ADVERTISEMENT

NO WAY JOSE

Not a top 25 team.

But a pretty damn good football team..I'll take it..
I’m happy with the victory and not going to argue with how it was accomplished. However, to me a good team would have played two good halves and not allowed that touchdown drive to lose the lead less than 5 minutes at home. We all know they have room for improvement and still 6-1 so all good. AND we have an awesome kicker!

Reactions: RebelSoldat
I’m happy with the victory and not going to argue with how it was accomplished. However, to me a good team would have played two good halves and not allowed that touchdown drive to lose the lead less than 5 minutes at home. We all know they have room for improvement and still 6-1 so all good. AND we have an awesome kicker!

Because good teams never have a bad half or trail in games or have to win as time expires? Ever?

Otherwise I agree with the rest.

I'll even acknowledge the kicker part as being true.

Reactions: goraphareb
Not top 25 but neither are 40 plus P5 schools. But we are in first place in the conference for now. One game at a time. Next week is a big challenge. It's great to have a meaningful game in late October. Maybe in a year or two we can bitch about not being ranked. For now I am enjoying the victories for I haven't been able to get many of those in the last 30 years.

Can’t control a horse crap pass interference call.

Can’t control a horse crap pass interference call.

I hate blaming officiating. I think over the course of a game it all typically evens out.

But holy crap was that an awful call. To make it worse the side judge was right there and didn't call it, it was the back judge 25 yards away.

I'm also no so sure that was a catch for CSU on the sideline. His feet were down but he bobbled it and collected it when he was out of bounds...

I was cussing upstairs when they showed the replay on the jumbotron.. I’m a Christian, I’m sorry..

I hate blaming officiating. I think over the course of a game it all typically evens out.

But holy crap was that an awful call. To make it worse the side judge was right there and didn't call it, it was the back judge 25 yards away.

I'm also no so sure that was a catch for CSU on the sideline. His feet were down but he bobbled it and collected it when he was out of bounds...
The long pass play before, they missed an obvious offensive PI call too. Really didn’t think the officiating was bad overall, but 2 big plays in a row were not good. Happy to get the W.

As for where we stand. I do think we are an upper echelon MW team with a good (not using elite, haha) coach and good, young QB. Will know exactly what kind of team we have the last 5 games of the season. Don’t think any game, even Air Force, isn’t winnable, but will likely be underdogs in 3 of the last 5.

The long pass play before, they missed an obvious offensive PI call too. Really didn’t think the officiating was bad overall, but 2 big plays in a row were not good. Happy to get the W.

As for where we stand. I do think we are an upper echelon MW team with a good (not using elite, haha) coach and good, young QB. Will know exactly what kind of team we have the last 5 games of the season. Don’t think any game, even Air Force, isn’t winnable, but will likely be underdogs in 3 of the last 5.
I think that's pretty fair assessment

So do you consider Bartolo Colon a good power hitter since he knocked one out of the park?

Elite? Seriously?

You skip right over 15 superlatives lower than elite just to use that word?
We’re 6-1. Regardless of talent, opponents, conference affiliation, coaching staff, etc., our “record” hasn’t been this good since the Reagan administration.

Have fun with it!

Why argue over what elite should mean or shouldn’t mean?

Agree dogs against Fresno and Air Force for sure. Wyoming I think the line may be close depending on our results next two games. Favored vs UNM and probably SJSU.

If Rebs just hold serve that's an 8-4 season...Not sure many predicted that. Books definitely didn't.

Not top 25 but neither are 40 plus P5 schools. But we are in first place in the conference for now. One game at a time. Next week is a big challenge. It's great to have a meaningful game in late October. Maybe in a year or two we can bitch about not being ranked. For now I am enjoying the victories for I haven't been able to get many of those in the last 3
I am pretty sure its not hard to find 40 + P5 teams that LOOK better than us..

If you watch us play .....
- the "EYE TEST" ?

we are no where close to what a Top 25 team looks like.
Whenever we do get ranked - I want to feel like we are deserving of the ranking and feel like we earned it -

right now you can say we are in first place - but only someone with severe delusion could think that this team is the best in its conference.

We are benefitting from a weak early schedule. If we play like we did last night, we may not win another game this season.

This is the worst 6-1 team I have ever seen. We have a Record that is NOT indicative of our ability- It is Pure FOOLS gold. This team has holes all thru it.

WE will go bowling- but it wont be with momentum.

We should all Enjoy-

I think last nights comeback may be the HIGH point of the SEASON-

Last edited:

- the "EYE TEST" ?

Whenever we do get ranked - I want to feel like we are deserving of the ranking and feel like we earned it -

right now you can say we are in first place - but only someone with severe delusion could think that this team is the best in its conference.

We are benefitting from a weak early schedule. If we play like we did last night, we may not win another game this season.

This is the worst 6-1 team I have ever seen. We have a Record that is NOT indicative of our ability- It is Pure FOOLS gold. This team has holes all thru it.

We should all Enjoy-

"I think last nights comeback may be the HIGH point of the SEASON-"

Even if that's true, at least there is a high point.

- the "EYE TEST" ?

We should all Enjoy-

Hard to argue this.

We have plenty to do before we can go 6-6 annually let alone be top 40.
The schedule has benefited us and propped us up a lot. The defense leaves a ton to be desired and so does the offense, specifically the OL. We are bowl eligible for the first time since Hauck, does it feel good of course but to say Maiava is elite, this defense is a top unit week in week out or the offense is consistent is a huge reach. The 6-1 record is nice to see but the muscle behind it is not there yet!

Hard to argue this.

We have plenty to do before we can go 6-6 annually let alone be top 40.
The schedule has benefited us and propped us up a lot. The defense leaves a ton to be desired and so does the offense, specifically the OL. We are bowl eligible for the first time since Hauck, does it feel good of course but to say Maiava is elite, this defense is a top unit week in week out or the offense is consistent is a huge reach. The 6-1 record is nice to see but the muscle behind it is not there yet!

Reactions: bcvegaspt

I generally agree, and you have time to overcome it for the most part when during the game. They called it the very end like that sometimes it’s difficult to overcome because you run out of time. Luckily, we got it in under the wire.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1

- the "EYE TEST" ?

We should all Enjoy-

We could play like that and beat UNM. Our defense played very well in the second half. CSU is a high scoring team and they held them to 10 in the second half.

I am new to officiating and it’s definitely NOT easy; but one of the first things you are told is you “never fish in someone else’s pool.” Meaning, you don’t throw a flag if you’re not 100% sure; especially if its someone else’s area. If you do, the other guy better be throwing the flag too.

Last edited:
Not a top 25 team.

But a pretty damn good football team..I'll take it..
Ecstatic with where we are at.

I understand that no team we’ve played is above 500, ie, any good. But with (insert coach A, B, C, D) we are probably sitting at 3-4 hoping for an upset or two to be playing for something in November. We know that drill all too well.

If we understand and accept that we are one of very worst D1 programs in history and if we understand the past 10 years added to that sad reality … then how in the hell can you not be happy with 6-1 and the overall direction? And this certainly “feels” different in a large picture sense. He’s not growing on the job, he knows first hand what it takes. I’m absolutely convinced his D1 experience has made a tremendous difference in our program.

Giving into the “slow growth” philosophy by the administration or the fans is a grave disservice. Because a very dangerous assumption with allowing “slow growth” is that the coach is actually good … but just needs time … what if he sucks? Then you wasted 3-4-5 years of goodwill with fans and you distance yourself more from the important intangibles that can make or break a program ( conference affiliation, for example).

I generally agree, and you have time to overcome it for the most part when during the game. They called it the very end like that sometimes it’s difficult to overcome because you run out of time. Luckily, we got it in under the wire.

No doubt timing of a call can have the most impact on a game.

1st quarter PI not so worried about it. Same call with 2 minutes left in game could be difference.
Ecstatic with where we are at.

I understand that no team we’ve played is above 500, ie, any good. But with (insert coach A, B, C, D) we are probably sitting at 3-4 hoping for an upset or two to be playing for something in November. We know that drill all too well.

If we understand and accept that we are one of very worst D1 programs in history and if we understand the past 10 years added to that sad reality … then how in the hell can you not be happy with 6-1 and the overall direction? And this certainly “feels” different in a large picture sense. He’s not growing on the job, he knows first hand what it takes. I’m absolutely convinced his D1 experience has made a tremendous difference in our program.

Giving into the “slow growth” philosophy by the administration or the fans is a grave disservice. Because a very dangerous assumption with allowing “slow growth” is that the coach is actually good … but just needs time … what if he sucks? Then you wasted 3-4-5 years of goodwill with fans and you distance yourself more from the important intangibles that can make or break a program ( conference affiliation, for example).

I think slow growth was viable and had merit prior to the portal and change in transfer rules.

I still think with football and how big the rosters are that a coach deserves 2 years to flip it.

That said, the days of 3 and 4 year rebuilds are over..

Totally agree under Sanchez or Arroyo I'm thinking we are probably 4-3 at best.

There are still some holes to fill and areas this team could use an infusion of more talent.

But I don't think there's any question this is a well prepared well coached team.

Down this last half stretch of football, at worst case, we’ll be at 2-3.

If our worst case is 8-4, I am absolute happy. I do think Odom will find a way to take one of those three “likely” losses, and turn them into a win.

To be fair this team is heavily built by slow growth through the Arroyo era. His players are heavily included in this team's rotation and starting lineups, even with the 55 newcomers that Odom has brought in.
I'm convinced that Odom is an upgrade in nearly every way. But Arroyo was a pretty good recruiter and definitely tried to build from scratch. Odom had definitely better pieces to work with than Arroyo inherited.
I would agree to say that Odom totally flipped the team, but most of our key players are holdovers, especially on offense
Now what we do have is quality depth. Odom deserves all of that credit. So much more than years past and Odom committing to Sharing more reps to backups in practice has payed off immensely.

No doubt timing of a call can have the most impact on a game.

1st quarter PI not so worried about it. Same call with 2 minutes left in game could be difference.

I think slow growth was viable and had merit prior to the portal and change in transfer rules.

I still think with football and how big the rosters are that a coach deserves 2 years to flip it.

That said, the days of 3 and 4 year rebuilds are over..

Totally agree under Sanchez or Arroyo I'm thinking we are probably 4-3 at best.

There are still some holes to fill and areas this team could use an infusion of more talent.

But I don't think there's any question this is a well prepared well coached team.
I don’t expect immediate results, that’s unfair. I don’t know what the make/break line is. But if you are losing more than you win in year three … and it appears to be stagnant … you cut it.

I don’t expect immediate results, that’s unfair. I don’t know what the make/break line is. But if you are losing more than you win in year three … and it appears to be stagnant … you cut it.

I agree. Every job is different and let's be honest, despite being P5 Northwestern and Vandy are never winning a Natuonal Title.

So a realistic bar does exist.

I don't think it's out of the question with the new facilities, better coaching and any kind of infusion of new booster money UNLV could become a MWC title contender/favorite, and perennial bowl team. Maybe even flirt with the top 25 on a semi regular basis.

But realistically that's probably our peak barring a P5 invite.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT