ADVERTISEMENT

Peterson and Orgeron possibly per LVRJ

I can get behind Barry odom, heck of a defensive coach and pretty solid recruiter. Should be able to assemble a strong staff.

Will it excite the fan base after the BS the LVRJ has put out? Absolutely not, however it will in fact build the on field results, the OC he hires will be key as his offenses at mizzou were very stale and stagnant.

If true, that what explain when the department hushed up. Odom was not on our radar but fell into our lap once his Tulsa deal fell through. They probably started scrambling.

Casual fans will be like “who?” But this is a really good hire. Can and will recruit well. can and will coach defense. Let’s see who we can get as OC etc.
I agree. IMO this is more solid than most of the other "realistic" candidates being thrown around.

It's not exciting but it isn't an awful hire either.

Definitely some concerns about west coast/regional ties. Recruiting.

Went .500 Coaching at Mizzou. Has a good track record as a DC.

Did about as well as can be expected at Mizzou.

Maybe I'm trying to convince myself but, if it were him or Arroyo last time out I would have been in the Odom camp because of HC experience.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
If true. That what explain when the department hushed up. Odom was not on our radar but fell into our lap once his Tulsa deal fell through. UNLV probably started scrambling with excitement to put a deal together.

It’s like when an NFL teams has already planned on a player in the draft because the guy they could use isn’t expected to be on the board. Things happen and you have to take that person off the board.

Casual fans will be like “who?” But this is a really good hire. Can and will recruit well. can and will coach defense. Let’s see who we can get as OC etc.
You said it right there. Tulsa vs UNLV. Wow what great company for us to be in when we’re trying to get Pac-12.

I would have much rather them taken the chance on USC Williams at this point.

If true. That what explain when the department hushed up. Odom was not on our radar but fell into our lap once his Tulsa deal fell through. UNLV probably started scrambling with excitement to put a deal together.

It’s like when an NFL teams has already planned on a player in the draft because the guy they could use isn’t expected to be on the board. Things happen and you have to take that person off the board.

Your nuanced approach is not going to fly here pal.

(I agree, it's not a bad hire, however I'm not going to have Eric Harper's baby because of it)

• Haha
You said it right there. Tulsa vs UNLV. Wow what great company for us to be in when we’re trying to get Pac-12.

Was it his losing record as an interim coach? Or his recruiting ability? We've seen the great recruiting show here before.

Reactions: NSU67

Maybe I'm trying to convince myself but, if it were him or Arroyo last time out I would have been in the Odom camp because of HC experience.
"Went .500 Coaching at Mizzou. Has a good track record as a DC."

In his final year at Mizzou he lost to WYOMING and Vandy.
This year as DC his defense is rated worst in the SEC and 123 Nationally.

At least he hasn't had multiple DUI's and managed to stay away from the cheerleaders and dance team.

It’s an awful hire if you were expecting Ed O or Chris Petersen to come here…but compared to the Sumlin and Stoops options I like Odom!

He was a head coach in the SEC for 3 seasons and coaches Arkansas’s defense. He also turned around the Memphis defense, Pretty quick.

I didn’t know we were supposed to hold what school wants a coach against them. Sure Tulsa wanted him. So that means he sucks? Horrible “logic”

Absolutely not
How is a position coach with no head coaching experience better than a proven DC that has been extremely successful at multiple spots in the SEC, with HC coaching experience in the SEC himself? With a decent record there?

He doesn't have a household name. But neither does Williams.

Splash hire? No. Doesn't it have to be, no. Would it be nice? Absolutely for immediate ticket success. But outside a handful of names that wasnt going to happen

At least he hasn't had multiple DUI's and managed to stay away from the cheerleaders and dance team.

This year. He has had decent defenses in the past.

Went 4-8 7-6 8-5 and 6-6. At Mizzou.

It's not exciting at all.

It's also not a dumpster fire either.

I mean how much better can we realistically do?

Tulsa who's actually seen a bowl games wanted him. So there's that.

The guy we just fired lost to the worst Hawaii team, was blown out at home by Air Force, destroyed by SJSU, had to mount a huge comeback at home against UNM to get a win.

If it’s between Odom and Arroyo, I’m going Odom everyday

Absolutely not
How is a position coach with no head coaching experience better than a proven DC that has been extremely successful at multiple spots in the SEC, with HC coaching experience in the SEC himself? With a decent record there?

He doesn't have a household name. But neither does Williams.

Splash hire? No. Doesn't it have to be, no. Would it be nice? Absolutely for immediate ticket success. But outside a handful of names that wasnt going to happen
This right here.

This is all about expectations. Thinking Peterson, Orgeron, Patterson, etc really sets up for disappointment. Give me Odom over Sumlin and Stoops all day, every day.

Biggest key now is going to be player retention. Hopefully we can retain as many key pieces as possible.

I can get behind Barry odom, heck of a defensive coach and pretty solid recruiter. Should be able to assemble a strong staff.

Will it excite the fan base after the BS the LVRJ has put out? Absolutely not, however it will in fact build the on field results, the OC he hires will be key as his offenses at mizzou were very stale and stagnant.
I’d rather a fan base get excited over wins, not hiring a coach. We’ve become so accustomed to hanging our hat on what coach we can hire every three seasons. I’m done with excitement over a hire. I think Odom can win in the MWC. That makes me excited

This right here.

This is all about expectations. Thinking Peterson, Orgeron, Patterson, etc really sets up for disappointment. Give me Odom over Sumlin and Stoops all day, every day.

Biggest key now is going to be player retention. Hopefully we can retain as many key pieces as possible.
Exactly. We can't afford to have a major regression for 2 years like when Arroyo took over. Going from 5 wins with Sanchez, then winning 0 and 2 in Arroyo's first 2 years to finally 5 wins after year 3 is a tough path. He needs to be able to retain as much of our current team as possible, while bringing in a bunch of new talent and portal guys as well. Hopefully he'll have a bunch of good contacts and have previously recruited players that know him well enough to transfer out here and give it a shot.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Ha. Too dull. Too midwest. Too south. Didn't win enough in the SEC. Lost to the wrong teams. Only knows defense. Should have hired west coast (Arroyo). Should have hired a winner (Hauck). Should have hired a recruiter (Sanchez). Should have hired offense (Arroyo). Should have hired a schmoozer (Sanchez).

Welcome to UNLV Coach!

@Couev did the legwork here credit to him on these stats and perspective..Pulled from another thread.

His first season they were 81/124 scoring defense and 52/124 total defense
His second season they were 61/125 scoring defense and 46/125 total defense
His third season they were 11/128 scoring and 27/128 total defense.

That's solid growth and a top 30 defense at a program like Memphis is better than 'wasn't all that great'
I'm not saying lets celebrate our national championship or anything, but the guy has more top 20 defense across his career than CMA had top 20 offenses AND he did some of those in the SEC AND he has 4 years HC experience in the SEC and he had 3/4 seasons at .500 and above while doing it.

He was a head coach in the SEC for 3 seasons and coaches Arkansas’s defense. He also turned around the Memphis defense, Pretty quick.

I didn’t know we were supposed to hold what school wants a coach against them. Sure Tulsa wanted him. So that means he sucks? Horrible “logic”
Hmm, so it works that way for recruits but not coaches? Come on man. If we beat out Rice, UTEP, or UC whatever for a basketball recruit we’re not impressed. If we beat out any big time schools for a recruit we’re intrigued and very optimistic. Why would it be different for a coach?

Approximately 15 schools (some big time) have hired coaches and the only one that wanted Odom was Tulsa? That’s not impressive and yes this is more perception and not simply logic. Perception is what’s important with season tickets and recruiting in the short term. I think you’re too close to the situation and WANT this to be a good hire too bad to see what it really is. We got the leftovers from all of the coaching searches and no one will head to the ticket office for a package.

Hmm, so it works that way for recruits but not coaches? Come on man. If we beat out Rice, UTEP, or UC whatever for a basketball recruit we’re not impressed. If we beat out any big time schools for a recruit we’re intrigued and very optimistic. Why would it be different for a coach?

Approximately 15 schools (some big time) have hired coaches and the only one that wanted Odom was Tulsa? That’s not impressive and yes this is more perception and not simply logic. Perception is what’s important with season tickets and recruiting in the short term. I think you’re too close to the situation and WANT this to be a good hire too bad to see what it really is. We got the leftovers from all of the coaching searches and no one will head to the ticket office for a package.

First off Tulsa has been a signficantly better football program than UNLV in the recent past.

Second, you know personally that ALL other schools decided to pass on Odom?

Even if they did, the fact that he was already making 1.85 mil a year as an assistant would definitely scare off most G5 schools that is for sure.

Y’all are getting a great coach and a great guy in Barry Odom. He played a huge part of our turn around here in Arkansas. He will be able to hire a great staff and hit the portal and bring some talent in to win games. I think you all will be very impressed. As I mentioned earlier my only concern would be he’s never been out of this area before but football is football. He will get it right. He has a brother, Brian, who is on staff at USC. It’s been great chatting with you guys today. I will have to linger around from time to time. Y’all have a new fan in me and wish nothing but success for BO and the fans of UNLV.

Hmm, so it works that way for recruits but not coaches? Come on man. If we beat out Rice, UTEP, or UC whatever for a basketball recruit we’re not impressed. If we beat out any big time schools for a recruit we’re intrigued and very optimistic
“We’re.” You answered your own question. “We’re” fans. Fans is short for fanatics. We’re absolute idiots. Add UNLV before the word fan and that makes us even bigger idiots.

Y’all are getting a great coach and a great guy in Barry Odom. He played a huge part of our turn around here in Arkansas. He will be able to hire a great staff and hit the portal and bring some talent in to win games. I think you all will be very impressed. As I mentioned earlier my only concern would be he’s never been out of this area before but football is football. He will get it right. He has a brother, Brian, who is on staff at USC. It’s been great chatting with you guys today. I will have to linger around from time to time. Y’all have a new fan in me and wish nothing but success for BO and the fans of UNLV.
Thanks for the very timely insight. AA insider? No. Triple A my friend!

Rrrrazzzeerrr-bayyyyackkks. Right back at you.

• Love

I'm not an Arkansas fan, but I did watch their defense in person about 10 days ago. They were hit with a ridiculous number of injuries in their secondary in particular. Look at their nonconference schedule: Cincinnati, BYU, Liberty, and for their FCS opponent they play one that is coached by Bobby Petrino who has been scheming to beat Arkansas all throughout spring and fall camps. Seriously. Look at how the rest of the season went for Missouri State after they used all of their plays in the game in Fayetteville.

The defense he inherited at Arkansas was easily the worst in the SEC West and they overachieved by quite a bit in 2020 and then last year they won 9 games and the Outback Bowl.

If Eric Harper pulls one of those two off, I'll have his baby..
According to woke doctrine, that's entirely possible. If it happens, am I invited to your baby shower?
Thanks for writing and giving some insight into our new coach. Welcome!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT