ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Judge commits suicide

• Sad
Reactions: RebelScrub
Turns out she was a year younger than myself and I did go to school with her. Maiden name was Andress, I believe.
You didn’t smash that?

Dude, I did some sleuthing..

Top notch is also a dispensary..

So they have a weed business and pimping out customer retail associatesz

Something more sinister is out there!!

You didn’t smash that?

Dude, I did some sleuthing..

Top notch is also a dispensary..

So they have a weed business and pimping out customer retail associatesz

Something more sinister is out there!!
No. I was more into Valley Girls. And Clark. Basic. Western. Chap. Green valley wasn’t open yet. Oh, and I guess I added Eldorado later in life.

I’m not a fan of high maintenance.

• Wow
You must have went to school with Matt Othick & Brian Williams.

My brother was a year or so behind her and he doesn't remember her either.
Brian was a weird, quirky but very cool dude. He was a year younger than myself. Great sense of humor and down to earth. I had him in a couple classes. It was funny how he had to duck through every door. Shame what happened to him.

I didn’t know Matt at all. Had I been a college basketball junky back then, I would have, but I was just an NBA fan until I graduated high school. But Brian stood out because of his size, Matt was a relatively normal sized dude. I remember Brian talking about Maryland a lot back then. Had I been a diehard UNLV fan back then, I’d have been a bagman for Tark (jk) or collected cash to get him to go to UNLV.

Yeah, the name Andress sounds familiar but I couldn’t place her. My understanding in talking with people was that she was gorgeous.

Brian was a weird, quirky but very cool dude. He was a year younger than myself. Great sense of humor and down to earth. I had him in a couple classes. It was funny how he had to duck through every door. Shame what happened to him.

I didn’t know Matt at all. Had I been a college basketball junky back then, I would have, but I was just an NBA fan until I graduated high school. But Brian stood out because of his size, Matt was a relatively normal sized dude. I remember Brian talking about Maryland a lot back then. Had I been a diehard UNLV fan back then, I’d have been a bagman for Tark (jk) or collected cash to get him to go to UNLV.

Yeah, the name Andress sounds familiar but I couldn’t place her. My understanding in talking with people was that she was gorgeous.
My brother played basketball at Gorman and he scrimmaged against both Williams and Othick. My brother did get called up on the varsity at the end of Othick's senior year where played a garbage minute in the '88 state title game.

My brother and I went to Magic Mountain in the summer of '88 and we coincidentally stood in a roller coaster line behind Williams and Othick with their girlfriends. They seemed to be decent guys (unlike another Vegas HS athlete at the time - Tyler Houston - who was an arrogant douchebag).

I know Tark always mentioned that he screwed up the recruitment of Othick by giving a comment to the newspaper that Greg Anthony (who was redshirting at the time) was going to be a future All-American. Othick ended up decommitting from UNLV within a few days. But I don't think Othick was ever going to go UNLV. Othick and Williams were really good friends and they wanted to go to the same school together. And the big issue was Williams never gave UNLV a second thought. I don't think Williams had anything against Tark - but he never cared about UNLV's academics.

Last edited:
My brother played basketball at Gorman and he scrimmaged against both Williams and Othick. My brother did get called up on the varsity at the end of Othick's senior year where played a garbage minute in the '88 state title game.

My brother and I went to Magic Mountain in the summer of '88 and we coincidentally stood in a roller coaster line behind Williams and Othick with their girlfriends. They seemed to be decent guys (unlike another Vegas HS athlete at the time - Tyler Houston - who was an arrogant douchebag).

I know Tark always mentioned that he screwed up the recruitment of Othick by giving a comment to the newspaper that Greg Anthony (who was redshirting at the time) was going to be a future All-American. Othick ended up decommitting from UNLV within a few days. But I don't think Othick was ever going to go UNLV. Othick and Williams were really good friends and they wanted to go to the same school together. And the big issue was Williams never gave UNLV a second thought. I don't think Williams had anything against Tark - but he never cared about UNLV's academics.
I wasn’t a fan of Tyler either. Arrogant beyond belief. I didn’t go to Valley, I wanted to, I wanted to play for Fairless and I grew up playing baseball and traveling with more than 3/4ths of that team. I had 2B locked up. A lot of good players on that team, loaded. Danny Opperman was a stud pitcher but blew his arm out after being taken by the Dodgers. I think Ty was a sophomore when Danny was a senior, same year as me. I wanted to play for Valley so badly but my parents wouldn’t have it, they were education heavy - so it was Gorman.

After I called it quits at Gorman (they sucked badly back then and I hated losing - and I wasn’t good enough to make a difference, plus I rebelled against my parents for not allowing me to go to Valley … but we did have future AL ROY on the team, Marty Cordova) … I’d head to Valley after school to screw around with those guys. Tyler was a beast, even when he was young, but always rubbed me the wrong way.

I wasn’t a fan of Tyler either. Arrogant beyond belief. I didn’t go to Valley, I wanted to, I wanted to play for Fairless and I grew up playing baseball and traveling with more than 3/4ths of that team. I had 2B locked up. A lot of good players on that team, loaded. Danny Opperman was a stud pitcher but blew his arm out after being taken by the Dodgers. I think Ty was a sophomore when Danny was a senior, same year as me. I wanted to play for Valley so badly but my parents wouldn’t have it, they were education heavy - so it was Gorman.

After I called it quits at Gorman (they sucked badly back then and I hated losing - and I wasn’t good enough to make a difference, plus I rebelled against my parents for not allowing me to go to Valley … but we did have future AL ROY on the team, Marty Cordova) … I’d head to Valley after school to screw around with those guys. Tyler was a beast, even when he was young, but always rubbed me the wrong way.
Danny was a nice guy. His older brother (who also played at Valley) coached me in little league. Real shame what happened to his arm.

My brother played baseball with a number of those guys from Valley (Houston, Doug Mirabelli, Steve Rodriguez). Mirabelli and Rodriguez were good guys, but Houston had a bigtime ego.

Pretty certain my brother was a little league teammate with your brother (or cousin) one year too.

I remember going to a Valley - Gorman baseball game back in '89. My friend and I knew there were going to be MLB scouts there so we were playing catch on the side to try to impress them. I later read a blurb in Sports Illustrated that there were 13 scouts at that game.

Reactions: j. spilotro
I gave Brian a ride to school our entire Junior year. He used to pick up recruiting letters by the dozens. Coach Hovanec was placed at Gorman to guide Brian our way. Problem was his brother and his dad were completely dysfunctional. Dad was loud, drunk and I suspect abusive. His Dad was a member of the Four Tops act (I might have the group name wrong) at the Four Queens. Brian loved Tark but hated Vegas. Picked Maryland to get as far from his Dad as he could. His brother was strange back then. Brian was quirky with a big intellectual curiosity. It was so him to quit basketball even with the big money it brought to go see the world instead. His Brother was a selfish fool.
Matt graduated a year later with the whole Midnight Lute scandal. Greg was a sophomore red shirt transfer so the general public didn't know how good he really was. Tark's comments hurt his recruiting, but in the end, Greg and Anderson were both better fits. I think Matt would have only seen real minutes his senior year along with H Waldman.
I also knew Melanie from St Josephs and Gorman. She was beautiful, smart and genuinely cool. Kind of a the hot tomboy. Her older brother Mike died the same way. Real tragedy for all these people.

Danny was a nice guy. His older brother (who also played at Valley) coached me in little league. Real shame what happened to his arm.

My brother played baseball with a number of those guys from Valley (Houston, Doug Mirabelli, Steve Rodriguez). Mirabelli and Rodriguez were good guys, but Houston had a bigtime ego.

Pretty certain my brother was a little league teammate with your brother (or cousin) one year too.

I remember going to a Valley - Gorman baseball game back in '89. My friend and I knew there were going to be MLB scouts there so we were playing catch on the side to try to impress them. I later read a blurb in Sports Illustrated that there were 13 scouts at that game.

Me, my brother and a couple of cousins played a lot of baseball. My brother is 4 years older, one cousin 2 years older, one two years younger.

I remember Dave. Not so sure he should have been teaching Danny to snap them off at 10 years old, but he was Danny’s biggest fan. Danny was a Gumby, so freaky bendable and skinny. Great dude though.

Don’t know if you know him, but I was probably tightest with Richard Ebarb, you may have known his younger brother Vince. Rich and I were a very sharp double play combo back in the day. I was a solid player, no future with it, I knew that. You couldn’t strike me out (I still bust Danny’s chops about that) and you couldn’t slide a ball past me. Everything else was pretty mediocre though, except power. Slap contact hitter, old day prototypical lead off hitter type.

It’s kinda weird … back in the later 90’s, I was contemplating assistant coach with Richard at Chaparral … I just had hit the workforce, kinda bored, was taking college courses to teach in case I didn’t like the sciences … and this Rivals thing fell in my lap, so I declined. Back then it was rivalsnet.com, I believe. I didn’t know what it would entail but it was UNLV so I went for it.

I wish more kids today had that sort of camaraderie that we had. Back then, even if kids sucked, nearly everyone played some sport …

I gave Brian a ride to school our entire Junior year. He used to pick up recruiting letters by the dozens. Coach Hovanec was placed at Gorman to guide Brian our way. Problem was his brother and his dad were completely dysfunctional. Dad was loud, drunk and I suspect abusive. His Dad was a member of the Four Tops act (I might have the group name wrong) at the Four Queens. Brian loved Tark but hated Vegas. Picked Maryland to get as far from his Dad as he could. His brother was strange back then. Brian was quirky with a big intellectual curiosity. It was so him to quit basketball even with the big money it brought to go see the world instead. His Brother was a selfish fool.
Matt graduated a year later with the whole Midnight Lute scandal. Greg was a sophomore red shirt transfer so the general public didn't know how good he really was. Tark's comments hurt his recruiting, but in the end, Greg and Anderson were both better fits. I think Matt would have only seen real minutes his senior year along with H Waldman.
I also knew Melanie from St Josephs and Gorman. She was beautiful, smart and genuinely cool. Kind of a the hot tomboy. Her older brother Mike died the same way. Real tragedy for all these people.
Great insight. Thank you.

Me, my brother and a couple of cousins played a lot of baseball. My brother is 4 years older, one cousin 2 years older, one two years younger.

I remember Dave. Not so sure he should have been teaching Danny to snap them off at 10 years old, but he was Danny’s biggest fan. Danny was a Gumby, so freaky bendable and skinny. Great dude though.

Don’t know if you know him, but I was probably tightest with Richard Ebarb, you may have known his younger brother Vince. Rich and I were a very sharp double play combo back in the day. I was a solid player, no future with it, I knew that. You couldn’t strike me out (I still bust Danny’s chops about that) and you couldn’t slide a ball past me. Everything else was pretty mediocre though, except power. Slap contact hitter, old day prototypical lead off hitter type.

It’s kinda weird … back in the later 90’s, I was contemplating assistant coach with Richard at Chaparral … I just had hit the workforce, kinda bored, was taking college courses to teach in case I didn’t like the sciences … and this Rivals thing fell in my lap, so I declined. Back then it was rivalsnet.com, I believe. I didn’t know what it would entail but it was UNLV so I went for it.

I wish more kids today had that sort of camaraderie that we had. Back then, even if kids sucked, nearly everyone played some sport …
Joe, this is crazy. Ebarb is a legend at Chaparral. I graduated from Chap in 2009 and he was there all four of my years as the weight training coach. Pretty cool story. Small world. Kinda wish you coached at Chap! I have a lot of pride and passion for that school.

• Love
Joe, this is crazy. Ebarb is a legend at Chaparral. I graduated from Chap in 2009 and he was there all four of my years as the weight training coach. Pretty cool story. Small world. Kinda wish you coached at Chap! I have a lot of pride and passion for that school.
I had a feeling you knew him knowing you went to Chap. He was a good ball player, strong shortstop. I’m telling you, we had a chemistry up the middle of the field that was pretty cool. He and I still talk about it when we bump into one another.

His dad, Elton, coached us for a few years. Hard ass coach but he got the best out of me. I didn’t want to play for him, he was too intense, but like I said, I responded. I remember in one game against him and Rich, before I transitioned to second base … I made a game winning diving catch in centerfield with the bases loaded. Coach Ebarb made a beeline for me with his stern face. I kid you not, I thought he was going to Woody Hayes me. He gave me a hard hug and said that’s one hell of a catch kid. I didn’t know what to think at that moment, but I played for him with Rich for the next three years and I transitioned to 2B, which he wasn’t happy about because he wanted me at center. So he gave me one shot at the position - and he based it 100% on my footwork, especially around the bag on double plays. Went the next three seasons without an error at second base. Great memories.

Glad you knew him.

I don't think I knew Richard. But if his brother was a few years younger, I'm sure his younger brother crossed paths with one my brothers at some point.

I think it was most likely your younger cousin who was teammates with my brother. If I remember correctly, your cousin really hurt his ankle sliding into a base during the season.

Dave was a riot. He and the manager (Ron Holmes) were fantastic coaches (My middle brother played for them too - he said they were the best coaches he ever had, and he ended up playing a little college basketball). Dave lived, breathed baseball. Very competitive. I remember once he got kicked out of a game for arguing a call. I'm playing first base and I peer over and Dave's watching intently, yelling, pacing in the Sunset Park parking lot like Earl Weaver in game 7 of the WS.

People would comment that because there were so many transplants, Vegas didn't have a good a sense of community. I haven't lived in Vegas in a long time, but I always thought nothing brought Vegas closer together 30 - 40 years ago thank UNLV basketball and the little leagues. I have no idea how they're run today, but the baseball leagues in Vegas back in the late 70s/80s were really well run - much better than anywhere else I've ever lived. I have a lot of great memories and spent tons of time playing baseball, hanging out with teammates, going to baseball barbecues at Sunset Park. Winning the Paradise Valley championship when I was 11 years old was one of the highlights of my childhood - lol.

• Love
I don't think I knew Richard. But if his brother was a few years younger, I'm sure his younger brother crossed paths with one my brothers at some point.

I think it was most likely your younger cousin who was teammates with my brother. If I remember correctly, your cousin really hurt his ankle sliding into a base during the season.

Dave was a riot. He and the manager (Ron Holmes) were fantastic coaches (My middle brother played for them too - he said they were the best coaches he ever had, and he ended up playing a little college basketball). Dave lived, breathed baseball. Very competitive. I remember once he got kicked out of a game for arguing a call. I'm playing first base and I peer over and Dave's watching intently, yelling, pacing in the Sunset Park parking lot like Earl Weaver in game 7 of the WS.

People would comment that because there were so many transplants, Vegas didn't have a good a sense of community. I haven't lived in Vegas in a long time, but I always thought nothing brought Vegas closer together 30 - 40 years ago thank UNLV basketball and the little leagues. I have no idea how they're run today, but the baseball leagues in Vegas back in the late 70s/80s were really well run - much better than anywhere else I've ever lived. I have a lot of great memories and spent tons of time playing baseball, hanging out with teammates, going to baseball barbecues at Sunset Park. Winning the Paradise Valley championship when I was 11 years old was one of the highlights of my childhood - lol.
It's different. Less organized, less intense.

As you know, we all lived and breathed sports and we really had a good time competing. Sunset was always jam packed with people because every participated. My dad was president of PVLL for a few years and my mom was on the board as well and everyone had fun, but it was all taken seriously. With them being on the board, if I didn't have a game or a practice, it was get your homework done, headto Sunset Park, watch ball, play pickle/tag up, pseudo fish carp from that lake, catch the bullfrogs (tons of them in the 70's), sheepishly talk with girl, drink suicide sodas from the shack, I remember when they got a microwave and we all loved the crappy pizza and pretzels ... All Stars was a lot of fun too. (at At first, tryouts were stressful, all the coaches judging you in your three digit number and the field packed watching you with 10 swings, 10 fly balls, 10 grounders and rounding the bases and sliding ... But we really were all one. Strong unity. I certainly felt that way about the Rebels, too ... it's not that anymore.

For a stretch, PVLL had the largest little league in the country (by numbers). Alot of good ballplayers. Near the time I finished little league, Green Valley was formed and splintered PVLL.

I swear, I wish every single child could feel that type of unity and camaraderie in some form, whether it be sports, music, scouts ... it really doesn't matter what it is as long as there is the opportunity to bond and have purpose, enthusiasm, direction, goals. Those friendships last a lifetime and I feel they can be absolutely critical to the person you become.

I was lucky, you were lucky ... I'll never take that stuff for granted, always cherished. Still makes me smile when I think back ...

You probably played baseball with my cousin Anthony ... he played at Valley as well ... and in PVLL, lanky lefty. Good players as well. Great kid too. He's a fireman now for the city, he may be working as a paramedic as well, not sure, I know he was thinking about it a couple years ago. Love him, great cousin.

Shheeeit, all this talk about baseball..kinda wanna buy season tix to Rebel Baseball games.

Dunno what’s going on with mlb but An mlb indoor stadium plus dual use for UNLV baseball/softball..retractable mound???

Shheeeit, all this talk about baseball..kinda wanna buy season tix to Rebel Baseball games.

Dunno what’s going on with mlb but An mlb indoor stadium plus dual use for UNLV baseball/softball..retractable mound???
UNLV baseball games are great! They are the polar opposite of Red Sox v Yankees in that the may take about 2 hours total (give or take). The players don’t step out after every pitch and waste time. They are there to play ball!

My dad worked with Ebarb’s dad and knew of him when the younger coached at Gorman.

UNLV baseball games are great! They are the polar opposite of Red Sox v Yankees in that the may take about 2 hours total (give or take). The players don’t step out after every pitch and waste time. They are there to play ball!

My dad worked with Ebarb’s dad and knew of him when the younger coached at Gorman.
To me, especially if you truly understand the game and all the nuances, baseball is the best spectator sport … but it’s gotta be outdoors.

I didn’t say most exciting. But most pleasurable.

Coach Elton - could be a scary SOB until you got to know him. It took me awhile to realize that he was just trying to get the best out of us and it worked for me, not so much others. He was tough. He knew the sport well but I think he was strongest at a motivator.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT