nevada Legislature passed a law requiring the two teams to play every season, so the rivalry will continue far into the future.
They made that a law?!? THAT'S what's important? Wonder what the penalty is if the schools don't play each other? Is it a felony? Is jail time involved? Idiots.

If I’m not mistaken there is a law in Oregon and Washington that UO/OSU and UW/WSU have to play in the same conference. Which starting next year they won’t.

They made that a law?!? THAT'S what's important? Wonder what the penalty is if the schools don't play each other? Is it a felony? Is jail time involved? Idiots.
Especially since politicians have a long history of working only on items of actual importance :)

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT