ADVERTISEMENT

Report - Pitino rejects offer

Rebel_Westgate

Walk On
Jan 9, 2016
Been told late last week that UNLV had offered Pitino after UNLV representatives met with the coach early in the week. Source I do not know but a close friend who lives in Las Vegas met and spoke to him continuously to make an attempt to get him to UNLV.

Was told he just doesn't want to make the move. I think he is going to stay at Louisville and then retire.

Was told that UNLV offer would have made him one of the top paid coaches in the NCAA and gave him full control of the program and large stake in the future of the athletic department.

I can also inform you that Pitino was swayed by given % of stake in a development in Las Vegas. Pitino doesn't want to leave UL obviously so thats the end of that.

I do have more news on the UNLV coaching search. Stay tuned!

Damn, must have been a huge offer.

Shame. He's probably not gonna survive the shtstorm coming down the pipe at Louisville.

Damn, must have been a huge offer.

Shame. He's probably not gonna survive the shtstorm coming down the pipe at Louisville.

That would take booster support we don't currently have. Unless this was outside money from a new party. Our core group of boosters could not get anywhere near that type of money. UNLV definetely can't.

Reactions: Doneoett
That would take booster support we don't currently have. Unless this was outside money from a new party. Our core group of boosters could not get anywhere near that type of money. UNLV definetely can't.
What are you saying, you don't believe the original post is true about a huge offer being made to Pitino?

Wynn, Ferttitas, Adelson? These guys can write huge checks.
Who knows what the boosters can or cannot come up with, only those on the inside are privy to that info, and I'm sure it's a fluid situation. The four or five million for Pitino would clearly not be there for a Lavin or Cronin.

What are you saying, you don't believe the original post is true about a huge offer being made to Pitino?

Wynn, Ferttitas, Adelson? These guys can write huge checks.
Who knows what the boosters can or cannot come up with, only those on the inside are privy to that info, and I'm sure it's a fluid situation. The four or five million for Pitino would clearly not be there for a Lavin or Cronin.

I think there may have been dialogue, nothing more.

Last edited:
clearly, the development % he was being offered was a pile of *^%. otherwise it was another Done Deal.

i'll make sure i follow Rick and not invest in it.

This whole series of posts is completely in lala land. People who believe Westgate probably believe Trump is going to build a wall and Mexico is going to pay for it. &$$king unbelievable!!

If you drink the Kool Aid, everything is a possibility.
He was right about the stadium announcement and NHL team, right? Nobody else is saying sht around here, sitting back acting like they know it all.

UNLV made Pitino an offer in 2001 that would have made him the highest paid coach in NCAAB so who knows what's in the pot this time around. The town is alot bigger now and UNLV athletics is still number one.

He was right about the stadium announcement and NHL team, right? Nobody else is saying sht around here, sitting back acting like they know it all.

UNLV made Pitino an offer in 2001 that would have made him the highest paid coach in NCAAB so who knows what's in the pot this time around. The town is alot bigger now and UNLV athletics is still number one.

He had good information on stadium proposal.

He 'broke' news on the NHL the same day a story was in the RJ. The date he gave as an announcement date was also listed in the RJ.

His coaching search information has been extremely vague, giving himself plenty of outs in case he was wrong. UNLV has never been 'all-in' on Pitino. UNLV has never been 'down to two' candidates. There are multiple candidates being interviewed and considered. His lone definitive statement was 'Todd Simon' is not being considered. Not exactly going out on a limb with that.

What does 'give Pitino full control of the athletic department mean? ' make him the AD when he retires? Not likely he would want it. What does large stake in the future of the program mean? A percentage of revenue? UNLV athletic department ran in the black for the first time in a long time last year. UNLV athletics are not 'number 1'. Rice was 4th or 5th highest paid coach in conference. I believe Sanchez may be lowest paid coach in the conference. UNLV is not in good financial shape. There are people doing some good work behind the scenes to fix that, but UNLV athletics is hardly #1. Football is way behind in terms of facilities. The effort to procure funds for a new football facility has proven difficult. We have piss poor attendance for football and baseball. Our season ticket sales for football are a joke at around 5k.

I am not saying Westgate is a troll. He very well may think what he is reporting is true. If you care to take what he is saying as gospel feel free.

Last edited:
Reactions: RebtillDeath
Maybe he is a troll. I meant UNLV is the #1 game in town.
And they did offer him 2 mil in 2001 which would have made the highest paid coach in college hoops at the time. I believe the money is there if he wants the job, but no other candidate will command that kind of cash (4M+).

This post is full of BS. No college institution would offer a basketball coach full control of the athletic department...come on..get real.
I don't know about the validity of the info, but they did give that sort of control to get FB Coach John Robinson. He was made head FB coach AND Athletic Director. I'm glad Pitino rejected the offer, maybe he's hoping Louisville has to buy out his contract to fire him so he can retire at full salary and not have to work again.

Apparently you are the one who cannot read, he said control of the program, not the athletic department.

Was told that UNLV offer would have made him one of the top paid coaches in the NCAA and gave him full control of the program and large stake in the future of the athletic department.

First off the tenor of my post wasn't condescending. I was suggesting you read the post again, because it was worded funny.

'Control of program and full stake in the athletic program.'

What college basketball coach doesn't have full control of their basketball program. What he said made absolutely no sense.

First off the tenor of my post wasn't condescending. I was suggesting you read the post again, because it was worded funny.

'Control of program and full stake in the athletic program.'

What college basketball coach doesn't have full control of their basketball program. What he said made absolutely no sense.
I would disagree. I think there are a lot of constraints on coaches these days. For him to know he can do what he wants was a big part of the deal.

I would disagree. I think there are a lot of constraints on coaches these days. For him to know he can do what he wants was a big part of the deal.

Define 'what he wants'

All coaches are bound to NCAA guidelines. Some are better at getting around them than others.Some schools are seemingly made of teflon.

What control are we talking about?

Recruiting? His staff? His tv/radio obligations? Public appearances?

What exactly would he be given that other coaches aren't. I am honestly curious what else there is.

I don't get the hostility towards Westgate's posts. He seems to have insider info on certain subjects - if your not on the 3-person search team you probably have limited 100% info on the details. That being said, I'm crossing RP off the list - who cares who said or offered what it's not happening. The open hostility towards this poster is bemusing. Anyone want to offer up sone compelling info on the search?

I don't get the hostility towards Westgate's posts. He seems to have insider info on certain subjects - if your not on the 3-person search team you probably have limited 100% info on the details. That being said, I'm crossing RP off the list - who cares who said or offered what it's not happening. The open hostility towards this poster is bemusing. Anyone want to offer up sone compelling info on the search?

Its not open hostility at all. He is posting some things though, that quite a few people with solid connections to the program are saying are partially or completely false.

As for news on the coaching search, Mick Cronin to UNLV is getting lots of media run.

How is the information that Westgates presenting any different than what's presented on the conf board? The only difference I can see is that I'm saving $10 a month. There are a ton of posters on the conf board who claim to have insider info and sources close to the program as well who have been way off on some of their predictions. If Westgate was posting his information on the conf board, would that make him more legitimate?

The responsibility of the three person search committee is to keep their deliberations SECRET. The nature of a high profile search means that various people, boosters, other coaches, agents for coaches, friends of agents and/or coaches, can and will contact members of the search committee to "recommend" coach X or the let the committee know that coach Y is "interested." Much of the public information about the search comes from these secondary sources, who, if the committee is doing a responsible job, know almost nothing about what is REALLY happening.

We will know something, when there is something definitive to know. I won't be surprised if the next coach is someone whose name has not be associated with this job, until 12 or fewer hours before the press conference announcing the new coach.

Adelson wants a stadium to make himself some $. Don't get it twisted. Though I am not going to complain if he builds one LOL!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT