ADVERTISEMENT

Premature?

When CTS really succeeds here (notice no "if") it will take a p5 invite for UNLV to have a chance at keeping him. The good news is that UNLV was sooo down when he took over that any job above a middle to lower tier P5 school would take a miracle to happen from UNLV. It would take New Year's 6 bowl or better, which would take years to build to.

However, stadium is years away from completion. P5 invite is probably several years away too. A lower to middle tier P5 school could easily come calling before an invite comes our way. Would he turn down millions just because he may get a chance to get the same with a possible future invite?

Probably not, unless we find some boosters that would help increase his salary.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
When CTS really succeeds here (notice no "if") it will take a p5 invite for UNLV to have a chance at keeping him. The good news is that UNLV was sooo down when he took over that any job above a middle to lower tier P5 school would take a miracle to happen from UNLV. It would take New Year's 6 bowl or better, which would take years to build to.

However, stadium is years away from completion. P5 invite is probably several years away too. A lower to middle tier P5 school could easily come calling before an invite comes our way. Would he turn down millions just because he may get a chance to get the same with a possible future invite?

Probably not, unless we find some boosters that would help increase his salary.
I don't think he leaves for a lower to middle tier P5 job. Every time he's left a job, it's always been a major upgrade.

I would say they will no longer be upgrades from UNLV with the new training facilities, new stadium (Raiders or not), and the improved recruiting. I would expect within the next 1-2 season UNLV will be in or just miss making the conference title game.

So you are telling me that those schools are not a major upgrade from UNLV?
No. Absolutely not. So what if they're in P5 conferences? There is a bigger gap between the best and worst team in each P5 conference than there is between the best and worst team in the MW. Why would he want to go to a bottom dweller?

Money and lots of it
Maybe but the stability isn't there. Purdue fired their HC after 3+ seasons. That's the same Purdue who you think of when the term "rich history in football" is thrown out.

Here, he could stay for as long as he wants as long as TKM is giving out extensions. (I know, cheap joke)

Maybe but the stability isn't there. Purdue fired their HC after 3+ seasons. That's the same Purdue who you think of when the term "rich history in football" is thrown out.

Here, he could stay for as long as he wants as long as TKM is giving out extensions. (I know, cheap joke)
Isn't the goal of every head coach is to win a National Title? That is not going to happen here.

Yeah but 3m a year for four years or so would take him almost twenty years at his current salary. Even with substantial raises here we can't catch up.

Isn't the goal of every head coach is to win a National Title? That is not going to happen here.
Nor would it happen at Purdue, Rutgers, etc.

Sanchez is two years removed from high school. While I believe in him and think he'll leave a very positive mark on our program he's still years away from being considered for P5 jobs in my opinion.

Reactions: mwsn7022012
Keeping Sanchez depends on several different things:

1) If they can get into a P5 that will obviously keep him at UNLV

2) Las Vegas has shown through all of the academic and athletic donations that they have money and will donate if they see progress. If UNLV football become a top 25 level team like BSU the money is available to keep Sanchez around. A few program may be able to buy him away, but that depends on if he wants to go.

3) Does he want to finish his project and get UNLV to a P5 or at least to the same level as Houston and BSU?

4) Does he want to stay until his kids finish school?

5) How deep are the pockets of the boosters in LV?

Keeping Sanchez depends on several different things:

1) If they can get into a P5 that will obviously keep him at UNLV

2) Las Vegas has shown through all of the academic and athletic donations that they have money and will donate if they see progress. If UNLV football become a top 25 level team like BSU the money is available to keep Sanchez around. A few program may be able to buy him away, but that depends on if he wants to go.

3) Does he want to finish his project and get UNLV to a P5 or at least to the same level as Houston and BSU?

4) Does he want to stay until his kids finish school?

5) How deep are the pockets of the boosters in LV?

My point is the timing of everything. It does help that CTS is only 2 years from High School. That buys us some more time just to let coach prove himself more.

That being said, timing does play a factor. Say we somehow go to a bowl game this year. And then follow up with more wins and a better bowl game next year. That in itself will turn some heads. Expansion will be several years away. If Big 12 is saying no now, PAC also will cool on the idea to expand.

Say UNLV gets to the point where SDSU is now. That is the best comparison IMO. Not a great history for the football program. Recent success for a couple of years. CTS would be a pretty hot candidate. UNLV would have a little more money to deal with at that point, since a successful football team should generate some more revenue. Still UNLV would not be able to match any P5 school's offer or even a different group of 5 team with more money and/or tradition.

CTS had rich friends that helped him land the UNLV job. But do they care if he sticks around? Was their intention of getting CTS the UNLV job or just any FBS job. They are more invested now obviously, especially with the Fertitta complex, but they are nearly as invested as their cousin Tillman Fertitta is here in Houston for UH. Wasn't it mention that the Vegas Fertittas already have donated more to other school than UNLV? UCLA maybe (I really don't remember).

UNLV is a stepping stone. And CTS is more than 1 step away from a top college job. Now UNLV could possibly become a second step in itself if they get an invite and more money. I just think that it could possibly take to long for that to happen before CTS wants to take that next step.

I don't think Sanchez will leave for better waters, at least within the next 5 years. He had offers to go to other schools (though mostly as coordinators). I think Sanchez will stick around long enough to establish a dynasty and will at the very least leave us in a position for continued success (like he did at BGHS). If/ when an nfl team makes Vegas home, and they come knocking at his door (for a coordinator position), I think that is when he departs.

Find? They're already found. They "got him" the job.
Sure they did. But how much are they interesting in UNLV vs coach Sanchez himself. They seem to be more Sanchez supporters over UNLV supporters. They may think it would be in his best interest to take another job. Unless they like him and prefer to have him close.

They've donated 10 mil. Which is huge, but they didn't want to donate the full amount for the training complex. Would they pony up indefinitely to offer him a competitive salary? Maybe, maybe not.

I think they will. If the Raiders decide not come here I think we'll see what the Fertittas are willing to do for UNLV.

$10 million from one donor for UNLV football shows that the money is out there. It doesn't matter if they give the money for UNLV or for Sanchez, as long as they are willing to help keep him at UNLV.

I think Sanchez likes building a program. I think UNLV is a project that he's turning into his baby, and making strides on the field, and getting elite facilities with the stadium and the Fertitta Complex has go to be rewarding for him to see the fruits of his labor. He seems like the type of guy that would prefer to take a junker and cherry it out into a sweet ride as opposed to just getting the fancy car from the start.

Sanchez likes living in Las Vegas--and is turning it into his advantage when it comes to recruiting to a exciting place. I don't think a school in a sleepy little college town is going to lure him away---especially with the stadium and the Fertitta Complex---only upper-tier P5 schools are going to have better facilities than us. I just don't see him running to Morgantown to coach for West Virginia or West Lafayette, to coach for Purdue.

That just leaves schools like USC, UCLA, Texas, TCU, etc who have the status, the attractive local city, facilities, and the money. IF and its a huge IF UNLV can maintain a competitive salary outside one of the big schools offering him a king's ransom---I think there's a alot of schools Sanchez would say no to if he got the call.

That's how I feel also. Sanchez genuinely loves Las Vegas and what it offers. The city itself appeals to him. If UNLV pays the dollars to keep him--and they WILL have to pay to keep him--then I don't see why he would leave his current situation. Too many exciting developments are happening in Vegas, too many opportunities to grow a program, and the potential to turn UNLV into a "top college job" is the vision Sanchez has. But, no question UNLV will need to invest and pay up to keep him long term.

Great thing about Sanchez is he'll look to find and potentially develop a replacement. Regardless, he is setting the bar and should that day come, I think we have a better understanding of what kind of coach we want.

Great thing about Sanchez is he'll look to find and potentially develop a replacement. Regardless, he is setting the bar and should that day come, I think we have a better understanding of what kind of coach we want.
I wish you guys just stop. Big fish in a small pond mentality. Let's see if he can put a couple of winning seasons in a row first before this talks begin. Give me a break. With the Raiders coming and UNLV on the rise, it would be silly for TS to go be an assistant. Gary Patterson didnt bail on TCU. Whatever the Utah coach name, he didnt bail...Comfort have a larger role than a few bucks.

Hey I get it when we have a coach for basketball and we are worried about being poached from another school.

But this is FOOTBALL.

The only way Sanchez stays (if he actually turns this thing around) is with MONEY, Money that is very difficult to raise.

His Fertitta buddies would almost certainly have to pony up, but as I have said before, they may think it would be a better career move to go to another school where he is more likely to succeed and they don't have to pony up millions of their own money.

Sure CTS loves Las Vegas, and is taking ownership of this program. But anyone thinking that it would have to be a top 5 college job for him to leave is in La La land.

Any middle (or even lower) level P5 job, or upper level group of 5 job would probably be able to get him.

Any P5 invite will be a long ways away. If ever.

The Big 12, who are pretty desperate, just had an open invitation to every non P5 school out there. They listened to everyone, and decided to stay put with 10.

If CTS gets to 2 bowls games in the next 3 years, he'll probably be a hot commodity, and UNLV will have to struggle to raise enough money to keep him.

If it takes him longer, then he may not be such a commodity.

I wish you guys just stop. Big fish in a small pond mentality. Let's see if he can put a couple of winning seasons in a row first before this talks begin. Give me a break. With the Raiders coming and UNLV on the rise, it would be silly for TS to go be an assistant. Gary Patterson didnt bail on TCU. Whatever the Utah coach name, he didnt bail...Comfort have a larger role than a few bucks.
I wish you'd stop. I never said he was leaving. Quote honestly I'm confident the right donor will step up and pay him more to keep him once UNLV touches some success and the deeper pocket schools come a calling.

I'm enjoying the positivity, excitement and progress CTS. Got to have success first before we need to start working about him leaving. But your head is in the sand if you can't see CTS natural characteristics as a motivator and leader of young men.

Four years from now UNLV will have the coolest stadium in the country, and will already have won a MWC Championship, and will have a new $25 million Fertitta Football Complex on campus, and will be recruiting on a whole new level. Let's not confuse the future state of UNLV football to the desolate past. Coach Sanchez is the visionary guy driving this bus. It won't go unnoticed by other universities and at some point UNLV will need to up the ante to keep him here.

The NFL approving the move is by no means a done deal or will be an easy sell.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/20...l-owners-block-raiders-move-to-vegas/as0w4mg/

This article brings up some valid points. Once the NFL does investigation into the LV market, I have a feeling that there will be serious issues. If San Diego does not get the funding for a new Stadium, The Raiders back to LA does seem to be a logical move.

It helps that some of the more influential owners seem to be for the move the LV right now.

Even if everything is passed. It will be several years before we actually get to play in that stadium. The NFL wont even approve the move until next Winter at the earliest.

I hope everything goes through, I hope Sanchez stays, but I'm trying to not let the homer in me cloud the evidence that either will absolutely happen.

The NFL approving the move is by no means a done deal or will be an easy sell.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/20...l-owners-block-raiders-move-to-vegas/as0w4mg/

This article brings up some valid points. Once the NFL does investigation into the LV market, I have a feeling that there will be serious issues. If San Diego does not get the funding for a new Stadium, The Raiders back to LA does seem to be a logical move.

It helps that some of the more influential owners seem to be for the move the LV right now.

Even if everything is passed. It will be several years before we actually get to play in that stadium. The NFL wont even approve the move until next Winter at the earliest.

I hope everything goes through, I hope Sanchez stays, but I'm trying to not let the homer in me cloud the evidence that either will absolutely happen.
Too much money, too many moving pieces, too many powerful influences and interests for anybody to be certain one way or the other. It's like picking a game against the spread - you can analyze the hell out of it from every angle but there is no absolute certainty.

Still, without impeccably recalling the details and the timeframe I was given, in a general sense, things are moving as I was told they'd move. Of course that doesn't make it a slam dunk. But that it's moving forward this well isn't all that surprising. Many thought it was dead in the water like the numerous other attempts at getting a stadium.. I didn't think that, not this time, not based on the info I had at hand. But I'm about as confident as I probably could be at this point that it will end up happening.

The bottom line is that even if against the odds (currently odds are 70% NFL will approve LV), we still have the out for a +$500 million on campus stadium with what I believe is $300 million from the room tax as long as UNLV can come up with another $200 million.

This stadium would be light years ahead of the new $200 million CSU stadium and any other stadium currently in the MWC. That tied in with the new training facilities should be a huge boost for UNLV in recruiting even if for some reason the Raiders end up not coming to LV.

As for the fact the stadium will not be completed until the 2020 season, that is really not that far away considering the next recruiting class is for the 2017 class in the Spring. Those recruits will most like red-shirt the first season and not even play until 2018 which would give them two seasons playing in the new stadium.

The bottom line is that even if against the odds (currently odds are 70% NFL will approve LV), we still have the out for a +$500 million on campus stadium with what I believe is $300 million from the room tax as long as UNLV can come up with another $200 million.

This stadium would be light years ahead of the new $200 million CSU stadium and any other stadium currently in the MWC. That tied in with the new training facilities should be a huge boost for UNLV in recruiting even if for some reason the Raiders end up not coming to LV.

As for the fact the stadium will not be completed until the 2020 season, that is really not that far away considering the next recruiting class is for the 2017 class in the Spring. Those recruits will most like red-shirt the first season and not even play until 2018 which would give them two seasons playing in the new stadium.

They wouldn't start building a UNLV stadium until it is fully funded on UNLV's end. I would have a hard time seeing UNLV pull in 200m. UNLV still hasn't fully funded the practice facility

They would only half two years to find the funding, and considering they have received several hundred million spread over numerous other programs in the last two years (medical school, business school, hotel school, etc.), I expect they would find a way even if it included Sanchez out on the street with a tin can!

The CSU game says, Sanchez got a ways to go and ain't going anywhere anytime soon!

People claiming how great this coach is and are already coming up with ideas on getting him to stay. Lmfao GLORIFIED high school coach
The only jumping ship Sanchez will be doing is jumping back to gorman where he belongs. You people slay me ha

Reactions: Catmstr
Maybe the guy ought to build a winner here first? I like Sanchez and i think ultimately he's the guy for the job, but he still has a ways to go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT