ADVERTISEMENT

Know your Opponent -CMU

rebelbuck

Retired Number
Aug 14, 2007
As we all know they are coming off a crazy win of Oklahoma State. Whether or not that play should have counted is a whole other issue but this team is very sound.

Here are links to their Message boards (sorry its that other site)-

http://www.scout.com/college/central-michigan/forums/2793-kelly-shorts-stadium

Its like 70/30 their fans think we are going to be a cake walk. They have a very solid defense that doesn't give anything away. I think our WR's and RB's will be able to make some plays and our O Line should match up pretty well with their front. Going to take a very good game for us on Offense to have the success we will need to win.

Our Defense will need to play like they did this past 3rd Quarter against CMU. Need to find a way to get some sort of pressure on Rush. I do think we match up better and their run game is not going to be nearly as solid as what we saw from UCLA. They are efficient on Offense but don't have the explosive athletes we saw this past weekend. CMU just plays really well and executes. A little hangover from their big win wouldn't hurt our chances either.

This is a big game. Come back 2-1 into a 2 game home stand would be huge for this program. A loss wouldn't be the end of the world but puts a little pressure on the next 2 games.

Their prediction thread looks a lot like ours will, but with results switched, I'm sure. The overwhelming majority call for CMU to win, with a handful of blowouts but most two scores favoring the home team. There's even one predicting a UNLV win. Overall, they resemble us: good fans, mostly practical, and a few zealots.

I agree with Rebelbuck, though, that the O needs to clean things up and just execute better, while the D, especially the DL, needs to take no prisoners. Absolutely pivotal game from where the fringe fan sits. Most see some sort of a directional attached to a school name and figure they're cupcakes that we should just walk all over them. CMU is definitely not a cupcake and, for sure, we are not to the point as a program where we can take anyone for granted. But a road win against a solid Chips team would definitely help put additional butts in the seats when the Vandals come calling.

Last edited:
Reactions: mvvsmith
Has a betting line come out yet for this game? Curious to see where oddsmakers lay this vs the expectations of all of us here.

Good game to take if you think we can win outright. +370

I thought their fans were pretty level headed and knowledgeable. Unlike UCLA, nobody called UNLV a "High School team" or "a f'ing JV team" which is always encouraging.

I would be pretty surprised if either team wins the game by more than 10 points. Anything in that range from us by 10 to them by 10 sounds about right.

They are probably riding high after an emotional win, deserved or no.

If we just came back to win on the road at solid P5 team, we would be probably predicting a victory too.

Truth is these teams are probably pretty close as a match up. The spread seem a bit high. I would have guessed 7-10 pts.

I can see the Rebels winning outright, should be a very good indicator of how good this season can be. CMU is probably equivalent to a top tier team in the MWC right now. Win this game and it might show how good UINLV can be this year..

If our defense played the way they did in the 3 quarter every game, we don't lose any more games this year.

Reactions: RebelBuzz
Anything less than a win is a disappointment. No moral victories.
Disappointment: certainly. Cause for concern?... Unless we get beat handily, I would say it isn't a cause for concern.

CMU was a 7-5 team last year that returned the vast majority of their roster. This is a good football team. It is a true road game with an early start. If the Rebels are able to pull off this win, it would be a huge win. Unfortunately, a loss to CMU will be seen by the uninformed general public as a sign that UNLV football is going nowhere. In reality, we can lose to CMU and still have a very good season, even a bowl season.

At some point, if UNLV football rises to levels we all hope it does, wins against CMU will be a foregone conclusion. We aren't there yet.

Last edited:
In the words of troll rebelrobert this will be a "cupcake" game/ schedule.

Our guys practice daily around 8am so the early start doesn't concern me as much as it would have in the past. We also have better travel arrangements/accommodations.

Sanchez likes the guys to get there early and get a walk through of the stadium, after playing in front of 60K+ on the road I don't think the 20K or so they will see will be a big deal to our team. Will be a huge test though as this is a very veteran team we are facing who doesn't make a lot of mistakes. Will take a break or 2 and solid play on both sides of the ball to get a win.

Reactions: mvvsmith
Our guys practice daily around 8am so the early start doesn't concern me as much as it would have in the past. We also have better travel arrangements/accommodations.

Sanchez likes the guys to get there early and get a walk through of the stadium, after playing in front of 60K+ on the road I don't think the 20K or so they will see will be a big deal to our team. Will be a huge test though as this is a very veteran team we are facing who doesn't make a lot of mistakes. Will take a break or 2 and solid play on both sides of the ball to get a win.
Thought they would have a larger crowd but just looked up and they average 15k per game, which is surprising for a team that is normally decent

I like the Rebels in this one, tough spot on the road again but this is how they turn into a good team. i wont bet the money line but the points are very inviting. I think UNLV has a bigger line than ok st.. since when can that be said?

Reactions: depuppy3 and dcut03
Thought they would have a larger crowd but just looked up and they average 15k per game, which is surprising for a team that is normally decent
CMU is in Mt. Pleasant. Only an hour from Michigan State and 1.5 from Michigan.

I lived in Michigan for a number of years and all the smaller universities suffered because fans were for both the local college and one of the big two. It split attendance.

I like the Rebels in this one, tough spot on the road again but this is how they turn into a good team. i wont bet the money line but the points are very inviting. I think UNLV has a bigger line than ok st.. since when can that be said?
We will average 305-310 lbs. on the offensive line in a few years from now.

Reactions: RebelinWA
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT