ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting class ranking, 2023

bcvegaspt

Bench warmer
Staff
Feb 26, 2005
Twelfth seat if I'm lucky

Sports bettors keep pretty solid information. He states that our class was ranked 134 (including transfers) and was our worst ranking ever.

Hopefully, our player development ranks #1 in the nation.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Mountain West Recruiting Notes:
1. Boise State has signed the top class in the Mountain West in 12 of the last 13 years.
2. Colorado State’s No. 69 class was their best finish since 2004. RB Damian Henderson is their highest-rated recruit since 2001.
3. 19 of Fresno State’s 20 freshman signees are from the state of California.
4. 17 of San Diego St’s 18 freshman signees are from California and Texas.
5. Air Force’s No. 102 class was their 2nd-highest finish since 2011.
6. 12 of San Jose State’s 14 freshman signees are from the state of California.
7. Five of Wyoming’s Top 7 recruits are from the state of Texas.
8. Nevada brings in the top transfer class in the Mountain West (12 transfers overall).
9. Hawaii’s No. 114 class was their best finish since 2018.
10. OT Taliafi Taala is Utah State’s highest-rated recruit since 2004.
11. New Mexico’s No. 126 class was their worst finish ever.
12. UNLV’s No. 134 class (including FCS) was their worst finish ever.

Yikes. I thought we were pretty solid. Thats downright disgusting.
One step forward, two steps back. I don't understand some of the comments that Arroyo's recruiting was not that great. We'll be starting at the bottom again because no matter how good our new coaches are at developing players, it takes time to do that.

Reactions: 220reb
Odom got lots of smaller players who are hopefully able to fill out. He has his work cut out for sure.

Looks like he's using the 24/7 recruiting rankings judging by several teams he spelled out their place including ours. The 24/7 list has a lot of outdated ratings and n/a zero stars. Someone posted early that they are just slow to update the totals.

We will find out how good this recruiting class is very soon.

I went and found it.

Powers is a pretty good handicapper, but it seems like he went to the standing 24/7 rankings list and just made a crib sheet out of it with some historical notes. It's not him with any of his own recruiting ranking. In fairness to him ESPN hides theirs behind a paywall now and rivals is way more out of date.

I don't think this a great class, but I don't think it's 134th either.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Odom got lots of smaller players who are hopefully able to fill out. He has his work cut out for sure.
That gave me a flashback to the Hawkster days. Bobby would recruit kids that were big boned and hoped they would fill out. I remember one kid he recruited from a small Christian school on E. Bonanza. One of those wtf moments as I don't even think the school had a football team. He was allowed to be on a team from a school in his area.

I cannot find the link now but UNLV was #2 behind Boise. 247 only have 20 something recruits. UNLV have about 30+ right now. I dont think they calculate the transfers from different schools or the JC either?
Just let Odom, Marion and Scherer do their thing.

Last edited:
I think by the time you get down to the pool that the likes of UNLV recruits from there isnt much difference between 80 and 134. Is the 400th ranked LB better than #450?

Yep. It comes down to how well does that player fit your system, player development and eye for talent/potential.

I think by the time you get down to the pool that the likes of UNLV recruits from there isnt much difference between 80 and 134. Is the 400th ranked LB better than #450?
Yea like what is the difference between the #100 RB in nation and #300 RB in nation? It gets really stupid and subjective. HS kids are all different. Some peak as total studs at 17 years old. Some don't even mature until 20.

Yea like what is the difference between the #100 RB in nation and #300 RB in nation? It gets really stupid and subjective. HS kids are all different. Some peak as total studs at 17 years old. Some don't even mature until 20.
To further your point, some are 17/18 when entering college and some are 19/20. Just like the basketball player from here about 10-12 years ago (I think) who was the lefty SG who played at Gorman and UCLA, then into the pros. He was talented, but he wasn't as great when matched against young men his age or older. He ended up being a pro, but not the impactful one many predicted.

Shabazz. I thought of his name after I typed above.

Yep. It is a strategy of some parents to hold kids back in school at young ages to increase their chance of dominance in high school. I knew a parent who did that and the kid did get a d1 hoop scholarship. And yes, he sat for most of his college hoop career. Shabazz did not last long in the NBA. But if his parent had him play vs people his own age he likely would have never made the NBA as he made the NBA off his high school hype.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT