ADVERTISEMENT

Let's Make a Statement!

What if... UNLV and SDSU players were arm in arm during the National Anthem in respect for this country and our fallen and injured brothers and sisters. Just say'in...:cry:
It'd be awesome to see, actually. And I hope it does happen.

But unfortunately, everything seems to turn political at some point. The standers vs the kneelers would surely start butting heads.

It'd be awesome to see, actually. And I hope it does happen.

But unfortunately, everything seems to turn political at some point. The standers vs the kneelers would surely start butting heads.

That would be a heart break for sure. However, I live in a special place called xanadu which is also the name of my boat. I would hope that the different views would see the bigger pic....

What if... UNLV and SDSU players were arm in arm during the National Anthem in respect for this country and our fallen and injured brothers and sisters. Just say'in...:cry:
I know this suggestion was meant as a way to show respect for the flag with no negative intention. "Arm in Arm", however, is not a respectful way to pay tribute to the flag.

There is only one way to show respect for the flag. It is described in the U.S. Flag Code.

"During the ceremony of hoisting or lowering the flag or when the flag is passing in a parade or in review, all persons present except those in uniform should face the flag and stand at attention with the right hand over the heart. Those present in uniform should render the military salute. When not in uniform, men should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Aliens should stand at attention. The salute to the flag in a moving column should be rendered at the moment the flag passes."

I know this suggestion was meant as a way to show respect for the flag with no negative intention. "Arm in Arm", however, is not a respectful way to pay tribute to the flag.

There is only one way to show respect for the flag. It is described in the U.S. Flag Code.

"During the ceremony of hoisting or lowering the flag or when the flag is passing in a parade or in review, all persons present except those in uniform should face the flag and stand at attention with the right hand over the heart. Those present in uniform should render the military salute. When not in uniform, men should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Aliens should stand at attention. The salute to the flag in a moving column should be rendered at the moment the flag passes."

Point taken. It was figurative.

I could be wrong, but I translated his post as saying - let's put the bullshit to the side, let's show some solidarity and unity, let's have some respect and dignity. Not necessarily a stance against or for the country or the flag necessarily... more as human beings.

But I could have been reading waaaaay to much into it. He's free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I could be wrong, but I translated his post as saying - let's put the bullshit to the side, let's show some solidarity and unity, let's have some respect and dignity. Not necessarily a stance against or for the country or the flag necessarily... more as human beings.

But I could have been reading waaaaay to much into it. He's free to correct me if I'm wrong.

That was totally my intention. Joe, you know my intentions...i am pro positive and loathe negativity and devision...

Would be kind of hard since UNLV is always in the locker room for the anthem. Most visiting teams are too.

I agree with the meaning of your idea though. UNLV will be doing some things at the game to remember and honor the victims.

Would be kind of hard since UNLV is always in the locker room for the anthem. Most visiting teams are too.

I agree with the meaning of your idea though. UNLV will be doing some things at the game to remember and honor the victims.

True that. just saying would be awesome to do something for the fallen.

I'd love to see both teams out (and locked arms would be very cool, too... but just being out there would be huge) for the anthem, a large flag on the field, and a flyover. I don't necessarily expect all of this to happen, but it would be really cool.

That's what I am talking about. Goose bumps and all!!! Anyone have an in with Coach?

I am 100% positive the AD and school have something planned for Saturday. The first game after 9/11 was against BYU at home and it was one of my favorite moments as a UNLV fan. Then BYU spotted us 7 by fumbling the opening kickoff only to beat us on a last muinute 95 yard drive where they "converted" a 4th and 10 from their own 5 after Anton Palepoi grabbed Brandon Doman's facemask while he was going down for the sack. I had brought 15-20 BYU students down with me for the game. I wanted to set them on fire!! But yes, something with SDSU will happen and I am sure it will be nice.

Reactions: dcut03
I sent an email to Coach Sanchez and DRF, I’ll post it here:

Dear Ms. Reed-Francois and Coach Sanchez,

I have been a Rebel fan all my life. I've been at both games so far this year, and I'll be there this Saturday for the game against SDSU. But this game on Saturday needs to be something unlike any other Rebel game. We need a place to come together.

I'm sure I am not telling you something you don't know, but this Saturday's game is about MUCH more than UNLV Football. The community needs a place to come together after this tragedy. Sports often provide this venue. Sell tickets for $1. Give them away for free. Let's get 30,000 people into Sam Boyd stadium to come together for prayer, for remembrance, for silence, for paying respect, for honoring those who rushed in when others rushed out. Let's stand together with arms around eachother to cry, to pray, and to start to rebuild what this man tried to bring down.

We'll chant "Ve-gas" rather than "Re-bels", and we'll come together and rebuild.

And then let's go out and kick some Aztec @$$. Then we'll storm the field and laugh and smile and cry some more, and we'll rebuild.

I sent an email to Coach Sanchez and DRF, I’ll post it here:

Dear Ms. Reed-Francois and Coach Sanchez,

I have been a Rebel fan all my life. I've been at both games so far this year, and I'll be there this Saturday for the game against SDSU. But this game on Saturday needs to be something unlike any other Rebel game. We need a place to come together.

I'm sure I am not telling you something you don't know, but this Saturday's game is about MUCH more than UNLV Football. The community needs a place to come together after this tragedy. Sports often provide this venue. Sell tickets for $1. Give them away for free. Let's get 30,000 people into Sam Boyd stadium to come together for prayer, for remembrance, for silence, for paying respect, for honoring those who rushed in when others rushed out. Let's stand together with arms around eachother to cry, to pray, and to start to rebuild what this man tried to bring down.

We'll chant "Ve-gas" rather than "Re-bels", and we'll come together and rebuild.

And then let's go out and kick some Aztec @$$. Then we'll storm the field and laugh and smile and cry some more, and we'll rebuild.
I like what you wrote a lot. Sports means a lot to us all but when you step back for a second, it doesn't really mean much. It's a pseudoconnection. It's not human. It feels like it is. But it's insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Family, friends, people... that's what counts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT