ADVERTISEMENT

Offer NEW QB On the Radar

Glad to see this staff determined to find a QB. It's the most important position and depth is especially vital to having a winning program. No program can afford to be as thin at the QB position as UNLV is this year and still expect optimal team production.

Rogers appears to be a solid prospect with very nice size. And if he's a natural leader type of kid then Coach Sanchez could easily create a strong offensive cast around him. UNLV has much of the offensive firepower in place, i.e. talented WRs, young RBs, incoming big O-lineman. Of course additional depth is always a work in progress. But the one primary exception is the gaping hole at the QB spot which UNLV needs to solidify.

Last edited:
He reminds me of Lagow, except with a much faster bullet. Didn't see anything in his highlights that showed his ability for a long ball, but based on how much our O line leaks, it might not be a factor. He's rough, but I think we can carve him into a great ball slinger. By the time we develop him, our O line commitments should be developed and ready to be the pocket force we need them to be.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Reminds me physically of Caleb Herring.

A couple of things I like about him. First if there is anything the University of Cal Berkley knows its QBs. They tend to churn out good QBs from that school. So if they were looking at this kid its a good thing.

The offense he ran in high school actually looked like it made him read the field a bit rather than just giving him one read with a scramble/run option.

Also looks like a kid who can beat you with his legs if he has to but prefers to make plays with his arm.

Seems to have a decent arm and a quick release.

Obvious downside is his frame which a year in the weight room would help.

This makes me wonder though.

If he is coming in as a true freshmen I wonder how this might impact the recruitment and verbal of Jack Smith. Typically you don't see two true freshmen QBs brought in the same class. More often than not its a Juco and a freshmen QB.

Last edited:
Ideally it's better to stagger the recruiting of QBs like you say, and I think once the depth is established that's how it will go forward. I think the current situation is a little unusual with there being significant question marks over the starting QB spot next year as well as the backup(s). So I think the staff has to bring in at a minimum in this recruiting class at least 1 HS (Smith) and 1 JC, but also adding 1 more (either freshman Rogers or another JC) isn't a terrible idea.

Coming in as Utah's former offensive coordinator Mike Sanford actually signed 3 freshmen QBs and 1 JC for a total of 4 QBs in his initial UNLV recruiting class with the intent to build an offense (JRob's offense was absolutely brutal his final years). Even though Sanford's lone JC prospect (Jarrod Jackson) was a bust, to Sanford's credit he did develop an offense. But he also hired 3 different bums for Defensive Coordinators. Plus he had the locker rooms working against him at the time, so...

Overall I'd be happy with 1 HS and 1 JC QB in this class, but wouldn't be opposed to having 3 QBs come in either.

2005 recruiting class

http://www.unlvrebels.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020205aac.html

Last edited:
Ideally it's better to stagger the recruiting of QBs like you say, and I think once the depth is established that's how it will go forward. I think the current situation is a little unusual with there being significant question marks over the starting QB spot next year as well as the backup(s). So I think the staff has to bring in at a minimum in this recruiting class at least 1 HS (Smith) and 1 JC, but also adding 1 more (either freshman Rogers or another JC) isn't a terrible idea.

Coming in as Utah's former offensive coordinator Mike Sanford actually signed 3 freshmen QBs and 1 JC for a total of 4 QBs in his initial UNLV recruiting class with the intent to build an offense (JRob's offense was absolutely brutal his final years). Even though Sanford's lone JC prospect (Jarrod Jackson) was a bust, to Sanford's credit he did develop an offense. But he also hired 3 different bums for Defensive Coordinators. Plus he had the locker rooms working against him at the time, so...

Overall I'd be happy with 1 HS and 1 JC QB in this class, but wouldn't be opposed to having 3 QBs come in either.

2005 recruiting class

http://www.unlvrebels.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020205aac.html
It makes total sense to flood the position considering our depth.

By the way busts everywhere are asking for an apology for your Jarrod Jackson comment.

Calling Jackson a "bust" was probably a bit harsh considering he gets credit for starting Sanford and Hauck's trend of moving starting QBs over to play safety, e.g. Jackson, Dixon, Clausen..

I remember when they first went after Jackson. He had a lot of hype surrounding him and he was putting up monster numbers in JC. He actually had a few game for the Rebels where if all you did was look at the box score it looked like he had a good day. Unfortunately the scoreboard rarely matched.

Reactions: DocRebel
Cal has a good history of teams with quarterbacks with the initials A.R. So does our quarterbacks coach.

QB Richard Lagow from Cisco College is visiting on Dec 4th according to 247 Sports.

The key is keeping him from committing to Indiana on his visit there Nov 11th.
Would love to get this kid.

Although unlikely it would be great if we had some confirmation on the practice facility in December.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT