ADVERTISEMENT

Let the excuses begin

220reb

Rebel Legend
May 29, 2001
Well. Not really sure where to go with this. But we live in a Time where Coastal Carolina is a ranked football team and also the Louisiana Ragin Cajuns. We've spent Millions on this football team . We've given them the best practice facilities and a 2 Billion dollar taxpayer-funded Stadium. Spent 1.5 million on a coach. I'm sure the media will give him a pass after all it's only his second year. The fanbase has higher expectations and I'm sure the new University president does also. It's going to be a long Year my friends. Iowa State game is in two weeks and they will be a top-five opponent

At least we got $3 million from Iowa State for a turd coach and kept our tennis and volleyball programs alive. And our city get to take more money from their fans next week. Iowa State might beat us by 50 but we already started winning last summer.

Give him time..

we played with some heart after being down.

First half..F

Second Half B plus

overtimeA, we just came a few inches from going into 3rd OT.

I actually like the offense second half.Much better offense compared to Sanford/Hauck/Sanchez/Robinson

Thanks, DRF, for finding this diamond in the rough who is now 0-7. Who played last season as a “tryout” for this season (apparently the QB tryout continued through the third quarter of this game). But she was hellbent on finding a candidate on her own, so we are left with this.

What do you think the Missouri fanbase is thinking right now after seeing this? I can’t imagine them not bringing this up when she looks for her latest diamond during a coaching search.

Reactions: RebNReno and 220reb
Good morning, you red headed wenches. You finally find a quarterback and then you realize you have no receivers. You'll probably win a game or two, but I wouldn't bet on it. Maybe next year.

Was going to San Antonio (UTSA Game). Think we will go to the river walk and have some margaritas while UTSA whips our assess. Anyone want my worthless tickets.

Can you spell 0-12 ???

Reactions: 220reb
Well. Not really sure where to go with this. But we live in a Time where Coastal Carolina is a ranked football team and also the Louisiana Ragin Cajuns. We've spent Millions on this football team . We've given them the best practice facilities and a 2 Billion dollar taxpayer-funded Stadium. Spent 1.5 million on a coach. I'm sure the media will give him a pass after all it's only his second year. The fanbase has higher expectations and I'm sure the new University president does also. It's going to be a long Year my friends. Iowa State game is in two weeks and they will be a top-five opponent
He just needs a full six years to show his stuff. Don’t pay attention to the lack of W’s and the abundance of L’s. You have to look more closely.

Look at that stadium! The food is better. The tailgating is better. The views are better. Never mind that the product in front of you makes you want to vomit all that food, you have to look beyond the product on the field.

You mustn’t criticize. Only good words and good thoughts can turn this around.

everyone hold hands and sing “three little birds”.

Real fans believe - even if their eyes and guts say otherwise.

No criticizing either, otherwise we are going to go big tech and delete and ban you. The goal is to project that we are a content fan base with a team that is ready to break through. We need to keep that illusion so it becomes a truth in our soft minds.

The first half was so boring. All the fans were waiting and looking for SOMETHING to cheer for. The second half was entertaining. It was great to see some heart from the Rebels. Brumfield throws a good ball but it took the receivers a minute to get used to the left handed throw. He's a freshman so he should just get better from here. Gutierrez (kicker) was money! He might be able to keep UNLV in some game this year. I see some good things to build on but they gotta get more pressure on the opposing QB moving forward

This is going to be very expensive.

The EWU coach signed an extension two years ago and makes @ $210,000 this year. ( He took an indefinite 10% pay cut last year as his way to support the Athletic department) If this coach was making $60,000 he'd still win. If Arroyo was making $ 60,000,000 he'd still lose.

This is a game we should have lost much more convincingly based off how it was going.

We were favored, but most of us knew that it was still going to be a struggle.

Frustrating since they went with Rogers, while Brumfield looked signficantly better. Roger is definitely more conservative, maybe that is why he got the start and they stayed with him for so long.

It was FCS, but a strong offense, and I was suprised by the defense. Definitely looks better. Who knows though.

Most disappointed with the offense. A lot of kinks to work out, but they should still be better by now. Especially with an offensively minded coach.

All that being said, with the level of recruiting, we have to give time to see how/if they develop. Simple as that. Arroyo may be way in over his head, or the players simply aren't there yet in the very beginning of year 2.

Not many promising signs which is a concern, but too early to tell.

Reactions: Sonny44
"All that being said, with the level of recruiting, we have to give time to see how/if they develop. Simple as that."

Over the past six years UNLV has ranked an average of 91st nationally in recruiting. EWU over the same six years has ranked an average 142nd. Plus we get 85 recruits and they get 65. We should be head and shoulders above them in all aspects of the game - right now. Not in a couple of more years.

Thanks, DRF, for finding this diamond in the rough who is now 0-7. Who played last season as a “tryout” for this season (apparently the QB tryout continued through the third quarter of this game). But she was hellbent on finding a candidate on her own, so we are left with this.

What do you think the Missouri fanbase is thinking right now after seeing this? I can’t imagine them not bringing this up when she looks for her latest diamond during a coaching search.
DRF got out of town at just the right time. It would have been pretty difficult for her to land any FBS job after this season let alone an SEC job. Missouri fans better hope their FB coach stays put. I would be very nervous about her making another hire.

UNLV is my Alma Mater, I can’t ever change that, but what I can do is spend my time and money elsewhere. I have flights booked to these games this season (so far).

Oregon at Ohio St
Oregon at Stanford
Cal at Oregon
Oregon at UCLA ( a drive no flight)
Oregon at Washington

Go Ducks
The sad reality is we just become Raider fans.

Im not crying the sky is falling, but at some point you just pull the plug on us as a division 1 team.

Or stop following the team all together which many here in Las Vegas has already done.

"All that being said, with the level of recruiting, we have to give time to see how/if they develop. Simple as that."

Over the past six years UNLV has ranked an average of 91st nationally in recruiting. EWU over the same six years has ranked an average 142nd. Plus we get 85 recruits and they get 65. We should be head and shoulders above them in all aspects of the game - right now. Not in a couple of more years.

EWU has 22 returning starters, a more than esetablished QB who may be MVP of FCS, and just played in the Spring so have a bit more continuity with a series of succesful coaches that have handed off to each other. Can't quite compare the past 6 years.

But you are right. Our talent, though unproven and mostly young, should be better. That is why we were favored and should have won if we could execute. FBS should be better than FCS in normal circumstances.

But this team in no Howard. They have beat Pac 12 teams a few times in the past few years.

EWU has 22 returning starters, a more than esetablished QB who may be MVP of FCS, and just played in the Spring so have a bit more continuity with a series of succesful coaches that have handed off to each other. Can't quite compare the past 6 years.

But you are right. Our talent, though unproven and mostly young, should be better. That is why we were favored and should have won if we could execute. FBS should be better than FCS in normal circumstances.

But this team in no Howard. They have beat Pac 12 teams a few times in the past few years.
"EWU has 22 returning starters, a more than esetablished QB who may be MVP of FCS, and just played in the Spring so have a bit more continuity with a series of succesful coaches that have handed off to each other. Can't quite compare the past 6 years."

You do realize the topic of this thread is "Let the excuses begin?"

He just needs a full six years to show his stuff. Don’t pay attention to the lack of W’s and the abundance of L’s. You have to look more closely.

Look at that stadium! The food is better. The tailgating is better. The views are better. Never mind that the product in front of you makes you want to vomit all that food, you have to look beyond the product on the field.

You mustn’t criticize. Only good words and good thoughts can turn this around.

everyone hold hands and sing “three little birds”.

Real fans believe - even if their eyes and guts say otherwise.

No criticizing either, otherwise we are going to go big tech and delete and ban you. The goal is to project that we are a content fan base with a team that is ready to break through. We need to keep that illusion so it becomes a truth in our soft minds.

Listening to the Press Box show this morning I learned something. Ed Graney let us know that coach Arroyo has closed practice to media and fans. As a coach you close practice when you want to focus in on something particular when you don't want to share with the media or the public what kind of football team you have. Now I truly understand why we received very little information about this football team. I understand why we have a walk-on quarterback with more experience than most of the roster combined sitting the bench. I understand his amazement when a reporter asked him about that quarterbacks thumb injury. I really hope the new president is going to put him on notice. That BS we saw last night is unacceptable. You make 1.5 million dollars a year. You play in a 2 Billion Dollar $tadium. The community has invested time money and effort into this football program and "We have expectations".

Reactions: s89103
I just can't see our team in winning a game this year. I could be wrong but I doubt it

I just can't see our team in winning a game this year. I could be wrong but I doubt it
I hear ya, but I I still have some hope.

Brumfield had way more presence and had the ability to throw the ball accurately. If he can do this from the start of a game it will open up more opportunities for Williams. If all this happens we may come across a game where the other team has several inopportune fumbles or interceptions that let us squeak out a win.

More than one win is asking too much

Schematically they played to not lose. Nothing creative or aggressive. a lot of good points made above but the offensive line has to be called out for their poor pass protection. They ran mostly 3 wide in I formation and they we’re getting solid pressure. The dropped passes didn’t help.

just so many issues overall. We will be lucky with 1 win. Their confidence will be a mess after the next two games. Terrible fan but I’m selling my Iowa State tickets because that game is utterly hopeless.

I got a bad feeling about the Iowa State game. I feel Iowa State's offense and defense will have a record-setting day at Allegiant. I wouldn't be surprised if they score 70 points.

I hear ya, but I I still have some hope.

Brumfield had way more presence and had the ability to throw the ball accurately. If he can do this from the start of a game it will open up more opportunities for Williams. If all this happens we may come across a game where the other team has several inopportune fumbles or interceptions that let us squeak out a win.

More than one win is asking too much

With quarterbacks, you can't get a good read on their performance until they've been game planned.
Brumfield was great coming off the bench versus an EWU defense that had adjusted to stack the box due to Roger's inability to make plays downfield. They had also become content forgoing the blitz.
The remaining teams on the schedule will have more defensive talent available & will be able to be much more aggressive. The good thing is that the offense does have potential.

My only argument/counter would be..

The investment put into football is recent. (Also long overdue).

I'll throw last year out. Arroyo (any coach) gets a pass in my book.

Didn't expect much this year...3 maybe 4 wins at best. Even that looks like a major hill to climb now.

I think the best way to judge Coach Arroyo this year will be against what Danny Gonzales does at New Mexico.

I wanted Gonzales. I believe he was a candidate, but the UNM job opened and he played there.

The seat gets hot middle of next season if there isn't marked improvement. Depends on New AD.

No excuses, just had low expectations anyway.

My only argument/counter would be..

The investment put into football is recent. (Also long overdue).

I'll throw last year out. Arroyo (any coach) gets a pass in my book.

Didn't expect much this year...3 maybe 4 wins at best. Even that looks like a major hill to climb now.

I think the best way to judge Coach Arroyo this year will be against what Danny Gonzales does at New Mexico.

I wanted Gonzales. I believe he was a candidate, but the UNM job opened and he played there.

The seat gets hot middle of next season if there isn't marked improvement. Depends on New AD.

No excuses, just had low expectations anyway.

If we go another 3 weeks without a win our losing streak will be at 10. I don't really know if he can survive that. His seat goes from being hot to a volcano.

If we go another 3 weeks without a win our losing streak will be at 10. I don't really know if he can survive that. His seat goes from being hot to a volcano.

Like I said, I would, and most ADs would throw last year out the window.

The recruiting based on scouting services has really improved. 63 in the country is I believe 20 or 30 spots higher than Sanchez' best class.

Takes time for that to manifest on the field.

We'll see. I think he gets this entire season and next. But there has to be tangible improvement next year or he could be out.

Look at the big picture we play New Mexico, Hawaii and UTSA and I agree UNLV has a very low chance of winning any of these games from what I saw last night.

Look at the big picture we play New Mexico, Hawaii and UTSA and I agree UNLV has a very low chance of winning any of these games from what I saw last night.
My question is how long does this losing streak last??? Because we will be reach a 10 losing streak guaranteed

Thread title should be: "Let the bitching begin," as usual. Hope no coach or player reads this drivel. Someone mentioned the Howard game. What points did that small school run up? In the 50s? Eastern WA is a team that could be easily competing in the MWC, as well as several other Big Sky FCS Conference teams. Some fans of these schools in the past have been pushing for MWC membership.

Ok, I didn't watch the game last night. But from what I read the Rebels last night were not the Rebels of the past. When did they ever battle back late in a previous game to where they could have pulled it off? No, from what I've read (unbiased, unlike you and Graney), it appears these are not the old Rebels. Arroyo has done very well. As another (sane) poster suggested, it'll take some time, as I think this is the first under- fire chance he's been able to see who can and can't do what.

Reactions: CRhodes1983
Thread title should be: "Let the bitching begin," as usual. Hope no coach or player reads this drivel. Someone mentioned the Howard game. What points did that small school run up? In the 50s? Eastern WA is a team that could be easily competing in the MWC, as well as several other Big Sky FCS Conference teams. Some fans of these schools in the past have been pushing for MWC membership.

Ok, I didn't watch the game last night. But from what I read the Rebels last night were not the Rebels of the past. When did they ever battle back late in a previous game to where they could have pulled it off? No, from what I've read (unbiased, unlike you and Graney), it appears these are not the old Rebels. Arroyo has done very well. As another (sane) poster suggested, it'll take some time, as I think this is the first under- fire chance he's been able to see who can and can't do what.

If you didn't watch the game then why are you posting.

Weren’t you the guy who was around here making the same kind of BS posts when your boy Hauck was here crapping the bed?! Gtfoh!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT