ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Connelly ESPN MWC 2022 projections.

unlv7163

UNLV Hall of Fame
Feb 26, 2004
Bill Connelly wrote up his 2022 MWC preview on ESPN+. As is typically the case with lower G5 conferences, the actual content of the was a bit on the lazy side, but I expect that.

Anyway I thought the simulations were interesting. Not sure how many times he simulates to get his averages, but he had UNLV with 4.9 wins, 3.3 conference wins and 34% chance at a bowl game. To me 4 wins needs to be the minimum but would hope we can get 5 or 6. He also mentioned Steve Jenkins as one his “10 favorite players in the division.”

Here’s the link for those with access.

Bill Connelly wrote up his 2022 MWC preview on ESPN+. As is typically the case with lower G5 conferences, the actual content of the was a bit on the lazy side, but I expect that.

Anyway I thought the simulations were interesting. Not sure how many times he simulates to get his averages, but he had UNLV with 4.9 wins, 3.3 conference wins and 34% chance at a bowl game. To me 4 wins needs to be the minimum but would hope we can get 5 or 6. He also mentioned Steve Jenkins as one his “10 favorite players in the division.”

I end up reading the article about the Cowboys paid $2.4 mil to settle with their cheerleaders. Funny crap!

Reactions: RebelScrub
I have previously thought 6 wins should be reached and looking at the schedule it‘s not like this last year... bare minimum is 5 wins with two or three chances at 6 wins should not be a huge stretch!

Can UNLV build on late-2021 progress? UNLV had its moments in 2021, Marcus Arroyo's second season in charge. The Rebels beat New Mexico and Hawai'i by two touchdowns each and indeed scared three MWC heavyweights.

The Rebels also lost by 45 to Iowa State, by 31 to Nevada and by 34 to Air Force, and they fell to Eastern Washington of the FCS. Vague promise or not, Arroyo's Las Vegas residency has begun with a 2-16 record.

The 2021 team leaned quite a bit on youth -- quarterback Cameron Friel, wide receivers Steve Jenkins and Kyle Williams, center Leif Fautanu and cornerbacks Cameron Oliver and Nohl Williams were all underclassmen -- and Arroyo has attempted to supplement the depth chart with some power-conference transfers (Tennessee quarterback Harrison Bailey and Michigan State big-play receiver Ricky White, among others). You can find hope here if you squint, but there's probably still a long way to go.

Favorite 10 players in MWC West:

WR Steve Jenkins, UNLV. UNLV struggled with drops in 2021, but Jenkins was a lovely safety valve, dropping only two passes all season and averaging 15.1 yards per catch out of the slot. He's the surest thing for an offense that could use as much sureness as possible.

2022 projections​

MWC West Projections​

TEAMSP+ RKOFF.DEF.AVG. WCONF. WBOWL ODDS
Fresno St.3928569.86.6100%
SDSU67118127.55.292%
SJSU96110746.33.869%
UNLV109114924.93.334%
Nevada1201281093.61.89%
Hawaii1221171194.22.118%

You said it lazy, If Steve Jenkins is his go to player my god he's not even trying. Listen it's very easy to tell who knows UNLV football and who doesn't. I find 99% of the time most writers are fatigued by the time they get to us and mail it in on somebody else's cliff notes

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT