ADVERTISEMENT

Poll:

Who will have a better season, football or basketball?

• Football

Votes: 50 94.3%
  • Basketball.

Votes: 3 5.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
After next season ends for both major sports, which do you think will be more successful?

By success, we will define it as - the season in which you are more proud of the achievement.

Football or basketball?

After next season ends for both major sports, which do you think will be more successful?

By success, we will define it as - the season in which you are more proud of the achievement.

Football or basketball?
I mean, basketball will probably have more wins...?

My hopes are Odom kills it this year, truly wakes up our Athletic Department, turns Odom into the Mark Few of Football, and pays him to get us into a P4 conference. If this isn't UNLV's mindset, we might as well cancel all sports and throw away every penny spent on our new state of the art facilities. It certainly looks like we want in. They better be ready to invest in UNLV's future or all of this has been for not.

Our benchmark for both sports is where we finish in the conference.

Hard to imagine our football team not finishing top 3 or even top 2. Experience and talent (for MWC standards) across the board. All depends on QB play.

In basketball, the conference may see a significant drop off. Strong conference or weak conference though, we struggle to achieve top 3 in hoops since Lon. We are replacing a lot of production and we are not dripping with shooters. DJ is great, but may have to shoot his way to 18 ppg. Unless we have a couple other all-conference level producers emerge, it'll be same ol'-same ol'

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I think that we may have a better football team, but not necessarily a better record. I think our defense will be significantly better, offense could be too, but a tougher early slate may hurt our chances.

It was a somewhat disappointing finish last year, which was a bit of a reality check of where we were, so I do think that there is some work to be done to be a true MW title contender. am on the fence on how quickly we can become one.

However, I am very confident that we can become one as long as Odom is here. The recruiting, the general overall play and preparation, it all looks very good.

As for this upcoming season, I think it depends a lot on the QB coming in and performing well, and the line play/ability to run the ball. The run game was not very good against the better teams. Having a mobile QB will help that, but also our guys up front need to do better. If we can get a win one game one, I think that will go a long way. Lose and our OOC may be pretty bad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT