ADVERTISEMENT

Let the excuses begin

Weren’t you the guy who was around here making the same kind of BS posts when your boy Hauck was here crapping the bed?! Gtfoh!
After Hauck left UNLV for SDSU as special teams coach, while there, the head coach retired. Hauck was offered the job as Aztecs head coach, but preferred to return to his home state, Montana, where he's now rebuilding the team after much mismanagement, etc. while he was gone. So..........you could be playing the Aztecs w/ Hauck as head coach if he'd taken the job. Gtfoh, yourself.

After Hauck left UNLV for SDSU as special teams coach, while there, the head coach retired. Hauck was offered the job as Aztecs head coach, but preferred to return to his home state, Montana, where he's now rebuilding the team after much mismanagement, etc. while he was gone. So..........you could be playing the Aztecs w/ Hauck as head coach if he'd taken the job. Gtfoh, yourself.
Probably a good way for UNLV to finally get some wins, play a Hauck coached team.

Huh? We're not firing this guy in year 2.
If we fire him, year 4 will be his final.

Why?

1. We don't have the money to fire him
2. He deserves 4 years to build his vision.

Year 1 counted in my book. He used it as a "preseason," but that's on him. Other schools prepared for games in order to win them. We didn't. Covid occurred in Alabama, South Carolina, Ohio, etc., as well as here. This wasn't something unique to only UNLV.

If we fire him, year 4 will be his final.

Why?

1. We don't have the money to fire him
2. He deserves 4 years to build his vision.

Year 1 counted in my book. He used it as a "preseason," but that's on him. Other schools prepared for games in order to win them. We didn't. Covid occurred in Alabama, South Carolina, Ohio, etc., as well as here. This wasn't something unique to only UNLV.
I firmly agree with you here. We definitely won't be able to afford to fire him until end of year 4 at best.

I do think he deserves the time as well. I really do. Im just so not sold on how he has handled quite literally anything in the program.

After all these young guys taking over the program with lofty visions but little experience, I am starting to think UNLV needs to figure out how to get someone more experienced even at the risk of not being flashy. Even if they aren't a great coach or haven't been a head coach in a while. This job has so much to overcome to get to the point where young guys can take over and build.

Reactions: s89103
I hope we don't need to think about firing our coach.

But, in the future, if it comes to that I'd like to see a coach with a background of changing a culture. Even at a lower level. We need someone who has taken a perennial loser and turned it around.

I hope we don't need to think about firing our coach.

But, in the future, if it comes to that I'd like to see a coach with a background of changing a culture. Even at a lower level. We need someone who has taken a perennial loser and turned it around.
It will be too late by this time, but I REALLY wanted it to be Jay Hill. He'll be a p5 head coach before our job opens.... specifically utah.

Reactions: willlevi
Very unlikely he’s fired year two. BUT…if we go 0-12 and we hire a good AD with some connections it’s not impossible to think he’d consider it if he already has his coach lined up. Look if UNLV goes 1,000+ days without a football win Allegiant is going to be empty next year. Season ticket cancellations will be through the roof. Tickets, concessions, parking, donations, a lot of money will be lost there when considering CMA’s massive buyout.

Reactions: 76RunninRebel
You really think he’s getting canned this year? No chance, not even a discussion.
Yep, can’t afford it. Wouldn’t be able to afford a replacement unless we hire another HS coach. We’ve made our investment, we need to play our hand out. We may have to eventually fold, it may pan out for us. Either way it will take more than just this season to see if our ROI is in the positive.

Blah blah blah.. still butt hurt over ya boy Hauck. He sucked here and Arroyo is looking like the same kind of suck as Bobby so far.

At what point are we going to stop blaming and firing coaches and just see it for what it is? Football will never be successful at UNLV. Sink the program and save the dough for other things.

• Angry
If we learned anything from DRF it's if there's a will there's a way. She found the money to get rid of Sanchez. And hire a new coach at 3x his salary I wouldn't be so sure that we don't have the money after all his biopsy only 3.5 million. We only pay 75% of that

If San Jose State, Fresno and Reno can get some success in football UNLV can as well. Problem is inept administration hiring inept people creating inept results. Look at the coaches nothing against them but there was no way. Menzies, Otzelberger, coming from high school Sanchez, Hauck, Arroyo an assistant was going to be successful here. Rice was most exciting hire but in the end he never coached a day in his life and it showed. Hire a Big 5 conference former coach. The former UCLA coach was interested but we got Arroyo. Former coaches wanted the MBB job we got Kevin Kruger. When you have a woke school you get woke results on sunday mornings!

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I don’t mind KK but I agree regarding the football coach. Football is so important as all the conference realignment is showing us that football is king and UNLV treats football like an afterthough!

Reactions: UNLVbro
Montana isn't a joke...Hauck had that program rolling before he came here, and he has it back on track it seems

Because we know the results seems like he was a bad hire...

But..

Dude was 80-17 with multiple FCS title game appearances. He could coach.

He was just a bad fit for UNLV. Or Unlv was a bad fit for him..

Last edited:
Yeah. I think Hauck had one good win here too, didn’t he? Maybe?

He had a bowl season. Never really had a signature win other than one over Reno.

Sanford got a ranked ASU on the road, and followed it up by beating ISU at home the next week. Best two weeks of my UNLV fanhood.

Reactions: RebelScrub
Because we know the results seems like he was a bad hire...

But..

Dude was 80-17 with multiple FCS title game appearances. He could coach.

He was just a bad fit for UNLV. Or Unlv was a bad fit for him..
UNLV will never have a good program. It's a bad fit for everyone. I'm now firmly in the "shut it down" camp.

• Angry
Yeah. I think Hauck had one good win here too, didn’t he? Maybe?
I mean he won enough to be one of 4 coaches to go to a bowl game at UNLV. Sure one was CMU and one of WIU... but they did beat 5 mwc teams that season I think?

I didn't say we should join the WCC but it is possible to survive without a football program

Possible not easy though.

Landscape has changed since Tark (blessed be his name) was here. There are nearly twice as many D1 programs now. The power conferences are even stronger now.

Thread title should be: "Let the bitching begin," as usual. Hope no coach or player reads this drivel. Someone mentioned the Howard game. What points did that small school run up? In the 50s? Eastern WA is a team that could be easily competing in the MWC, as well as several other Big Sky FCS Conference teams. Some fans of these schools in the past have been pushing for MWC membership.

Ok, I didn't watch the game last night. But from what I read the Rebels last night were not the Rebels of the past. When did they ever battle back late in a previous game to where they could have pulled it off? No, from what I've read (unbiased, unlike you and Graney), it appears these are not the old Rebels. Arroyo has done very well. As another (sane) poster suggested, it'll take some time, as I think this is the first under- fire chance he's been able to see who can and can't do what.

Is this Arroyos burner account? Fans shouldn't be upset losing to an fcs team? Yeah sure ok. Their kicker missed a couple chip shots and they fumbled on a kick off at the end that allowed us to tie the game. And then overtime happens and they scored scored on their 1st play both times and easily converted the 2pt conversion. Pathetic performance all the way around. Maybe you would realize if you watched the game.

Reactions: 220reb
Again, how?
C'mon man, it's super simple. First you just need a once a generation hoops coach who consistently turns out top 10 performances and deep post season runs and has a loyal and stable relationship with the very stable and support school administration. Somehow, you'll have to retain him on a public university budget--but don't worry, you won't need to worry about silly things like football money from any conference coming in and complicating things. First, before you can hire that guy, you're going to have to cut 4-5 women's sports programs to make sure you meet Title IX minimums. Then, you'll have to find new homes for a lot of your other sports, in conferences where there is less money to be had and you'll be in a position with very little negotiating power. Then you'll have to figure out how to repay taxpayers if no public use is given to the university for it's publicly funded stadium especially when the raider move back to LA in 10 years for a newer stadium. Then you're going to have to figure out how to hire a an excellent athletic director with substantially less money from boosters who are disinclined to donate for our product on the floor now, wait until they see that new schedule! And all that money you got from big boosters for your football facilities, you're just going to have to tell them to go screw themselves. But we did just lose by 2 points in double overtime against a team that was a 10 point underdog, so really you have no choice.

I do love you Rebel-Net, you have the dumbest, hottest takes.

Last edited:
Some major red flags with Arroyo:

1. Talent Evaluation: Starting Rogers over Brumfield. Forced out Kenyon Oblad in favor of Max Gilliam last year. Does the biggest suck-up to Arroyo earn the starting job? Certainly isn't talent.

2. Clock Management: 17 seconds left in the half with a timeout in the Red Zone. Should've had multiple shots at the endzone but had to settle for a FG because of poor playcalling and a late timeout.

3. Leaving Rogers in for 2.75 quarters. So much for 'playing the hot hand'-- it was clear after the first few series the game was much too fast for Rogers.

4. Decision Making: Arroyo opting to punt on 4th and inches down 20-6 when the defense was clearly gassed from the multiple consecutive 3-and-outs. The punt led to an eventual short-field and easy score for EWU anyway.

There's no excuses not to succeed at UNLV anymore. Top recruiting classes and facilities. UNLV is more financially vested in football than any school in the MWC other than maybe Boise St. Utah St was 1-5 last year, fired their coach mid-season and their new guy already has them 1-0 against the P5.

I think it was obvious from last years performance that this year was a 0-1 win season. Don't like Arroyo? I would say there is plenty reason not to but also to early to give up on him imo. I still don't know if I like him or not. But either way I doubt he is let go before the end of his 4th year at the earliest, may be given the full 5 years mainly due to money.

He had a bowl season. Never really had a signature win other than one over Reno.

Sanford got a ranked ASU on the road, and followed it up by beating ISU at home the next week. Best two weeks of my UNLV fanhood.

What bout the 27-0 beatdown of "F"Utah at Sam Boyd. That is the game where Frank the Tank ran roughshod all over them before they got accepted to the PAC-10.

Is this Arroyos burner account? Fans shouldn't be upset losing to an fcs team? Yeah sure ok. Their kicker missed a couple chip shots and they fumbled on a kick off at the end that allowed us to tie the game. And then overtime happens and they scored scored on their 1st play both times and easily converted the 2pt conversion. Pathetic performance all the way around. Maybe you would realize if you watched the game.
Actually that is Haucks burner account. The guy was the worst coach we’ve had in 20 years until Arroyo came along, just happened to get lucky and ride Caleb Herrings coattail to a bowl blowout so his tenure looks a lot better than it was.

Horton was tough to suffer through for me. I started watching when Knapp was coaching. Him and Hyde had some fun teams to watch in my opinion.

Reactions: WarthogRebel
I didn't say we should join the WCC but it is possible to survive without a football program
It looks like our options would be drop to FCS ( Big Sky) or go to a league that doesn't have or require football ( Big West or WAC ) .

What bout the 27-0 beatdown of "F"Utah at Sam Boyd. That is the game where Frank the Tank ran roughshod all over them before they got accepted to the PAC-10.

Thought about that one.

They were a year removed from their BCS run. Which made it impressive.

Didn't include it because they stumbled a bit and had their 2nd string QB in.

Great/fun win though..

I guess by UNLV standards it counts...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT