ADVERTISEMENT

Review-Journal coverage of first football game

ckfitz

All Conference
Gold Member
Oct 15, 2020
Hope you don't mind me venting a bit. I am probably one of the few followers of UNLV who still gets the Review-Journal daily. There has been almost no coverage of how the Rebels have progressed during practice and today, no preview of today's game with Houston. There were two articles one in the Review-Journal and one in the Sun. Both were more like human interest stories about Woodward and White. They both deserve coverage but there was nothing about comparing the two teams, position by position and no RJ prediction. I find that appalling. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

I definitely forgot about him and his bff (I can’t remember his name) but did see Gramala’s name again on Twitter recently. So I’ll have to deal with that guy’s attempts for clicks from now until after MBB.
The ones seemingly with “info” are just extensions of UNLV, the echo what UNLV wants them to say.

I used to enjoy independent voices/opinions, I don’t expect that out of beat writers - they basically try to present information in different ways, to try and stay away from being bland.

Do a game story, there’s only so many ways to describe what unfolded, something that’s unfolded a half million times before. That’s where the personal articles are fine, different angles. But a game? Hard to make it exciting. You describe the scores, the big plays, the pivotal moments … only so much you can do.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I had considered getting the online edition of the RJ for UNLV sports, football in particular, but if they really are not covering them, then there really isn't a reason to get the online edition.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
It was 30 years ago! Media landscape is so different now. There are good resources out there for UNLV sports news. LVRJ is not one of them.
Right before the computers and mobile phone craze, I used to get up in the morning and enjoyed breakfast while reading a story on the unlv game. It used to be an ACTUAL story, a detailed description of the game and it was written in a way you can see how the game went in your head. Even if they got blown out or Horton getting smoked in every game, you still read it.

Nowadays it’s a quick snapshot and they call it a story. Sad!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT