ADVERTISEMENT

SDSU got its coach

That job really didn't attract the tier of HC candidates their fans thought it would did it...
No clue who their fanbase is that you talk to, but anyone in the SD media that knows anything would only bring up coordinators as legit candidates and probably because thats who they were actually talking with. Lewis, White, Marion. More inportantly they thought an offensive minded coordinator was the most important piece and in this case a OC who was a HC previously.

No clue who their fanbase is that you talk to, but anyone in the SD media that knows anything would only bring up coordinators as legit candidates and probably because thats who they were actually talking with. Lewis, White, Marion. More inportantly they thought an offensive minded coordinator was the most important piece.
Their board was full of big names same as ours has been in past... I don't talk to SDSU media nor care to, and I'm glad the hire wasn't what I'd call Impactful because well, I hope the suck forever...

Might be a tough sell to the fanbase. Had some momentum going into the season, but was stripped of play calling duties for the last 3 or 4 games. Probably wasn’t going to return there regardless. Will be interesting to see how he works out.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Might be a tough sell to the fanbase. Had some momentum going into the season, but was stripped of play calling duties for the last 3 or 4 games. Probably wasn’t going to return there regardless. Will be interesting to see how he works out.
It will be interesting. I have no clue what happend at CU, guessing Sanders son might have had something to do with it, but that only a guess on my part not anything Ive heard. Their offense at CU while he was calling plays wasnt the issue unless the horrible OL was all his doing?

He got a losing record at Kent State, why Deion hired him at CU and SDSU hired him as their HC? Something made him stood out?

It will be interesting. I have no clue what happend at CU, guessing Sanders son might have had something to do with it, but that only a guess on my part not anything Ive heard. Their offense at CU while he was calling plays wasnt the issue unless the horrible OL was all his doing?
Play-calling, in my opinion, is rarely the issue. I am not discounting those who are good at it. It can certainly help (especially coaches that are able to counter what the defense is doing), but offensive production almost always boils down to execution.

Play-calling, in my opinion, is rarely the issue. I am not discounting those who are good at it. It can certainly help (especially coaches that are able to counter what the defense is doing), but offensive production almost always boils down to execution.
Us fans tend to blame the players for execution after the plays are drawn. If you dont motivated your players and educated them enough the intricacies, can the players be held responsible? Even if the coaches doesn't motivated them or the coaches have enough authorities....too much in play.
I want to ask again, why is Sean Lewis held at high regards after a losing record at Kent State and demoted half way through the CU year? SDSU have a lot success than UNLV and just about every G5 schools besides Boise State. What did they see?

Us fans tend to blame the players for execution after the plays are drawn. If you dont motivated your players and educated them enough the intricacies, can the players be held responsible? Even if the coaches doesn't motivated them or the coaches have enough authorities....too much in play.
I want to ask again, why is Sean Lewis held at high regards after a losing record at Kent State and demoted half way through the CU year? SDSU have a lot success than UNLV and just about every G5 schools besides Boise State. What did they see?
They did not see that in Marion.

He got a losing record at Kent State, why Deion hired him at CU and SDSU hired him as their HC? Something made him stood out?
Was hired to help CU's offense shine (Deion's son), probably a nice pay raise... Supposedly got the most out of the Kent St. program that was historically bad... IDK, hiring a guy demoted mid-year and with a losing record because he was able to create a good offense in a small league is a weird hire. Their best season he had only 2 wins vs teams with winning records... IDK, I cant give more than what I can read from Google...

Reactions: TimothyC3
If nothing else Lewis has some huge cojones, Last year at Kent he played Washington, Oklahoma and Georgia they went 5-7.
The year before he played Texas A$M, Iowa and Maryland (7-7 played in MAC Championship game, Bowl)
2020 Covid year (3-1)
2019 Played ASU, Auburn, Wisconsin (7-6, Bowl Game)
2018 Played Illinois, PSU, Ole Miss (2-10 First season)

In the five years prior to Lewis arrival Kent won a total of 14 games. So knowing nothing about Kent football until today they have been as bad as UNLV over the years and he did what noone has done at UNLV other than one year this year, go in and win more than they had been, despite playing 3 body bag games each season.

I think he is thought of as an offensive mind, hence the hire by Sanders at CU. Kent went 1-11 this season without him.

If nothing else Lewis has some huge cojones, Last year at Kent he played Washington, Oklahoma and Georgia they went 5-7.
The year before he played Texas A$M, Iowa and Maryland (7-7 played in MAC Championship game, Bowl)
2020 Covid year (3-1)
2019 Played ASU, Auburn, Wisconsin (7-6, Bowl Game)
2018 Played Illinois, PSU, Ole Miss (2-10 First season)

In the five years prior to Lewis arrival Kent won a total of 14 games. So knowing nothing about Kent football until today they have been as bad as UNLV over the years and he did what noone has done at UNLV other than one year this year, go in and win more than they had been, despite playing 3 body bag games each season.

I think he is thought of as an offensive mind, hence the hire by Sanders at CU. Kent went 1-11 this season without him.
That is it. Thank you Rebwins. That is what set him apart.

Was hired to help CU's offense shine (Deion's son), probably a nice pay raise... Supposedly got the most out of the Kent St. program that was historically bad... IDK, hiring a guy demoted mid-year and with a losing record because he was able to create a good offense in a small league is a weird hire. Their best season he had only 2 wins vs teams with winning records... IDK, I cant give more than what I can read from Google...

Was let go mid season. Only God and Prime know why, the offense was the only thing that didn't stink in Colorado.

His offenses at Kent State were really good. Kent State was every bit as bad as UNLV as a program and he went to two bowl games. If Arroyo had done that he'd still be here.

No the MAC isn't good. But he played a brutal OOC schedule. Three P5s one year. He replaces Maryland or Texas A&M or both with a Bryant or Vandy results probably look different.

Not saying a home run hire by any stretch but they had to do something there to fix the offense.

SDSU has been awful on offense. If he can retain or get some solid defensive guys around him this could be a good hire.

If I'm him, I'm looking at possibly Danny Gonzales to run the defense. Familiarity with conference and the school. Plus SDSU's defenses under Gonzales were really good. (A lot of that was also Rocky Long admittedly)

A fair question is, should he have been?

Don't know what was going on behind the scenes, but defense, poor Oline play were their biggest issues.

Is it understandable to be underwhelmed? Losing record as a head coach then demoted mid season as OC.

Was let go mid season. Only God and Prime know why, the offense was the only thing that didn't stink in Colorado.

His offenses at Kent State were really good. Kent State was every bit as bad as UNLV as a program and he went to two bowl games. If Arroyo had done that he'd still be here.

No the MAC isn't good. But he played a brutal OOC schedule. Three P5s one year. He replaces Maryland or Texas A&M or both with a Bryant or Vandy results probably look different.

Not saying a home run hire by any stretch but they had to do something there to fix the offense.

SDSU has been awful on offense. If he can retain or get some solid defensive guys around him this could be a good hire.

If I'm him, I'm looking at possibly Danny Gonzales to run the defense. Familiarity with conference and the school. Plus SDSU's defenses under Gonzales were really good. (A lot of that was also Rocky Long admittedly)
Yeah, I get playing P5s in one season can drastically tilt your W/L records, but Kent St. had to schedule that way to fund its program. However, I do look at the rest of the conference and in his 2 best season, their only wins over teams with .500 record were Buffalo and Utah St. in a bowl game and then Miami (Oh) and N. Illinois... Would we have enjoyed that 4 year level of success at UNLV, given our history, yeah, but I dont think we would've been excited by this type of hire. either..

A fair question is, should he have been?

Don't know what was going on behind the scenes, but defense, poor Oline play were their biggest issues.
Probably shouldn’t have. While some are better than others at it, switching play calling duties rarely works out. That being said though, it would be tough for me to be excited about that hire

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Probably shouldn’t have. While some are better than others at it, switching play calling duties rarely works out. That being said though, it would be tough for me to be excited about that hire

No I get it. Not of people were excited about Odom.

I think G5 school fan bases often delude themselves with who they think might be interested in their jobs.

Reactions: rebswin2
Yeah, I get playing P5s in one season can drastically tilt your W/L records, but Kent St. had to schedule that way to fund its program. However, I do look at the rest of the conference and in his 2 best season, their only wins over teams with .500 record were Buffalo and Utah St. in a bowl game and then Miami (Oh) and N. Illinois... Would we have enjoyed that 4 year level of success at UNLV, given our history, yeah, but I dont think we would've been excited by this type of hire. either..

We can revisit the initial Odom hiring thread. I wouldn't say it created a ton of excitement.

I think it's a decent hire if uninspiring.

It's the life at a G5 program.

You either land a top coordinator who excels, (or fails) a guy on a redemption tour (Think Petrino) a retread looking to coach again (Mora) or an Odom scenario..Maybe a Gary Patterson if he really wants to coach again but no P5 schools shoe interest.

You aren't poaching guys away from P5 schools.

That said, the new 12 team playoff format makes top G5 schools look more attractive than low or mid range P4..

Let's say UNLV or Boise or whoever can go 11-1 next year. You have a betrer shot at playoffs (crazy as it sounds) than a guy who does a great job at Indiana but is 8-4.

We can revisit the initial Odom hiring thread. I wouldn't say it created a ton of excitement.

I think it's a decent hire if uninspiring.

It's the life at a G5 program.

You either land a top coordinator who excels, (or fails) a guy on a redemption tour (Think Petrino) a retread looking to coach again (Mora) or an Odom scenario..Maybe a Gary Patterson if he really wants to coach again but no P5 schools shoe interest.

You aren't poaching guys away from P5 schools.

That said, the new 12 team playoff format makes top G5 schools look more attractive than low or mid range P4..

Let's say UNLV or Boise or whoever can go 11-1 next year. You have a betrer shot at playoffs (crazy as it sounds) than a guy who does a great job at Indiana but is 8-4.
Also think about this.

If we beat San Jose, Fresno didn't fall apart and won out their games after playing us. And lets also say that Air Force didn't fall apart either for argument's sake. I know there are a lot of caveats here, but for a while that looked like what might happen.

We would be playing Fresno at Fresno for this championship game.

If we were to win there, we would be in the discussion for a NY6 game. As a G5 with 2 losses. With a pretty weak schedule to boot.

Would we get in? probably not if Tulane or maybe Liberty won their conference championship games. But it could have been close.

Per the NCAA website:

How CFP teams are selected under new format​

The new 12-team College Football Playoff field will include the six highest-ranked conference champions, which will receive automatic bids. The top four teams will receive a first-round bye to the quarterfinals.

First I'm surprised that it says 6 not 5? The new MW/Pac alliance makes us a strong candidate for the 5th highest ranked conference champion. A much easier path to beat other G5-6 conferences with the MW plus Oregon state and WSU.

And that is just for the next 2 seasons. If the PAC decides to rebuild with only selected MW teams and not all, especially if they add a couple of teams, we would almost guarantee the 5th best conference and potential autobid.

Is it understandable to be underwhelmed? Losing record as a head coach then demoted mid season as OC.

I think every job has to be looked at individually.

Kent State has been bad for a long time. I can't remember exactly but I think he won't 2-10 year one 7-5 year 2 went to bowl, was 3-1 Covid year went 6-6 and bowl year 4 and then 5-7 with a tough OOC schedule.

He got demoted, but I have to think there was some head butting behind the scenes. The offense was the only thing CU had going for them.

Odom was barely .500 at Missouri. There was a lot surrounding the program at the time.

Rocky Long was barely .500 at UNM. I think he got everything he could out of that program.

SDSU was probably meh about Long at the time and look what he did there, some top 25 finishes.

I don't think Lewis is a home run, but probably about as much as most G5 teams can hope for.

Get the PAC12 to 16-18 teams by trying to add SMU and UTSA to get a foot into Texas. Not sure what other teams fit into the West that could be added?

Get the PAC12 to 16-18 teams by trying to add SMU and UTSA to get a foot into Texas. Not sure what other teams fit into the West that could be added?

Possible but I think you could see Hawaii get left out, unless new conference is OK with Hawaii football only.

If you want UNM I think you bring in NMSU as well.

SMU just went to ACC.

Maybe You try and poach UTSA and Rice? Tulane? Tulsa?

Possible but I think you could see Hawaii get left out, unless new conference is OK with Hawaii football only.

If you want UNM I think you bring in NMSU as well.

SMU just went to ACC.

Maybe You try and poach UTSA and Rice? Tulane? Tulsa?
Looking at the teams getting ready to jump out of the ACC, they could be the new PAC12 trying to reorganize! Clemson, Florida State, Miami, Virginia Tech, North Carolina and North Carolina State have all been looked at as programs looking to leave the ACC. Tulane along with Stanford and California may end up finding a mess in the ACC.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Looking at the teams getting ready to jump out of the ACC, they could be the new PAC12 trying to reorganize! Clemson, Florida State, Miami, Virginia Tech, North Carolina and North Carolina State have all been looked at as programs looking to leave the ACC. Tulane along with Stanford and California may end up finding a mess in the ACC.

At which point do they rethink their decision?

Why. Again, the Pac12 or Pac2 or whatever we want to call it was killed by everyone else leaving. Adding a bunch of terrible teams from other smaller conferences and mudding up the $$ that will be negotiated in a few years doesn't seem like a benefit to any of the remaining MWC teams. I honestly think that were 2 years away from the Big 12 inviting us to join if we can have another year like this one. Its a good market for them, it makes a slam dunk location for Championship game rotations between Dallas and West Coast... When the buyout for teams to leave gets dissolved or becomes negligible thats when the moves will be made. So we play along with the Pac2 and then say see you later in a few seasons.

Reactions: unlove and dcut03
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT