ADVERTISEMENT

Merry Flipmas!

What's the get here? I suspect he fits the GoGo well which is why AF looked good for him with their running system, but is he going to play QB, WR? Rb? Flex? Defense?
He will probably get time in camp as a gadget player. I heard that he is the direct replacement for losing Rogers. Once Rogers told the staff he was taking the Purdue visit, they went all in on this kid.

I will wait and see, but on average Air Force recruits tend to be lower rated players with few offers. Great coaching at Air Force is how they win not great recruits.

I love the Rebels and want the best recruits we can get. But I'd counsel any young man to jump at the chance to go to a U.S. Military Academy.
I understand what you are saying. However, many people dont want to serve and have a rigorous academic schedule on top of football. Cant fault a kid for wanting and not wanting certain things.

I love the Rebels and want the best recruits we can get. But I'd counsel any young man to jump at the chance to go to a U.S. Military Academy.

My father's a West Point Grad.

But it's not for everyone.

I can see somebody looking at that daily schedule and then the four year minimum commitment after and having second thoughts.

His measurables look like he'll be a utility player. He's super small at 5'9" 160, so I don't know that he's a Div I quarterback. However, guy looks to have GoGo QB written all over him. Throws a nice deep ball, has great balance and a ton of moves with good stop and acceleration. Consistently beats guys who should have an angle on him and his size lets him get to the second level like a tiny ninja.

He could really be a slash type player for us though. Play some slot WR, maybe a little HB, and occasionally line up in as a wildcat QB who can actually chuck the ball downfield.

I understand what you are saying. However, many people dont want to serve and have a rigorous academic schedule on top of football. Cant fault a kid for wanting and not wanting certain things.
Also, remember the after college graduation service requirement.

Air Force recruit doesn’t super excite me in terms of talent.

What I do like is there a ton of guys we got offered by military or high academic schools.

This tells me coach is brining in a culture.

He’s creating depth and I guy is good at one thing that’s what they’ll do. The patriot way

Last edited:
My father's a West Point Grad.

But it's not for everyone.

I can see somebody looking at that daily schedule and then the four year minimum commitment after and having second thoughts.

One of my wife’s employees son plays FB at West Point right now, just a brutal schedule. His plan after graduation is law school. The options he will have as far as law schools is incredible. At his age my biggest decisions I was making was whether or not to blow off morning classes and which bar I was going to hit later that night. It has worked out for me just fine but I wasn’t ready back then to do what these kids at West Point do or have my adult life planned out by the age of 18.

One of my wife’s employees son plays FB at West Point right now, just a brutal schedule. His plan after graduation is law school. The options he will have as far as law schools is incredible. At his age my biggest decisions I was making was whether or not to blow off morning classes and which bar I was going to hit later that night. It has worked out for me just fine but I wasn’t ready back then to do what these kids at West Point do or have my adult life planned out by the age of 18.
Yeah, and the service academies don't offer degrees in University Studies. In addition to having brutal academic schedules they also have military training/combat exercises/unit exercises and on top of that they have to perform some mess duties, keep a clean room and keep all their kit inspection ready.

I honestly don't know how they do it.

Yeah, and the service academies don't offer degrees in University Studies. In addition to having brutal academic schedules they also have military training/combat exercises/unit exercises and on top of that they have to perform some mess duties, keep a clean room and keep all their kit inspection ready.

I honestly don't know how they do it.
They have a different level of drive than your average dude... Me included

Tell him not to go to law school, or get a JD/MBA and then never practice law. There’s still hope for him.

His measurables look like he'll be a utility player. He's super small at 5'9" 160, so I don't know that he's a Div I quarterback. However, guy looks to have GoGo QB written all over him. Throws a nice deep ball, has great balance and a ton of moves with good stop and acceleration. Consistently beats guys who should have an angle on him and his size lets him get to the second level like a tiny ninja.

He could really be a slash type player for us though. Play some slot WR, maybe a little HB, and occasionally line up in as a wildcat QB who can actually chuck the ball downfield.
I am glad we got him. I am tired of getting whupped by AFA

Helll no..come here, play..graduate and do OCS…

And spell correctly

What this staff is doing right now on the recruiting trail is very impressive. Wait until they have more than just a few weeks and see what they can do next signing class.
What sucks is that UNLV is measly a stepping stone for anyonetaking the job. If any coach/staff succeeds here, they will bolt to another university so fast.

Think Meeks and Rogers got NIL money. They both filled too quick. Oh well. Hopefully UNLV can come up with a package for those situations, if not it is what it is. Always been easy to fill WR. Our OC brought in some big WR recruits at Texas. Maybe he can convert one down the road.

Think Meeks and Rogers got NIL money. They both filled too quick. Oh well. Hopefully UNLV can come up with a package for those situations, if not it is what it is. Always been easy to fill WR. Our OC brought in some big WR recruits at Texas. Maybe he can convert one down the road.
I'll be the one to break this news. Meeks was posting his highlight tape and tagging other coaches DURING his visit to UNLV and seemed disengaged.

Rogers was a wobbler from the beginning. Seemed like he was just committing to any school that would take him.

I'll be the one to break this news. Meeks was posting his highlight tape and tagging other coaches DURING his visit to UNLV and seemed disengaged.

Rogers was a wobbler from the beginning. Seemed like he was just committing to any school that would take him.

Really looking forward to the 2024 class. Something tells me that we will surprise a lot of people with our recruiting and we may have a good chance at a 4 star player.

We really don’t know it has never happened
People act like a our first lower tier bowl game and our coach will get snatched right up.

It will take multiple years of success ( winning record, bowl game). for it to realistically happen.

Sure if we go undefeated and win the MW sure, it could be sooner.

But think of what it took to lure other MW coaches away. Really significant winning or long periods, reaching big bowl games, or both.

And in 2 cases the team went P6 before the coach got purged (not counting Urban Meyer)

But if the coach is poached then the program will be in a much better spot. The coaching candidate pool will be bigger (especially setting the precedent of highest paid in the MW), and we will more likely get another solid coach with a decent roster to continue.

People act like a our first lower tier bowl game and our coach will get snatched right up.

It will take multiple years of success ( winning record, bowl game). for it to realistically happen.

But think of what it took to lure other MW coaches away. Really significant winning or long periods, reaching big bowl games, or both.

And in 2 cases the team went P6 before the coach got purged (not counting Urban Meyer)

But if the coach is poached then the program will be in a much better spot. The coaching candidate pool will be bigger (especially setting the precedent of highest paid in the MW), and we will more likely get another solid coach with a decent roster to continue.
I remember how many people posted about losing Arroyo after he started off at 4-1, look what happened to him! If a school like boise state can keep coaches multiple years who win 9+ games every year, I think UNLV doesn't need to worry about losing a coach because they have one or two good seasons!

I remember how many people posted about losing Arroyo after he started off at 4-1, look what happened to him! If a school like boise state can keep coaches multiple years who win 9+ games every year, I think UNLV doesn't need to worry about losing a coach because they have one or two good seasons!
A continuation of success is a little easier to maintain then resurrection of a corpse. Agreed? Allegiant starts rocking we better be in the Power conference or we will lose whoever coach we have.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

Agreed completely with this, also add in the fact the Odom is a retread. He’s already been fired from a P5 program which happened to be his alma mater. For a program to pick him up he’s going to have to show he can really build a program and if he does that for us we will be in a great position moving forward regardless.

Heck by that time we just may very well be in a P5 ourselves.

Got to Stop looking at mediocrity as the bar for where the program is so our coach doesn't get poached. This staff with the $$ and the recruits are not here to just make some bowl game and bounce back to the next P5 job that comes calling, that was Arroyo's role. They're here to win 9-10 games next year and follow that up the following season. Thats enough to solidify the P5 invite. They'll bounce back to the Midwest/SEC jobs and that's fine, we'll be able to grab a good coach as a follow up.

Its not about just making bowl games with this staff and administration. Staff's a rental. Enjoy the next 2 seasons and what winning feels like. Its easier to continue winning than it is to sell a rebuild to the next guy

I am personally fine if a school like Georgia or Alabama poach Odom after a few years of UNLV success. That means we’ve probably already gone to and won a couple of bowl games.

If he has that level of success; then it was a fun ride and I have no complaints. We’ll be in a good spot for the next coach. If he strings and wins a few bowl games in a row, we may as well rename the practice facility after him.

Got to Stop looking at mediocrity as the bar for where the program is so our coach doesn't get poached. This staff with the $$ and the recruits are not here to just make some bowl game and bounce back to the next P5 job that comes calling, that was Arroyo's role. They're here to win 9-10 games next year and follow that up the following season. Thats enough to solidify the P5 invite. They'll bounce back to the Midwest/SEC jobs and that's fine, we'll be able to grab a good coach as a follow up.

Its not about just making bowl games with this staff and administration. Staff's a rental. Enjoy the next 2 seasons and what winning feels like. Its easier to continue winning than it is to sell a rebuild to the next guy
Sure I can see assistants coordinators leaving within a year or 2,

But for Odom to leave we would have to be in a NY 6 game or making the playoff in the next 2 seasons.

I'm going out on a limb here and say, that ain't happening.

If we go 6-6 the next 3 years, that would be a remarkable improvement on what we have had around here since 2013. I hope they win more but bowl eligible has a very nice ring to it!

I dont see Odom leaving within the next few years. Marion will be gone this time next year.
hope he stick around. He seems to genuinely like Vegas. Would not be a bad place to establish some roots. Great weather, great schools for his kids, great place to meet some hot ladies if he doesn't have anyone.

Oh hell no, not me, my father.

Wasn't for me..
Looking back. About 30 years ago, the finest girl in my high school was this chich with the biggest breast I have ever seen. She would come to me whenever I look at her. I didn't befriend her because she was in the ROTC. Dont be like me, Bull.

Reactions: RebelScrub
Counting our chickens way too soon..

Holy crap.
Or reading the room...

AD wants P5. Knows its only way to keep relevance in sport landscape. Those moves happen in next couple years. Only thing holding UNLV back is its major athletics programs particularly the future bellwether Football having success. You fire Arroyo because even though he mightve gotten you 6 or 7 wins next year thats not good enough. You hire a still young former SEC coach with 0 ties to the West and a bunch of hot coordinators (Petrino first, Marrion 2nd, and the DC thats going to be a riser, The experience of the remainder of staff) to take you past that- 9/10 wins year 1, maybe a MWC title, and then follow that up with a similar result and a title the following season. You sell 40k seats or better at Allegiant in year 2... Thats why this staff is here. They arent here to just get a to bowl game. Cant be afraid to hold the program to higher goals

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT