ADVERTISEMENT

Portal player rankings. Look at #20

Well some team will find out he is real good versus lower competition but fades away and becomes a liability when he has to play stronger teams. Good luck to him wherever he lands.

What is NIL value?!
2 digits higher than we can afford.

Come on fans, make it happen! Part with your hard earned money so we have a chance. UNLV has given you so much over the past 10 years. It’s only fair for you to place your tithing in the coffers so we can break into the top 4 of conference.

2 digits higher than we can afford.

Come on fans, make it happen! Part with your hard earned money so we have a chance. UNLV has given you so much over the past 10 years. It’s only fair for you to place your tithing in the coffers so we can break into the top 4 of conference.
I don't know squat about how to donate to NIL. I've heard about the friendsofUNILV is that how you do it?

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Guys, I would take some of the transfer rankings of players with a grain of salt and would not give it much weight, if any, to them. For example, a few years back ESPN ranked Shakur Juiston as the no. 3 immediate eligibility transfers in the country. Similarly, for sit out transfers David Jenkins was rated no. 3. I like SJ, but no way was he the no. 3 immediate eligibility transfers in the country. Further, rating Jenkins that high was way way way... off. I actually feel we could come up with a better list!

Link: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...ketball-transfer-rankings-2019-20-2020-21#Sit

I think everyone here severely underestimates our own players
Definitely underestimating our players. That is why we are top three in the conference and making the tourney or at least being a bubble team.
Oh wait finishing bottom half and only one lucky play from being 10th in the conference and not even being considered for any type of post season play.
You are right we have a bunch of all stars and should have come up with big NIL's to make sure everybody stayed so we can have another year of great success like we have the past few years.
Sorry my mistake for thinking we need an upgrade to make the team more competitive.
Nowell, Cottrell, and Rod are the three players I thought we had to keep and we did. Then Webster and Hall for their offense we kept one and lost the other. The rest of the players we need an upgrade or there will be no improvement. Gets frustrating watching a team that should be dominating the MWC continually be a mid to bottom of the MWC.
For those that mediocre is fine we'll good for you. For me watching the Rebels through the late 70's and 80's-91, mediocrity doesn't work.
I am not expecting a national power house at this point but I do expect to at least be competitive.

Definitely underestimating our players. That is why we are top three in the conference and making the tourney or at least being a bubble team.
Oh wait finishing bottom half and only one lucky play from being 10th in the conference and not even being considered for any type of post season play.
You are right we have a bunch of all stars and should have come up with big NIL's to make sure everybody stayed so we can have another year of great success like we have the past few years.
Sorry my mistake for thinking we need an upgrade to make the team more competitive.
Nowell, Cottrell, and Rod are the three players I thought we had to keep and we did. Then Webster and Hall for their offense we kept one and lost the other. The rest of the players we need an upgrade or there will be no improvement. Gets frustrating watching a team that should be dominating the MWC continually be a mid to bottom of the MWC.
For those that mediocre is fine we'll good for you. For me watching the Rebels through the late 70's and 80's-91, mediocrity doesn't work.
I am not expecting a national power house at this point but I do expect to at least be competitive.
Oof. I will pull my punch because I get the feeling that this would be a debate with a brick wall.

Outside of our 2 big guys, I look at the tourney teams and I do not think our talent was so much behind other teams. Our approach was way worse. I think people see highlights of Gilbert and Hall and rate them as pretty good. The #20 ranking of Gilbert would be some proof of that.

I look at our team and think that most of our rotation guys could play on any tournament team. Maybe aside from Muoka. I think Gilbert is a player that every team wants and needs. He’s not perfect. I just think in our case we can’t rely on guys like him. You have the right pieces and it changes everything for how valuable a player can be. JTT was a fantastic example of that. He was by no means incredible but there was massive value in him and Baylor saw that. I will agree with those who think we need more talent. We don’t have all stars, that’s very true. Losing gilbert hurts more than I think we realize right now. He’s only a sophomore.

Reactions: the Florian Trout
If it wasnt the players than one would deduce it was the Coach but we should definitely then expect a different outcome with the same situation this next year?

I could be wrong but JTT is a terrible example to use. I don't think many of us wanted him to leave or undervalued him.. he had a role here for sure but I was pretty down he didn't stay with the coaching change. I think the only guy that really has excelled recently since leaving UNLV and was "undervalued" might've been Grille simply because here he didn't really meet the hype, and while getting the boot at end of last season at ISU, had 2 pretty good years defensively and offensively for them, that was sorely needed here...

If it wasnt the players than one would deduce it was the Coach but we should definitely then expect a different outcome with the same situation this next year?
If coach does not change the offense or defense I would think more of the same results. That said, he has to realize this last season was a downer and he should know he has to change things up.

If coach does not change the offense or defense I would think more of the same results. That said, he has to realize this last season was a downer and he should know he has to change things up.
If we keep doing the same things, we are going to have similar results. He needs his coming to Jesus moment, he needs an epiphany … needs to figure it out quickly ….

When I look at this list and is shows the player, their current school, and then the new school with the % of how sure they may be going to that school (some of them have 2 schools listed as possibilities or no school yet). UNLV is not on anybody's list as a possible landing spot. C'mon UNLV coaches. Let's get some of those guys!
I don't see any MWC school listed on the first page of 50 portal entries. You have to go down to 159th to see a MWC recruit and it's a kid from UC San Diego going to Boise. IMO, our recruits will most likely be in the 200+ range.

If we keep doing the same things, we are going to have similar results. He needs his coming to Jesus moment, he needs an epiphany … needs to figure it out quickly ….
How stubborn can one guy be!? It shouldn’t be hard to change things up. Just do the exact opposite of what has been done in recruiting and game strategy.

How stubborn can one guy be!? It shouldn’t be hard to change things up. Just do the exact opposite of what has been done in recruiting and game strategy.
Usually there's an over correction that happens so I fully expect the transfers coming in to be heavy on bigs... and the market for "good" bigs isn't great for a team like us..

Does anyone really believe things will be different next year?!! Recruiting looks nonexistent and we need 4-5 better than average players just to compete, let alone get the post season. It’s NCAA or NIT at worst!
Well, if you ask the "Give him more time crowd" they tell you Cotrell will average 18/12 a game, Webster will score 15ppg, Nowell at 16ppg, Hicks will be a 18ppg shooter as a freshman, and Whaley will be a double double machine...

But reality, unless we get 2 impact transfers that can score on their own, and 2-3 solid role players, especially inside, we're going to be worse

Reactions: mwsn7022012
Does anyone really believe things will be different next year?!! Recruiting looks nonexistent and we need 4-5 better than average players just to compete, let alone get the post season. It’s NCAA or NIT at worst!
I can only think the AD believes things will be different.

Reading alot on the players in the portal and I have yet to see any transfers that would make any kind of a difference list UNLV as a finalist. I really hope we have a couple surprise commitments but for now looks like we will be more on the level of high point than we will be any team in the mwc. I know Kevin is trying and offering allot of very good players but just not looking like there is much of any interest at this point.

Reading alot on the players in the portal and I have yet to see any transfers that would make any kind of a difference list UNLV as a finalist. I really hope we have a couple surprise commitments but for now looks like we will be more on the level of high point than we will be any team in the mwc. I know Kevin is trying and offering allot of very good players but just not looking like there is much of any interest at this point.
Honestly getting guys who might not scream impact transfer but are hard working players settling for UNLV might actually work out better than promising the higher tier transfers playing time. I do think there might also be certain names(locals) who could very well be taking alot of the air in the transfer room so to speak, and that's why there's both a wide net, but also not alot of early movement to fill glaring holes.

It's really hard to predict anything. We need a point/better yet two. No team is successful without at least a decent ball handler and distributor. We desperately need rebounding. Hopefully, Whaley can help but we need more. And we need a go-to scorer. 8 points a game is really good for a Freshman so I don't expect Hicks to be our man. I don't see anyone on the existing roster that can step up, so the portal has to be the way. And we need ALL of these. Just getting some won't do it. Realistically, KK fills the positions with low-level conference players. Or players that are completely buried on a P5 bench. Either way, these will be players that are not good enough to move the needle. The result will be a season a little worse than what we had this year.

Unless business leaders step up with a lucrative NIL plan or we get into a P5 conference we're in trouble.

Look what Williams did at Texas before coming here. Not much. He averaged 3.3 ppg and 1 rpg. I'd love to get the sure thing guys, but maybe we can get a dynamic player or 2 like him that are buried on the depth chart

Whaley was named NJCAA HM All-America. His teammate is pretty good, too. Maybe we should look at this guy:

Isaiah Moses, 1st Team NJCAA A-A

Moses stats
eS5naWY.gif

Probably not a bad pick up but looks like he averaged over 3 turnovers a game so his assist to turnover ratio is something like 4:3. Still, hard to see CKK somehow getting anyone much better.
Maybe some coaching up is in order… like don’t dribble into a corner or jump in the air before passing the rock? Whatever the case, get a PG here!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT