ADVERTISEMENT

Remember Idaho?

Yeah that loss doesn't look so bad now... but still, it was more about how we lost. We came to play like we knew we were gonna roll over them. It was clear from the pregame warmups that they were there to play and we were sleepwalking. Same can be said for our CSU loss. The loss wasn't the bad part, as they ended up with a decent record, it was that we came in and got the freakin doors blown off to the tune of 35-0 at half. We aren't good enough to go through the motions and expect to win.

Also, about Idaho, I still wish that we would snatch up Coach Cink, their offensive coordinator, and Vegas legend.

Idaho beat CSU to finish their season at 9-4 and finished as the Idaho Potato Bowl champs.
Petrino said with wins over UNLV and CSU the Vandals would look good in the Mountain West. But they will compete wherever they go.

I think the type of up and down performance and energy we saw this season is characteristic of working to transform a losing culture into winners. Combine that with the team's youth and string of injuries and we saw a team who one week beat Wyoming in a war, but then laid down against UNR in a pillow fight.

The past two seasons the program has gotten a taste of slightly more wins than its traditional two victories per year. The culture is gradually changing and despite what a couple naysayers claim, the talent level is improving nicely on the roster. I truly think with another year of strength and conditioning and maturing that the team will show more consistency next season and continue its upward trend.

The progress should be exponential and I think we'll see a noticeably bigger step forward next season.

Last edited:
Idaho's radio announcers (I was listening before getting home to watch) still point to the UNLV game as the key to their season. It proved to them that they could play - gave them confidence - and really provided the glue to bring the team together for the season. I can't help but think if the tables were turned, we might've been the ones bowling instead of the Vandals. Just goes to prove that every stone across a river is as important a step as the next. Take care of business everyday, then you're not scrambling, or scratching your head, at the end.

Idaho's records the last four years: 1-11, 1-11, 4-8, 9-4 and bowl winner. We're next.

Who-daho?

What I remember from the UNLV/Idaho 33-30 OT loss was my moment of realization that Idaho had stability and consistency at the QB position - Idaho with a JR QB who had started since early his freshman year - and UNLV did not, with Stanton at his third college. Idaho had no interceptions and Stanton had two ugly interceptions... the first was a pick-6 that put UNLV in a hole.

Petrino can say that the Vandals are MWC level, but good luck to him recruiting a successor to Linehan (the JR QB) with recruits knowing they will be FCS. Take away Linehan and Idaho wouldn't have been competitive either against UNLV or CSU (where he passed for 381 yards and 4 TDs, 0 INTS, and ran in a TD).

Last edited:
Reactions: j. spilotro
You can take away players from any team and it changes who they are. Simple fact is Idaho beat UNLV on our home field, and beat the shit out of CSU.

If you remove pumphrey from SDSU they likely would have been a 6-6 team. If UNLV had Armani as QB, and he ends up being as good as we hope, UNLV could very well have been a 8-4 team instead of 4-8. One good QB turns a bad team into a bowl team on most lower mid level teams (including UNLV).

It is unfortunate for Idaho that they didn't have a year like this year prior to the announcement that they were dropping down to a lower division. It is also unfortunate for Idaho that they got caught in the conference re-alignment/shift game and ended up odd man out.

Idaho is MWC level. They proved that on the field. Obviously their recruiting will drop off going forward since they're soon to be moving to FCS, but in terms of this season losing to Idaho was not the bad loss we originally thought it was. That said, UNLV still should have won that game.

I agree with 1986's point, Idaho's identity includes their quality key players, just like with every other team. Their roster (as a team) beat both MWC schools they played. 9-4 and a bowl win is pretty good and takes more than just one good player so they do have some talent.

Reactions: RebelinWA
Thank you.

Our issues have been the result of BSU's ambitions. We tried like hell to keep up. We followed them to the Big West in 1996 and did ok. When the Big West fell apart, BSU found a home in the WAC. Fortunately, Idaho was able to get into the newly developed Sun Belt conference. We lost a lot of fan support while playing teams no one had ever heard of. When the WAC dissolved in 2012, we went Independent for one year then returned to the SBC in 2013. Our program was at an all time low. We had sanctions due to poor performance in the classroom, our rivalry with BSU was dissolved, and we were back to playing southern teams.

What got us back on track was the hiring of Petrino and recruiting Linehan.

Remaining FBS gives us a chance against our real rivals.

Thank you.

Our issues have been the result of BSU's ambitions. We tried like hell to keep up. We followed them to the Big West in 1996 and did ok. When the Big West fell apart, BSU found a home in the WAC. Fortunately, Idaho was able to get into the newly developed Sun Belt conference. We lost a lot of fan support while playing teams no one had ever heard of. When the WAC dissolved in 2012, we went Independent for one year then returned to the SBC in 2013. Our program was at an all time low. We had sanctions due to poor performance in the classroom, our rivalry with BSU was dissolved, and we were back to playing southern teams.

What got us back on track was the hiring of Petrino and recruiting Linehan.

Remaining FBS gives us a chance against our real rivals.
First question: Who are your real rivals? You can't really say BSU anymore, though I think Kustra's an ass for killing that.

I'm really torn on this issue, having to separate the emotional issues from the practical. The Vandals were my introduction to college football, listening to games on the radio back when Rick Seefried was QB (yeah, I'm older). My dad was an alum. My uncle actually played for them back in the 30's before saddling up with Uncle Sam's Misguided Children and going off to fight the Japanese in WWII. As an Idaho native who grew up playing sports, I cheered for any team from my state that made a splash nationally, whether it was CSI basketball winning JC national championships, Idaho St or Boise St winning I-AA FB nattys, ISU's run to the Elite 8 before getting beat by the Hardway 8, or the Vandals Sweet 16 run that ended at the hands of G-Town's Patrick Ewing and Michael Graham. In recent years it's all been about BSU up here, but I still pull for all the state's teams to do well. Since the UI has the most family ties for me, I root for them (except against certain opponents!). From an emotional standpoint, I'd love to see the Vandals remain FBS. However, the practicalities seem to carry the day, and they should.

Schools that reside in low population density areas need a conference to call home. It's not like Moscow is South Bend or even Provo/SLC. UI can't even win the attendance battle in the Palouse, what with Wazzu - what? - eight miles away, with 35k seat Martin Stadium. There is no TV market. Transportation is a nightmare, though Spokane, and its reasonably sized airport, is 80 miles away. I suppose you could make the CSU-Denver argument (this is about 15 miles shorter, and better highway). The facilities scream "FCS". The Kibbie Dome capacity is only 16k, and that's not going to get you a home-and-home with anyone of any note. They could expand, but who would fill the seats? There's just not the population. The spotty nature of the competitiveness of the FB and BB teams doesn't make any potential suitor take notice. So, if I'm an FBS conference, I look at the Vandals and say, "They bring nothing to the table but a mouth to feed." I wish it weren't so, but all their natural rivals are in the Big Sky. With most of them being a reasonable drive, the students could become engaged again. Football in the Big Beer Can would be fun more than one season in twelve.

It would be interesting to know what NMSU's plans are, because they're in the same boat, but even less competitive.

VB, I'll cede the floor and hope you can convince me there are practical reasons for the Vandals not to drop. I'm hoping you can.

Reactions: RebelinWA
As for a rival, it is still BSU regardless if they ran from the rivalry.

If we stay FBS, financially we will be able to keep a couple of sports that will go away with the move to the Big Sky. And, any opportunity of catching BSU will never happen.

Since we gentlemen are older, there was a time it would be laughable to say Northwestern, North Carolina, Duke and Baylor would be in bowl games. If we give this opportunity away, years from now someone will say the same about NMSU in bowl games rather than the Vandals.

We do have history in the Big Sky. But, aside from the Montana schools, ISU, EWU, no one is left. Our bowl win over CSU had better ratings and brought the UofI more recognition/money than the FCS championship.

The issue isn't our facilities, attendance or athletic budget. If so, there should be many other teams to join us in this possible move. It is whether we can compete at the FBS level. Idaho will be ranked around 61 to 71 this year over many G5 teams and some P5 teams. If they want to drop, be our guests. We won't do so without a fight.

Go Vandals, we will see you in Moscow next year.

No recruiting base. No TV market. FCS-sized stadium. If the Mountain West doesn't want them -- you try asking Boise State to vote "yes" -- they have no home. Independence isn't easy for a school like BYU, and Idaho is no BYU. And it's not like the Vandals weren't god-awful for most of the past couple of decades.

Face it. The Big Sky is the only logical move. Hell, the Rebels have far more advantages than the Vandals, and they are one more coaching failure away from a loud call to drop down as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT