ADVERTISEMENT

Question for Rebel Fans

reblife702

Starter
Jun 8, 2024
In our short time on X it has looked like there are quite a lot of disagreements in the community on sports topics and takes, but some of the exchanges seem very personal? We are not insiders there nor are we a hundred percent tuned into the basketball side of things. It seems like a lot of personal shots come out and arguments begin when basketball is discussed. We saw a discussion about Coach Odom getting a statue here in the future and some people freaked out. Can anyone break it down?

In our short time on X it has looked like there are quite a lot of disagreements in the community on sports topics and takes, but some of the exchanges seem very personal? We are not insiders there nor are we a hundred percent tuned into the basketball side of things. It seems like a lot of personal shots come out and arguments begin when basketball is discussed. We saw a discussion about Coach Odom getting a statue here in the future and some people freaked out. Can anyone break it down?
I haven't seen any statue conversation other than in jest. I also have not looked for any... but my thoughts.

If Odom is out after 2 years of success, obviously any conversation of a statue is moot in my opinion. For Tark, it took 20+ years after he was removed from the school of having 20 years of sustained success and 8-10 years of top tier success, and a few years of unmatched national prominence.

To me, statues have to come with time. 2-3 years sustained success in fb at a school like UNLV should get notoriety. To be honest, it would have to be like 10 years of never being below 7-8 wins, and multiple years of 10+ wins in that window, nationally ranked, and something that he commits to long term. 5 years, even if there is a national top 25 ranking, probably doesn't do it, unless they get into the playoff. Then conversation comes.

I haven't thought this out much. But it has to be high achievement over a period of time.

I haven’t seen what you are talking about. But, while it may change, it would a long while - the basketball success was at the highest level and it was sustained over time. That made Tark a legend. Period.

It’s almost sacrilege to suggest anybody else getting a statue. So I could see people getting defensive.

Reactions: LocoRebel
I haven't seen any statue conversation other than in jest. I also have not looked for any... but my thoughts.

If Odom is out after 2 years of success, obviously any conversation of a statue is moot in my opinion. For Tark, it took 20+ years after he was removed from the school of having 20 years of sustained success and 8-10 years of top tier success, and a few years of unmatched national prominence.

To me, statues have to come with time. 2-3 years sustained success in fb at a school like UNLV should get notoriety. To be honest, it would have to be like 10 years of never being below 7-8 wins, and multiple years of 10+ wins in that window, nationally ranked, and something that he commits to long term. 5 years, even if there is a national top 25 ranking, probably doesn't do it, unless they get into the playoff. Then conversation comes.

I haven't thought this out much. But it has to be high achievement over a period of time.
You haven't thought about it much because there's nothing to think about on this topic for another ten years and, let's be honest, probably not even then. Barry "Red Moon" Odom will have risen somewhere else by then.

You haven't thought about it much because there's nothing to think about on this topic for another ten years and, let's be honest, probably not even then. Barry "Red Moon" Odom will have risen somewhere else by then.
I get the idea of talking about it. Right now the idea is a bit absurd. We have had one extremely promising season. It was an easy schedule, but we did better in one year than we have seen in 20, arguably 30 years.

Odom could have a similar impact than Tark, and arguably maybe even a bigger impact, but it will take a lot of things to go right for that to happen, with the biggest obstacle is him not leaving for greener pastures.

But if Odom sticks around. We are a regular MW contender for the conference championship and a regular bowl participant. If that success somehow gets the community all in and an invite into the P4, then that could arguable the most significant coaching tenure at least since Tark.

But after one season? Nonsense. But that's what fans like to do. Think about the possibilities.

And we do have reasons to be hopeful. Really good first season, starting to crush the rest of the league with recruiting, and even keeping up with some good power teams? That is crazy in itself.

I knew the program was bad, I didn't know we were build a statue after one bowl appearance bad.

I would pump the brakes on the statue talk myself. Let's make back to back bowl games, see how long he stays here and what the long term success is. If he gets us good enough that we get a Big 12 invite then hell we can build a status and name the airport after him instead of that crook Reid. But we are a ways from that.

I knew the program was bad, I didn't know we were build a statue after one bowl appearance bad.

I would pump the brakes on the statue talk myself. Let's make back to back bowl games, see how long he stays here and what the long term success is. If he gets us good enough that we get a Big 12 invite then hell we can build a status and name the airport after him instead of that crook Reid. But we are a ways from that.
If Odom gets us into the Big 12, or long term recognition so great we genuinely supercede conference affiliation, the we get the man a statue

I know who youre talking about, and I know he likes to drive alot of conversation from a self appointed Pedestal to alot of Rebel fans who werent around during the "good ole day"...

That said, I dont think you build a statue just because he's done something other coaches here havent.. I mean it took Tark how many years to get a statue built and he won a freaking national championship. So if thats the bar youve set, you cant lower it for winning or even qualifying for the CFP.. Not to mention, where would you put the statue, in front of the practice facility? Cant do it at the stadium.. but besides that, theres a bar for building statues. just simply winning games unless its for like 30 years wouldnt meet that bar.

I know who youre talking about, and I know he likes to drive alot of conversation from a self appointed Pedestal to alot of Rebel fans who werent around during the "good ole day"...

That said, I dont think you build a statue just because he's done something other coaches here havent.. I mean it took Tark how many years to get a statue built and he won a freaking national championship. So if thats the bar youve set, you cant lower it for winning or even qualifying for the CFP.. Not to mention, where would you put the statue, in front of the practice facility? Cant do it at the stadium.. but besides that, theres a bar for building statues. just simply winning games unless its for like 30 years wouldnt meet that bar.
I don't know if it is fair to set the bar for a statue, or any other memorial, from Tark.

Remember Tark had his Jersey retired, then a court named after him, then a statue.

I agree Odom needs to be a long termer to get something put up in his name. But I don't think a Natty is necessarily the bar, especially where it is nearly impossible for football unless you are an ELITE POWER school.

Not to mention, where would you put the statue, in front of the practice facility? Cant do it at the stadium..
Does the exterior access point at Wildcat Park still exist with the new building? Or did that get eaten up with the FFC? But ya know, in 20 years when it's statue time, might be another good spot somewhere for it!

Agree with everything else. Sustained top-tier success is the only time the statue conversation should be really going. Love what Odom did in year one, but we aren't at statue yet.

I don't know if it is fair to set the bar for a statue, or any other memorial, from Tark.

Remember Tark had his Jersey retired, then a court named after him, then a statue.

I agree Odom needs to be a long termer to get something put up in his name. But I don't think a Natty is necessarily the bar, especially where it is nearly impossible for football unless you are an ELITE POWER school.
For consideration.... in like 8-10 years, UNLV will be playing for a different national championship than SEC and Big 10 teams anyway.

I think I like Barry Odom Field at Allegiant Stadium

How could you forget...?

Tark Way

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT