ADVERTISEMENT

Lay off Coach Menzies

Sonny44

All American
Jan 23, 2010
From time to time, I see knocks on Menzies because the Rebels aren't doing better in the conference. The Reb's are now in 5th place in MWC standings, ahead of 6 other teams. They are only a few hundreths of points behind San Diego State for 4th place. The Reb's are COMPETITIVE! OK, UNR is #1, but so what? I think Menzies is doing a damned fine job and under no circumstances should be fired.

Reactions: TarkisGod
From time to time, I see knocks on Menzies because the Rebels aren't doing better in the conference. The Reb's are now in 5th place in MWC standings, ahead of 6 other teams. They are only a few hundreths of points behind San Diego State for 4th place. The Reb's are COMPETITIVE! OK, UNR is #1, but so what? I think Menzies is doing a damned fine job and under no circumstances should be fired.

We bash Sanchez on this board. Menzies is bashed on the Tarkanian board..

I will lay-off when he wins a NCAA Tourney game or The Conference regular tittle not until then! Mediocrity is Not an option if that where the case we should have just kept CDR ! Smh [smoke]
Winning 2 games all season long against above 500 teams, losing so many games by double digits, losing so many home games, enduring multiple losing streaks, and having the average RPI of the teams you beat be 230; now that is the NEW AND IMPROVED definition of “Competitive”.

The limbo king. Lowest possible expectations and still manage to slide beneath them.

Gotta keep it in context though. He was the hugest Hauck supporter there was.

Winning 2 games all season long against above 500 teams, losing so many games by double digits, losing so many home games, enduring multiple losing streaks, and having the average RPI of the teams you beat be 230; now that is the NEW AND IMPROVED definition of “Competitive”.

The limbo king. Lowest possible expectations and still manage to slide beneath them.

Gotta keep it in context though. He was the hugest Hauck supporter there was.
Statistics, statistics, shmatistics! You guys are not UNLV fans. You are not proud of UNLV unless it's #1 again. It's a good goal, but let's not get carried away. Your fanaticism is more about you than the school. Why not watch your team's basketball? As long as they try, the coaches try, the admin. tries, you should just go support not just the team, but your school.

As far as Hauck is concerned, if he'd have had near the support Sanchez has had, he'd still be at UNLV. When will you guys understand that it's not your coaches, but the program?

Reactions: TarkisGod
Statistics, statistics, shmatistics! You guys are not UNLV fans. You are not proud of UNLV unless it's #1 again. It's a good goal, but let's not get carried away. Your fanaticism is more about you than the school. Why not watch your team's basketball? As long as they try, the coaches try, the admin. tries, you should just go support not just the team, but your school.

As far as Hauck is concerned, if he'd have had near the support Sanchez has had, he'd still be at UNLV. When will you guys understand that it's not your coaches, but the program?
Eyeballs.

That’s all it takes. Don’t need stats.

Rice went the the Big Dance twice with a single season with less than 20 wins with a 64% win percentage. He had people disappointed when the team missed the post season. He had 3 third place finishes and once in 7th place.
Menzies is barely breaking a 50% record playing the weakest schedule in decades. His version of UNLV basketball has been the least memorable of any coach to take the reigns and fans have no expectations of post season play anytime in the near future.

Rice went the the Big Dance twice with a single season with less than 20 wins with a 64% win percentage. He had people disappointed when the team missed the post season. He had 3 third place finishes and once in 7th place.
Menzies is barely breaking a 50% record playing the weakest schedule in decades. His version of UNLV basketball has been the least memorable of any coach to take the reigns and fans have no expectations of post season play anytime in the near future.
We must endure the cold freeze of the Menzizoic era. It’ll be memorable though, just for the wrong things.

But we had heart that game. We showed “competing”. We cut it from 38 to 25. I think it reached that high. That’s heart, that’s coaching. That’s IMPROVEMENT.

Agreed Brotherman. MM is doing a damn fine job. I see a contract extension and a raise after next year....:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I will see your MM & CDR & raise you a Rollie Massimino putting you on notice that I have the best hand!!!

In my mind we have had 1 great coach, 1 excellent coach & 1 real good coach in the following order. Tark, Todd & Kruger
That is Roland Todd correct?

Menzies is really bad and will be fired soon, but the program was in much better shape when Rice took over compared to Menzies.

Menzies is gone. He has proved he is in way over his head and is not capable of taking UNLV to elite status. This year the team can't even beat an average team. What is UNLV's best win this year? Probably a buzzer beater against a mediocre byu team in vegas. Otherwise it is all bad teams. It is over for Menzies. Utah State fired a coach after 3 seasons despite him being a long time assistant before taking the job. They were smart enough to make a change and right now they are 21-6 and a bubble team for the dance in Craig Smith's first year. If unlv doesn't make a change this offseason it will show they have lower standards than USU.

Menzies is gone. He has proved he is in way over his head and is not capable of taking UNLV to elite status. This year the team can't even beat an average team. What is UNLV's best win this year? Probably a buzzer beater against a mediocre byu team in vegas. Otherwise it is all bad teams. It is over for Menzies. Utah State fired a coach after 3 seasons despite him being a long time assistant before taking the job. They were smart enough to make a change and right now they are 21-6 and a bubble team for the dance in Craig Smith's first year. If unlv doesn't make a change this offseason it will show they have lower standards than USU.
Christ. Imagine going from South Dakota to Utah state as an upgrade in jobs. This poor guys gonna look like the crypt keeper when Washington state calls him.

Edit: crypt keeper without the bitchin silver bullet band mullet

I would imagine Craig Smith will get a much better job than Washington State. His turnaround in year one is impressive at USU. If he keeps USU at the level they are this year for a few more years, he'll have plenty of P5 schools wanting him. I could see him taking a Big 10 job like Wisconsin or Iowa. He is from that region.

I for one do not believe we should not fire Menzies.
I mean Thad Matta ....... Marvin Menzies. Hmmm..

tenor.gif

Anybody find the title of this thread a little bit funny? A double entendre in a way?

Lay off MM... as in, stop giving him heat.

Lay off MM, as in relieve of duties.
You know what I meant. You guys are not talking about "laying him off." You want him fired, not "laid off." Are you a lawyer, btw?

Of course I know what you meant. Considering what’s going on, I found that it could have two meanings amusing. No, not an attorney. My brother is.
You guys are suffering from the same thing the MT University football Grizzlies are: one time glory and a longing for that glory. MT has hired Bobby Hauck back, hoping for that "old glory." Hopefully, he can get us back there as in the old days. We'll see.

UM's football program, like UNLV's BB program, was destroyed after Bobby left, by an unwise president. All I'm saying is I feel your pain re: UNLV's BB situation, but compared to the football program, I think Menzies has done very well holding UNLV's own in the MWC.

You guys are suffering from the same thing the MT University football Grizzlies are: one time glory and a longing for that glory. MT has hired Bobby Hauck back, hoping for that "old glory." Hopefully, he can get us back there as in the old days. We'll see.

UM's football program, like UNLV's BB program, was destroyed after Bobby left, by an unwise president. All I'm saying is I feel your pain re: UNLV's BB situation, but compared to the football program, I think Menzies has done very well holding UNLV's own in the MWC.
He's done terribly, IMO.

And if there aren't fans left that have expectations, nothing would ever get accomplished.

o_OCan't tell if serious...

.500 in the MWC would be ok for Air Force or CSU but with our history and facilities we should be battling for 1st or 2nd every year. We're not and we haven't been in serious contention for over 6 or 7 years.

o_OCan't tell if serious...

.500 in the MWC would be ok for Air Force or CSU but with our history and facilities we should be battling for 1st or 2nd every year. We're not and we haven't been in serious contention for over 6 or 7 years.
Count the wins against teams that have finished above 500 the past three years. Bad. Really bad. Look at the average rating of the teams we’ve beaten. Bad, really bad, over 200. Look at the average rating of teams we’ve lost to over the years. Bad, real bad.

It means...

We beat nobodies.

We beat some nobodies.

We lose to some nobodies.

27 losses at home in 3 years if we lose MWCT.

So far, 26 double digit losses. We don’t even compete most of the time.

It’s bad. Real bad. Worst we’ve ever witnessed.

Count the wins against teams that have finished above 500 the past three years. Bad. Really bad. Look at the average rating of the teams we’ve beaten. Bad, really bad, over 200. Look at the average rating of teams we’ve lost to over the years. Bad, real bad.

It means...

We beat nobodies.

We beat some nobodies.

We lose to some nobodies.

27 losses at home in 3 years if we lose MWCT.

So far, 26 double digit losses. We don’t even compete most of the time.

It’s bad. Real bad. Worst we’ve ever witnessed.
How many home losses did Tark have at UNLV?

He wasn’t laid off. He was flat out kicked to the curb. As suspected. As was the plan since ....

He wasn’t laid off. He was flat out kicked to the curb. As suspected. As was the plan since ....
Have you read Ed Graney's assessment in the LVRJ yesterday? He was satisfied w/ Manzies record, located more serious issues w/ the program, beginning w/ DRF. Also, you guys threw Dave Rice under the bus. What the H is it w/ you guys? :weary:

Have you read Ed Graney's assessment in the LVRJ yesterday? He was satisfied w/ Manzies record, located more serious issues w/ the program, beginning w/ DRF. Also, you guys threw Dave Rice under the bus. What the H is it w/ you guys? :weary:
You mean the guy who graduated from SDSU and actively roots for SDSU, that guy? The one that claims objectivity but has zero of it?

No, I didn’t read it.

There are more serious issues with the program than coaches. Where have you been? Even when we won a national championship, those issues were there. They’ve never left. Program wise, it’s freaking extremely flawed. How Tark overcame that is a near miracle.

Reactions: UNLVFansincebirth22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT