ADVERTISEMENT

My analysis feel free to tear it apart

ricovegas

UNLV Hall of Fame
Feb 18, 2008
Sunny Southern California, Newport Beach
As we all know as the rules are now football has become a quarterback driven sport. I handicap it the same way I do baseball. The quality of pitcher determines the line, even thou there are 8 other players the pitcher is the one position that can see the same team be a -200 favorite then have a pitching change and be -120 .
Well that's what we have going on right now. Armani completion % as low as it was, was an effective quarterback highly skilled dual threat. What do we have now. A team with no offensive direction. Those of you that think Gilliam is a quality qb are nuts. I watched NM game several times and of course today's game. He's lost back there big time happy feet, poor pocket presence doesn't step up, runs into sacks, plus he locks in on receivers I do not see him go through his progressions he missed a lot of open routes. He comes to us by JC Saddleback with a 10 td to 7 int ratio that is pedestrian at best. You should have a 3-1 td to int ratio minimum at Saddleback to flourish at the next level.

Losing Armani is bigger loss than most of you realized he is the leader the alpha male at UNLV 4 competitive games with him 2 blowouts without.
We might want to forget the stretch read offense with Gilliam he is no threat to run. Running wide is not working. It's time to go back to the Tim Cornett trap plays running in-between the tackles which I think Les is very good at. We must control time of possession lets see if the guys up front are as good as they think. That is who I'm turning to come Monday when they return home you boys up front are the ones that are going to have to save the season.

Defense Skip seems to be an attacking DC a lot of man coverage we're hitting the qb but we have been snake bitten in big plays Perry who came over from ASU better get it together he is getting burned Flowers better but needs to pick it up. Man to man no easy task. I respect Skip hope he can make adjustments. It seems we went from a bend don't break defense to aggressive risk high reward defense and we're going through some pains. When were not controlling time of possession our system seems to gamble a little more.

Special teams my god that is where I would chew ass unacceptable.

Also I'm all for going back to our Bobby Huack jerseys I liked them we look like candy strippers I'm in agreement with whoever said we are scarlet and gray not red, black and white.

Lastly I have a feeling that Oblad will not be the qb people are hoping for if we continue this style of offense I see Travis Mumphrey Jr as the eventual replacement to Armani if offense stays the same and Armani remains the starter for his junior and senior year.

I'm not firing Tony S until the facilities are in place and I would allow him to lead us out in the new stadium I think he's earned it and if he fails he'll probably be the first guy to say I couldn't get it done but hopefully I've left the program in much better shape than I inherited.

Not disagreeing that special teams are awful, but Hayes Hicken is a really great punter. Not sure if he is even on scholarship or not, but he is routinely placing the ball inside the 5 yard line, we're just too incompetent to stop it there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT