ADVERTISEMENT

SBNation MWC Preview, UNLV (P)review

rebneck

Rebel Legend
May 29, 2001
These articles came out at the end of March, but I don't recall ever seeing them linked here. Still, it's something to read as we wait for fall camp.

First is the MWC Preview. The usual suspects are at the top, but the Rebs are inching up.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ootball-2016-projections-rankings/in/11009107

Then there's a more in-depth look at the Rebels of last year and what the trends are for this year. Lotta stuff.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...02/unlv-football-2016-preview-schedule-roster

These articles came out at the end of March, but I don't recall ever seeing them linked here. Still, it's something to read as we wait for fall camp.

First is the MWC Preview. The usual suspects are at the top, but the Rebs are inching up.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ootball-2016-projections-rankings/in/11009107

Then there's a more in-depth look at the Rebels of last year and what the trends are for this year. Lotta stuff.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...02/unlv-football-2016-preview-schedule-roster

As always, thank you sir...

I like that second article, puts the stats in perspective. We lost some good talent, but have some great talent coming in.

2nd article was solid and puts stats/#'s to the basic sentiment of this board. We saw the on field progress and a coaching staff that could come up with a solid game plan on both sides of the ball.

Offensively my brother and I believe we will rely heavy on the run and use the passing to game to keep teams off balance and big plays in play action. Thomas will be the feature back w/ Campbell , Greene getting reps while Whitely sits the first 3 games. Also watch out for Charles Williams to get a look back there as well, incoming freshman is fast like Lex with a little more size.

I think Woods will fill in the void left by Criswell/WIlliams at WR. Woods had arguably the best spring of any WR. Keys has improved over his first 2 years here and I expect another jump in production as teams key in on Boyd. Boyd has quietly climbed up the record books despite spotty QB play his first 2 years. He already has more career yards at this point than Ryan Wolfe did.

The defense should see a nice jump in play making. Will we be tops in the conference, no. But I think we see improvement against the run and create a few more turnovers. We have some solid corners in Hough, McTyer, Mouton, Jackson and some Experience at Safety with Keys and Hawthorne. LB looks to have added some nice depth with McCoy moving to OLB and Keyes pushing MacAleenan for reps at MLB. Tau has a lock on one spot. Big key will be getting some pressure on QB's and I think we will see a better effort there with Valaoga and Zepeda.

Can't wait until we start putting QB's on their back, the sack is such a big game changer. I don't care if we bring the house and leave everybody in man to man I don't want those guys comfortable under center this year!
THIS ^^^
Seems like we haven't gotten any regular pressure on opposing QBs since Anton Palepoi was here. That might be the key component when it comes to forcing turnovers and, Lord knows, we haven't gotten our share of turnovers for a long time!

Reactions: RebelBuzz
THIS ^^^
Seems like we haven't gotten any regular pressure on opposing QBs since Anton Palepoi was here. That might be the key component when it comes to forcing turnovers and, Lord knows, we haven't gotten our share of turnovers for a long time!

Pressuring the QB has been our biggest issue for a long time.

We saw an increase in turnovers last year, but even that needs to get better.

To put in perspective how bad our pass rush was, Vaolaga had nearly a 1/3 of our total sacks playing only 6 games. He had 2 1/2.

Thanks for the articles.
Interesting to see some of the numbers. It shows how much we struggled in the front seven. Poor Run defense and the worst pass rush in college football. Yikes. But I was amazed with some of the stats that defensive backfield were able to do. Granted it helped the other team that they could run all over us, but still.

Man is just my homerism, or does it feel like we are pretty loaded at the skill positions on offense? Give us a decent or better line, and a half way decent QB could really put up some numbers for us. Better push on the line for run plays could help too.

Last year if UNLV had a decent QB (not injured most of the time), they would have won 6-7 games. With what on paper is a big time upgrade on paper for the QB position, it is not out of line for UNLV to double the number of wins from last season. Most of the lines I have seen for UNLV have them at 4-5 wins this next year, which is based on the QB position still being an unknown.

Last year if UNLV had a decent QB (not injured most of the time), they would have won 6-7 games. With what on paper is a big time upgrade on paper for the QB position, it is not out of line for UNLV to double the number of wins from last season. Most of the lines I have seen for UNLV have them at 4-5 wins this next year, which is based on the QB position still being an unknown.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if this team is improving at all (and I believe they are), 5 wins should absolutely be the floor for this team. We play almost the exact same schedule as last year. In conference, they are the exact same teams, just swapping home/away. Non-conference:

2015-16
@ Northern Illinois (L)
v. UCLA (L)
@ Michigan (L)
v. Idaho State (W)

2016-17

v. Jackson State
@ UCLA
@ Central Michigan
v. Idaho

Northern Illinois and Central Michigan: very similar games, both road games, and I'd say NIU is the tougher task. UCLA both years: we'll lose both years. Jackson State and Idaho State: both are FCS home games.

So that means that for the last non-con game, we swapped out a road game at The Big House for a home game against soon-to-be FCS Idaho. There's our 4th win. My point being that a single-game improvement this year will almost be no improvement at all since it will likely be due to a much easier non-con opponent.

Therefore, if we expect actual improvement, they've gotta get at least one more win against a more-level-playing-field opponent. Get a win against CSU, WYO, Fresno, SJSU, or Central Michigan.

5 wins minimum. Gotta get there. And I am very confident we will.

Reactions: dcut03
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT