ADVERTISEMENT

OK Folks. Here we Are

drmontehorne_a_yahoo.com

UNLV Hall of Fame
Jul 29, 2009
We are really not good at BB. We are starting over from ground zero. Hard to see how far we could fall so fast. This is realty............MM is good. but I hate to say it...we are and will probably remain mediocre for the foreseeable future...

We are really not good at BB. We are starting over from ground zero. Hard to see how far we could fall so fast. This is realty............MM is good. but I hate to say it...we are and will probably remain mediocre for the foreseeable future...

You just now figured this out?

MM is not good, he's completely outclassed. Worst possible hire ever

That's terribly unfair. It used to be said wait until he has his guys, about rice. Marv had 3 months to recruit an entire team. I think marv will be a great mentor to the kids who come through Vegas. The mans got a ton of heart and wants to field a winning team. It will take time. I feel bad that he might be attached to the worst team in Rebel history. He really wanted the job to step into the position he is in. If he didn't take it, who else would have? As much as it sucks right now, Rebel basketball could be in a far worse position. I like marvy and in the long term, he was the best hire.

This season Menzies and the team gets a pass. I had no expectations coming into this season considering what happened with the coaching search and the fallout that accompanied it. I'm hopeful with a full year to recruit and a full year to get his system in place we'll be a much, much better team. Top 3 MWC team would be a reasonable goal imo for Year Two.

This season Menzies and the team gets a pass. I had no expectations coming into this season considering what happened with the coaching search and the fallout that accompanied it. I'm hopeful with a full year to recruit and a full year to get his system in place we'll be a much, much better team. Top 3 MWC team would be a reasonable goal imo for Year Two.

Better offer a multi year pass cause nobody that lost to duke by 49 on national television is landing a top 3 mwc worthy recruiting class. This is going to take a lot of time. This game in itself should've cost all of the admins in the athletic department their jobs. This loss falls on them. Props to Menzies for keeping the boys in the game mentally. They never gave up.

Reactions: Starky34
Mediocre. There is alot of improvement to be done to get to mediocre. Stop blaming it on the AD. Far as bad hire.Dave Rice was the worst hire ever.Those of you who insisted on him and shoved him down the rest of our throats.enjoy.He single handedly destroyed this basketball program. Nobody should have been put in the position to fire him if had any ability to coach at all..Then scheming for a extension. Joe spoiltro at time of Rices hire. "doubters will never believe where this program is headed" I admit had a clue but no idea to this extent. Good news is only one way to go from here. Maybe mm will turn things around,If not he can't do any worse.

Reactions: ThailandReb
Mediocre. There is alot of improvement to be done to get to mediocre. Stop blaming it on the AD. Far as bad hire.Dave Rice was the worst hire ever.Those of you who insisted on him and shoved him down the rest of our throats.enjoy.He single handedly destroyed this basketball program. Nobody should have been put in the position to fire him if had any ability to coach at all..Then scheming for a extension. Joe spoiltro at time of Rices hire. "doubters will never believe where this program is headed" I admit had a clue but no idea to this extent. Good news is only one way to go from here. Maybe mm will turn things around,If not he can't do any worse.

Get off it, the admins need to be canned. Top to bottom. No one fires a coach mid season. On top of that no one fires a coach mid season, gets caught napping on a coaching search, hires a one hit wonder who completely blows up the program and two weeks later leaves for his "dream job" (in Lubbock fkn Texas of all the places in the country), and then scrambles to save face and say, it's your problem now. No one that should have a job, anyway.

All I'm trying to say in a frustrated and somewhat sarcastic way is that sick of hearing dave rice gets a free pass because was fired mid season.Why a replacement wasn't in the works have no idea. At the same time js Dave Rice was equally responsible as he did not hold up his end of the bargain at all.He was on probation so to speak and everybody knew it.Now stuck in the rebuilding process a far cry from mediocre. Unlv has been this bad before just hope can return to some sort of relevancy.

Reactions: ThailandReb
We are not who we once were. It's going to be a very long road to recovery from what happened.

And whatever you think of Rice as a coach he loved UNLV. He had some big wins and some really bad losses. And yes firing him mid-season has done irreparable harm to our storied program.

Every other school loves that our knees have been hacked off so we won't get any sympathy from anyone. They will all try and crush us.

Menzies is a good hire and his staff is really really good. He will be able to recruit kids here. Look at what he did putting together this team. Who thought we would have even these players.

The best thing we can do if we all love this school is to go out and support the team no matter what because it's going to take a long time.

Krugers first two years we were something like 17-15 right. He started with full rosters. Menzies started with a bare cupboard.

49 loss to Duke was our humiliation ritual . The destruction and rebirth of the unlvmbb program. ( I hope)

MM could have taken over the exact team Rice had at the beginning of last season and he would of tanked more than Rice did (which Rice was a mess). Give MM as many passes as you want, he's a shit coach in a conference even he's outclassed in (if that's even possible). He's not gonna get better with any recruits. He was a product of being in a shit show of a league for 8 years. Blame the administration for such a mess, but if you think next year will get any better your wearing rebel goggles. Sure his record might improve but the strength of schedule will be in the shitter as nobody with any sort of substance will waste their time on us. Recruiting? Uh haha nobody is coming to us that is any good, enjoy no name players from Lithuania and Serbia because that's our only course till MM is canned

Wow, seems like a bunch of people wanted Rice fired and were thrilled when it happened. Never thought I'd see the day when people would complain about him getting fired.

Now here come the "Fire MM" posts.

MM is in a better position to recruit than Rice was. Lots of big recruits picked UNLV in the last few years and made it to the NBA. Rice came in during a time when UNLV seemed irrelevant to the big recruits, and that's changed.

As for not being able to recruit because of the results, Rice continued to recruit very well even after struggling as a head coach. MM is in his 10th year of coaching and has actually had teams that showed results. It should be easier for him to recruit. People are acting like we've never had embarrassing losses and disappointing results with Rice.

MM could have taken over the exact team Rice had at the beginning of last season and he would of tanked more than Rice did (which Rice was a mess).

Actually, MM would have put up a better roster than Rice had last season. Every year Rice would bring in a bunch of promising talent, but he also lost a bunch of talent from the previous year. IMO MM would have kept more guys from the previous years, and then added new talent. So instead of having a bunch of guys in their first year at UNLV, he would have guys in year 2, year 3, or year 4 in the program. That makes a HUGE difference.

This year will be his worst year by far because the team has started completely from scratch.

MM could have taken over the exact team Rice had at the beginning of last season and he would of tanked more than Rice did (which Rice was a mess). Give MM as many passes as you want, he's a shit coach in a conference even he's outclassed in (if that's even possible). He's not gonna get better with any recruits. He was a product of being in a shit show of a league for 8 years. Blame the administration for such a mess, but if you think next year will get any better your wearing rebel goggles. Sure his record might improve but the strength of schedule will be in the shitter as nobody with any sort of substance will waste their time on us. Recruiting? Uh haha nobody is coming to us that is any good, enjoy no name players from Lithuania and Serbia because that's our only course till MM is canned
dumb.
you have zero basketball knowledge. your stupid name is after Katin Reinhardt. you saw some highlight films and you got all hot for him thinking he was going to be all that.

In the MWC you need to have 3 and 4 year players. Experience counts and that's what Menzies is going to do. I don't think people give his staff much credit but the staff he has is very good. I think he will turn it around. He is a players coach but he also has their respect.

Unfortunately we have an administration and a meddling booster who completely screwed up that sent us back 10 years so we have a coach who wants to be here so that's that. Lots of people on here were happy Rice was fired so you got what you wanted and now you got this.

Reactions: Vegas007
Give MM as many passes as you want, he's a shit coach in a conference even he's outclassed in (if that's even possible).

Indicting Menzies after 9 games is absurd. Period. He has stepped into an impossible situation and handled it with class and enthusiasm.

We got humiliated by Duke, admittedly a bitter pill to swallow, but what did you expect? Last-minute recruits trying their best against one of the premier programs in the nation. It’ll happen again vs Kansas and probably Oregon too. So what? Apparently starting from scratch is an unfamiliar concept to some here.

Let’s, at the very least, see how conference play goes. This is not a tough league. We might do much better than the eighth-place finish which was predicted for us. And maybe we won’t. Either way, it cannot be blamed at the feet of MM. As I’ve stated in another thread, we should be eternally grateful that he agreed to take on this disaster that was left after the monumental mis-management by the school and it’s athletic department.

Our once-storied program is at it’s lowest point since Maxson and Frinfrock decided that they would dismantle it. Marvin Menzies seems to me to be the perfect coach to nurse it back towards relevance. Anyone who thought it was going to be easy or instant had very unrealistic expectations. He will have my unconditional support through this season and beyond.

Go Rebels!

images

Indicting Menzies after 9 games is absurd. Period. He has stepped into an impossible situation and handled it with class and enthusiasm.

We got humiliated by Duke, admittedly a bitter pill to swallow, but what did you expect? Last-minute recruits trying their best against one of the premier programs in the nation. It’ll happen again vs Kansas and probably Oregon too. So what? Apparently starting from scratch is an unfamiliar concept to some here.

Let’s, at the very least, see how conference play goes. This is not a tough league. We might do much better than the eighth-place finish which was predicted for us. And maybe we won’t. Either way, it cannot be blamed at the feet of MM. As I’ve stated in another thread, we should be eternally grateful that he agreed to take on this disaster that was left after the monumental mis-management by the school and it’s athletic department.

Our once-storied program is at it’s lowest point since Maxson and Frinfrock decided that they would dismantle it. Marvin Menzies seems to me to be the perfect coach to nurse it back towards relevance. Anyone who thought it was going to be easy or instant had very unrealistic expectations. He will have my unconditional support through this season and beyond.

Go Rebels!

images
I agree that it's impossible to lay this at Menzies feet.

But I think it's silly to make him out to be a martyr, as a savior... being grateful that he took this job. While a lot of people turned down the job or scoffed at the offers, I think just about any of us would be downright giddy to be offered a huge step up in jobs and pay. Just because others didn't take it doesn't mean there wouldn't have been thousands of assistants or even current heads that would have taken it in a second.

It's a dangerous job. The gap between reality and expectations, the gap our own self worth and actual budget is tremendous. Makes it a very difficult job.

But I think it's silly to make him out to be a martyr, as a savior... being grateful that he took this job.

I didn't mean to imply that he was either martyr, nor savior. I have no idea whether he will make us a relevant team on a national stage, or not, at this point.

What I was saying, and still believe, is that he is a proven coach, albeit in a lower conference, and to agree to take his step up, to a program in utter shambles, is something for which he deserves appreciation. Yes, he's making more money, but that doesn't lessen the daunting task in which he finds himself.

The obvious mistakes made by our school, in the firing and recruitment of a new coach has placed our once-storied heritage in a position where, I believe we should show gratitude towards the man who has agreed to tackle our problems. That's my only point.

images
Go Rebels!

I'm grateful to have a seemingly competent and very enthusiastic coach accept this job after the crap storm this program's been through. I'm not sure what people like this Mr. Whitemamba expect or want at this point. The only scenario I can imagine where I demand MM's resignation this season is if he's caught molesting a goat or something.

I'm grateful to have a seemingly competent and very enthusiastic coach accept this job after the crap storm this program's been through. I'm not sure what people like this Mr. Whitemamba expect or want at this point. The only scenario I can imagine where I demand MM's resignation this season is if he's caught molesting a goat or something.

What about a lobo? Would you call that one in?

There will be plenty more "Fire Menzies" posts in the next couple of years. Happens on every message board. There are always fans that hate the coach. I've even seen coaches that win multiple championships have fans bitch about how overrated he is.

I'm a UNLV alumni and I was at school during what I call the glory days through 87-91 and I am also an RAF Donor. But I am realistic unlike many of the so called fans. I get the frustration but our glory days were a very very long time ago. Regardless of our facilities and tradition we are very far behind the Blue Blood programs. We had a very short but successful run while they have had decades of success. It's time that the real fans come to grips with our situation and just start supporting the team. Go to the games and cheer on the kids. Big crowds make a major difference in the environment and entertainment of the game. The Incarnate game was the worst turnout since Krugers first year and that is exactly why we are no longer considered a top program. The fans here are truly fair weather fans. If you can't go and cheer on the team then you really are not a fan. It's not Menzies fault or the players fault we are here at this point. But unless you support this team we will always wallow at the bottom from here on out. We will never be able to win another NC without fan support. It's all about fan support.

Ride or Die with the Runnin Rebels no matter what... Victory will taste that much sweeter if we ever get back to the promise land (NCAAs). Honestly I'm still having a good time at the games and since none of my friends who have season tix want to go, I end up taking my little cousins and nephews and they love it! Rebels fans in the making :)

Well.... wanting Rice fired was one thing. How the school, admin, BOR handled it was completely different. Down right embarrassing.
Embarrassing doesn't have a lot to do with it for me. Yeah, it's a brutal look but I couldn't care less what other people think.

However, the mass destruction created by such terrible timing bugs me. Leave recruits without a coach for so long, leave players without a coach for so long, don't step up yourself as an admin to see to it that things are as cool as they could be, instead lashing out at them for being upset with such a poor process, locking them out of gyms, changing passcodes ... all that led to a big defection, and then some that remained were booted by one week Bird.... and you are left with smoldering rubbish. And now MM has to deal with that mess. Any one of us would take 800k, so it's not like poor Marv... plus he knew what he was walking into .... the joke wasn't hidden at all.... but it should make people understand the monumental task in front of him, one created by.... your lovely university leaders. AGAIN.

Ride or Die with the Runnin Rebels no matter what... Victory will taste that much sweeter if we ever get back to the promise land (NCAAs). Honestly I'm still having a good time at the games and since none of my friends who have season tix want to go, I end up taking my little cousins and nephews and they love it! Rebels fans in the making :)
Good on you. Start them young.

It wasn't just players leaving. Lots of players were leaving every year when Rice was coaching. Okay, more players left before this season, but Menzies also didn't have much time to get a roster together.

And people were thrilled when Rice was fired. The team played well at first after his firing and fans were very happy. Then when things still looked bad, people started bitching about the firing.

This is easy to say with hindsight but I wish the team had gone after Menzies earlier.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT