ADVERTISEMENT

Nice FB recruiting write up

Slowly the recruiting is getting better, UNLV just needs that bowl season prior to the new stadium so that we can upgrade the recruiting to the level of BSU and pick up some 4* players.

In an effort to evaluate the 2018 Recruiting Class with the 2019 Recruiting Class thus far lets examine statistics to come to a conclusion.
The 2018 stats just for Defensive Line Recruits who played at UNLV are:
Tavis Malakius played in 9 games and had 7 total tackles;
Chris Manoa played in 6 games and had 2 tackles;
Dominion Ezinwa played in 2 games and had no stats;
Amani Trigging-Wright had no stats;
Tim Mosley, the highest rated of the bunch at .8255, didn't play.

Contrast those numbers with the 2 J.C. D-line recruits UNLV has signed for 2019:
Tavai Tuitasi had 45 tackles and 6 sacks in 2018 for San Fran. City Coll
Eliel Ehimare had 25 tackles and 7.5 sacks for Cabrillo Coll. in 2018.

The obvious conclusion is UNLV's D-Line recruits from 2018 didn't produce.
Some of those recruits were out of High School, and some were J.C. transfers.
You would think if the Coaching Staff thought they deserved more playing time they would have gotten it. I wouldn't give up on that group, and I would hope Mosley plays well this coming season.

I do feel that both of the D-Line commits for this class will contribute much more than the prior year's D-Line recruits did in their first year at UNLV. I also feel UNLV will add impact to that position between now and February. James Rawls would be a real good addition.

We won't get to 6 wins without a better Defensive!

Reactions: bcvegaspt
In an effort to evaluate the 2018 Recruiting Class with the 2019 Recruiting Class thus far lets examine statistics to come to a conclusion.
The 2018 stats just for Defensive Line Recruits who played at UNLV are:
Tavis Malakius played in 9 games and had 7 total tackles;
Chris Manoa played in 6 games and had 2 tackles;
Dominion Ezinwa played in 2 games and had no stats;
Amani Trigging-Wright had no stats;
Tim Mosley, the highest rated of the bunch at .8255, didn't play.

There was a third large JC DT (Montrice Johns) who signed in February along with Malakius and Ezinwa. Of the three only Malakius appeared to have any interest other than UNLV. Johns began college at NMSU as a TE, but became much larger and a DL once he transferred to JUCO. All are long shots to have much production here.

Bottom line is that that the JUCO talent is pretty much depleted by the December signing date. Most of the guys who made an impact in JC are on campus and in class at a 4-year school by January. These were the biggest bodies available, I guess.

Trigg-Wright was a project from the start and no surprise that he was red-shirted as a freshman. He is a player who is one of those underdog stories and hopefully he plays eventually, but I don't think he had any other offers.

The surprise to me was Tim Mosley not playing, since freshman can now play in 4 games and still red-shirt.

Correct me if I m wrong, but I thought Armani Trigg Wright was OL.

My bad on Trigging-Wright he is OL not DL. It indeed was Montrice Johns who was
the DL recruit, he appeared in 1 game and had no tackles. The other DL 2018 recruit for UNLV that I didn't include was Moa Heimull. He was a 3-star recruit out of Utah who apparently quit the team before the season started. Not sure what happened with him.

It is my understanding that any JC recruit that as of yet has not signed with any school is free to do so, and enroll this month at any school he is being recruited by; thereby being eligble for spring ball. So I would expect UNLV might add a few J.C. players before this semister starts.

The other DL 2018 recruit for UNLV that I didn't include was Moa Heimull. He was a 3-star recruit out of Utah who apparently quit the team before the season started. Not sure what happened with him.

Accordingto this RJ article he didnt qualify. I just googled him thinking Id see him playing JUCO and he hasnt tweeted anything since August.

Sanchez said freshman defensive back Octavian Bell of Liberty High School is trying to receive academic clearance. One other signee, defensive lineman Moa Heimuli, didn’t qualify.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sport...neman-justice-oluwaseun-making-fast-recovery/

Reactions: Sam-I-am
My bad on Trigging-Wright he is OL not DL. It indeed was Montrice Johns who was
the DL recruit, he appeared in 1 game and had no tackles. The other DL 2018 recruit for UNLV that I didn't include was Moa Heimull. He was a 3-star recruit out of Utah who apparently quit the team before the season started. Not sure what happened with him.

It is my understanding that any JC recruit that as of yet has not signed with any school is free to do so, and enroll this month at any school he is being recruited by; thereby being eligble for spring ball. So I would expect UNLV might add a few J.C. players before this semister starts.

My point on JC players was more that by the mid-December signing period nearly all of the talent is gone, and that is why not much was to be expected from the three large JC guys who were "discovered" in late January and signed in February.

This year the Rebels did really well in December (which is the critical time for JUCOs) by signing the #30 JUCO DT Ehimare and the #16 JUCO WDE Tavai Tuitasi. Not many ranked DL guys remain available. Of the few UNLV is recruiting #21 SDE James Rawls. If Rawls is among the signees in February then that will be much more significant than any of those three last winter, and that will be three guys who should make an immediate impact.

Heimuli was always a question mark. (From what I remember...) he was one of the two guys who initially didn't sign, and I'm not sure he ever signed a scholarship agreement. He had interest from Oregon State, but they backed off on him (I had assumed it was because of the coaching change). His brother was an assistant (maybe grad assistant?) at Boise State and he seemed to want to go there but never got an offer despite being "highly ranked".

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Heimuli also wanted to play for the Utes, but the interest was one sided, from what I know. I am not sure why, to be honest.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT