ADVERTISEMENT

Just Score!

Pistol Pete 1

Retired Number
Sep 22, 2008
Never been a coach but I played a lot of ball in my younger days and one thing that always rings clear to me is that you have to outscore the other team to win. We just don't have enough guys that can score on this team on a consistent basis. First this guy has a good game, then a different guy and then another but during this streak of losses we never have more than 1 guy at a time.

I believe MM has got the guys running an effective offense, they are getting open shots and opportunities to put the ball in the hole but they are just not really talented offensively. Defense is pride and desire. A mindset that the other guy isn't gonna show you up, no matter what you aren't gonna let him score. Of course they are gonna score points because it is basketball but that has to be the attitude.

Would love to see MM bring in 6 or 7 guys that can really score and then if they want to see the court they need to play defense. As a coach I would rather be trying to teach and get guys to play defense rather than teaching them how to shoot! If they haven't figured out how to get the ball in the hole by the time they get to college it probably isn't gonna happen except with the bigs down low.

Gotta outscore the other team, plain and simple.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Never been a coach but I played a lot of ball in my younger days and one thing that always rings clear to me is that you have to outscore the other team to win. We just don't have enough guys that can score on this team on a consistent basis. First this guy has a good game, then a different guy and then another but during this streak of losses we never have more than 1 guy at a time.

I believe MM has got the guys running an effective offense, they are getting open shots and opportunities to put the ball in the hole but they are just not really talented offensively. Defense is pride and desire. A mindset that the other guy isn't gonna show you up, no matter what you aren't gonna let him score. Of course they are gonna score points because it is basketball but that has to be the attitude.

Would love to see MM bring in 6 or 7 guys that can really score and then if they want to see the court they need to play defense. As a coach I would rather be trying to teach and get guys to play defense rather than teaching them how to shoot! If they haven't figured out how to get the ball in the hole by the time they get to college it probably isn't gonna happen except with the bigs down low.

Gotta outscore the other team, plain and simple.
I agree with the premise.

If you can't score, you better be elite/near elite defensively (see past SDSU teams). I'd prefer a team that is balance instead of lopsided (all offense/no defense, all defense/no offense).

This team is poor offensively and poor defensively. How many uncontested, wide open, full set and squared shots did we allow AFA to take last night? Two steps slow and zero urgency to reach them. Effort was low last night aside from a five minute stint in the first half where they clicked.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT