ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s See

Pistol Pete 1

Retired Number
Sep 22, 2008
How long it takes for the haters to jump on this. Ntambwe & Diong are developing a real nice little 2 man game. It is turning into a very effective offensive play but I am sure they figured it out on their own because it couldn’t have been due to coaching.

Diong is starting to come back nicely after the injury and Ntambwe seems to be breaking out of his Freshman slump. If Diong can develop a little 10’-15’ shot he could very well play the power forward position alongside of Bengai next year and with Ntammbwe at the 3 we would have a very formidable front line.

Whoever our coach is he will have some very nice pieces not to mention that Hardy is quickly becoming one of the better guards in the MWC.

Reactions: EastSideRebel
How long it takes for the haters to jump on this. Ntambwe & Diong are developing a real nice little 2 man game. It is turning into a very effective offensive play but I am sure they figured it out on their own because it couldn’t have been due to coaching.

Diong is starting to come back nicely after the injury and Ntambwe seems to be breaking out of his Freshman slump. If Diong can develop a little 10’-15’ shot he could very well play the power forward position alongside of Bengai next year and with Ntammbwe at the 3 we would have a very formidable front line.

Whoever our coach is he will have some very nice pieces not to mention that Hardy is quickly becoming one of the better guards in the MWC.
I’m thinking a 5 year extension is probably the best move.

No spin, not advocating for a coach, just stated a couple facts. What did I state that was a spin?

No spin, not advocating for a coach, just stated a couple facts. What did I state that was a spin?
There was an assumption that Bengai has automatic worth. He may, he may not. He could be a stiff.

The dynamic duo, you attributed that to coaching. Maybe. Maybe not. Could it be just from playing alongside each other? And for how long have they been this dynamic duo. And against what teams? You are insinuating this is due solely to coaching and at best, it’s an incomplete set of data.

Hell, we can say Ntambwe’s improvement is due to stellar coaching. That’d be an assumption too. If we assume that, do we assume that the lack of development of Beck and Dembele is because of bad coaching? After all, the current dude said Dembele was an NBA player and if not, they didn’t do their job.

In the end, all you can do is look at the bottom line. The crowds of 2K are saying epic failure. Nobody is buying it.

Was this against SJSU and Wyoming..

I’m pretty impressed.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
There was an assumption that Bengai has automatic worth. He may, he may not. He could be a stiff.

The dynamic duo, you attributed that to coaching. Maybe. Maybe not. Could it be just from playing alongside each other? And for how long have they been this dynamic duo. And against what teams? You are insinuating this is due solely to coaching and at best, it’s an incomplete set of data.

Hell, we can say Ntambwe’s improvement is due to stellar coaching. That’d be an assumption too. If we assume that, do we assume that the lack of development of Beck and Dembele is because of bad coaching? After all, the current dude said Dembele was an NBA player and if not, they didn’t do their job.

In the end, all you can do is look at the bottom line. The crowds of 2K are saying epic failure. Nobody is buying it.
I think you have me figured wrong. I don’t really care if Menzies is here next year or not. I am pretty sure that if Menzies is gone UNLV will either make a great hire or screw the pooch but any way this plays out I will be a fan.

I have been a fan since I played high school ball and went to most of the games since Roland Todd was the coach. I even went to a Roland Todd summer basketball camp at Frank F Garside Jr High. I have been a season ticket holder for the last 20 years.

As a fan I like to find whatever positives I can and enjoy the game and root for my team. And believe it or not I have enjoyed watching the team this year in spite of their shortcomings & I am rooting for them to win the MWC Tournament.

It’s a long shot but I will be there rooting.

And there it is again, someone knocking the players. Kids that came here to be Rebels. That should mean they at least get our respect and not slander.
How is it slander against the kids if it's pointed out that the last two teams we struggled against, in wins, were against teams that were rated between 320-340 out of 360 teams?

We struggled. We won. The other schools are horrific. All three are facts. I guess we can debate whether we looked good, showed growth, etc.

How is it slander against the kids if it's pointed out that the last two teams we struggled against, in wins, were against teams that were rated between 320-340 out of 360 teams?

We struggled. We won. The other schools are horrific. All three are facts. I guess we can debate whether we looked good, showed growth, etc.

I get it. You are frustrated that we aren’t better. I wish we were better. Everybody wishes we were better except Maxson. We probably would have been better if we kept Rice. We would have been better if we hadn’t screwed up this last hiring process. We would have been better if Tark could have finished his coaching career here and retired on his terms. But we are where we are and we are who we are.

Maybe slander was a bad choice of words but pointing out that Scrub was “Pretty Impressed” is a knock against the kids because of who this has come against. Kids are playing their asses off and their efforts shouldn’t be minimized or put down by FANS!!!

Caps & !!! For Bull!!!

I get it. You are frustrated that we aren’t better. I wish we were better. Everybody wishes we were better except Maxson. We probably would have been better if we kept Rice. We would have been better if we hadn’t screwed up this last hiring process. We would have been better if Tark could have finished his coaching career here and retired on his terms. But we are where we are and we are who we are.

Maybe slander was a bad choice of words but pointing out that Scrub was “Pretty Impressed” is a knock against the kids because of who this has come against. Kids are playing their asses off and their efforts shouldn’t be minimized or put down by FANS!!!

Caps & !!! For Bull!!!
These kids DO play hard. These kids ARE unselfish. Team chemistry is good, too.

Those are no longer givens. A lack of any of those can sink you as a team. It’s not easy to get that mix.

And that makes it all much more concerning to me. Why are we losing to bad teams and why are we losing so much at home and why are we losing by such large margins against mediocre and poor teams? Good teams you can at least fathom.

How long it takes for the haters to jump on this

Pete, Pete…You really are a glutton for punishment. You’ll never get through to these pall bearers. They are stone cold determined to bury Menzies, and no wins, no signs of good play, of energy or fortitude (read:toughness), or god forbid, good coaching (!) will dissuade them from their mission to bury this coach and/or these kids.

I’ve left you alone (for the most part) to tilt at these windmills by yourself. I won’t play your Sancho Panza. Far be it from me to point out that we’re 9-5. Yeah, yeah…I know. It’s a lousy league. So what? We were a terrible, awful team. No one on this site wants to take the steps that are necessary to build a program from scratch. They all want to just leap into the Sweet Sixteen. It’s a nice dream, but it ain’t reality boys.

Suddenly we’re being told that it’s MM’s year three and he should be further along. We all know that the reality is that this is his second year of competitive ball. But never let facts get in the way of a good narrative. Hmmm…wonder where they picked that up? Oops! I promised to check that stuff at the door.

Anyway, I see that even you aren’t really defending the coach. You say “whoever’s here next year”. I hope that’s just to stave off that particular bit of abuse from the inhabitants of Rebel-Net. If the “powers-that-be” make the tragic mistake of getting rid of Coach Menzies there’s a very good chance that many of the players that he recruited would go elsewhere, and we’d be back go the carousel. With new teams every year. The only reason why our ugly step-brothers to the north are having such success is because they’ve all stayed together for four years. In college ball, continuity is huge.

You think Menzies doesn’t know how to coach? You’d get an argument from Pitino. Not to mention Steve Fisher and Lon Kruger. And he took a moribund program at New Mexico State and turned into a tournament team. So I guess he got to UNLV and forgot how to do it. Sure…

Speaking of Pitino, who seems to be the messiah that everyone is waiting on, have you forgotten that he spurned UNLV once before. And the rumor mill has UCLA in the hunt for him. And he has also mentioned having s desire to return to the NBA. Do you really think the UNLV job is near the top of that list? And is someone with Pitino’s “baggage” a good fit for our school?

My guess is that we’ll go 2-2 to close the season, but even if we go 0-4, it would be a huge error to change coaches now.We’re on the path toward relevance again. The only thing that would derail it will be if the AD shows as little patience as most of the inhabitants of this board.
sancho-panza.jpg

Go Rebels!

Pete, Pete…You really are a glutton for punishment. You’ll never get through to these pall bearers. They are stone cold determined to bury Menzies, and no wins, no signs of good play, of energy or fortitude (read:toughness), or god forbid, good coaching (!) will dissuade them from their mission to bury this coach and/or these kids.

I’ve left you alone (for the most part) to tilt at these windmills by yourself. I won’t play your Sancho Panza. Far be it from me to point out that we’re 9-5. Yeah, yeah…I know. It’s a lousy league. So what? We were a terrible, awful team. No one on this site wants to take the steps that are necessary to build a program from scratch. They all want to just leap into the Sweet Sixteen. It’s a nice dream, but it ain’t reality boys.

Suddenly we’re being told that it’s MM’s year three and he should be further along. We all know that the reality is that this is his second year of competitive ball. But never let facts get in the way of a good narrative. Hmmm…wonder where they picked that up? Oops! I promised to check that stuff at the door.

Anyway, I see that even you aren’t really defending the coach. You say “whoever’s here next year”. I hope that’s just to stave off that particular bit of abuse from the inhabitants of Rebel-Net. If the “powers-that-be” make the tragic mistake of getting rid of Coach Menzies there’s a very good chance that many of the players that he recruited would go elsewhere, and we’d be back go the carousel. With new teams every year. The only reason why our ugly step-brothers to the north are having such success is because they’ve all stayed together for four years. In college ball, continuity is huge.

You think Menzies doesn’t know how to coach? You’d get an argument from Pitino. Not to mention Steve Fisher and Lon Kruger. And he took a moribund program at New Mexico State and turned into a tournament team. So I guess he got to UNLV and forgot how to do it. Sure…

Speaking of Pitino, who seems to be the messiah that everyone is waiting on, have you forgotten that he spurned UNLV once before. And the rumor mill has UCLA in the hunt for him. And he has also mentioned having s desire to return to the NBA. Do you really think the UNLV job is near the top of that list? And is someone with Pitino’s “baggage” a good fit for our school?

My guess is that we’ll go 2-2 to close the season, but even if we go 0-4, it would be a huge error to change coaches now.We’re on the path toward relevance again. The only thing that would derail it will be if the AD shows as little patience as most of the inhabitants of this board.
sancho-panza.jpg

Go Rebels!
He’s been his own worst enemy. He buried himself with lousy records and poor play. He did that. Not the fans. That’s why 10k disappeared to leave him with 2k.

NMSU is sure hurting without him.

Nobody is waiting on Pitino. But a coach would be nice.

His recruiting class can’t save him, it’s not good enough. If they go elsewhere, no big loss. His current recruits make him a just above .500 coach (against fake teams). More of the same with recruits, eh.

If UNLV stays the course, the deserve the additional fan loss and money loss that is sure to happen. As it steadily happened with each of his years.

Two of the weakest schedules in UNLV history and still nothing to hang your hat on. Pretty gross. Keep on battling those might Spartans and Cowboys to the wire. High quality stuff there.

“Anyway, I see that even you aren’t really defending the coach. You say “whoever’s here next year”. I hope that’s just to stave off that particular bit of abuse from the inhabitants of Rebel-Net.”
REPLYING TO COMMENT FROM Tarkisgod

I have defended the coach in the past and still think he will be just fine given enough time. As far as that comment goes I am just trying to say that I am a fan, a lifelong fan and will be in the stands wearing my Rebel Red colored glasses cheering them on no matter who the coach is. I am not the one behind the curtain making the call on CMM’s future at UNLV. Whatever happens is out of my control.

I personally was very tired of watching the procession of malcontents and prima donnas masquerading as Rebels at the T & M. I am too old to learn the names of 9-12 new guys on the team every year and I am thrilled that we will actually have a kid being honored on Senior Night that has actually been a Rebel for 3 years.

No doubt there will be some turnover even with Menzies this year. That is just the way it is in College Hoops these days. A couple players come to mind I won’t mention and those spots will be filled with some nice pieces. I really think that this team is within a player or 2 of competing for the MWC Title (and I still have hope for the Tournament this year) no matter who the coach is.

As far as canning CMM and bringing in a new coach goes the boosters and DRF better think twice about it if they don’t have a signed contract before dropping the hammer. I certainly wouldn’t want to take a coaching job where I would be canned after 2 years on the job (yes I am in the camp that says this is year 2). There was a Country-Rock crossover band in the early 70’s called POCO and one of their songs was PICKN UP THE PIECES which is exactly what he had to do when he was hired. Recruiting was done by the time our great Administration finally got Menzies approved.

I just don’t have any confidence that our Boosters can come together long enough to agree on a coach and WE WILL END UP MAKING A MOVE TO MAKE A MOVE!!!!

“Anyway, I see that even you aren’t really defending the coach. You say “whoever’s here next year”. I hope that’s just to stave off that particular bit of abuse from the inhabitants of Rebel-Net.”
REPLYING TO COMMENT FROM Tarkisgod

I have defended the coach in the past and still think he will be just fine given enough time. As far as that comment goes I am just trying to say that I am a fan, a lifelong fan and will be in the stands wearing my Rebel Red colored glasses cheering them on no matter who the coach is. I am not the one behind the curtain making the call on CMM’s future at UNLV. Whatever happens is out of my control.

I personally was very tired of watching the procession of malcontents and prima donnas masquerading as Rebels at the T & M. I am too old to learn the names of 9-12 new guys on the team every year and I am thrilled that we will actually have a kid being honored on Senior Night that has actually been a Rebel for 3 years.

No doubt there will be some turnover even with Menzies this year. That is just the way it is in College Hoops these days. A couple players come to mind I won’t mention and those spots will be filled with some nice pieces. I really think that this team is within a player or 2 of competing for the MWC Title (and I still have hope for the Tournament this year) no matter who the coach is.

As far as canning CMM and bringing in a new coach goes the boosters and DRF better think twice about it if they don’t have a signed contract before dropping the hammer. I certainly wouldn’t want to take a coaching job where I would be canned after 2 years on the job (yes I am in the camp that says this is year 2). There was a Country-Rock crossover band in the early 70’s called POCO and one of their songs was PICKN UP THE PIECES which is exactly what he had to do when he was hired. Recruiting was done by the time our great Administration finally got Menzies approved.

I just don’t have any confidence that our Boosters can come together long enough to agree on a coach and WE WILL END UP MAKING A MOVE TO MAKE A MOVE!!!!
I’m too old to watch us beat the under 500 teams most of the time and rarely beat an above 500 team and watching competition with school nicknames you have no idea about.

Play some real teams and win some of them. Duck, dodge and spin isn’t a fun game.

Reactions: Don-F

sancho-panza.jpg

Go Rebels!

I had a post a year or two ago regarding UNLV athletics and the gist of it was that we need to get into a Power 5 Conference and that the way to do that is with football. Football & TV Sets are the Golden Ticken. I don’t know if Sanchez is our long term solution but he has certainly taken care of the short term and intermediate concerns. Once we are in a Power 5 Conference the money generated will solve a lot of our problems and allow our AD to make decisions apart from the Boosters. What a concept.

At that point we will become a destination rather than a stepping stone or last stop for basketball and football coaches!

Love the pic and sorry I deleted the quotation marks on the above reply!

sancho-panza.jpg

Go Rebels!

I had a post a year or two ago regarding UNLV athletics and the gist of it was that we need to get into a Power 5 Conference and that the way to do that is with football. Football & TV Sets are the Golden Ticken. I don’t know if Sanchez is our long term solution but he has certainly taken care of the short term and intermediate concerns. Once we are in a Power 5 Conference the money generated will solve a lot of our problems and allow our AD to make decisions apart from the Boosters. What a concept.

At that point we will become a destination rather than a stepping stone or last stop for basketball and football coaches!

Love the pic and sorry I deleted the quotation marks on the above reply!
We don’t deserve to be P5..

Look at attendance in basketball and football? Would you want to be associated with that if you’re in the Pac 12?

UNLV is doing everything to keep themselves out.

Wake up.

We don’t deserve to be P5..

Look at attendance in basketball and football? Would you want to be associated with that if you’re in the Pac 12?

UNLV is doing everything to keep themselves out.

Wake up.
It’s early but I will try to wake up but nonetheless football is the solution. Rise to the top of the MWC & they will come calling. Just ask TCU & whoever the other school was that got poached.

It’s early but I will try to wake up but nonetheless football is the solution. Rise to the top of the MWC & they will come calling. Just ask TCU & whoever the other school was that got poached.
Tier 1, footprint and facilities is more important than football when it comes to P5. Somebody has to finish near the bottom, they don’t care who it is.

These kids DO play hard. These kids ARE unselfish. Team chemistry is good, too.

Those are no longer givens. A lack of any of those can sink you as a team. It’s not easy to get that mix.

And that makes it all much more concerning to me. Why are we losing to bad teams and why are we losing so much at home and why are we losing by such large margins against mediocre and poor teams? Good teams you can at least fathom.

Our defense blows. Great defense can keep us in every game except for the rare game where the opposing team basically hits everything they toss at the hoop. I never realized how great a defense Tark's teams played until Kruger coached. His teams played good defense but by comparison it paled to even Tark's weaker teams I watched('85-'86/'87-'88). Menzies
Tier 1, footprint and facilities is more important than football when it comes to P5. Somebody has to finish near the bottom, they don’t care who it is.

So you're saying there IS a chance!:raised_hands:

sancho-panza.jpg

Go Rebels!

I am starting to think that much of the argument over Menzies is what people see as the measure of success. I am, quite frankly, stunned at any claim that MM has succeeded in an objectively definable way. Adjusted for strength of schedule the results from year one to year three are almost indistinguishable, and yet everyone seems to think year one should not count. If year one was SO BAD, wouldn't a step up be automatic? That it is not says more than anything.

If the measure of success is shooting for a top three finish in a crappy conference, a possible automatic bid with a conference tourney run, and some seniors graduating then sure MM might be on the right path. But I doubt any but a small subset of the fans would agree. And before anyone raises the straw man argument that not wanting mediocrity is the same as wanting a top 10 program, please stop. I just want us to be program that is in contention for an at-large bid most years. Can anyone rationally say that is where MM is taking us.

Oh and the Musselman comparison could not be worse for MM supporters.

UNR's record before Muss:

12-19 (2013)
15-17 (2014)
9-22 (2015)

After Muss:

24-14 (2016)
28-7 (2017)
29-8 (2018)
24-1 (and counting)

Nothing MM has done is even close to that. He is not even on the same trajectory. And UNR has none of UNLV's, history, facilities, connections, locational advantages, etc. But sure lets talk up Muss's success as simply the result of him developing long-term players. Nonsense.

Joe is right about football being the answer. $500,000,000.00 reasons. The county gave us a football stadium on the backs of the tourists. We should have a football team of equal stature as the stadium. I think the Big 12 or Pac 12 will come calling. Jones has all the cards now for college football as well as pro for a arena. We have the stadium and the rooms for mega games. Bring it on, if Sanchez can't recruit, hire the guy at Boise or wherever. This is a disgrace to have the 107th rated class in the country. I can't put myself through the agony of unfulfilled expectations for football, basketball is bad enough. He has to prove himself this year, same thing with Marvin, who is a nice guy too. Nice guys maybe finish last.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Blunt, yet 100% accurate.

I'm 46 years old, lost 4 steps to my game, and I think I could dribble penetrate on our guards. That's just unacceptable and I don't understand the strategy for allowing this.
Strategy is simple. Because this league is so bad, close in shots are not gimmies. So let them drive immediately, hope they miss, then chuck up a three the other way really quickly.

He’s been his own worst enemy. He buried himself with lousy records and poor play. He did that. Not the fans. That’s why 10k disappeared to leave him with 2k.
Aha!...Now I get why we've got different takes.. While I’ve been sweating the games, you’ve been counting the gate. Ha!

That was a bit of a cheap shot. and for that I apologize. I accept the reality that the program must generate revenue in order to succeed. Plus, a robust crowd at The Mack is important for home-court advantage.But honestly, laying the dwindling attendance at the feet of Marvin Menzies is grossly unfair. That downward spiral began when Dave Rice, who admittedly managed to knock off the occasional ranked team, couldn’t beat Wyoming or Colorado State. The fact that he had the necessary talent to win those occasional high-profile games, made his abysmal conference performances all the more frustrating.

I’m sure we’d all agree that attendance will improve in direct proportion to the team’s fortunes. Where our opinions diverge is about the direction in which Menzies will take them. And that’s ok. Healthy debate, impassioned, yet respectful, is what sports fans should be doing. But again, if there are only 2k at the Mack, it’s the fault of Rice, T K-M, and the BOR, lest we forget, on a grander scale, Maxson, Frinfrock and Wynn. And hey, as long as I'm aiming my accusatory finger at culprits complicit in the demise of our once magnificent program, let's invite Walter Byers and David Berst to the party. But NOT Marvin Menzies.

If, after another season or two, he hasn’t produced a conference champion, I’ll accept his fate. And I know you’re going to tell me how hollow that goal may be, given the low ranking of the Mountain West, but it’s a good place to start. Win the league, andA then set sights on broader horizons. A MW title would, by definition, carry with it, a trip to the Dance.

It may turn out to be true that his ceiling may prove to be lower than Rebel fans desire, but it appears that most of you want to skip, directly from awful, to the Top-20. We need to become annually competitive before we can become ranked.

But I believe that you, and the most vocal contributors to this site, want to bury the man before he’s had a fair chance to show what he can (or can’t) do.
0511-1008-0717-0654_Bookie_Using_an_Adding_Machine_clipart_image.jpg

Go Rebels!

Aha!...Now I get why we've got different takes.. While I’ve been sweating the games, you’ve been counting the gate. Ha!

That was a bit of a cheap shot. and for that I apologize. I accept the reality that the program must generate revenue in order to succeed. Plus, a robust crowd at The Mack is important for home-court advantage.But honestly, laying the dwindling attendance at the feet of Marvin Menzies is grossly unfair. That downward spiral began when Dave Rice, who admittedly managed to knock off the occasional ranked team, couldn’t beat Wyoming or Colorado State. The fact that he had the necessary talent to win those occasional high-profile games, made his abysmal conference performances all the more frustrating.

I’m sure we’d all agree that attendance will improve in direct proportion to the team’s fortunes. Where our opinions diverge is about the direction in which Menzies will take them. And that’s ok. Healthy debate, impassioned, yet respectful, is what sports fans should be doing. But again, if there are only 2k at the Mack, it’s the fault of Rice, T K-M, and the BOR, lest we forget, on a grander scale, Maxson, Frinfrock and Wynn. And hey, as long as I'm aiming my accusatory finger at culprits complicit in the demise of our once magnificent program, let's invite Walter Byers and David Berst to the party. But NOT Marvin Menzies.

If, after another season or two, he hasn’t produced a conference champion, I’ll accept his fate. And I know you’re going to tell me how hollow that goal may be, given the low ranking of the Mountain West, but it’s a good place to start. Win the league, andA then set sights on broader horizons. A MW title would, by definition, carry with it, a trip to the Dance.

It may turn out to be true that his ceiling may prove to be lower than Rebel fans desire, but it appears that most of you want to skip, directly from awful, to the Top-20. We need to become annually competitive before we can become ranked.

But I believe that you, and the most vocal contributors to this site, want to bury the man before he’s had a fair chance to show what he can (or can’t) do.

Go Rebels!
Working heavily with statistics, there is a huge difference between a trend and a shift. Our trend turned into a dead shift which is systematic failure. And did you notice that you placed zero blame on Menzies for attendance? Completely exonerated from out attendance woes when we don’t play good teams at home, don’t have an exciting products, set records for both numbers of losses at home and margin of defeat at home and in general, we don’t compete well. Somehow those things play zero role in in house attendance dropping from 10k to 2K. I’ll blame Maxson for a lot, but a sudden cliff drop (that’s a shift, not a trend) with attendance isn’t one of them.

You can blame whoever you want, it doesn’t matter. We stand where we stand, bleeding money and fans and quite simply, it’s very easy to predict it will become even worse since the previous season’s results and general vibe heavily impacts the following season.

So you let it keep bleeding out and die or you fix the wound.

Ps, counting gate has been more exciting than 17 point home losses. And it takes less time than the drive home.

Go Rebels!

Good Heavens. At least Baghdad Bob could say he was on the payroll.

If we can make it to the MWC semi’s and play solid while doing it, I’ll be pretty satisfied this season. See y’all at the quarterfinals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT