ADVERTISEMENT

recruits

With the loss at Fresno state will we start to lose recruits to other schools. we have 9 so far will that go down . Thoughts
Its always a fluid situation. I think the guys that already committed will most likely be there at the end. If we had won there wouldn't have been a ton more kids that would have become interested in UNLV. With the loss I don't think we lost anybody either. Honestly until they sign that letter of intent you never know.

They committed before any hope that this team would go beyond two wins. Why would they change their minds now?

Man. I'm not worried about commits changing their mind, just this small contingent of fans that get a taste of success and jump at the first sign of struggle. We knew this team was going to have a hard time this year, why all of a sudden are we going to lose recruits.

They committed before any hope that this team would go beyond two wins. Why would they change their minds now?

Man. I'm not worried about commits changing their mind, just this small contingent of fans that get a taste of success and jump at the first sign of struggle. We knew this team was going to have a hard time this year, why all of a sudden are we going to lose recruits.
I don't think he meant it in a negative way just curious if it could impact the process.

With the loss at Fresno state will we start to lose recruits to other schools. we have 9 so far will that go down . Thoughts
Sorry about my post, I misread your comments (without the question mark).

It's just funny to see some people jump off the bandwagon as when they jumped on.

The bye will be used to hit the recruiting trail hard. I am sure we will see new names pop up on this site as being targeted and the coaches following new players on twitter. Expect to see more JUCO O line/ D Line and Safety offers go out. Those are the 3 areas that will be under the most overhaul after this season.

D line I think they will focus on D-Ends who can create a pass rush, that is the biggest weakness of this group right now. The tackle spot is full of young players that have plenty of potential.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
It would be great if we could get a verbal from one of the JUCO Qbs during this week.

Defensive end is our next biggest hole to fill in my opinion. Our defensive line has been a lot better vs the run this year, but have been unable to generate any type of pass rush.

One more JUCO offensive linemen preferably a tackle would be third biggest need.

There was an article in RJ today about former BGHS QB Stetson Stallworth out of Yuma Catholic. Seems like a big strong kid with a great arm and can run as well. The kid has local ties with his dad playing QB at UNLV and he has also played for Sanchez. Could be worth a look, I don't see where he has a lot of offers right now.

http://m.reviewjournal.com/opinion/...shop-gorman-backup-qb-stallworth-thrives-yuma

Last edited:
I think we are set (in terms of #'s) with Jack Smith from AZ coming in the fall and Dalton Sneed RS FR along with Palandech. If another QB is brought in I think it has to be a JUCO to compete right away for the starting job, hopefully arriving in time for Spring Ball.

Not saying they wont look at Stetson but the way the roster is panning out at that position not sure there will be another High School QB brought in unless we find an absolute stud.

I agree with Rebelbuck that we are set at the QB for next year. As long as everybody comes back and Jack Smith stays committed, we will have 4 scholarship QB's on the roster and three of them will have been with the program at least one year. If Palandech isn't the answer I think one of the high school recruits will develope into a solid QB for us.

Last edited:
Kevin Thomson, not sure what his timeline on throwing will be or when he will be ready to go. I know the recovery of Tommy John is quite extensive so not sure how much he will be in the mix so that puts at 3 QBs. I fully expect this staff to go after a JUCO QB to come in and Compete right away for the starting job.

Yeah we need some talent at right guard regardless of who is throwing. With Noone, Scoggins and Gstrin graduating, we'll probably need at least one stud guard to go with that stud right tackle. I think Singer can replace one guard and Polu can back up the right tackle. Polu needs a little work; he is really strong at 345, but really slow.

That, safety, and defensive end is probably our biggest needs. We need pass rushers. Fao and Mike are man animals when left on one to one. but they need some speed at the ends. Wily is fast, but gets trapped and doesn't have enough weight to break free. I keep seeing our defensive tackles getting double teamed.

Dont forget we will have Zack Singer back as well after RS this year. In the spring he worked with the D Line (maybe due to #'s) but in fall camp was with the O Line. Very interested to see where the coaches feel he is needed most. Played his Freshman year at Kent St on the D Line. He might be one of the answers on the interior as well.

Singer is a bully, much like Krietler. Singer will lock onto whoever is unfortunate to be in front of him and will try to fight him the entire game. That goes no matter which side of the ball Singer is on. He was a pretty good find.

Yeah we need some talent at right guard regardless of who is throwing. With Noone, Scoggins and Gstrin graduating, we'll probably need at least one stud guard to go with that stud right tackle. I think Singer can replace one guard and Polu can back up the right tackle. Polu needs a little work; he is really strong at 345, but really slow.

That, safety, and defensive end is probably our biggest needs. We need pass rushers. Fao and Mike are man animals when left on one to one. but they need some speed at the ends. Wily is fast, but gets trapped and doesn't have enough weight to break free. I keep seeing our defensive tackles getting double teamed.
Polu probably will play inside at one of the OG spots. I think he could play RT but might struggle a bit in pass protection. He doesn't have great feet like you mentioned. I think RT is even more of a concern. Saxelid has been ok at LT and has room to grow still. Sanders has been up and down this year.

I think Singer stays on the Oline. On defense he would be an interior guy or maybe strong side defensive end. I think we are solid at the interior defensive line positions.

Scoggins graduating doesn't really hurt as he has offered nothing this year. Noone Gstrein both hurt since both play/start.

I agree with Buck we probably see at least one Juco Oline guy come in to compete for time right away. Most likely at the OT position. Even with the departures we have some young guys coming in/plus Polu and Neale that might be able to play right away on the interior.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT