ADVERTISEMENT

Most important game of the season coming up

unlv7163

UNLV Hall of Fame
Feb 26, 2004
Following a (somewhat expected) 3 game losing streak, we roll into the bye at 4-4. I think the bye comes at good time. Need to get healthily heading into a very winnable matchup on the road against San Diego St. We win this, 7-5 or even possibly 8-4 is within reach (even though Hawaii and UNR aren’t automatic). Lose this and all of the confidence that was built up over the first 5 games of the season goes out the window. We’d be looking at 5 game losing streak, with little room for error to attain a 6-6 record.

Hoping Brumfield and Robbins are healthy and we get off to quick start to rebuild some of of swagger we had following New Mexico. Reese needs to get more touches. He and Robbins are developing into a true Thunder and Lightning type of combination. Just hope the Kyle Williams injury isn’t too serious.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Just hope the Kyle Williams injury isn’t too serious.
I dont expect to see him play again this season. Mo info, but the fact that no pressure at all went on that leg as he was partially carried off... doesn't seem like the best.

But the bye to get brumfield and Robbins and hopefully Weimer back is well timed. Hope ajiake is also healthy.

Reactions: j. spilotro
I think the game vs SDSU will determine if we go bowling or not. Win this game and I think we finish 6-6 with a possibility of 7-5. If we come out on the losing end, UNR will probably be our last hope to get 5 wins. I don't think we will beat Fresno, Hawaii is playing quite a bit better an it is at their place plus if we lose to SDSU that will be 5 straight going into Hawaii, would bring up a big question on the mental position of the team. But we will beat UNR no matter if we are going in with 4, 5, 6 or 7 wins.

I think the game vs SDSU will determine if we go bowling or not. Win this game and I think we finish 6-6 with a possibility of 7-5. If we come out on the losing end, UNR will probably be our last hope to get 5 wins. I don't think we will beat Fresno, Hawaii is playing quite a bit better an it is at their place plus if we lose to SDSU that will be 5 straight going into Hawaii, would bring up a big question on the mental position of the team. But we will beat UNR no matter if we are going in with 4, 5, 6 or 7 wins.
Confidence is real factor, but we should absolutely beat Hawaii. They lost 2 a bad Colorado St team today and their only 2 wins are against a 1-3 FCS team and UNR. UNLV going UNLV though and finding a way to lose is always a possibility.

We should be 6-6 at season’s end or it’s on Arroyo!
Well yeah thats how sports work isn't it? :) coach is responsible for the outcome

This year is the first time I don't think he has done anything so headscratching that it cost us a game. We are where I thought we would be to this point in the season (going in thought Cal and SJSU were wins and UNT and USU were losses, but 4-4 nonetheless).

Can't outright blame him for potential losses we haven't seen in terms of "it was a bad play call" or "he made a stupid starting decision" or what has been consistent in his tenure prior to this season, "why would he have to call THAT timeout?" ...

So far he hasn't cost us games by making bad choices, in my opinion. If they call a great game but the OL gives up 25 sacks in 4 games or theres 9 picks on bad tips, that's not on Arroyo IMO.

I dont expect to see him play again this season. Mo info, but the fact that no pressure at all went on that leg as he was partially carried off... doesn't seem like the best.

But the bye to get brumfield and Robbins and hopefully Weimer back is well timed. Hope ajiake is also healthy.

I was at the game.

He was on the sidelines kicking over a trash can moments after they walked him off the field. Not sure what to make of it/severity of injury..

Reactions: LocoRebel
Well yeah thats how sports work isn't it? :) coach is responsible for the outcome

This year is the first time I don't think he has done anything so headscratching that it cost us a game. We are where I thought we would be to this point in the season (going in thought Cal and SJSU were wins and UNT and USU were losses, but 4-4 nonetheless).

Can't outright blame him for potential losses we haven't seen in terms of "it was a bad play call" or "he made a stupid starting decision" or what has been consistent in his tenure prior to this season, "why would he have to call THAT timeout?" ...

So far he hasn't cost us games by making bad choices, in my opinion. If they call a great game but the OL gives up 25 sacks in 4 games or theres 9 picks on bad tips, that's not on Arroyo IMO.

You needlessly just gave yourself carpal tunnel with the length of this post. You're absolutely right. I agree on all points. But It will fall on deaf ears though.

If players drop passes, it's on the coaches for not recruiting players who can catch better!

Was essentially the response I got last season in the same type of discussion.

His play calling is completely predictable and boring and he gets out coached by the SJSU, Fresno, AFA’s of the MWC. But hey I guess that’s on the players not him and his staff!

His play calling is completely predictable and boring and he gets out coached by the SJSU, Fresno, AFA’s of the MWC. But hey I guess that’s on the players not him and his staff!

This a lazy and silly take.

Guys dropping the ball is not on the coach. (Notre Dame)

Guys losing individual battles on the DL and DBs not getting off blocks is not on the coach. Guys were there to make plays and failed. (AF)

Ajike had a chance on NDs first drive to get an INT, he dropped it. Who knows what happens if he comes down with.

87 for Notre Dame made an amazing catch. DB was in the right place, the better guy won. The coach had right defensive call made. DB was there. Other guy out fought him for the ball and made a Sports Center like catch. That's not on the coach.

Do tell how his play calling is predictable. Actual examples.

See execution and play calling go hand and hand.

1st down 5 yard run...Playbook is wide open.

1st down receiver drops the ball, it's now 2nd and 10. Shrinks the playbook.

And, I know this has been a difficult concept for you to understand in the past, sometimes the other guys on the other teams make plays.

They are 4-4 about where everyone hoped or thought they would be.

'Muh play calling!'

Without examples is in the same league of silly talking points as people who say 'Next man up!' If the next guy up was as good as the guy he was replacing he'd be the starter. Some teams can absorb injury better than others because of quality depth. UNLV isn't there yet.

Another tough one to accept...Maybe just maybe SJSU and Air Force are just flat out better than UNLV at this point. Whether they should or shouldn't be is a different discussion.

Last edited:

Guys losing individual battles on the DL and DBs not getting off blocks is not on the coach. Guys were there to make plays and failed. (AF)

Ajike had a chance on NDs first drive to get an INT, he dropped it. Who knows what happens if he comes down with.

87 for Notre Dame made an amazing catch. DB was in the right place, the better guy won. The coach had right defensive call made. DB was there. Other guy out fought him for the ball and made a Sports Center like catch. That's not on the coach.

And, I know this has been a difficult concept for you to understand in the past, sometimes the other guys on the other teams make plays.

'Muh play calling!'

Without examples is in the same league of silly talking points as people who say 'Next man up!' If the next guy up was as good as the guy he was replacing he'd be the starter. Some teams can absorb injury better than others because of quality depth. UNLV isn't there yet.

Another tough one to accept...Maybe just maybe SJSU and Air Force are just flat out better than UNLV at this point. Whether they should or shouldn't be is a different discussion.
To me, some things - bad play calling being one of them, a complete lack of discipline being another (stupid penalties, too much overplay, etc) - stick out like a sore thumb.

I do think play calling might be a bit predictable bland, but not incredibly so … and I haven’t seen consistent head scratchers like we may have seen previously.

I guess it all falls under the wide umbrella of “coaching”, but good players can make bad coaches look good and bad players can make good coaches look bad.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
You know what, Tyler Bischoff pointed it out, but it didn't really occur to me at the time. After Reese got that long 70+ yard run that turned into a TD a play or two later, the next series was Bailey in at QB and was 3 n out all passing.

There are things to clean up. If that sequence was against somebody in conference, it's the kind of thing that could have snowballed. In this game? I honestly don't think that was the reason we didn't win. Like Bull said, win some of the position battles and suddenly those overall play calls aren't nearly as bad. Make a catch. Break a tackle, etc.

2022 has been far better than 2020 and 21 in my opinion.

You know what, Tyler Bischoff pointed it out, but it didn't really occur to me at the time. After Reese got that long 70+ yard run that turned into a TD a play or two later, the next series was Bailey in at QB and was 3 n out all passing.

There are things to clean up. If that sequence was against somebody in conference, it's the kind of thing that could have snowballed. In this game? I honestly don't think that was the reason we didn't win. Like Bull said, win some of the position battles and suddenly those overall play calls aren't nearly as bad. Make a catch. Break a tackle, etc.

2022 has been far better than 2020 and 21 in my opinion.

I'd have to see the replay on the TD the series before Bailey took over. Rebs ran option and I think (could be wrong) Friel took a shot on the option play they ran. May have been reason he went to Bailey next series. Handed the reigns back to Friel who was ineffective and then Back to Bailey, who played pretty well.

Reactions: reagan21
To me, some things - bad play calling being one of them, a complete lack of discipline being another (stupid penalties, too much overplay, etc) - stick out like a sore thumb.

I do think play calling might be a bit predictable bland, but not incredibly so … and I haven’t seen consistent head scratchers like we may have seen previously.

I guess it all falls under the wide umbrella of “coaching”, but good players can make bad coaches look good and bad players can make good coaches look bad.

The guy helping Arroyo call plays has NFL experience. (Not as an OC but NFL nonetheless) We went from a thread of is the offense too complicated to play calling is predictable....

I don't think the play calling has been predictable. They run a multitude of different route combinations. They mix up the pass and run pretty well.

Robinson...Now that was predictable (especially after Thomas got hurt). If it was 3rd and 8+ you could damn near bet the rent it was QB draw..

Execution and play calling feed off each other. Take Reece's first big run. Coaches called the right play based on what Notre Dame had been showing them. OL blocked it right, receivers locked up DBs and Reece made a great run. A WR holds his block a split second less, or an OL doesn't get a chip on a LB at the 2nd level that play may only go for 10 or 15 yards instead the 70?

Flipside an OC can dial up a screen vs the blitz. Perfectly timed...And an opposing DB gets off a block and disrupts a play for a 3 yard loss that probably goes for 15 or 20...

Because a play doesn't work doesn't always mean it was the wrong call.

On the other hand take Dalton Sneed's 90 yard TD run. Pretty sure that was more individual effort and the planets aligning than anything to do with play calling..

Like I said, super fine line.

'Muh play calling!'

Where did I say anything about the Norte Dame game? I didn’t even watch that game, I mentioned the teams that Arroyo gets his butt handed to him as head coach. He does not fair well against the top MWC teams and you know it. Another thing, I don’t care if you agree so save your commentary dude! You can guzzle down the Scarlett Kool aid all you want but he is not a good head coach in my opinion. He’s the Dave Rice of UNLV football, recruits a few guys here and there but can’t coach his way out of freaking paper sack!

Where did I say anything about the Norte Dame game? I didn’t even watch that game, I mentioned the teams that Arroyo gets his butt handed to him as head coach. He does not fair well against the top MWC teams and you know it. Another thing, I don’t care if you agree so save your commentary dude! You can guzzle down the Scarlett Kool aid all you want but he is not a good head coach in my opinion. He’s the Dave Rice of UNLV football, recruits a few guys here and there but can’t coach his way out of freaking paper sack!

Nobody is drinking Kool-Aid of any kind.

You can use as many exclamation points as you like it doesn't strengthen your position. I never said you said anything about Notre Dame. I used Notre Dame game to provide context of where players not executing was a bigger issue than play calling...

If Arroyo fails to make a bowl after a 4-1 start his seat should absolutely be hot.

As for Rice...Rice was a great recruiter. I don't think he was even a bad coach in terms of X's and O's.

He was poor at roster construction and managing egos. The parts were better than the whole...

Arroyo has to get to bowl eligibility..4-8 would be a cataclysmic failure after a 4-1 start. 5-7 would also be pretty bad especially if he loses to Reno to miss out on bowl eligibility.

Again how is his offense predictable? Is he predictable on 3rd downs? Are they continually running the same route combinations? Are they running particular plays with certain personnel groups and tipping their hands?

Last edited:
Because Arroyo is putting his guys in the NBA …. Because Arroyo is beating ranked teams … because Arroyo is getting ranked …. Because Arroyo is getting national attention … because Arroyo is making significant post season … because Arroyo is winning over 60% of games … because Arroyo is out planning/out preparing some top coaches … because Arroyo is the 3rd winningest coach at UNLV …

there are somethings to point to for being possibly ill prepared.

We have had a poor start nearly every game. Sure those things happen, but being outsocere 100- 10 in the first greater or whatever it is means something. Is it early play scripting? Is it poor initial gameplanning, is it players not feeling enough urgency until being hit in the mouth?

On the flip side, the success we have had this season has come from adjustments in game and the team fighting back. The staff and players do deserve credit there.

I couldn't watch this last game, so I can't speak for that.

As for playcalling, I think it has been pretty good this year. I think that Arroyo has not always had the personnel to run what he wants to do, this year has been the closest when healthy. When it is clicking, it really moves. But it can stagnate often, and become ineffective at times when you think that it should be rolling. There are times you'd think the defense would be tired and we have the size advantage with a power back, and can't run.

But both the SJSU and AFA games did bother me. I full accept that they are better teams, but they just abused us. We couldn't slow them down, let alone stop them. Sure we've had injuries, but mostly offensively. Not having a chance to prevent both teams from doing whatever they wanted stung.

Both are legit good teams (for the MW), but lesser teams have faired much better. Call it coaching call it execution, but it was bad and both elements deserve criticism.

It stings a little more, since there has been legit progress this season. And with a extremly down conference, we had a window to having some real success in this league. We couldn't take advantage.

As for the Rice comparison, there is at least some merit there. Sure Rice accomplished more. But the general idea that we are losing games where we have an arguable talent advantage rings true. There has been a lot of talk about "how good we look getting off the bus". Last time I heard that was with Rice.

As for the Rice comparison, there is at least some merit there. Sure Rice accomplished more. But the general idea that we are losing games where we have an arguable talent advantage rings true. There has been a lot of talk about "how good we look getting off the bus". Last time I heard that was with Rice.
Well, you can string a tiny thread of something between any coaches if you look hard enough … I mean we can say Menzies is a good coach because of what he did at NMSU or that he develops bigs as well as Kruger because of that kid he had at NMSU. Or we can say there are similarities between Otz and Tark because Otz’s teams scored more than many of our teams …
Menzies was better than Rice because he retained players better … Spoon was as good as Tark with Juco players … you can draw some merit with many, many things.

Arroyo is winning what, 25% of his games? How is that strong recruiting translating?

If we are going to say Rice underachieved like Arroyo … ok … but an underachievement with Rice’s overall performance was far better than underachievement with Arroyo and better than overachievement with Otz or Kevin last year.

It’s easy to skew things and call it merit.

Well, you can string a tiny thread of something between any coaches if you look hard enough … I mean we can say Menzies is a good coach because of what he did at NMSU or that he develops bigs as well as Kruger because of that kid he had at NMSU. Or we can say there are similarities between Otz and Tark because Otz’s teams scored more than many of our teams …
Menzies was better than Rice because he retained players better … Spoon was as good as Tark with Juco players … you can draw some merit with many, many things.

Arroyo is winning what, 25% of his games? How is that strong recruiting translating?

If we are going to say Rice underachieved like Arroyo … ok … but an underachievement with Rice’s overall performance was far better than underachievement with Arroyo and better than overachievement with Otz or Kevin last year.

It’s easy to skew things and call it merit.
2 things. I agree that it is very hard to compare football and basketball.

First 130 vs 350 teams in the same division. You are going against a full schedule of top 120 teams every week in football, (save a lower division oppoent). While in basketball a tough schedule in this conference for the year is maybe 40% of that.

Also Inidivual players can easily make more impact in basketball. Also depth is not as important. Sure both sports have their injuries, but football is much, much more frequent. There is also more general wear over an individual game, so needing more guys in game is much more important. You get away with a solid 8 man rotation in basketball and 1 player can make a huge difference. For football that really has to be a QB, and even so he won't succeed withou some decent talent around him.

That being said, having more talent than the other team and losing. That is one place where you can compare.
And this year is the first year I can remember saying that we have more talent in football than other conference teams, at more than half of the teams.

This is scoring, this isn't records at other schools. This is success at UNLV in the MW.

And I wouldn't say Arroyo is underachieving just yet. he's had some disappointing games for sure, but he is still ahead of schedule for this season. I think most thought 5 or 6 wins this season.

Also we can all have opinions on how his first year was handled. Should the games be held against Arroyo or not?

But you can safely assume that Arroyo was not terribly concerned about amassing wins that season. He wasn't throwing games by any means, but his priority seemed to be instilling his offense, building culture etc.

2 things. I agree that it is very hard to compare football and basketball.

First 130 vs 350 teams in the same division. You are going against a full schedule of top 120 teams every week in football, (save a lower division oppoent). While in basketball a tough schedule in this conference for the year is maybe 40% of that.

Also Inidivual players can easily make more impact in basketball. Also depth is not as important. Sure both sports have their injuries, but football is much, much more frequent. There is also more general wear over an individual game, so needing more guys in game is much more important. You get away with a solid 8 man rotation in basketball and 1 player can make a huge difference. For football that really has to be a QB, and even so he won't succeed withou some decent talent around him.

That being said, having more talent than the other team and losing. That is one place where you can compare.
And this year is the first year I can remember saying that we have more talent in football than other conference teams, at more than half of the teams.

This is scoring, this isn't records at other schools. This is success at UNLV in the MW.

And I wouldn't say Arroyo is underachieving just yet. he's had some disappointing games for sure, but he is still ahead of schedule for this season. I think most thought 5 or 6 wins this season.

Also we can all have opinions on how his first year was handled. Should the games be held against Arroyo or not?

But you can safely assume that Arroyo was not terribly concerned about amassing wins that season. He wasn't throwing games by any means, but his priority seemed to be instilling his offense, building culture etc.
I don’t count the Covid year for or against anybody … it was a throwaway as far as I’m concerned …

I don’t count the Covid year for or against anybody … it was a throwaway as far as I’m concerned …

Agreed. I don't like going 0-6 obviously, but with how convoluted things were, hard for me to hold that season over his head. If the opposite had happened and UNLV won the conference going 5-1 it would still feel like there was an asterisk by it..

Agreed. I don't like going 0-6 obviously, but with how convoluted things were, hard for me to hold that season over his head. If the opposite had happened and UNLV won the conference going 5-1 it would still feel like there was an asterisk by it..
Yeah, asterisk good, bad or mediocre. That’s just not a normal season. Way too uneven and convoluted, too many surprises. Adults have a hard time with instability, throw it at teens … just not fair.

Yeah, asterisk good, bad or mediocre. That’s just not a normal season. Way too uneven and convoluted, too many surprises. Adults have a hard time with instability, throw it at teens … just not fair.

I mean guys were set to play and then Friday comes around you get a contact trace and suddenly five guys are out.

Arroyo absolutely has to get to 6 wins this year. Early schedule was 50/50. Middle was difficult. End with bad Hawaii and Reno squads, an offensively inept (even by their standards) SDSU team. He should be able to go 2-1 at minimum against that if not 3-0. Fresno will be tough. 6-6 with bowl eligibility should be considered progress. It will still feel a little disappointing after a 4-1 start but progress nonetheless. 7-5 would be definitely a step in right direction.

Reactions: j. spilotro
The team is where it is because of a team effort including players & coaching. We are further ahead than preseason predictions at 4 - 8. Optimism got out of hand at 4 - 1. At 4 - 4 coach is now on a warm seat? 6 - 6 is very doable. 7 - 5 would be great. 5 - 7 would be not no good. The bye week is a blessing. Get everyone back and get some snaps. It will be interesting....

The team is where it is because of a team effort including players & coaching. We are further ahead than preseason predictions at 4 - 8. Optimism got out of hand at 4 - 1. At 4 - 4 coach is now on a warm seat? 6 - 6 is very doable. 7 - 5 would be great. 5 - 7 would be not no good. The bye week is a blessing. Get everyone back and get some snaps. It will be interesting....

It's the effect of recency bias. 4-1 its conference title and Arroyo is getting poached!

Lose three straight and he's back to being garbage again.

Go 2 and 2 down the stretch and get a bowl invite most will be forgiven again.

Nobody is drinking Kool-Aid of any kind.

You can use as many exclamation points as you like it doesn't strengthen your position. I never said you said anything about Notre Dame. I used Notre Dame game to provide context of where players not executing was a bigger issue than play calling...

If Arroyo fails to make a bowl after a 4-1 start his seat should absolutely be hot.

As for Rice...Rice was a great recruiter. I don't think he was even a bad coach in terms of X's and O's.

He was poor at roster construction and managing egos. The parts were better than the whole...

Arroyo has to get to bowl eligibility..4-8 would be a cataclysmic failure after a 4-1 start. 5-7 would also be pretty bad especially if he loses to Reno to miss out on bowl eligibility.

Again how is his offense predictable? Is he predictable on 3rd downs? Are they continually running the same route combinations? Are they running particular plays with certain personnel groups and tipping their hands?

The coaches have 1 and sometimes 2 weeks to prepare for an opponent and the team comes out with no plan or the wrong plan. Cal was the first example with how bad they looked the first quarter off of two weeks prep. San Jose St and AF were particularly head scratching. What did the coaches do all week when they were supposed to be game planning for a win? I wish they would have know that they needed to stop the SJSU QB from running at will. I wish they would have known that AF was going to run the ball 95% of the time. The preparation has been bad.

The coaches have 1 and sometimes 2 weeks to prepare for an opponent and the team comes out with no plan or the wrong plan. Cal was the first example with how bad they looked the first quarter off of two weeks prep. San Jose St and AF were particularly head scratching. What did the coaches do all week when they were supposed to be game planning for a win? I wish they would have know that they needed to stop the SJSU QB from running at will. I wish they would have known that AF was going to run the ball 95% of the time. The preparation has been bad.
I’m sure they knew AFA was going to run it that often and I’m sure they prepared for exactly that. That they couldn’t stop it, to me, shows yet another year of a complete lack of execution on the defensive side.

A lot of people called out the potential for exactly they to happen. And it did.

I’m sure they knew AFA was going to run it that often and I’m sure they prepared for exactly that. That they couldn’t stop it, to me, shows yet another year of a complete lack of execution on the defensive side.

A lot of people called out the potential for exactly they to happen. And it did.

Defensive adjustments were great 1st 5 weeks. Especially after halftime.

Since then...There have been issues. Some of that is the offense struggling to move the ball. Injury on the defensive side has played a role. But it hasn't looked great of late. Some has been opponents.

Have to hope the bye week gets them back to full health.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Defensive adjustments were great 1st 5 weeks. Especially after halftime.

Since then...There have been issues. Some of that is the offense struggling to move the ball. Injury on the defensive side has played a role. But it hasn't looked great of late. Some has been opponents.

Have to hope the bye week gets them back to full health.
I’M THINKING EXCESSIVE EXCLAMATION POINTS AND ALL CAPS SHOULD LEAD TO A PERMANENT BAN!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT