ADVERTISEMENT

Joshua Jefferson

I don't mind offering the kid, but I think we're relatively okay with the 4 right now--assuming both Hill and Whaley return. This team desperately needs outside shooting ESPECIALLY on catch and shoot action, and he doesn't provide that any better really than LuRod--in fact LuRod was a better 3 point shooter this year than Jefferson.

So this either makes me question, again, roster construction--or the staff knows something about Whaley or Hill that they haven't shared yet.

Well, Hill will be coming off an ACL injury.. He might not be ready to go by the start of the season, and even if he is, he might not have an impact early enough to be able to provide meaningful minutes till alter in the season. Also, Kruger loves him 3/4s that can play at the 5, lol...
Also he played with DTJ in HS. So theres that

Knee surgery an issue? Other than this I don't know why he would leave. He was a Soph starter. Can rebound well. Had 11 rebs against us.

God I remember watching that game. My neighbor from Oakland was stoned to the gills..

And they out ran us and beat us because we couldn’t stop a transition bucket in closing OT. Lol

I don't mind offering the kid, but I think we're relatively okay with the 4 right now--assuming both Hill and Whaley return. This team desperately needs outside shooting ESPECIALLY on catch and shoot action, and he doesn't provide that any better really than LuRod--in fact LuRod was a better 3 point shooter this year than Jefferson.

So this either makes me question, again, roster construction--or the staff knows something about Whaley or Hill that they haven't shared yet.
Well, we tend to need a bunch of wings since no one stays healthy. Hill's health is a bit of a concern.

But I am with you, a 4 isn't exactly high on my wish list. Though, it is hard to say no to a quality player like this. Still need shooters, another quality playmaking ball handler and more outside shooting.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Well, we tend to need a bunch of wings since no one stays healthy. Hill's health is a bit of a concern.

But I am with you, a 4 isn't exactly high on my wish list. Though, it is hard to say no to a quality player like this. Still need shooters, another quality playmaking ball handler and more outside shooting.
I agree, and if behind the scenes Whaley or Hill are unhappy, then it's a smart move. Still, Front Court Depth Piece isn't really what I was wishing for this offseason.

I agree, decent player but he doesn't fill a need. Shooters, shooters...

We just got pushed around by bigger more physical team.. 6-8 220lb kid that looks the size is what we need.. shooters too, but we need physical size
The size is supposed to be Whaley but we need guys who can score around DJ, at least two better than average scorers to go with beef at the 4.

Is Whaley unhappy?

Whaley is just one guy. He needs to be able to be spelled and or be allowed to play where he creates a matchup issue. Jefferson does have a shooters touch from outside.. I also suspect theres a good chance that if Jefferson is here, Cottrell is not.

Whaley is just one guy. He needs to be able to be spelled and or be allowed to play where he creates a matchup issue. Jefferson does have a shooters touch from outside.. I also suspect theres a good chance that if Jefferson is here, Cottrell is not.
Doesn’t Hill fill this void though?

I just don’t want logjam at the 4 spot or a bunch of guys who are similar in Whaley, Hill, Barnabie and that Bear guy from Juco!

We need two guys who can create space with the dribble drive, shoot the step back 3 or pull up in the mid range!

Whaley, yes, I guess. Who knows these days. Would be incredibly bad for Kruger if he cant keep the only other for sure player that needs to be on this roster next year. Also, Id rather have Whaley, known quantity and dude is a beast with energy.
Honestly though, if Kevin cant keep his best players over a few late season unhappiness then he needs to go as well. How may off seasons do we need to have where a kid is unhappy late in the season and cuts and runs because Kevin cant address that or choses not to...

Reactions: the Florian Trout
I have a question;

Do you guys think Whaley comes back next season? It looked like Whaley wasnt happy towards the end of the season and his dad seemed unhappy sometimes too (yes I know that all players want their kid to touch the ball more). Follow up question; would you rather have Jefferson or Whaley?
At this moment Jefferson seems more “well rounded” so I’d say Jefferson if I could only have one! Whaley is a bull but we need more than a few highlight dunks to be consistently competitive going forward!

I have a question;

Do you guys think Whaley comes back next season? It looked like Whaley wasnt happy towards the end of the season and his dad seemed unhappy sometimes too (yes I know that all players want their kid to touch the ball more). Follow up question; would you rather have Jefferson or Whaley?
Dont give a damn.

If I had to choose between the 2 I would say Jefferson, can shoot outside but still has the size to bang down low and has exp. with DJ already.
I’d add the transfer from St Mary’s or that 6’7 wing from Pepperdine to go with Jefferson. I’d try to keep Whaley but I wouldn’t lie to him, I’d say your going to have to compete to start next year and you will need more offense than a few highlight dunks to be in the starting lineup!

Thats really under selling what Whaley did this year... Kruger played him out of position so often down the stretch and especially after Boone got hurt. But he moved him to play the % when Boone had to come off and thats not where he needs to be. His dunks were nice, but he averaged almost 8ppgs, 4 rebounds, and finished in top 5 scoring.. He wasnt supposed to be a starter this year and stepped up when Hill went down. Im not saying he cant improve and get better, but man thats under selling what he was able to do when others didnt. He was also really strong defensively and learned as the game went on so you didnt often see him pick up dumb fouls late

I’d add the transfer from St Mary’s or that 6’7 wing from Pepperdine to go with Jefferson. I’d try to keep Whaley but I wouldn’t lie to him, I’d say your going to have to compete to start next year and you will need more offense than a few highlight dunks to be in the starting lineup!
I would take both Ajayi and Jefferson and start them both.

Reactions: rebel5280
I have a question;

Whaley - but only because Jefferson has had knee surgery and that's always a big IF.

Thats really under selling what Whaley did this year... Kruger played him out of position so often down the stretch and especially after Boone got hurt. But he moved him to play the % when Boone had to come off and thats not where he needs to be. His dunks were nice, but he averaged almost 8ppgs, 4 rebounds, and finished in top 5 scoring.. He wasnt supposed to be a starter this year and stepped up when Hill went down. Im not saying he cant improve and get better, but man thats under selling what he was able to do when others didnt. He was also really strong defensively and learned as the game went on so you didnt often see him pick up dumb fouls late
I just think Whaley is severely limited offensively. Who knows if he gets better or not, I’m tired of hoping key guys develop, DJ has spoiled me a little bit!

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I just think Whaley is severely limited offensively. Who knows if he gets better or not, I’m tired of hoping key guys develop, DJ has spoiled me a little bit!
Whaley may not be much of a jump shooter, but he is a pretty effective low post scorer. It had been years since we have had someone that can get buckets in the post. Sure Kalib was better, but i'm not so keen on throwing away players with this capability.
Cherry may have some of this, we will see what translates to this level. I don't remember Jefferson from playing him, I mostly remember their center.
I expect Whaley to return. I'm not sure what he would be upset about. Didn't get much run early, but he struggled early. But he was a key piece down the stretch, we played him a ton, and we tried to get him the ball a lot.

Reactions: reagan21
That 6'7" shooting guard from Pepperdine committed to Gonzaga yesterday. He is from Kent, Wa. so he knows the league and Spokane. I think he only has one year left.

Reactions: rebel5280
Whaley may not be much of a jump shooter, but he is a pretty effective low post scorer. It had been years since we have had someone that can get buckets in the post. Sure Kalib was better, but i'm not so keen on throwing away players with this capability.
Cherry may have some of this, we will see what translates to this level. I don't remember Jefferson from playing him, I mostly remember their center.
I expect Whaley to return. I'm not sure what he would be upset about. Didn't get much run early, but he struggled early. But he was a key piece down the stretch, we played him a ton, and we tried to get him the ball a lot.
My problem with Whaley is not his stats, he is very good at 1ft shots at the rim and dunks. I’d like to see a simple “competent“ jump hook and a face up shot of some kind from him before next season.

The bull in the china shop works only so well, he needs more of an arsenal than that at this level!

Someone else posted he may be unhappy, at what who knows but I hope that he is not Keyshawn Hall part II!

Reactions: j. spilotro
Yep!
Bear Cherry is 6’11 260lbs and Pape is 7’0 but only like 200lbs!
Bean pole, know nothing about his game but even if he isn't a big body hopefully he can at least get a few boards a game. Something we could use this year though it got better later in the season.

My problem with Whaley is not his stats, he is very good at 1ft shots at the rim and dunks. I’d like to see a simple “competent“ jump hook and a face up shot of some kind from him before next season.

The bull in the china shop works only so well, he needs more of an arsenal than that at this level!

Someone else posted he may be unhappy, at what who knows but I hope that he is not Keyshawn Hall part II!
I think he is already pretty effective at getting buckets at this level. Sure it would be nice to expand his arsenal some, but that isn't his biggest need. I would say his ability to pass out of the post could use some work. He was better than Kalib, and he does make quick decisions, but he often would just casually throw the ball to the other team. Last night was especially bad for that.

Bean pole, know nothing about his game but even if he isn't a big body hopefully he can at least get a few boards a game. Something we could use this year though it got better later in the season.
I tried to figure out how to go to his games here in Las Vegas and I could never get it done. Has anyone seen Pape play?

I tried to figure out how to go to his games here in Las Vegas and I could never get it done. Has anyone seen Pape play?
Ask @TimothyC3 He knows more about him. Think Diong. Long, athletic, very good shot blocker. Probably more advanced in his offensive game than Diong at this age.

Ajayi is going to Gonzaga. Already committed
Yeah, we had a shot ... UNLV or Gonzaga ... tough choice.

Alot of guys we are drooling over are way out of UNLV's league. We do not recruit high level. Can't match the allure of the bigger teams by NIL, by future, even by past since the past is a distant past.

There is no way Jefferson doesnt end up here. Its a lock. We were the first to offer him which was right after he entered the portal. DJ has been pushing for him to come since the summer.
If Enfield goes to SMU and Dutcher goes to USC, does UNLV end up with any of the USC or SDSU players or 2024 recruits?

Here’s a scouting report from Pango’s top 100 camp last June. Also, Pape did make the top 30 game at the end of the camp. He appeared to compete very well. From On3:

Height/Weight: 7-0/195
School: Las Vegas (NV) Trinity International
On3 NIL Valuation: NA
2024 On3 150: No. 79

The skinny: It is a fluidity thing with Pape N’diaye. That athletic prowess mixed with length, size, and natural timing. Simply put, he is a rim protector. Despite his thin frame, Ndiaye is not afraid to mix things up around the basket. During the NBPA Top 100 Camp in June, Ndiaye was a constant presence around the rim, throwing back 4.2 blocks per game. His offensive game is still coming around, but he plays within himself. During his Las Vegas Knicks games on the Pro16 Circuit, he averaged 9.6 points. But he also threw in 4.3 blocks per game. As he continues adding weight, the way he moves is unique.

Reactions: bcvegaspt

BTW Keyshawn is transferring again from George Mason

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT