ADVERTISEMENT

Sanchez Post game Comments

I'm glad he's upset. That looked like Bobby Hauck football on Saturday.

They struggled in the second half, but they did not look like Bobby Hauck football. I have no question a Bobby Hauck team would have lost by at least 50 or more points in that game. Bobby Hauck teams lost by the type of score to lower division Southern Utah who beat UNLV 41-16. You forget how much better the teams are now compared to Bobby Hauck teams. UNLV lost 58-13 to a mid Pac12 level Arizona team that would have most likely lost to CMU. It may have been a disappointment, but our expectations are now much higher to the point we now expect to be competitive with teams that are on the fringe of being top 25 ranked.

The next two games verse Idaho and Fresno State, teams would should be able to beat, will give us a better feeling for how much better UNLV football is this year than in the past.

I love how CTS eschews the coach speak. He cuts through the BS and just lays it all out there. I'm sure he's even more direct with the players and coaches. I mean, I'm sure the CMU Facilities guys are looking at the visitors' locker room this morning and calling in an order for some paint! I think we'll see a much more focused effort this weekend.

Reactions: RebelinWA
I like that he's honest. No more of that "I don't know what happened." Type of presser from past coaches.

Reactions: 1Tripoda
I like that he's honest. No more of that "I don't know what happened." Type of presser from past coaches.
I'm glad to hear that part of it. But I'm still really disappointed with the effort. Not just because it's a poor effort, because firing them up and keeping them focused is a Sanchez strength, yet here we are, only in game three, and they decided to sleepwalk through what could turn out to be a pivotal game when it comes to going .500 or better.

It falls on the players. Can guarantee Sanchez and the staff were fired up and didn't take anything lightly - and they conveyed it to the team. Sometimes it comes down to the guys playing the game.

Everything was off, include both the players and the coaches. Those two long ball for CMU was so obvious when you see the CMU line up at the line. Move on.

I'm glad to hear that part of it. But I'm still really disappointed with the effort. Not just because it's a poor effort, because firing them up and keeping them focused is a Sanchez strength, yet here we are, only in game three, and they decided to sleepwalk through what could turn out to be a pivotal game when it comes to going .500 or better.

It falls on the players. Can guarantee Sanchez and the staff were fired up and didn't take anything lightly - and they conveyed it to the team. Sometimes it comes down to the guys playing the game.

Joe-

I was as disappointed by the showing vs CMU as anybody. However lets put it in perspective.

The prevailing wisdom was UNLV would probably go 2-2 in OOC. There was hope we would go 3-1 but the consensus was probably 2-2 heading into conference.

We still have every oppurtunity to do that this weekend.

2-2 heading into conference play gives us 8 games to win 4 and become bowl eligible. 4 of those 8 games are at home.

Yes it was a bad showing. Dropped passes, errant throws, penalties, you name it, we covered it.

CMU has been getting to bowls on a pretty regular basis. We have not. I am not sure why people expect this ship to be turned around quickly, when the money needed to do so has just started to come in.

Coming off a pretty solid showing against UCLA made the CMU performance feel like a real let down. However it shouldn't be all that surprising that a team coming off 2 and 3 win seasons could be prone to laying an egg or two during the season.

I didn't expect us to make a bowl game until year three under Sanchez. In my opinion making a bowl game this year puts us a year ahead of schedule.

Last edited:
Couple that with some really bad drops leading to a lot of 2nd/3rd and long situations. Just a bad game all around...
Hopefully they get their acts in order for Idaho and Fresno...maybe that will carry some momentum into the SDSU game. Steal one from SDSU then we are more than a year ahead. Tall order indeed...

Hate to say it but...San Diego state and Donnel Pumphery looks like the class of the league. A win against them would be huge.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
That's a classy place for CMU to provide the opposing teams to do post-game press conferences....."yeah, just go over there and use the grassy hill, with kids running around, as your backdrop"...geez

Typically on road games a couple of our local media guys (depending on who travel, usually Kevin Bollinger from Fox 5, sometimes Graney, Bern, etc) speak with Sanchez outside the locker room after he addresses the team. I'd guess it was too close of quarters. Never been to CMU's stadium, but I know some of the visiting locker rooms I've been near don't really have a good place for speaking. Pure conjecture.

They struggled in the second half, but they did not look like Bobby Hauck football. I have no question a Bobby Hauck team would have lost by at least 50 or more points in that game. Bobby Hauck teams lost by the type of score to lower division Southern Utah who beat UNLV 41-16. You forget how much better the teams are now compared to Bobby Hauck teams. UNLV lost 58-13 to a mid Pac12 level Arizona team that would have most likely lost to CMU. It may have been a disappointment, but our expectations are now much higher to the point we now expect to be competitive with teams that are on the fringe of being top 25 ranked.

The next two games verse Idaho and Fresno State, teams would should be able to beat, will give us better feeling for how much better UNLV football is this year than in the past.

They struggled in the first half also - the score just helped to sugar coat that. If not for the blocked punt TD, the 85 yard untouched TD sprint by LT on 2nd-and-17, and CMU's struggling kicking game, the score could have been ugly by the half. It wasn't a case of getting warn down by a deeper, more physical opponent. Our weaknesses were repeatedly exposed when we were on defense and passes were often dropped or poorly thrown.

This Saturday is our chance to see how much the culture has changed since Hauck. I guess I was just optimistic that we would get our first non-conf road win since ASU in '08 last weekend, and that amplified the disappointment. This weekend's Idaho game should show that UNLV will be favored on the road at Idaho next season, so that game might end up being the anticipated Sanchez NC road win. Since '17 will be the final year at the FBS level they will probably struggle with recruiting.

^^ why play the what if game. The block punt DID happen, the long run DID happen. Try living in reality so much better
UNLV just didn't bring it. First two scores were on big plays... they weren't getting the types of scores that make you feel comfortable. Not calling a punt block or 85 yard run a fluke, but they are big plays. We didn't run for crap before or after that, really. So the score was more of an anomaly in that game.

Team didn't like tight. They looked like they didn't care that there was a game.

Last week really brought my enthusiasm down a lot. Its ok to lose a tuff game but to let the guy set the stadium record for td's was embarrassing. Secondary looked really bad. Hopefully we can turn it around this week. This game is a MUST WIN imo.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Last week really brought my enthusiasm down a lot. Its ok to lose a tuff game but to let the guy set the stadium record for td's was embarrassing. Secondary looked really bad. Hopefully we can turn it around this week. This game is a MUST WIN imo.
First time in the Sanchez era I've felt that way. Even getting absolutely crushed at home vs SDSU last year didn't take the wind out of the sails like this game did.

I could be wrong, but I think the absence of Keys in the first half played a big role in their success. Shouldn't be an excuse, and we need to be better at "next man up", but defensively, his absence was impactful.

And again, on offense, I think this game showed that we're missing our 2nd and 3rd best receivers on the team in Keys and Presley.

We'll be alright.

Without Presley, the two receivers playing opposite Boyd have played in a combined 6 college football games.

Those receivers actually have more career receptions and yards than Presley. Its a young group that with an inexperienced passer.
Hopefully they weather the storm and keep developing. I don't feel they can afford to redshirt any pass catchers this season.

Those receivers actually have more career receptions and yards than Presley. Its a young group that with an inexperienced passer.
Hopefully they weather the storm and keep developing. I don't feel they can afford to redshirt any pass catchers this season.

Yes now they do because he hasn't played since week one Will, and only started getting meaningful snaps towards end of last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT