ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Davis talks Raiders and Vegas, the stadium, and those who may be involved

Galaxius

6th man
Feb 2, 2016
Cupertino, CA
A friend of mine posted this podcast in which Mark Davis (owner of the Raiders) spoke with Tim Kawakami (who is a well-known sports writer for the San Jose Mercury News) about the Raiders and their involvement with Vegas. Definitely a candid interview as Davis talks about who he met with while here. We knew he was meeting with UNLV and Adelson but he also mentioned he met with Steve Wynn and Lorenzo Ferttita. It's in the first 5 or 6 minutes if you want to give that part a listen.

From that same friend he's saying that Adelson is determined to get this actually built. That does make me nervous because what would that mean in terms of revenue for UNLV? Would he be donating the money or is this stadium going to be his? Also seems like Oakland is having general issues with figuring out any sort of plan for the Raiders so maybe this is the breaking point?

Regardless link is worth a listen http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2016/02/01/oakland-raiders-owner-mark-davis/.

Please. Adelson donating $320 million to UNLV. When Adelson lays out that kind of cash he wants control. Complete control.

Please. Adelson donating $320 million to UNLV. When Adelson lays out that kind of cash he wants control. Complete control.
It depends where the other funds come from, and who gets the other money from operating it. If the stadium costs $1B, and he's in for 1/3, that leave 2/3 ownership to someone else. Is that UNLV? Some other investors? Hard to say at this point how the details would work out on it.

RJ article:
http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports...mark-davis-says-brand-would-do-well-las-vegas
Biggest part of the article for me:

"I think Las Vegas is coming along," he said. "I don't know if the environment is correct for the National Football League or not. That's for the other (31) owners to decide."
However, Davis said the "the Raider brand would do well there." The NFL circulated a memo late Friday that the league would consider all cities as possible relocation sites.

Sands officials, who announced the stadium proposal Thursday, said they will build the facility with or without the involvement of an NFL team.

That's really all I need to know... It's going to/has to happen. The numbers will certainly get worked out to make everyone ~ happy - It's to big of an asset for this valley not to happen.

They can't build it with or without the Raiders unless they decide to go heavy in private funding. 800 million in public funding, no matter the source, will ever be approved.
The Las Vegas Convention Center just bought the Riviera and is slated to expand which mean they won't be diverting dollars until that project is complete if the decide to at all.
This is also UNLV land that that the university has bought and it is slated for the expansion of the UNLV student experience beyond UNLV football.
Its in the path of the airport as well which limits the size of any stadium project. The 60,000 seat stadium originally considered would have required the shuffling of athletic facilities on campus to build the stadium where Rebel Park is located because a stadium that size can't be built on the corner of Koval without falling into conflict.
These people are pulling your leg. This is similiar to the large farris wheel that sits on the corner across from Mandalay, but at least they broke ground before leaving the South strip eyesore.

It's not going to be on the corner of Kovall. The projected site is not in the flight path. Thanks for playing Will.

It wouldn't be Rebel-net if willlevi wasnt here to try and damper everyones expectations. Almost as if, if its good for UNLV, will is against it.

The 45,000 seat stadium for 423 million is the better option IMO.
Half the price with plenty of room for events and is is planned to be built around developing the UNLV student experience.

I'm with will on this one. ..a smaller stadium at half the price and full unlv control, plus more university stuff. Nearly all the events previously mentioned could still be held there. Las Vegas will NOT be getting an NFL team...not in our lifetime. The NFL's reputation, regardless how tarnished we can see it is, will keep them from putting a team here.

In the past the NFL would have said "He'll no!," right away. Haven't heard the NFL say no!

49 million people passed through Vegas last year, It's only 8 games and this town loves the NFL. Just feels like a great fit and a winner, winner chicken dinner!!!

Superbowl 61 in Las Vegas??????

The 45,000 seat stadium for 423 million is the better option IMO.....
I strongly disagree. Posts like that make me wonder if the poster is really a fan of another team that just wants to keep the Rebels down. If we ever want to get into a Power 5 Conference like the PAC 12 or even the Big 12, then we need a stadium that fits into those conferences. Utah currently has the smallest PAC 12 Stadium at 45,800 but they need to meet the conference demands of expanding it to between 55,000 to 60,000 in three years or face being dropped. We can't start at a level below where Utah is right now while facing being dropped.

This is Las Vegas for God's sake. We build big and we build the best. We know better than anyone that this is how it's done. Maybe we can't build "The Big House", and we shouldn't, but our local stadium better be on the level of a mansion rather than a track home.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT