ADVERTISEMENT

Jovan Mooring commit

All these players look decent and should be here for their scholarship years which at this time Is breath of fresh air for me. We have lacked consistency during the Rice years. Next year will be tough so we will see what kind of coach Menzies is I guess.

So, who do we have? What am I missing?

Bigs:
Cheikna Dembele, 6-11 Freshman
Djordjije Slijivancanin, 6-10 Freshman

Forwards:
Ben Coupet, 6 -7 Freshman
Kris Clyburn, 6-6 Junior
Tyrell Green, 6-7 Senior
Dwayne Morgan, 6-8, Junior
Christian Jones, 6-7, Senior (updated)

Guards:
Uche Ofoegbu, 6-4 Senior
Zion Morgan, 6-4 Freshman
Jaylen Poyser, 6-4, Sophomore
Jovan Mooring, 6-2 Junior

Jordan Johnson, 5-9 (Junior next year, must sit out 2016-17)

Last edited:
So, who do we have? What am I missing?

Bigs:
Cheikna Dembele, 6-11 Freshman
Djordjije Slijivancanin, 6-10 Freshman

Forwards:
Ben Coupet, 6 -7 Freshman
Kris Clyburn, 6-6 Junior
Tyrell Green, 6-7 Senior
Dwayne Morgan, 6-8, Junior

Guards:
Uche Ofoegbu, 6-4 Senior
Zion Morgan, 6-4 Freshman
Jaylen Poyser, 6-4, Sophomore
Jovan Mooring, 6-2 Junior

Jordan Johnson, 5-9 (Junior nest year, must sit out 2016-17)
Is Cornish official one way or another?
You are missing Austin Starr and possibly Jaylen Ballou who would be a freshman 6'0" guard. He verbally committed but nothing is signed yet, may be a walk on. We have 2 schlarships left. As for Cornish, I asked Coach Menzies @ BAR HENDERSON about him, and he said that Jordan has "chosen a different path" and that he still sees him every day and will help him any way he can but he won't be a Rebel.

Decent size on the front court. Excited to see how some of the freshman develop over the years.

You are missing Austin Starr and possibly Jaylen Ballou who would be a freshman 6'0" guard. He verbally committed but nothing is signed yet, may be a walk on. We have 2 schlarships left. As for Cornish, I asked Coach Menzies @ BAR HENDERSON about him, and he said that Jordan has "chosen a different path" and that he still sees him every day and will help him any way he can but he won't be a Rebel.

Cornish has been recruited over with Kris Clyburn. No spot or need for him on the roster.

So he was the national JUCO D-II player of the year last year. I hope he can transition to NCAA DI. Looks to be a good get. He was here playing in an all star game April 30th. Did anybody see him play?
he had 13 points in the allstar game here.

Reactions: khokhol8
Anybody who is the JUCO POY, should be playing D1. Do we think he should have the same numbers? No, but he will be good, and he can compete. I feel that whoever wins the NIT tournament probably should have been invited to the NCAA. Probably the same case here. Winning the NIT does not translate into winning the NCAA, but it does translate that you can put a decent product on the floor and probably get a win or two. I think that this was a good pick up, considering the timing, nothing but props for the coaches.

Reactions: manic water
Anybody who is the JUCO POY, should be playing D1. Do we think he should have the same numbers? No, but he will be good, and he can compete. I feel that whoever wins the NIT tournament probably should have been invited to the NCAA. Probably the same case here. Winning the NIT does not translate into winning the NCAA, but it does translate that you can put a decent product on the floor and probably get a win or two. I think that this was a good pick up, considering the timing, nothing but props for the coaches.
For clarification, it was D2 JC, not D1 JC.

It'd be interesting to see listings of D2 JC POY's/first teamers and where they ended up/how they did. I did a quick search and could find them but I suspect it's out there somewhere.

Reactions: 954haas and Mjs_702
I apologize. I hope he does well. Wow, I feel like I might have been over sold. What great journalism these guys write, I just read JUCO...ouch. Again, I hope he does well, but I imagine that a 6'5" is probably playing center there.

Reactions: Mjs_702
For clarification, it was D2 JC, not D1 JC.

It'd be interesting to see listings of D2 JC POY's/first teamers and where they ended up/how they did. I did a quick search and could find them but I suspect it's out there somewhere.
Man, I didn't even know there was a Juco D2.

I apologize. I hope he does well. Wow, I feel like I might have been over sold. What great journalism these guys write, I just read JUCO...ouch. Again, I hope he does well, but I imagine that a 6'5" is probably playing center there.
Easy mistake. Most don't know there's a D2 JC. I'm sure there are certain situations that put decent players there. Let's hope we got one of the very few.

LOL. Holy crap. I hope this kid is good. Because we are using a lot of scholarships. No reason to gamble with the future. On the same note, at least we have a team this next year. Because when Beard left, there wasn't anything left in the cupboard. So, on a positive we will have a team and the game will be tied at least once every night.

I wonder what the odds are on us winning games this year. I might just go look that up.

LOL. Holy crap. I hope this kid is good. Because we are using a lot of scholarships. No reason to gamble with the future. On the same note, at least we have a team this next year. Because when Beard left, there wasn't anything left in the cupboard. So, on a positive we will have a team and the game will be tied at least once every night.

I wonder what the odds are on us winning games this year. I might just go look that up.
With the non-con schedule out now, looking at it and considering the MWC, I'd guess a pretty appropriate over/under might be 15.5 wins in the regular season? Somewhere around 500?

I mentioned this on a previous post. I would assume that we should be around 500, but I think the goal would be to learn during the non conference schedule and win during the conference and hopefully be on the upper end of an otherwise crappy conference.

I think I'll judge on progress, effort and attitude as the season progresses. Reserve the right to move the goalpost a little on the wins/losses based on what we see. This is largely a mulligan year, sadly.

500 is probably a reasonable expectation as a starting point I suppose. Talent isn't where it has been, but it doesn't appear all that subpar versus other rosters in a bad MWC.

Reactions: manic water
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT