ADVERTISEMENT

Marion versus Petrino

bcvegaspt

Bench warmer
Staff
Feb 26, 2005
Twelfth seat if I'm lucky
We are ranked about 21 spots higher in yards per game versus TAMU and about 22 spots higher in points per game. I would never have thought that we would have upgraded once Petrino bailed.

Reactions: VegasKC SDM
We are ranked about 21 spots higher in yards per game versus TAMU and about 22 spots higher in points per game. I would never have thought that we would have upgraded once Petrino bailed.

Granted, there's a bit of a difference in quality of opponent vs. Texas A&M. They've played Miami, Auburn, Arkansas, Alabama and Tennessee, in addition to New Mexico and UL Monroe. Much tougher defenses than what we've faced.

It's great that we've been successful so far, but I'm really curious to see how we do against the better defenses in our league like Wyoming and Air Force. Fresno's defense has been hit or miss. Seemed pretty solid until giving up 32 to Utah State last week.

I think the misdirection, uniqueness of Marion's offense has helped a ton.

Petrino is an excellent offensive coordinator. Good feel for when to call plays.

I think Petrino would have done well here, but I honestly think the unique nature of Marion's offense has made UNLV tougher to scout.

Petrino is better at game planning, what to call in a certain situation, and what changes to make pre-snap/post-huddle.

Marion is better at disguising the play he wants to run on the next play. He has like 12 different formations to run a dive. Add in different motion sequences and there are like 18 ways to run a dive, stretch, sweep, etc.

We had to have run off tackle 25 times on Saturday but the play was run in 2 TE formations, 2 in the backfield, empty set with motion, trips with one back…

Marion makes the front 7 think a lot. I’d love to see more play action out of those sets. I felt we made it overly easy on CSU, but I bet we see more wrinkles this Saturday. Every week a new layer is peeled back

Petrino is better at game planning, what to call in a certain situation, and what changes to make pre-snap/post-huddle.

Marion is better at disguising the play he wants to run on the next play. He has like 12 different formations to run a dive. Add in different motion sequences and there are like 18 ways to run a dive, stretch, sweep, etc.

We had to have run off tackle 25 times on Saturday but the play was run in 2 TE formations, 2 in the backfield, empty set with motion, trips with one back…

Marion makes the front 7 think a lot. I’d love to see more play action out of those sets. I felt we made it overly easy on CSU, but I bet we see more wrinkles this Saturday. Every week a new layer is peeled back
So Arroyo's offense was too difficult for college kids to grasp but Marion's 200 different ways to run a dive is easy? I think that our OC is more effective at instilling his plan than the former coach was.

So Arroyo's offense was too difficult for college kids to grasp but Marion's 200 different ways to run a dive is easy? I think that our OC is more effective at instilling his plan than the former coach was.
I think both are correct.

I think with Arroyo, especially last year, it was an NFL level offense. Asking college kids to do that was a bit much.

At the same time Marion as been pretty deliberate in instilling this offense slowly adding wrinkles over the season, something it never felt that Arroyo did.

Also this offense is just better, at least at the college level, so there is that :)

Accountability can make a difference. This isn’t rocket science. The most complicated isn’t some guru quantum physics shit.

Arroyos offense wasnt to complicated.. he just wasn't good at game management and play calling together. He constantly missed the moment with play calling and the amount of 1 score losses reflects that...

1 shining example of this was last year we were down a TD I think at home late and he kicks a FG with about 2 minutes remaining and we never got the ball back... that was after a long drive were we ran clock... If I recall, it definitely felt like he didn't understand the score

I don’t think either are easy offenses, but one was difficult for difficult’s sake…and the other is difficult for defenses to decipher.

So many of Arroyo’s passing plays took too long to develop. If you blitzed and made the QB get rid of the ball before he wanted to, we couldn’t move the ball consistently, plus his clock management was atrocious

I don’t think either are easy offenses, but one was difficult for difficult’s sake…and the other is difficult for defenses to decipher.

So many of Arroyo’s passing plays took too long to develop. If you blitzed and made the QB get rid of the ball before he wanted to, we couldn’t move the ball consistently, plus his clock management was atrocious

Can't count how many times I thought 'It's third and 8 man, not third and 28'

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT