ADVERTISEMENT

Just one more of these gimmes to get through and then we can get down to business

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
Never seen a season with so many exhibitions/scrimmages, but it is what it is.

This team was flat out bored. They didn't have focus coming in, they lost it during the game. They knew they could beat them by 50. The other side was that piss poor.

Next opponent, don't give me they beat Wyoming stuff. It says alot when a team like Northern Colorado is a "step up" from the typical competition UNLV has feasted on. They're still a crap team, but at least they shoot the ball relatively well - which is good heading into the conference opener vs Boise. I hope they spread it out and fire missiles from all angles in defeat. Would love to get that work in before Boise.

I suspect we will see more of the same. An easy win where the team is complacent for most of the minutes. They want to be challenged, they are bored when they aren't - conference play opens a new chapter where they can focus on a new goal. That should recharge them and I really think it will. They'll get better once conference arrives, but human nature took over in many of these OOC games. That's not an indictment on the players or the motivational ability of the coaches. I'd love the "rah, rah, every game is your last, win one for the gipper, every time you step on the court you compete at 110%...." But it just doesn't happen anymore. Kids need to be engaged, challenged, if it comes easy, they'll take it easy .... give them a battle and that's when you'll see the heavy focus and effort.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.