ADVERTISEMENT

One guy not getting enough credit.

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
Keith Whitely. For all the excitement surrounding the two freshmen, Keith has been every bit as good. Averaging over 5 yards a carry, over 600 yards. What doesn't show in the stat sheet is how good he is in pass protection.

Whitely may not have Thomas' top end speed, or Campbell's size, but he has good vision and quick feet and finishes runs well. Sort of a Jack of all trades.

There is no doubt that he is considered the best of the three at this point, and the workhorse of the team on the ground, but the excitement for the freshmen is based on their future potential as good as they already look as freshmen.

There is no doubt that he is considered the best of the three at this point, and the workhorse of the team on the ground, but the excitement for the freshmen is based on their future potential as good as they already look as freshmen.
No doubt, both freshmen have shown flashes this season. Both have a lot of potential and we will have a nice backfield tandem for the next few years.

Just giving Whitely a little shout out.

Whitely has been carrying the water, no doubt. Gets tough yards and has a little burst.

Whitely has been carrying the water, no doubt. Gets tough yards and has a little burst.
He could get close to 1000 yards this season which is always a nice milestone for a back.

You are right he has actually shown a little more burst this year than what we saw in previous years. I have always thought he showed real nice instincts running the ball. I think the two freshmen are pushing him which is a good thing.

"Instincts"

Someone said it above, and I have to agree, Whitely has them more than any of the other backs. For instance, he had a 20 yard run against Hawaii last week where it looked like he was bottled up at 4-6 yards, but he bounced/spun a couple times and turned into 20.

I fully believe X-Lex will pick up these instincts with more time, but they are what give Whitelt he edge as the go-to back at this point of their careers.

The thing I respect most about Keith Whitley is that he's shown steady improvement during each season he's been here. No matter what a player's talent level and abilities are, as long as they keep making individual strides to help the team progress, that's all anyone can ask. Whitley has been doing that up to this point which has been a joy to watch.

The thing I respect most about Keith Whitley is that he's shown steady improvement during each season he's been here. No matter what a player's talent level and abilities are, as long as they keep making individual strides to help the team progress, that's all anyone can ask. Whitley has been doing that up to this point which has been a joy to watch.
Agreed. Every year he has gotten better and been given more responsibility. Don't be surprised if the running back reps are similar again next year.

I will say this for Thomas though, he has shown considerable growth as the season has gone on. Early in the year he was trying to bounce things outside or trying to make something out of nothing. Sometimes even when a play is blocked well, you may only get a yard or two out of it. Now with Thomas he seems to be more decisive and sticking his foot in the ground and turning up field sooner.

A sign of Coach Sanchez rewarding that, is giving/trusting him with a carry down near the goal line late in that game. Not usually a spot for a back that weighs about 175 lbs.

I love the way Thomas hits the hole. Changes direction. Very explosive. We could have our version of Thunder and lightning. I agree with you about Whitely, I just can't get over how he muffed that punt in Texas at our last bowl game...lol.. we would have won ...

I love the way Thomas hits the hole. Changes direction. Very explosive. We could have our version of Thunder and lightning. I agree with you about Whitely, I just can't get over how he muffed that punt in Texas at our last bowl game...lol.. we would have won ...
What sucks is he had been so sure handed all year. That is why Hauck gave him that responsibility. He was never a particularly dangerous returner but he had been really good at handling punts, especially in the red zone.

Reactions: 5hawks1
I want to give some credit to Andrew Price - his contribution this year has impressed me. I was looking at more highlight videos and he always seems to have his man on roller skates. He's had some really timely catches so far this year too. I like the use of the TE in this offense and he's done a great job IMO.

I want to give some credit to Andrew Price - his contribution this year has impressed me. I was looking at more highlight videos and he always seems to have his man on roller skates. He's had some really timely catches so far this year too. I like the use of the TE in this offense and he's done a great job IMO.
He has been really good this year. He is turning into a very viable/dangerous option in this offense. Has had some really timely catches. The other thing I like is how physical he has been after the catch. Good call.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT