ADVERTISEMENT

Randall Cunningham joins the Track & Field Team as an Assistant Coach

Those Cunninghams (Randall, his brothers, Randall’s) are freak athletes. I’d love to see him with the football program but I love that he’s back with UNLV.

He’s the reason I’m a proud Eagles fans.
I believe Randall will be involved with UNLV football on some level this offseason.

Today has the potential to be a great day for you w/ UNLV and Eagles wins.

I believe Randall will be involved with UNLV football on some level this offseason.

Today has the potential to be a great day for you w/ UNLV and Eagles wins.

Gonna be a bad repeat this Thanksgiving. Bet the house on Dallas!!

It’s not gonna end well, I’ll put money on it. While I was coaching high school track his kids were competing at Gorman and he was so difficult to deal with, wouldn’t let the head coach put his kids, mainly his daughter in other events except the high jump, it pissed the Gorman head coach off to no end, but he had to deal with it. Then when he was coaching at Silverado my friend was the AD there and said he was a nightmare to deal with also.
So now he is an assistant coach to a first time head coach for track, he is gonna run all over this new head coach. Guess, we’ll see how it goes.

I mean, If my daughter was good enough to qualify for Olympics in 1 sport, I wouldn't want to have her risk training for other sports just because she's a great athlete and there's a need on the team.

It’s not gonna end well, I’ll put money on it. While I was coaching high school track his kids were competing at Gorman and he was so difficult to deal with, wouldn’t let the head coach put his kids, mainly his daughter in other events except the high jump, it pissed the Gorman head coach off to no end, but he had to deal with it. Then when he was coaching at Silverado my friend was the AD there and said he was a nightmare to deal with also.
So now he is an assistant coach to a first time head coach for track, he is gonna run all over this new head coach. Guess, we’ll see how it goes.
I'd like to see how this ends up. I had no idea about this situation but your comment tells a lot.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Yeah. His daughter should have been competing in one sport. I’d be pissed too.

I mean, If my daughter was good enough to qualify for Olympics in 1 sport, I wouldn't want to have her risk training for other sports just because she's a great athlete and there's a need on the team.
He wouldn’t even let her run on any relays races, etc. as a high jumper you still need to do sprint work, so why not let her run those couple races, wasn’t gonna hurt her. The point was he was t even on the coaching staff, but still forced the coaches to do it his way, that’s ridiculous. You’re ok with parents running the show??

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
He wouldn’t even let her run on any relays races, etc. as a high jumper you still need to do sprint work, so why not let her run those couple races, wasn’t gonna hurt her. The point was he was t even on the coaching staff, but still forced the coaches to do it his way, that’s ridiculous. You’re ok with parents running the show??
To be fair, parents and adults always run the show in high school sports in Las Vegas.

Reactions: Masked_rebel
Yup

As someone who tore his hamstring in A sprint drill….yea when you have Olympics in your mind you don’t risk it by competing in HS sprints.

If I had an Olympic soccer or volleyball player with the Olympics in their future and I was playing them out of position, their parents should be angry.

When I was the head track coach, parents didn’t tell me what their kids were running or not running. Yeah, they had their opinions on what their kids should run, but they didn’t get any say in it.
Yeah. Parents make officiating football difficult. Never thought I’d get death threats over 7 and 8 year old tackle football, but its happened twice now. Some of the things you hear kind of make you lose faith in humanity.

Yeah. Parents make officiating football difficult. Never thought I’d get death threats over 7 and 8 year old tackle football, but its happened twice now. Some of the things you hear kind of make you lose faith in humanity.
When I was a kid, the parents were brutal with youth sports. When I coached, they were the same way. Ironically, one kid I coached, his dad played for the Rebels under Tark … and he was the best parent of all of them because he allowed his kid to be coached and wanted his kid coached roughly (because the kid did have a chance at a future in athletics, which he went on to accomplish).

Thing is, EVERYBODY should be on the same page to maximize outcomes.

Reactions: RebelinWA
It’s the parents who have no clue who are the worst in little league!
The parents who live vicariously through their child or like the child is their future meal ticket made it impossible for me to continue coaching little league football. I tried refereeing little league and couldn’t do that long either due to parents coming right up to the edge of the line of causing me to forget who I am and act outside of my character in front of the women and children!

That’s the toughest part. They aren’t watching the game. They are watching their kid. I had a mom screaming at me because she didn’t know what a safety was. “You’re cheating!!! You’re just going to GIVE them points?!”

At least when I officiate at the high school levels; parents know a little bit more, and they let their coach do their job. Yeah, on occasion they will yell that I missed a hold or something. But they usually be quiet when I ask them which category of holding it was that I missed. No parent or coach has been able to tell me the category.

Reactions: rebel5280
Yeah. His daughter should have been competing in one sport. I’d be pissed too.
Agreed. A low level high school coach needs to keep his ego down and stay out of the business of a world class track star and a high level coach who put his kids at the top of there game (Cunningham). I found the same issue when my son went from a club track team to a magnet school at Rancho and the coach there was such a third rate coach that my son walked away from track when he came in as one of the top athletes in the Southern Nevada/Southern Cal district for Junior Olympics!

• Haha
Reactions: rickyb55
When it comes to track and field, again, why risk the injury for running an event that's not your goal. I understand they need to run sprints as part of training, but if she gets hurt sprinting for the high jump, that's part of a regular possibility. If she gets hurt running a 200m because the Coach wanted her to, that's not.

As for parents running the show- since track and field is an individual sport as well as a team sport, Im fine with the parent deciding with the child that they want to focus on only 1 event and make it clear to the coach that they either accept that or their child plays somewhere else. Just because they are a superior athlete doesn't mean they need to be forced into doing something they don't want to. Also I'm ok with the coach dismissing the the player from the team because of a parents behavior or demands, its a 2 way street.

Reactions: dcut03
When it comes to track and field, again, why risk the injury for running an event that's not your goal. I understand they need to run sprints as part of training, but if she gets hurt sprinting for the high jump, that's part of a regular possibility. If she gets hurt running a 200m because the Coach wanted her to, that's not.

As for parents running the show- since track and field is an individual sport as well as a team sport, Im fine with the parent deciding with the child that they want to focus on only 1 event and make it clear to the coach that they either accept that or their child plays somewhere else. Just because they are a superior athlete doesn't mean they need to be forced into doing something they don't want to. Also I'm ok with the coach dismissing the the player from the team because of a parents behavior or demands, its a 2 way street.
You make very good points here that I hadnt thought of yet. Good debate.

With the exception of a couple of track club coaches who also work with the high school kids, most of the track coaches at the local high schools are totally useless.

The coach is an employee that works for the tax payers. How about fire the coach instead.
Because the coach doesn’t bow down and kiss your ass or your child, you want them fired lol. You’re one of the reasons I don’t like coaching anymore, even after winning three team state championships and two coach of year awards, selfish parents/kids are ridiculous.

Thats fine. I have no horse in this race, but you sound like youre trying to debate/come at me lmao.
I am in no way going after you at all. I just had a really bad history with some of the useless high school track coaches (Rancho being at the top of that list). The three top mid distance sprinters from the club teams (just like club soccer, these kids are far more invested than high school only track) in the state all were pushed out of track due to inept high school coaches. Cunningham was considered a good coach by the club track teams working with the Nevada Gazelles Track Club. An example of the level of the club teams, at the same time 3 of the members of the USC track team all came out of the same track club my son ran for.

I look forward to how much of a positive impact he will have on jumpers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT