ADVERTISEMENT

Recruit offers.

Buffel

Starter
Apr 16, 2019
It seems more and more young men are receiving offers from Coach Otz just recently. Would be funny if more of them want to come then he has available. Like an airline overbooking seats and someone gets bumped. Looks like all 3 Star players but Pat McCaw was a 3 Star who worked out just fine.

Typically the bigger schools put out far more offers then available scholarships. All the time you see good football recruits being bounced at the last minute for even better recruits, the same is true in basketball. You make a lot of offers and then pick the best players from that group that fit the system!

It seems Otz is recruiting low 3 star players. I hope he knows better than everybody what low 3's to recruit.

We need big men too. Not just shooters.

Reactions: TimothyC3
247sports has Martinez as the #35 center in the nation, not sure why that would be ugh? The other player UNLV has signed is Nick Blake who is a very high level 3* on 247 and a 4* on ESPN who had offers from Kansas State, Arizona State, Colorado and CSU.

Last edited:
247sports has Martinez as the #35 center in the nation, not sure why that would be ugh? The other player UNLV has signed is Nick Blake who is a very high level 3* on 247 and a 4* on ESPN who had offers from Kansas State, Arizona State, Colorado and CSU.
Have you seen him play? Do you know anyone who has seen him play? Did you know why he transferred from Coronado?

Eddie Corbett or Fred Heygood would bust his ass.

Have you seen him play? Do you know anyone who has seen him play? Did you know why he transferred from Coronado?

Hey, Eddie had that one good game against Michigan and Tractor Traylor. After the game Traylor was telling Eddie,'Hey man good game! See you in the NBA!'.

I'm a bit worried that Otz doesn't have seem to be going after any 4/5-star players, like at all. I'd like to see his recruiting match his ambitious scheduling more.

I had heard he was released from the team & it wasn't his choice. Not sure of the reason. This is his 3rd HS is almost as many years. That is a little concerning.

Reactions: TimothyC3
Joe, what to you think of the Yap commitment? Seems like he was moving up in the eyes of some schools. Is Otz just taking chances on what he sees as future be potential?

Joe, what to you think of the Yap commitment? Seems like he was moving up in the eyes of some schools. Is Otz just taking chances on what he sees as future be potential?
Haven’t seen him play aside from video highlights which is always the worst way to assess something.

I can base it on what people I trust tell me, people that have seen him play many times, people that have gone against him and whatnot - consensus is pretty meh. Four year player, will be a decent in time, not a franchise type of early high impact guy, a knock on him has been numbers vs strong competition.

Thanks Joe. Hard for some of us not in the loop to get an honest assessment of the local recruits. All we get is the positive tweets. Never any constructive criticism.

We’ve seen in the past that successfully recruiting 4 and 5 star players doesn’t guarantee anything at all, except for maybe the fact they are more likely to leave after a year.

I’m way more concerned with how Otz can make these recruits look.

We will get a chance to see how important his scheme and his coaching is. This is where we will find out the difference between coaching staffs. The talent level seems similar.

We’ve seen in the past that successfully recruiting 4 and 5 star players doesn’t guarantee anything at all, except for maybe the fact they are more likely to leave after a year.

I’m way more concerned with how Otz can make these recruits look.
Having four and five star talent doesn’t guarantee any level of big success. And that they leave early kills you.

But it does keep people interested (also can backfire because it leads to underachieving and and pissed off fans). And it does give you at least a fighting chance against better teams (we won many big time games), but it doesn’t stop you from dropping some to scrubs either (had several of those). Those types of wins do instill hope in a fanbase, too. Again, heightened expectations can kill though.

In the end though, I’d still rather have a few 3’s, several 4’s and a couple of 5’s. Over a bunch of threes. When Kruger was had some success here, he had threes. But he had a 5 and he had several transfers with experience. It surely wasn’t straight threes.

Coach Otz is checking the boxes - he's doing hat everyone has been asking for: better games and local recruits. We all hope it results in success. I can't wait to see some fire during a game from the coaching staff again!

Personally, I like Coach Otz's approach. Build a solid base with decent local recruits and then supplement with a 4-5 star player or two once the base is established (probably a year or two down the road). This is more like Kruger's approach. Not like the quick-fix Rice approach. We've waited a long-time, might as well do it the right way for once!

Personally, I like Coach Otz's approach. Build a solid base with decent local recruits and then supplement with a 4-5 star player or two once the base is established (probably a year or two down the road). This is more like Kruger's approach. Not like the quick-fix Rice approach. We've waited a long-time, might as well do it the right way for once!
It’s only the right way if it works. It’s not necessarily the right way automatically because of design. If there was one design that works, everyone would try to follow it. Hell, UNR had two pretty successful years with the nearly polar opposite approach.

It’s only the right way if it works. It’s not necessarily the right way automatically because of design. If there was one design that works, everyone would try to follow it. Hell, UNR had two pretty successful years with the nearly polar opposite approach.

Your UNR example is my point. Two good years and where are they going to be this year? I think Alford will get UNR turned around but again it will take a few years for him to build a solid base.

I think one has to be in a Big Five Conference nowadays to be able to recruit those special 5-stars that will make a great Freshman team (and that is only a few of those teams). I don't think UNLV can play this game in the modern era.

Im guessing and hoping that my guess is right, but I believe Otz has a plan. He is not getting 4 or 5 stars this year, but maybe he is meshing the three star recruits in with a pretty good core in Hardy (who believe was a 4 star recruit) 2 years left. Mback who is a good work in progress and I believe will have a strong year in his 3rd year. Jenkins i believe was not a high star, but right now his transfer is equivalent to a 4 star. Hopefully next year they land that 5 star. Im feeling pretty good so far, of course watching them play is a whole new subject. Maybe some how we end up with Tillman then i would be feeling pretty damn good with the roster.
Side note: Im also interested to see how Nick Blair does this year from his good suprise play from last year.

Your UNR example is my point. Two good years and where are they going to be this year? I think Alford will get UNR turned around but again it will take a few years for him to build a solid base.

I think one has to be in a Big Five Conference nowadays to be able to recruit those special 5-stars that will make a great Freshman team (and that is only a few of those teams). I don't think UNLV can play this game in the modern era.
Had Muss stayed? Who knows? A drop but still near the top and an NCAA team. So his way was certainly working, you could see it over his multiple years. What I don’t like about it is that the turnover is too high and they become less personable to the fanbase, less recognizable. I enjoy that aspect of it. But in terms of effectiveness, his way certainly worked. Kruger has been our most successful post Tark and Muss did more than Kruger did at UNLV, so it’s hard to criticize UNR as doing it the wrong way. Muss had high rankings, high seedlings, post season advancement, winning conference and conference tournaments. At UNLV, Kruger had post season advancement and winning the conference tournament.

It seems more and more young men are receiving offers from Coach Otz just recently. Would be funny if more of them want to come then he has available. Like an airline overbooking seats and someone gets bumped. Looks like all 3 Star players but Pat McCaw was a 3 Star who worked out just fine.
We’re in trouble if we start to think every 3 star will be like Patty MAC.

4 star or bust...

Memphis - out of the American Athletic Conf - says "hello". They had the #1 recruiting class in '19, with the #1 and #14 players, plus five 4-star players.

That is an anomaly though. As are Gonzaga and Creighton, two private schools with huge budgets, little entertainment competition in their markets, and no dysfunctional board of regents of entry-level wannabe politicians trying to upstage them.

Reactions: j. spilotro
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT