ADVERTISEMENT

Line 'em up - SJSU Predictions

LasVegasReb

All American
Feb 16, 2005
Bellevue, WA
I think this game poses a significant challenge for UNLV. Not bigger than Northern Illinois, Michigan or UCLA. But UNLV is without starting quarterback Blake Decker and SJSU is a strong team with #2 runningback in the country. SJSU has played a decent schedule prepping them for conference including a good showing in an Auburn loss.

SJSU rush defense has given up some decent numbers on the ground with Oregon State gaining 303 yards, AFA 428 yards (only 24 passing yards) and Auburn 234 yards. I think the key to UNLV being successful on the ground will purely depend on the arm of Palandech. He will need to find at least a modecum of passing success to give the UNLV run game a chance.

The wild card here is if UNLV decides to implement a more option based attack. We've seen it in a couple plays with Palandech this year so it could be some thing UNLV rolls out for Palandech. AFA are the kings of the option and had success against SJSU racking up more than 428 yards. UNLV shouldn't expect that kind of success with it but it could reduce the need for Palandech to throw the ball and take advantage of his rushing ability.

SJSU has been prone to interceptions with two in AFA, Oregon State and Auburn games so turnovers could easily be a momentum changer.

Intangibles are not in UNLV's favor like against Reno-Nevada. The Rebels are coming off a great win, one that brought home the cannon. Will the confidence propel or hinder the Rebels? Luckily UNLV has a great coach who understands how to keep the athletes head in the game and focus on the task at hand.

Unfortunately, almost all stats on paper favor SJSU. If Decker was starting, I'd feel the game was slightly in favor of the Rebels if not even. Based on pure stats UNLV loses this one 28-23. However, if they beat SJSU, UNLV will challenge the MWC West for the title.

Side note, starter Christian Tago LB and team captain is banged up and questionable for the game along with QB Kenny Potter. Backup running Thomas Tucker is doubtful. Tucker usually gives Ervin a break so his loss could be a factor.

Last edited:
I think this game poses a significant challenge for UNLV. Not bigger than Northern Illinois, Michigan or UCLA. But UNLV is without starting quarterback Blake Decker and SJSU is a strong team with #2 runningback in the country. SJSU has played a decent schedule prepping them for conference including a good showing in an Auburn loss.

SJSU rush defense has given up some decent numbers on the ground with Oregon State gaining 303 yards, AFA 428 yards (only 24 passing yards) and Auburn 234 yards. I think the key to UNLV being successful on the ground will purely depend on the arm of Palandech. He will need to find at least a modecum of passing success to give the UNLV run game a chance.

The wild card here is if UNLV decides to implement a more option based attack. We've seen it in a couple plays with Palandech this year so it could be some thing UNLV rolls out for Palandech. AFA are the kings of the option and had success against SJSU racking up more than 428 yards. UNLV shouldn't expect that kind of success with it but it could reduce the need for Palandech to throw the ball and take advantage of his rushing ability.

SJSU has been prone to interceptions with two in AFA, Oregon State and Auburn games so turnovers could easily be a momentum changer.

Intangibles are not in UNLV's favor like against Reno-Nevada. The Rebels are coming off a great win, one that brought home the cannon. Will the confidence propel or hinder the Rebels? Luckily UNLV has a great coach who understands how to keep the athletes head in the game and focus on the task at hand.

Unfortunately, almost all stats on paper favor SJSU. If Decker was starting, I'd feel the game was slightly in favor of the Rebels if not even. Since it's not, based on pure stats UNLV loses this one 28-23. However, if they beat SJSU, UNLV will challenge the MWC West for the title.

Side note, starter Christian Tago LB and team captain is banged up and questionable for the game along with QB Kenny Potter. Backup running Thomas Tucker is doubtful.
27-24 UNLV

Unfortunately, almost all stats on paper favor SJSU. If Decker was starting, I'd feel the game was slightly in favor of the Rebels if not even. Since it's not, based on pure stats UNLV loses this one 28-23. However, if they beat SJSU, UNLV will challenge the MWC West for the title.

Side note, starter Christian Tago LB and team captain is banged up and questionable for the game along with QB Kenny Potter. Backup running Thomas Tucker is doubtful.

Nice write-up.
Not liking this matchup..., but this will be the true turn this program needs...
24 UNLV
18 SJSU... yes, 18. two point conversion in the end to try to bring it within one score to win - D is ready and fresh from offense moving the ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: RebelinWA
24 - 13 Rebels

Ervin doesn't get to 100 yards rushing. SJSU is forced to pass without much success. We get 3 TOs.

I agree with LasVegasReb, we will probably see a little more zone read and option. It will be stuff we run already just a heavier dose of it. Not like we can transform into Air Force in a week so the offense will look like what we currently run. I do think early in the game the staff will have Palandech take a shot down field or throw on first down to loosen the defense.

Prediction:
UNLV 21 San Jose State 24 (hoping I am wrong) I thought even with Decker this was a tough game.

Not sure Palandech has what it takes to win a close game this weekend.

SJSU - 20
UNLV - 17

I keep reading everythin about how this team played against Oregon St. and Auburn. First Oregon St. played Michigan earlier than us and lost 35-7. Michigan has improved in leaps and bounds from game to game, and we lost 28-7 and played a better game than Oregon St. beat SJSU 35-21. In regards to the 35-21 loss to Auburn I am not sure why anyone makes a big deal of this team because they are in the SEC. Auburn only beat Jacksonville St. 27-20 in OT because Jacksonville played like shit and gave it away at the end. They struggled to beat a decent Louisville team, they got blown out by LSU, and played one good game verse Miss St.. Nothing tells me that this should not be a fairly even game. I give UNLV the advantage based on it being a home game and UNLV having a better coach. Some of the points go back because we have the 2nd string QB. I believe they will set up a good game plan and be ready for SJSU.

UNLV 38-21 SJSU

Good summary. To quote every action movie ever, "I've got a bad feeling about this" I see the Rebels sluggish offensively and tired defensively in the second half.
SJSU 38 UNLV 16

Unfortunately, almost all stats on paper favor SJSU. If Decker was starting, I'd feel the game was slightly in favor of the Rebels if not even. Based on pure stats UNLV loses this one 28-23. However, if they beat SJSU, UNLV will challenge the MWC West for the title.

Side note, starter Christian Tago LB and team captain is banged up and questionable for the game along with QB Kenny Potter. Backup running Thomas Tucker is doubtful. Tucker usually gives Ervin a break so his loss could be a factor.
23-21 UNLV Boyd takes one all the way home, D gets us one and our running gets us within striking distance 3 times but we settle for 3 FG's.

I am a little surprised people are predicting that SJSU will score that many points.

Our defense has played pretty well this year... I could be way off (probably will be) but my prediction is 17 - 13 UNLV.

I think the run game will keep the clock moving on both sides and limit possessions keeping the game close and low scoring.

23-21 UNLV Boyd takes one all the way home, D gets us one and our running gets us within striking distance 3 times but we settle for 3 FG's.
It's funny you wrote that, I was going to say the exact same thing about Nicolai . I was thinking this game could very well be won off of his leg.

I am a little surprised people are predicting that SJSU will score that many points.

Our defense has played pretty well this year... I could be way off (probably will be) but my prediction is 17 - 13 UNLV.

I think the run game will keep the clock moving on both sides and limit possessions keeping the game close and low scoring.
I don't think its so much about San Jose's offense but more our defense may be on the field a lot if Palandech/offense cant move the ball.

Unfortunately I think that we will have a letdown after the big win up north and lose this game.

28-13

31-27. Could go either way, but I gotta side with the home team!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT