ADVERTISEMENT

Petrino (Bird)

A scorpion wants to cross a river but cannot swim, so it asks a frog to carry it across. The frog hesitates, afraid that the scorpion might sting it, but the scorpion promises not to, pointing out that it would drown if it killed the frog in the middle of the river. The frog considers this argument sensible and agrees to transport the scorpion. Midway across the river, the scorpion stings the frog anyway, dooming them both. The dying frog asks the scorpion why it stung despite knowing the consequence, to which the scorpion replies: "I am sorry, but I couldn't resist the urge. It's in my nature."

That home run hire was actually fan interference on replay. I'm not surprised--especially given TAMU has a LOT more money to give to a coordinator and Jimbo's seat is blistering hot right now.

Petrino will do whatever serves him first and foremost. He's a scorpion.

A scorpion wants to cross a river but cannot swim, so it asks a frog to carry it across. The frog hesitates, afraid that the scorpion might sting it, but the scorpion promises not to, pointing out that it would drown if it killed the frog in the middle of the river. The frog considers this argument sensible and agrees to transport the scorpion. Midway across the river, the scorpion stings the frog anyway, dooming them both. The dying frog asks the scorpion why it stung despite knowing the consequence, to which the scorpion replies: "I am sorry, but I couldn't resist the urge. It's in my nature."

That home run hire was actually fan interference on replay. I'm not surprised--especially given TAMU has a LOT more money to give to a coordinator and Jimbo's seat is blistering hot right now.

Petrino will do whatever serves him first and foremost. He's a scorpion.
Is Jimbo's seat blistering?

Had a terrible year for sure, but even for Texas A & M his buyout is insane, 80+ million.

I'm not sure if even they could easily swing that and then hire another top dollar coach on top of that.

And hopefully they were some type of buyout clause that Texas A&M owes UNLV some money.
I mean, sure, like his moving expenses or something? There isn't usually a huge buyout $ for an assistant making 300k so don't hold your breath

Embarrassing for the program but we can't get any lower
Seriously? I'd say we're in much better shape now than we were 5 years ago, or 10 years ago, or 15 years ago...etc. Great facilities, great stadium, finally spending money on a coach. We won't ever (likely) be able to compete with Texas A&M money, so if they want our coach, they'll get him. I'm just glad we're not losing the HC at this point like with the Beard fiasco.

I'd MUCH rather get someone working for me at $300,000 who thinks he's worth $100,000. rather than someone working for $300,000 who thinks he's worth $1,000,000.

Is Jimbo's seat blistering?

Had a terrible year for sure, but even for Texas A & M his buyout is insane, 80+ million.

I'm not sure if even they could easily swing that and then hire another top dollar coach on top of that.
If you don't think his seat is blistering, you really don't understand the expectations at A&M.
80+ million buyout is almost nothing to them. They finished last season with a 60 million single year surplus.

Auburn is paying off Gus Malzahn another 15 million, paying off Brian Harsin another 15 million, and higred Hugh Freeze at a total value of 42 million (6.5 a year + a 3 million Liberty buyout) and they had an 18 million dollar budget surplus. And if Freeze puts together 2 seasons like Jimbo just did they'll fire him in a heartbeat and pay his buyout.

Now TAMU doesn't want to pay 86 million in a buyout, but if you think Jimbo hasn't used up all his good will after the last two seasons then you just don't understand what the program's tolerances are. You can look at recent history and what went down with Kevin Sumlin.

Sumlin's record was 51-26 in 6 seasons (.662), was ranked in the top 25 in the preseason twice, and finished outside the top 25 four times. His best finish was 2nd in the SEC west. Fired before the end of season 6 and never had a losing record. Sumlin went to a bowl game every year.

Jimbo is being paid almost twice what Sumlin was and has recruited much better. His record in 5 years is 39-21 (.65), he was ranked in the top 25 in the preseason 4 times and finished outside the top 25 3 times. His best finish was 2nd in the SEC west in the Covid year. Jimbo was the first TAMU coach to miss a bowl game since 2008, and the first TAMU coach to miss two bowl games in a row since 1983-1984 back when there weren't enough bowl games.

A&M hired Jimbo to take them to the next level, and gave him a fully guaranteed extension based on that promise. Since that extension Jimbo hasn't finished higher than 4th in the SEC West, and is barely over .500. Nobody pays a coach 9.7 million a season for those results--especially not in the SEC/Texas. He's basically been a poor man's Keven Sumlin--same ceiling with a lower floor despite having a much better recruiting base to work with.

If you don't think his seat is blistering, you really don't understand the expectations at A&M.
80+ million buyout is almost nothing to them. They finished last season with a 60 million single year surplus.

Auburn is paying off Gus Malzahn another 15 million, paying off Brian Harsin another 15 million, and higred Hugh Freeze at a total value of 42 million (6.5 a year + a 3 million Liberty buyout) and they had an 18 million dollar budget surplus. And if Freeze puts together 2 seasons like Jimbo just did they'll fire him in a heartbeat and pay his buyout.

Now TAMU doesn't want to pay 86 million in a buyout, but if you think Jimbo hasn't used up all his good will after the last two seasons then you just don't understand what the program's tolerances are. You can look at recent history and what went down with Kevin Sumlin.

Sumlin's record was 51-26 in 6 seasons (.662), was ranked in the top 25 in the preseason twice, and finished outside the top 25 four times. His best finish was 2nd in the SEC west. Fired before the end of season 6 and never had a losing record. Sumlin went to a bowl game every year.

Jimbo is being paid almost twice what Sumlin was and has recruited much better. His record in 5 years is 39-21 (.65), he was ranked in the top 25 in the preseason 4 times and finished outside the top 25 3 times. His best finish was 2nd in the SEC west in the Covid year. Jimbo was the first TAMU coach to miss a bowl game since 2008, and the first TAMU coach to miss two bowl games in a row since 1983-1984 back when there weren't enough bowl games.

A&M hired Jimbo to take them to the next level, and gave him a fully guaranteed extension based on that promise. Since that extension Jimbo hasn't finished higher than 4th in the SEC West, and is barely over .500. Nobody pays a coach 9.7 million a season for those results--especially not in the SEC/Texas. He's basically been a poor man's Keven Sumlin--same ceiling with a lower floor despite having a much better recruiting base to work with.
Oh I get it.

Other than living in extended Aggie land (Houston), I know someone on the medical staff that is on the sidelines and the practice field.

I know the tensions are high.

I also know that Jimbo acts like he DOES NOT GAF, the way he does business. Sure he wants to win, but he is not acting like his job is in jeopardy.

Granted he is getting 85 mil from A&M either way, so there is that.

But 85 mil is still 85 mil. Sure they have "a surplus", but most institutions love the idea of flushing 85 mil down toilet.

Also recruited much better? 247 class rankings for A&M the past 4 years
2023- #12, 2022- #1, 2021- #8, 2020- #6.
Hard to get too much better than that.

Jimbo has disappointed, but was preseason top 5 this year. Its not like he not building teams that are not supposed to be good.

I’m actually pretty pissed. Gonna go to the gym tonight and bang out some weights.

This absolutely sucks.

Does anyone have a clue of a short list of candidates for OC and DC? This is so typical at UNLV, we cannot even get the reclamation project off the ground without something bad happening. Just when I thought we might be on to something Petrino pulls a 180!

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Does anyone have a clue of a short list of candidates for OC and DC? This is so typical at UNLV, we cannot even get the reclamation project off the ground without something bad happening. Just when I thought we might be on to something Petrino pulls a 180!
DC is the linebackers coach from Arkansas...
OC at this point who knows, maybe Arroyo is available

Petrino is the exception not the rules. Most coordinators dont pull this crap. The rules is when someone signed a contract, they are signed for the year.

Also recruited much better? 247 class rankings for A&M the past 4 years
2023- #12, 2022- #1, 2021- #8, 2020- #6.
Hard to get too much better than that.

Jimbo has disappointed, but was preseason top 5 this year. Its not like he not building teams that are not supposed to be good.
I might have come off shitty. If so, my bad.

Don't know if I miscommunicated, I was trying to say Jimbo was a *much* better recruiter than Sumlin--which makes his on field results a little more painful. His teams are supposed to be good, and they flounder especially on the offensive side of the ball where he's supposed to be one of the best in the game.

Also, I've got a few friends degreed and boosters (minor) for TAMU--and they don't think Jimbo feels any pressure, which either makes him a genius or an idiot. And honestly neither of those guys is sure which it is right now--but they'd both pay way more in donations to get rid of Jimbo--especially if someone like Urban Meyer showed interest. They're tired of 3rd places finishes in seasons where LSU and Auburn haven't been as good as they've been historically. It's opportunity wasted.

Football made a 70 million dollar profit last year alone--paying 80 million to get rid of a mistake can and will happen under the right circumstances.

DC is likely to be announced soon. Arkansas LB coach Scherer.

OC? Your guess is as good as mine.

Odom has been around awhile I don't get the feeling he'll be scrambling for a replacement.

These things seem more frustrating from a how long it takes standpoint than they really are. Often a guy is in place but all the HR and paperwork background check stuff takes awhile delaying an announcement.

This is the life of a second-rate program - be it sports, government or business. The small and insignificant programs have their best employees get poached. It's the way of the world.

This is true.

I get why people are frustrated. It sucks.

But anybody on these boards that says they wouldn't take a job tripling their salary I would call bs...

Sure quality of life, schedule, location etc might come in to play but if all things are equal? You're taking that job 'loyalty' be damned.

Dude, it’s 2023, why didn’t we lock him in like at 500,000 or over.

300,000 for OC? We should have had that covered.

I might have come off shitty. If so, my bad.

Don't know if I miscommunicated, I was trying to say Jimbo was a *much* better recruiter than Sumlin--which makes his on field results a little more painful. His teams are supposed to be good, and they flounder especially on the offensive side of the ball where he's supposed to be one of the best in the game.

Also, I've got a few friends degreed and boosters (minor) for TAMU--and they don't think Jimbo feels any pressure, which either makes him a genius or an idiot. And honestly neither of those guys is sure which it is right now--but they'd both pay way more in donations to get rid of Jimbo--especially if someone like Urban Meyer showed interest. They're tired of 3rd places finishes in seasons where LSU and Auburn haven't been as good as they've been historically. It's opportunity wasted.

Football made a 70 million dollar profit last year alone--paying 80 million to get rid of a mistake can and will happen under the right circumstances.

No worries my man.

I'm sure there are many boosters that want him gone, and maybe even a majority. But someone has to approve that final decision to pull that trigger. That is a lot of money that A&M probably doesn't want to give away.

85 mil would be an unprecedented buyout by probably at least double, if not triple or more the highest buyout ever. (i'm guessing, I did not look this up)

It is not impossible, and I agree it could happen. But, this is not your usual buyout situation. What other entity is willing to throw away the equivalent of their annual profits?

I get it that A&M is worried, because they should be. With UT (and to a lesser extent OU) joining the SEC, their ability to own Texas recruiting is going to take a major hit. They were 3rd fiddle or worse when they were in the Big 12, and being in the SEC was pretty much the sole reason that they were able to jump those schools in recruiting.

But this is A&M, not Texas, not Bama, not even LSU. They don't have the recent pedigree of success like those schools. Sure fans are not reasonable by nature, but accountants typically are.

Speaking of accountants, A&M is not losing money with Jimbo at the helm. quite the contrary as you pointed out. They have one of the most loyal fan bases in sports. I'm sure there would be some push back from bean counters on making an objectively terrible financial decision.

Weren't there rumblings about 2-3 weeks ago about A&M possibly going after a coach or 2 we were looking at? I can't recall what or where, just recall some chatter about it. I'm not shocked tbh..

So did some research. The biggest buyout in the history of college athletics was Coach 0 at 17.1 mil.
Jimbo would be owed over 76 mil if fired next season. That is 4.5x more than the biggest buyout in history.

Not saying that it can't happen, but you can't say that it would be easy for A&M to make that move.

Last edited:
In my opinion his plan is to gradually work himself up to more prestigious programs as he continues to wipe off the stench. If he does well at A&M his next stop could be a P5 program. That is what he’s looking for. We were just a quick stop on the road.

In my opinion his plan is to gradually work himself up to more prestigious programs as he continues to wipe off the stench. If he does well at A&M his next stop could be a P5 program. That is what he’s looking for. We were just a quick stop on the road.
That's quite a jump though to go from coach at Missouri State to OC at Texas A&M, where the competition is high and the pressure is immense right now. It's definitely a risky move on his part, but it does also have the monetary advantage, assuming he gets paid at T A&M like we assume he will. If A&M struggles next year as they did this year, he could easily be cast as the scapegoat. Now, if they do great, then yeah, he could be in line for a jump to head coach at a D1 program, but that's a big "if" when you're talking about competing in the SEC.

A&M finished 5-7 overall this year, and 2-6 in the SEC. They're in the same division of the SEC as LSU, Alabama, Miss. St, Ole Miss, Arkansas and Auburn, and may also end up having to play against the other half of the SEC, which includes Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, Florida, etc. That's rough!

That's quite a jump though to go from coach at Missouri State to OC at Texas A&M, where the competition is high and the pressure is immense right now. It's definitely a risky move on his part, but it does also have the monetary advantage, assuming he gets paid at T A&M like we assume he will. If A&M struggles next year as they did this year, he could easily be cast as the scapegoat. Now, if they do great, then yeah, he could be in line for a jump to head coach at a D1 program, but that's a big "if" when you're talking about competing in the SEC.

A&M finished 5-7 overall this year, and 2-6 in the SEC. They're in the same division of the SEC as LSU, Alabama, Miss. St, Ole Miss, Arkansas and Auburn, and may also end up having to play against the other half of the SEC, which includes Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, Florida, etc. That's rough!

I bet Jimbo is fired after next season. Petrino will probably be looking for a new job in a year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT